OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a reflection about the emergency exit in UTS , in the news broadcast from '06 Detective Edwards said if used, a camera would zoom in and out, and something like 'it would not have been possible for him to go out that way'.

In the latest podcast Hurst said that this camera was overriden by staff and that the UTS had security standing outside to guard the exit. And that they 'promised them' no-one had wandered off that way.....

emergency-exit.jpg
I just took another listen to the podcast. At 18min in, Hurst states that there's no way Brian died in the construction area, because someone would've noted an odor and 'we (CPD) would've been alerted'. Thus, Hurst implies that no one contacted CPD to report an odor in the building. But we know that, per previously discussed Yelp comment from around 2007, SOMEONE DID NOTE AN ODOR. Just how many people observed an odor? We don't know. But apparently no one who noted an odor contacted CPD. Unfortunate. Would have been good to have had that report of an odor investigated. Could potentially have resulted in the case being solved...

Also, in the Tiffany Renee video linked above, at 18:40 in she notes that cadaver dogs 'did hit in a couple places' in the construction area, but nothing came of it. Not sure why nothing came of it, she doesn't say. And she's very loose with facts, for example she states that concrete/floors were already in place in the construction area when we know Hurst stated that floors were not in place and there were uneven/unlevel dirt surfaces in the construction area at the time of Brian's disappearance and when cadaver dogs were run through. Far as I know, not so much as a single shovel full of dirt was ever turned by CPD in its investigation of the construction area.

Me, I still think most likely outcome is Brian died in an accident in the construction area, CPD failed to find his body, CPD did not subsequently investigate reported odor, and Brian's remains are still there.

Last edited:
I just took another listen to the podcast. At 18min in, Hurst states that there's no way Brian died in the construction area, because someone would've noted an odor and 'we (CPD) would've been alerted'. Thus, Hurst implies that no one contacted CPD to report an odor in the building. But we know that, per previously discussed Yelp comment from around 2007, SOMEONE DID NOTE AN ODOR. Just how many people observed an odor? We don't know. But apparently no one who noted an odor contacted CPD. Unfortunate. Would have been good to have had that report of an odor investigated. Could potentially have resulted in the case being solved...

Also, in the Tiffany Renee video linked above, at 18:40 in she notes that cadaver dogs 'did hit in a couple places' in the construction area, but nothing came of it. Not sure why nothing came of it, she doesn't say. And she's very loose with facts, for example she states that concrete/floors were already in place in the construction area when we know Hurst stated that floors were not in place and there were uneven/unlevel dirt surfaces in the construction area at the time of Brian's disappearance and when cadaver dogs were run through. Far as I know, not so much as a single shovel full of dirt was ever turned by CPD in its investigation of the construction area.

Me, I still think most likely outcome is Brian died in an accident in the construction area, CPD failed to find his body, CPD did not subsequently investigate reported odor, and Brian's remains are still there.

This is the supposed construction exit door, who had a chain and a lock. Apparently those were still intact after Brian vanished?

Hurst said in the first podcast interview that they didn't check for DNA because of the cheer amount of people exiting and going to and from the bar.

Since he also mentioned that Brian could have squeezed himself through that exit door, why on earth didn't they check for DNA there ?? There would have been enough evidence from his body had he gone through there. And no major cross-contamination from other DNA. This would have likely proven if Brian did or did not exit that door.

construction-exit-1.jpg

This is the supposed construction exit door, who had a chain and a lock. Apparently those were still intact after Brian vanished?

Hurst said in the first podcast interview that they didn't check for DNA because of the cheer amount of people exiting and going to and from the bar.

Since he also mentioned that Brian could have squeezed himself through that exit door, why on earth didn't they check for DNA there ?? There would have been enough evidence from his body had he gone through there. And no major cross-contamination from other DNA. This would have likely proven if Brian did or did not exit that door.

construction-exit-1.jpg

It looks like it would be a ridiculously tight squeeze.

yeah , like a sardine, drinking and moving for eight hours, those door must have had his fingerprints, sweat and possibly saliva all over.
But who knows, just my opinion.

we also have that mad mex kitchen door which I didnt totally apprehend where it led too

It sounds like it would have been easier to get into the construction area from the service area than to exit the construction area via the padlocked doors on the south side of the complex. At 12:00 in Hurst states that 'it would be easy to get into that area (the 'construction area') because 'there was no barrier from the service entrance'. At 15:45 Hurst talks about slipping out of construction area through the temporary doors along the south side of the construction area: Brian Shaffer Dead or Alive
He says the building was searched extremely well, but it seems clear they moved no dirt in the 'completely dug up' construction area, even though cadaver dogs reportedly 'hit' a few times...

Last edited:
Still waiting on the next episode of dead or alive. I would like to know what the pi received that was supposed to be breaking new info. If it was a complete sham then just tell people.

Still waiting on the next episode of dead or alive. I would like to know what the pi received that was supposed to be breaking new info. If it was a complete sham then just tell people.
BBM
I'd say that's a given at this point.

construction-exit-1.jpg

construction-exit-1.jpg

Actually this is the door that Hurst was referring to. This is the door right across from Wendy's. When I spoke to him he said that the doors had enough room between the two of them for a guy his size to fit through them. Brian was 6'2 and 160.

Attachments

• Screenshot (213).png
    Screenshot (213).png
    517.6 KB · Views: 69
Actually this is the door that Hurst was referring to. This is the door right across from Wendy's. When I spoke to him he said that the doors had enough room between the two of them for a guy his size to fit through them. Brian was 6'2 and 160.
Never seen this one, do you know how large of an area the construction area was, i.e how long would it take to traverse entering to exit?
Also what’s your take on the Mad mex kitchen door as described by Hurst.

Never seen this one, do you know how large of an area the construction area was, i.e how long would it take to traverse entering to exit?
Also what’s your take on the Mad mex kitchen door as described by Hurst.

No I don’t. It’s hard to say because we don’t know how far along they were to sectioning for the story’s. I believe there was a walk way that went around the out perimeter. He could follow that down to the doors. There was plenty of light and sound so imo I don’t think it was that hard to get out. I think Brian not only got out but made it back to his apartment. I don’t think any of this stuff at the bar mattered at all. My opinion.

No I don’t. It’s hard to say because we don’t know how far along they were to sectioning for the story’s. I believe there was a walk way that went around the out perimeter. He could follow that down to the doors. There was plenty of light and sound so imo I don’t think it was that hard to get out. I think Brian not only got out but made it back to his apartment. I don’t think any of this stuff at the bar mattered at all. My opinion.
BBM
Apostrophes are used for possessive nouns and contractions, not for plurals. The plural of story is stories.
If Brian had made it back to his apartment, there would be some evidence of that. It's doubtful that he would have gone anywhere the next morning without putting on clean clothes, so the clothes that he wore to the bar should have been found. If he was killed in the apartment that night, there should have been signs of violence. The fact that Brian didn't call his friends about his planned after party argues against your theory, too.

BBM
Apostrophes are used for possessive nouns and contractions, not for plurals. The plural of story is stories.
If Brian had made it back to his apartment, there would be some evidence of that. It's doubtful that he would have gone anywhere the next morning without putting on clean clothes, so the clothes that he wore to the bar should have been found. If he was killed in the apartment that night, there should have been signs of violence. The fact that Brian didn't call his friends about his planned after party argues against your theory, too.

Actually meant stores smarty pants. Why would there be evidence of Brian making it back to his apartment and who said he was killed there? Clean clothes? lol Why do you have a theory as to why he changed clothes. Who said anything about a planned after party? FYI I think Brian is dead and was killed that night and not at his apartment.

Just rechecked the nbc dateline video. The picture you posted is an exit with stairs and an elevator, (you can basically see the spiral stairs in the video). That's what's referred to as the service exit.
Then they go ahead and mention that the only exit to the street of out camera view are the exit doors as shown by the picture I posted. That wooden walk-way is suspended so it's either going from the second floor leading to the stairs and the exit you've shown or it's suspended over the "completely dug up area" Hurst is refering to at ground level and then leading to the construction area exit street level.

Just rechecked the nbc dateline video. The picture you posted is an exit with stairs and an elevator, (you can basically see the spiral stairs in the video). That's what's referred to as the service exit.
Then they go ahead and mention that the only exit to the street of out camera view are the exit doors as shown by the picture I posted. That wooden walk-way is suspended so it's either going from the second floor leading to the stairs and the exit you've shown or it's suspended over the "completely dug up area" Hurst is refering to at ground level and then leading to the construction area exit street level.

No, if you listen to Hurst in one of the interviews he talks about the doors across from Wendy’s and mentions the place saying it ended up being a health food store.

No, if you listen to Hurst in one of the interviews he talks about the doors across from Wendy’s and mentions the place saying it ended up being a health food store.

I've listened to his interviews and even made transcript on some of 'em. Hurst himself sais in the video after they show the doors why anyone would want to go out that way, since it was heavely under construction. That settles it for me at least. Can be that the footage was faulty edited...but I see the spiral stairwell behind the door you posted a pic on, in line with the reporter's audio comment.

That door of yours is directly in front the former Wendy's for sure though. Mine is in red opposite side upper corner. So where did the band exit , supplies delivered from?

Gateway.jpg

Attachments

• Gateway.jpg
    Gateway.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 5
That door of yours is directly in front the former Wendy's for sure though. Mine is in red opposite side upper corner. So where did the band exit , supplies delivered from?

Gateway.jpg

The band came out the side exit into the alley by the parking garage.

Attachments

• Screenshot (217).png
    Screenshot (217).png
    653.4 KB · Views: 17

I don't see an elevator or spiral stair case, but that pic I posted it def not the service exit. As I mentioned before, after looking at this from another perspective I don't think that of this matters. IMO everyone including me has wasted our time trying to figure out how Brian got out of that building. He got out and was heading home and I believe he made it home. Was Brian running away? Maybe, but it never sat well with me that he would run away while leaving at bar. No matter what Brian's plans were after he got home things went south IMO and I think he died that night.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member