Jimmy Ray Rodgers Sentenced to LIFE IN PRISON

It's been updated now. I just walked in the door from being at work. :)

Per comments in this thread, I updated it to LIFE IN PRISON. I am unclear if it is LWOP. Haven't had a chance to watch any videos. If someone knows different, please advise with a clip of Judge Kyle reading his sentence. Thanks!

No parole for JR, beach:

Parole - Release Types - Florida Commission on Offender Review

Currently, all inmates whose crimes were committed prior to October 1, 1983 are eligible for parole consideration. In addition:
  1. any inmate who committed a first degree murder, a felony murder, or the crime of making, possessing, throwing, projecting, placing, or discharging a destructive device (or the attempt of) prior to May 25, 1994;
  2. any inmate who committed all other capital felonies prior to October 1, 1995;
  3. any inmate who committed a continuing criminal enterprise (violation of s. 893.20, F.S.) prior to June 17, 1993;
  4. any inmate who committed a murder of a law enforcement officer (and other specified officers) prior to January 1, 1990;
  5. any inmate who committed a murder of a justice or judge prior to October 1, 1990;
  6. any inmate who committed a felony prior to October 1, 1983, or those elected to be sentenced “outside the guidelines” for felonies committed prior to July 1, 1984; and
  7. any inmate who received a habitual felony offender sentence prior to October 1, 1988 are eligible for parole consideration.

This trial has been so painful....I came upon it late and have been gripped by it--I am extremely sympathetic to Teresa's mother--her pain is palpable to me. There isn't any real justice for what was done to beautiful Teresa, but I hope that having the killers locked up will help somewhat.
As an aside, I have tried finding out via WS admin by sending private messages and an email--what does it mean that you don't have privileges to post on a thread? I don't think think that I have done anything wrong-- or is this because I am newer to this site? Are posts always locked after a certain amount of time? Thank you very much!

At the top of the agreement, where it says 2d degree murder, it specifies life as the maximum sentence. So, is the sentence, 25 to life?

No, life would be the possible max sentence for second degree murder; CWW adjudicated guilt for that. Then the State offers the 25 y sentence. That is the deal. He gets away with 25y. JR was offered a deal as well prior to his trial, something to keep in mind.

I find it interesting how JR's brother describes JR's difficult childhood etc. and yet, one became a lawyer and the other got life without parole..how strange.

ALL IMO

-Nin

Life without parole seems reasonable for crimes committed. It saddens me to hear the brother recount this upbringing, especially JRR. I worked as a family services case manager for a District Attorney’s Office for several years. JRR would have been a child (and families) who the school system would refer for early intervention services that would include individual/family counseling, parenting classes and anger management. These wrap around services would include referrals to LE and OCS. Could you imagine the changes that could have occurred during the informative years? Child watching *advertiser censored* with parent...gun charges for father’s gun collection. JRR would probably not crossed paths with CWW. Possibly the military would had turn this kid into a man. Dad had an expensive gun collection and expensive cars but child(ren) didn’t have regular meals as per school system.

Life without parole seems reasonable for crimes committed. It saddens me to hear the brother recount this upbringing, especially JRR. I worked as a family services case manager for a District Attorney’s Office for several years. JRR would have been a child (and families) who the school system would refer for early intervention services that would include individual/family counseling, parenting classes and anger management. These wrap around services would include referrals to LE and OCS. Could you imagine the changes that could have occurred during the informative years? Child watching *advertiser censored* with parent...gun charges for father’s gun collection. JRR would probably not crossed paths with CWW. Possibly the military would had turn this kid into a man. Dad had an expensive gun collection and expensive cars but child(ren) didn’t have regular meals as per school system.
Thank you for your thoughtful post. I felt very sad hearing from the social worker that JWW didn't have enough to eat and would inhale three peanut butter sandwiches at school because he didn't have meals at home. Very sad story of neglect--impoverished and abused. He needed a lot of support that he never got.

This post is what I'd call after the trials and sentencing thoughts and therapy, and JMO.

Just wanted to say I found watching Jimmy go through his trial and sentencing I saw his focus was steady, no crazy note taking and antics like someone else we know. I found his emotional reactions appropriate and closer to sincere, at least, than the beyond bad fake crying and ridiculous facial expressions of Mark during his trial.

MS's defense tried to say he came from a broken home and had a rough childhood, but really it was no where near as bad as JRR's childhood.

We all make decisions at forks in the road. JRR was so close to finally riding a wave of change and opportunity in his life with a good job, a caring woman, and children looking up to him. He could have really gone to see his brother graduate that weekend instead of going with CWW to kill. He would've been able to be there when his own child was born. It is sad because Teresa loved life and helping people, and JRR was so close to finally having a good life, but he instead took hers. He made such the wrong decision.

I can't imagine spending a lifetime behind bars, but I also can't imagine choosing to kill someone. JRR knows how to focus and he can think. There can be no excuses for brutally killing a human being.

Well, as cold hearted as i am, i must say after hearing about JRR's childhood, i believe a bit more that he was absolutely manipulated by CWW to take part in the murder. Remembering that it was stated many times CWW was a 'mentor' to him, i think JRR would do anything to please him. Yes, he chose to do it, but i am actually wondering if it wasn't on the trip down that the entire story was told to him. I fully believe he got what he deserved with Life, and it always bothered me about CWW saying how he got 'out of control' with the hammer. I think that is EXACTLY what CWW wanted to happen, so he had a way to 'back out' of being the one to kill TS. It does explain more about JRR's looks, attitudes and just 'vacant' stares sometimes. The boy had issues. And he mentally is still a kid. He had NO ONE growing up, except his brother, who admits he left him in the hell to get away himself. His brother was saved by going in the military. It gave him what he needed to get back on track. JRR had nothing.

JRR's brother broke my heart when he said he regretted not having the foresight to know Jimmy needed more than he could give. I hope he is not blaming himself. He was in an impossible situation, hardly more than a kid himself. He surely had his own issues to deal with after living through the changes in his mother's mental health and her suicide.

I kind of (I waver here) think the felony charges stemming from resisting arrest on the day of his father's funeral, and having his father's guns in the house after that are a failure of the system - maybe failure isn't the right word - but if someone along the way could have advocated for getting him some help and lessened the charges, we'd have a completely different outcome. He was intending to enter the military but wasn't allowed to because of the felony charges, but if he could have that might have made a huge difference in the lives of many people.

I would love to see something come up that would negate CWW's proffer and offer a way to put him away for life.

Well, as cold hearted as i am, i must say after hearing about JRR's childhood, i believe a bit more that he was absolutely manipulated by CWW to take part in the murder. Remembering that it was stated many times CWW was a 'mentor' to him, i think JRR would do anything to please him. Yes, he chose to do it, but i am actually wondering if it wasn't on the trip down that the entire story was told to him. I fully believe he got what he deserved with Life, and it always bothered me about CWW saying how he got 'out of control' with the hammer. I think that is EXACTLY what CWW wanted to happen, so he had a way to 'back out' of being the one to kill TS. It does explain more about JRR's looks, attitudes and just 'vacant' stares sometimes. The boy had issues. And he mentally is still a kid. He had NO ONE growing up, except his brother, who admits he left him in the hell to get away himself. His brother was saved by going in the military. It gave him what he needed to get back on track. JRR had nothing.
In a perfect world, it would have been better if JRR received the 25 years and CWW received the LWOP because I see the situation exactly as you see it. I see JRR as being a follower and being manipulated by CWW.

CWW saw an easy target to use as a fall guy for this murder. He knew that he could talk JRR into going with him and making some easy money. For all we know, he made up lies about TS, making her sound like a real monster.

CWW probably also knew that JRR would be loyal to him. I myself do feel bad for the horrible way that he was treated when he was young. He almost made it; however, his self-worth was so damaged that he didn't believe that he deserved to be happy or successful in life.

He was told over and over again how stupid and worthless he was while his brother was endlessly praised. It is no wonder to me that his brother ended up becoming a success while he ended up behind bars for the rest of his life. This is the future that his father drilled into his head since he was a small child.

It doesn't excuse what he did. It just explains it.

This post is what I'd call after the trials and sentencing thoughts and therapy, and JMO.

Just wanted to say I found watching Jimmy go through his trial and sentencing I saw his focus was steady, no crazy note taking and antics like someone else we know. I found his emotional reactions appropriate and closer to sincere, at least, than the beyond bad fake crying and ridiculous facial expressions of Mark during his trial.

MS's defense tried to say he came from a broken home and had a rough childhood, but really it was no where near as bad as JRR's childhood.

We all make decisions at forks in the road. JRR was so close to finally riding a wave of change and opportunity in his life with a good job, a caring woman, and children looking up to him. He could have really gone to see his brother graduate that weekend instead of going with CWW to kill. He would've been able to be there when his own child was born. It is sad because Teresa loved life and helping people, and JRR was so close to finally having a good life, but he instead took hers. He made such the wrong decision.

I can't imagine spending a lifetime behind bars, but I also can't imagine choosing to kill someone. JRR knows how to focus and he can think. There can be no excuses for brutally killing a human being.
Funny I've was thinking a new post titled something similar would be idk fun to read especially knowing what we all know now vs when it happened.

First I'm kinda new. Joined idk when but I'm afraid of this and never post, just read along quietly. I am high though (legal state) so here goes.

I'm a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic also with bipolar and its lovely psychotic features. Along with an anxiety and panic association that would make JRRs um "anxiety" seem like a hiccup from chewing spearmint gum. All my life, nothing new to see. I've taken a combination of 87 different medications and nothing has worked like cannabis has. I was also my moms and 2 older brothers punching bag, getting "spanked" daily even when, by mom's admission later in my life that alot of times it was done in frustration. I was different and all. Dad was a drunk and a mean one yet he did actually try and protect me from her, when his sorry backside stayed long enough at one time anyway, prison, affairs sometimes work even. Plus there was 8 of us kids on top of it all yet she tried and oddly still wish she were alive. I never made it passed ninth grade and I was on my 3rd try at that when I quit. But I did work my but off into my 40s before 2 nervous breakdowns back 2 back almost finally forced me to get help. Then alottttttt of shyt finally made so much sense lol.got married, had and raised 2 girls whom are perfect ( right?) Even owned my own restaurant b4 I broke for good and that was 20 yrs ago. I dont even think of leaving home now. Cant. Nope. But I've got a good wife and family for 34 yrs now. And I've never broken a law, ok traffic but screw that cop! nor am I violent in fact I'm a pacifist if anything... I know, my point. I'm getting there k? Lol

So, just given a short summary of my life, even remove my wife and kids from it. But if I was the moron that pulled this stunt and knowing this now, does it change your sentence or give me leniency for it say a shot at redemption on the outside??

That said,
I'm ok with the CWW deal. Sometimes we've gotta give a little to get the devil. And they indeed got MS. And if what cww says is true which I'm still convinced hes lying still, but if so then JRR regardless of the background got what he bought himself. The claims of CWWs brilliant mind. Ok. Maybe. Idk. For certain the 3 amigos lacked even basic common sense. I mean consider had CWW and JRR both kept their mouths shut, claimed a camping trip with phones left in said camping area, not used any electronic device and used a car with no GPS computer or well pre 90s car then they probably all get away with it. I will always believe he did it because she indeed was gonna take those girls. And really who could blame her? At the least he was proven to be an unhinged deviant before all this. Idc about his or even her sex life I mean it wasn't motive so eh. I don't think AW should have caught a charge 4 anything even if she lied I don't think it really impeded their investigation and honestly shes got worse problems and has had a horrible time of things. Better choices sure but I'm no one to judge that but hope she finds some peace and learns to live. Same for Shomaker.

As I said, im a daddy to 2 girls. I spent Mark's trial imagining if I were in those woefully disgusting shoes. Would my family come and support? Jesus what about my kids? What on earth could/would they think of me? That alone would make me figure out how to turn my pants into a rope. How would I be acting, sitting there, knowing my shiny yet greasy head was being blasted to who knows how many TVs, phones and computers. Hearing how I turned a kinda cool life into such an ugly, twisted, disgusting mess that I chose to fill with cheating, thieving, lying instead of laughter, happiness and most importantly saftey for my girls!? I guess that's why I oddly understood his BS writing or the stupid looks and his water drinking.
And those little ladies of Dr. Ts. Cant fathom it for them. I pray they find their piece one day and thrive. They will. Pretty sure the others will help them figure it out, the right way.

Sorry dont be mad please I know I ramble but I'm trying and I dont offend others, not intentionally anyway so please just warn me and dont kick mu e off ok? Ok thanks bye now

JRR's brother broke my heart when he said he regretted not having the foresight to know Jimmy needed more than he could give. I hope he is not blaming himself. He was in an impossible situation, hardly more than a kid himself. He surely had his own issues to deal with after living through the changes in his mother's mental health and her suicide.

I kind of (I waver here) think the felony charges stemming from resisting arrest on the day of his father's funeral, and having his father's guns in the house after that are a failure of the system - maybe failure isn't the right word - but if someone along the way could have advocated for getting him some help and lessened the charges, we'd have a completely different outcome. He was intending to enter the military but wasn't allowed to because of the felony charges, but if he could have that might have made a huge difference in the lives of many people.

I would love to see something come up that would negate CWW's proffer and offer a way to put him away for life.
I thought the same thing with regards to his arrest on the day of his father's funeral. If a different officer had stopped him, if he had been given a bit more compassion that day, there would have been no felony, he would have gone into the army, and maybe had a chance at a decent life.

So many tragic stories in this case... of course Teresa and the girls, but also Jimmy whose parents destroyed him, Angie who lost so much so many times, Ronnie Bolin who fell apart after his divorce, even Bonnie whose own son gaslighted her into blaming herself for not setting the alarm.

So, so sad.

Funny I've was thinking a new post titled something similar would be idk fun to read especially knowing what we all know now vs when it happened.

First I'm kinda new. Joined idk when but I'm afraid of this and never post, just read along quietly. I am high though (legal state) so here goes.

I'm a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic also with bipolar and its lovely psychotic features. Along with an anxiety and panic association that would make JRRs um "anxiety" seem like a hiccup from chewing spearmint gum. All my life, nothing new to see. I've taken a combination of 87 different medications and nothing has worked like cannabis has. I was also my moms and 2 older brothers punching bag, getting "spanked" daily even when, by mom's admission later in my life that alot of times it was done in frustration. I was different and all. Dad was a drunk and a mean one yet he did actually try and protect me from her, when his sorry backside stayed long enough at one time anyway, prison, affairs sometimes work even. Plus there was 8 of us kids on top of it all yet she tried and oddly still wish she were alive. I never made it passed ninth grade and I was on my 3rd try at that when I quit. But I did work my but off into my 40s before 2 nervous breakdowns back 2 back almost finally forced me to get help. Then alottttttt of shyt finally made so much sense lol.got married, had and raised 2 girls whom are perfect ( right?) Even owned my own restaurant b4 I broke for good and that was 20 yrs ago. I dont even think of leaving home now. Cant. Nope. But I've got a good wife and family for 34 yrs now. And I've never broken a law, ok traffic but screw that cop! nor am I violent in fact I'm a pacifist if anything... I know, my point. I'm getting there k? Lol

So, just given a short summary of my life, even remove my wife and kids from it. But if I was the moron that pulled this stunt and knowing this now, does it change your sentence or give me leniency for it say a shot at redemption on the outside??

That said,
I'm ok with the CWW deal. Sometimes we've gotta give a little to get the devil. And they indeed got MS. And if what cww says is true which I'm still convinced hes lying still, but if so then JRR regardless of the background got what he bought himself. The claims of CWWs brilliant mind. Ok. Maybe. Idk. For certain the 3 amigos lacked even basic common sense. I mean consider had CWW and JRR both kept their mouths shut, claimed a camping trip with phones left in said camping area, not used any electronic device and used a car with no GPS computer or well pre 90s car then they probably all get away with it. I will always believe he did it because she indeed was gonna take those girls. And really who could blame her? At the least he was proven to be an unhinged deviant before all this. Idc about his or even her sex life I mean it wasn't motive so eh. I don't think AW should have caught a charge 4 anything even if she lied I don't think it really impeded their investigation and honestly shes got worse problems and has had a horrible time of things. Better choices sure but I'm no one to judge that but hope she finds some peace and learns to live. Same for Shomaker.

As I said, im a daddy to 2 girls. I spent Mark's trial imagining if I were in those woefully disgusting shoes. Would my family come and support? Jesus what about my kids? What on earth could/would they think of me? That alone would make me figure out how to turn my pants into a rope. How would I be acting, sitting there, knowing my shiny yet greasy head was being blasted to who knows how many TVs, phones and computers. Hearing how I turned a kinda cool life into such an ugly, twisted, disgusting mess that I chose to fill with cheating, thieving, lying instead of laughter, happiness and most importantly saftey for my girls!? I guess that's why I oddly understood his BS writing or the stupid looks and his water drinking.
And those little ladies of Dr. Ts. Cant fathom it for them. I pray they find their piece one day and thrive. They will. Pretty sure the others will help them figure it out, the right way.

Sorry dont be mad please I know I ramble but I'm trying and I dont offend others, not intentionally anyway so please just warn me and dont kick mu e off ok? Ok thanks bye now
I must say, you chose a completely inappropriate username; you are, indeed, very bright.

Excellent post.

Welcome to WS. I hope you keep posting.

I must say, you chose a completely inappropriate username; you are, indeed, very bright.

Excellent post.

Welcome to WS. I hope you keep posting.
I agree. I don't like the name that you chose for yourself. You are brighter than you give yourself credit for being, my friend. Please do not ever discount the accomplishments that you have made in your life.

We all have strengths and weaknesses. We deal with them the best way that we can. There is no shame in having a mental illness. I just hope thatyou have found the right medications that work for you. Life is way too short not to be happy.

As for dysfunctional families, I think that most of us could tell stories about them. I know that I could. I made it in spite of my family, not because of them. Of course, I did manage to pick up the some of the good traits of my mother and father (along with some of the bad traits, unfortunately)! ;)

I thought the same thing with regards to his arrest on the day of his father's funeral. If a different officer had stopped him, if he had been given a bit more compassion that day, there would have been no felony, he would have gone into the army, and maybe had a chance at a decent life...
I can tell you that I was given breaks in my life that made all of the difference. I could have been arrested. I deserved it.

Had I been arrested, I would never have had the career in Corporate America that I had, probably would have never met my current husband and never have had the charmed life that I now have.

It is amazing how a few decisions by a few kind police officers can make all of the difference in a kid's life.

I've pondered this whole thing now since Rodgers sentence. And I know too late. But what I wish is that BOTH wright and rodgers would have gotten LWOP and seivers what he got , DEATH.

I am starting to believe that both rodgers AND wright used those hammers equally. Wrights testimony on what occurred during the murder had a feel of lying( and, well ,he's known to lie,A LOT).

I don't think he was paying such close attention to what rodgers was doing. They both went there with a purpose and they both made sure it got done.

I feel no sympathy for any of them!!(3)

My heart is only with the girls, and Teresas family.And a smidgen for wrights wife, and rodgers wife and children.
It's like 3 people destroyed hundreds of lives that will have to try and pick up the pieces , most likely NEVER having complete joy for the rest of their lives.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back