GUILTY NY - Tessa Majors, 18, Barnard College student, fatally stabbed, Manhattan, 11 Dec 2019 *13yo arrest

Not for murder it wasn't. It was ruled that an LWOP sentence is unconstitutional for non-homicide crimes.
gotcha. thanks.
Well still IMO a kid his age deserves a chance rehabilitation.
And that's not unprecedented. Look at Jordan Brown fro example, he's in college now and he did a subjectively worse crime. (especially if looking at motive)
Unless theres something about this kid that would make him be treated differently than Jordan did, but idk.

BBM.
He's a child and should have a chance at rehabilitation. IMO.

Wasn't it deemed unconstitutional by supreme court to jail a minor for life?

<snip> States are responding to U.S. Supreme Court rulings that have found mandatory life-without-parole sentences unconstitutional for juveniles except for the rare homicide offender incapable of rehabilitation. After the latest ruling in January 2016 said those serving such terms must have a chance to argue for release one day, dozens of inmates have won new sentences — and some, freedom — while others wait or fight to have their sentences reviewed.

<snip>

NEW YORK

Inmates: None, according to the state corrections department.

The Law: Life without parole is only a sentencing option for juveniles convicted of the crime of terrorism in New York, though no juvenile has ever been convicted of that crime. The New York Board of Parole has begun taking an offender’s youth at the time of the crime into consideration in parole decisions following court rulings that youthful offenders must have a meaningful chance for release. Regulations codifying the change are expected soon.

A state-by-state look at juvenile life without parole

Agreed. I never really walked in Morningside Park - my kids always warned me about the same things you mention. We had dinner up that way once and I did walk to the stairs. It's a shame because it's pretty place. I have however, walked all over Central Park at all times of day and evening, and quite frankly, though I do keep my eyes and ears open, never felt afraid.
It's sad this place is so close to Columbia and Barnard, yet seems inaccessible for the most part.
How I love being in Manhattan and especially Central Park, but I am observant and try to be careful.
Re Central Park -- I've been there a number of times -- mainly to see the Angel of Bethesda (along with everyone else in the world). I've never been there at night and I wouldn't go there by myself at night. I've seen LE in Central Park and they are just around -- just being there -- I was glad to see them. I have never been any farther north on foot in Manhattan than Central park, and then never to the far north of CP. But I never felt any fear in Manhattan, LE were around, but I didn't wander around too much out of the Broadway theatre area/midtown, Central Park and then certain areas in Lower Manhattan.
Bernard College is in one of the areas where you do have to be a bit more observant and careful, especially at night.

We are a long way from the prosecution of this case. (I am reminded of the Central Park 5 case.) I hope there is justice for Tessa in the prosecution of this crime. While I always hope for swift justice, I also hope for fair and true justice. I am sure we will begin to see the evidence in coming days.

Tessa seems like a bright light. That said, there are so many young people killed each day that it is astounding.

I wasn't sure if this is simply your conjecture, or if you saw this motive mentioned in a source, but I read the articles posted above and haven't seen a single thing about the attackers demanding or taking her jacket (nor have I seen any mention of what kind of coat she was wearing).

I HAVE read that one of the suspects was described by a witness as wearing a "green jacket," but other than that I've yet to read anything about TM's winter coat being the robbers' objective.

Also, they'd have to be pretty stupid to hold someone up at knifepoint if they wanted to steal their coat, IMO. The chances would be pretty good that they'd damage the coat itself in the course of the robbery (thereby devaluing it, at least a little).

I also wonder how likely it is that people would bother holding someone up to steal their coat, even if it was a "prestige" brand. As it happens, I spent a few hours in NYC last night (some of it in the very same area/around the same time as TM was attacked a few days earlier :(), and was surprised at how many people--of all ages/races--were sporting Canada Goose and Moncler down-filled coats/parkas (ESPECIALLY when I was on the UWS). I mention this just to say that I would be surprised if the winter coat turns out to be the motive for this attack. IMO, I think it's more likely that the young men were simply enraged by the fact that a young woman refused to immediately comply with their demands, and they killed her as a result.
A bunch of new articles have now come out & the ones I got my info from have been updated. They never said specifically that they robbed her for her coat , but reading between the lines it sounded like that’s what they were inferring (that her phone was left & she didn’t have purse or wallet with her & they mentioned they were looking for a green coat that was involved in the robbery—the boy was found wearing the green coat.)

Now they’re saying nothing about the coat & that they were trying to get her phone. They dropped the phone though & one article is saying they got away with her bag. Who knows. MOO is they were just trying to rob her for whatever she had on her. No matter what it was senseless. :(

<snip> Sources familiar with the case say the 13-year-old also implicated the others, one of whom is a 14-year-old boy who police have located and who is being interviewed. A second teen has not been located.

Authorities say the statements from the 13-year-old match what detectives saw on surveilance video. The suspects are believed to have gotten away with the victim's bag, but they dropped her cell phone, which is how police identified her.

Commissioner Dermot Shea tweeted that the NYPD is "making significant progress, and we will have major updates to announce very soon."

13-year-old boy arrested in murder of Barnard College student Tessa Majors

gotcha. thanks.
Well still IMO a kid his age deserves a chance rehabilitation.
And that's not unprecedented. Look at Jordan Brown fro example, he's in college now and he did a subjectively worse crime. (especially if looking at motive)
Unless theres something about this kid that would make him be treated differently than Jordan did, but idk.

So, he deserves 'rehabilitation' - meaning he'll be out in a year or two running around living his life while she's 6' under and ice-cold. Her life is over, gone. She will never graduate college. She will never get married. She will never have children. She will never be there to help her parents when they get old. She will never again got to Disney World, or the beach, or shopping at Target. She will never be able to have a Big Mac with fries, or some messy BBQ, or a soft-serve ice cream con on a hot summer day. She won't ever be able to take a cruise. She won't ever be able to explore the castles of England. She won't be buying any of her friends gifts for their birthdays. Oh no, every single thing for her is over at 18. 18! Meanwhile, this kid is going to walk away, free to do whatever he wants, and hey, he got away with killing someone once, so maybe he'll do it again, huh?

So, he deserves 'rehabilitation' - meaning he'll be out in a year or two running around living his life while she's 6' under and ice-cold. Her life is over, gone. She will never graduate college. She will never get married. She will never have children. She will never be there to help her parents when they get old. She will never again got to Disney World, or the beach, or shopping at Target. She will never be able to have a Big Mac with fries, or some messy BBQ, or a soft-serve ice cream con on a hot summer day. She won't ever be able to take a cruise. She won't ever be able to explore the castles of England. She won't be buying any of her friends gifts for their birthdays. Oh no, every single thing for her is over at 18. 18! Meanwhile, this kid is going to walk away, free to do whatever he wants, and hey, he got away with killing someone once, so maybe he'll do it again, huh?

BBM.

No. Wrong. He wont walk free, he will get the extensive mental help and rehabilitation that a CHILD in this situation needs.
Just like Jordan Brown did.
Except unlike Jordan, this kid didn't do a premeditated murder, sounds more like Involuntary or voluntary manslaughter.
But yet Jordan got his rehabilitation and is currently in college. What is different between Jordan and this kid?

I in no way am diminishing the death of this woman, its tragic all around. But locking a CHILD up for life is separately cruel as well.

Second Suspect Arrested in Murder of Barnard College Freshman Tessa Majors

A second suspect has been arrested in connection with the stabbing death of Barnard College freshman Tessa Majors, a senior law-enforcement official tells The Daily Beast. The arrest comes hours after a 13-year-old boy was charged with second-degree murder after he allegedly admitted to NYPD detectives that he and two friends robbed and stabbed Majors on Wednesday, one official said. Police said the 13-year-old was spotted by officers at 4:20 p.m. Thursday in the lobby of a building on West 119 Street, near the site of the attack, and was wearing clothes that matched the description of the suspect in Majors’ murder, the official said. Police found a knife on him, the official said.

The teen was questioned in the presence of his uncle and “spoke willingly to detectives at the station house,” the official said. Investigators are now seeking one other suspect. The 13-year-old, who has not been named, was originally arrested Thursday on suspicion of criminal trespass. He now faces additional charges of robbery in the first degree and criminal possession of a weapon, the official told The Daily Beast.

Thank you for this post.^^^
*Tears* :(

Her poor family, utmost condolences to them !
A recent Dateline episode's victims' father said time doesn't heal ; but that it gets worse.

So often the victim is forgotten in the rush for sympathy for those of tender years and set juvvies free after they're deemed to have been rehabilitated.

I don't think crimes will decrease unless the punishments are more severe.
If you steal electronics from a store-- you can return them or pay for what you've taken. Replaceable.
A human life isn't replaceable.

This teen and his cohorts will be able to see family in juvvie visits, get 'care' packages , will get out in time to go to college if they wish.
Somehow I doubt that's the path they'll take.
Nearly a given that they'll re-offend at some time.
That's frightening.

Who will be the next victim they'll 'have fun' (gag) with; slashing and stabbing ?
Tessa was stabbed in her face, neck, and arms. A prolonged and horrible death by bleeding out.
Not saying give these teens the DP; but her Tessa's is gone forever.
They don't deserve to have a life unless it's behind bars.
Imo.

BBM.

No. Wrong. He wont walk free, he will get the extensive mental help and rehabilitation that a CHILD in this situation needs.
Except unlike Jordan, this kid didn't do a premeditated murder, sounds more like Involuntary or voluntary manslaughter.
But yet Jordan got his rehabilitation and is currently in college. What is different between Jordan and this kid?

I in no way am diminishing the death of this woman, its tragic all around. But locking a CHILD up for life is separately cruel as well.
bbm

Not wrong -- in the sense that the whole point of rehabilitation is to help the offender eventually be free to walk in society with the rest of us.
Not sure when that's going to happen.

He and his friends could be well into their 20's before he's set loose on the city.
He and his one fellow murderer (unless there are more to be apprehended?) were roaming around the park or that area, looking for someone to rob !
They were armed with a knife and it looks very premeditated.
Was this their first robbery ?
Doubt it.
To murder someone innocent by stabbing is up close and personal; and takes a hardened mind.
Not to mention a hateful mind.

How can anyone plunge a knife into someone's face, let alone neck and arms ?
These were not "Children". They're cold blooded killers.
Imo.

I wouldn't want them living next to me, and I doubt anyone here would want them to visit their home when they're released.

@SpanishMossAntiques has a valid point.

BBM.

Jordan Brown was exonerated, firstly. I have my personal opinions about whether or not he committed that crime, but that was an exoneration. Fully overturned. So not the same in any way.

Second, this is legally neither voluntary and certainly not involuntary manslaughter.

Third, our highest courts have ruled it is neither cruel nor unusual to lock up a kid for life who commits murder. Not everyone can be rehabilitated. So far, all we know is there is a 12 year old and a 13 year old who MURDERED an 18 year old for seemingly no reason whatsoever. Who is to say either one or both of them can be rehabilitated?

<snip, BBM> Following the 2012 U.S. Supreme Court ruling in Miller v. Alabama2) states and the federal government are required to consider the unique circumstances of each juvenile defendant in determining an individualized sentence. Montgomery v. Louisiana,3) a 2016 decision, ensures that the decision applies retroactively. For juveniles, a mandatory life sentence without the possibility of parole is unconstitutional.

Research on adolescent brain development confirms the commonsense understanding that children are different from adults in ways that are critical to identifying age appropriate criminal sentences. This understanding – Justice Kennedy called it what “any parent knows”4) – was central to four recent Supreme Court decisions excluding juveniles from the harshest sentencing practices. The most recent, Montgomery, emphasized that the use of life without parole (mandatorily or not) should only be reserved for those juveniles whose offenses reflected “irreparable corruption,”5) a ruling that Justice Scalia (in dissent) wrote may eventually “eliminat[e] life without parole for juvenile offenders.”6)

<snip> Supreme Court Rulings
Since 2005, Supreme Court rulings have accepted adolescent brain science and banned the use of capital punishment for juveniles, limited life without parole sentences to homicide offenders, banned the use of mandatory life without parole, and applied the decision retroactively. In 2012, the Court ruled that judges must consider the unique circumstances of each juvenile offender, banning mandatory sentences of life without parole for all juveniles; in 2016, this decision was made retroactive to those sentenced prior to 2012.

Juvenile Life Without Parole: An Overview | The Sentencing Project

bbm

Not wrong -- in the sense that the whole point of rehabilitation is to help the offender eventually be free to walk in society with the rest of us.
Not sure when that's going to happen.

He and his friends could be well into their 20's before he's set loose on the city.
He and his one fellow murderer (unless there are more to be apprehended?) were roaming around the park or that area, looking for someone to rob !
They were armed with a knife and it looks very premeditated.
Was this their first robbery ?
Doubt it.
To murder someone innocent by stabbing is up close and personal; and takes a hardened mind.
Not to mention a hateful mind.

How can anyone plunge a knife into someone's face, let alone neck and arms ?
These were not "Children". They're cold blooded killers.
Imo.

I wouldn't want them living next to me, and I doubt anyone here would want them to visit their home when they're released.

@SpanishMossAntiques has a valid point.

Rehibilitation is extensive therepy and training to help a child is likely mental issues and a traumatic upbringing to become productive members of society in time. This is a child and we don't understand the circumstances of his life that might have attributed to him doing this.

But....
Jordan Brown did a much much more heinous act and got released, got to go to college, hasn't been arrested since.
Joseph Hall murdered someone and will get rehabilitated.
Andrew Golden was rehabilitated and was never charged of a crime after his release.
Derek King was rehabilitated and never charged of a crime after release.
Cody Posey has ben rehabilitated.

What do these children have in common that this 13 year old doesn't that is causing for people to call for him to be chained up for the rest of his life?

Again, not diminishing the teagic loss of a woman, but when it comes to children (vs adults), IMO we have to be more open to rehabilitation.

<snip, BBM> Following the 2012 U.S. Supreme Court ruling in Miller v. Alabama2) states and the federal government are required to consider the unique circumstances of each juvenile defendant in determining an individualized sentence. Montgomery v. Louisiana,3) a 2016 decision, ensures that the decision applies retroactively. For juveniles, a mandatory life sentence without the possibility of parole is unconstitutional.

Research on adolescent brain development confirms the commonsense understanding that children are different from adults in ways that are critical to identifying age appropriate criminal sentences. This understanding – Justice Kennedy called it what “any parent knows”4) – was central to four recent Supreme Court decisions excluding juveniles from the harshest sentencing practices. The most recent, Montgomery, emphasized that the use of life without parole (mandatorily or not) should only be reserved for those juveniles whose offenses reflected “irreparable corruption,”5) a ruling that Justice Scalia (in dissent) wrote may eventually “eliminat[e] life without parole for juvenile offenders.”6)

<snip> Supreme Court Rulings
Since 2005, Supreme Court rulings have accepted adolescent brain science and banned the use of capital punishment for juveniles, limited life without parole sentences to homicide offenders, banned the use of mandatory life without parole, and applied the decision retroactively. In 2012, the Court ruled that judges must consider the unique circumstances of each juvenile offender, banning mandatory sentences of life without parole for all juveniles; in 2016, this decision was made retroactive to those sentenced prior to 2012.

Juvenile Life Without Parole: An Overview | The Sentencing Project

Regardless,
We are not the ones to make the decision if the child is “irreparable corrupt". A court ordered psychologist should be.

<snip> The arresting detective said in court, who said the trio followed a man into the park but then decided not to rob him. Then the 13-year-old said he watched his two friends choke and stab Tessa, take items from her pockets, and then all three ran off. The 13-year-old said one of his friends told him Tessa bit his finger, fighting back

13-Year-Old Boy Confesses In Stabbing Death Of Barnard Student Tessa Majors

Why are "we" saying that this 13-year-old boy deserves this and that when we don't know what happened? The information we have so far is: Tessa was killed with a knife and robbed, they have a 13-year-old and a 14-year-old in custody. Apparently, the 13-year-old wasn't even the one who killed her.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back