CANADA Canada - Ontario, Male child, 3-4 years old, abandoned, 1889

T rex

Reaction score
A person requests information and/or assistance in identifying his great grandfather or his great grandfathers family.
According to the provided links a male child, 3 to 4 years of age wandered down to a farm located in Victoria County, Ontario in the year 1889. No one ever claimed the child and he was taken in and raised by the family that lived on the farm.
Little more information is given. Only that there were Gypsies in the area around that time.

Message Boards

Q & A BOARD

This is the first thread I have started and I really wasn't itching to do so but when I saw this person in a couple of different places searching for this information I thought the least I could do was try and help them get the word out a little. After all there are a lot of members here.
This was a long time ago and is definitely a long shot at finding something for this person. Their best bet, no doubt is some kind of dna match to a distant relative. However it is possible the family that abandoned this child could have passed the secret down too. There could be information out there.

An interesting case T Rex, but also a difficult one. Good you opened this thread, obviously your haert was speaking. I'm not sure what to make of the term "gypsies", because immidiatly Roma and Sinti (European gypsies, from the Balkan, for instance Roemania, Hongary) come to mind. Maybe they meant "traveling people, nomads" as they were a circus crowd. It happenes to be that I just was doing research for another case and stumbled on the fact that in North Dakota there was a settlement (Kiev region) where persons from Russia, but also Roemenia, settled after immigration to the US. It's not to say that they were running a circus, but it is possible these so called gypsies were European, like lot's of others who settled in Canada.

Last edited:
Did you made contact with this person and asked if there is any picture available of the child?

I made a post on one of the sites just today to inform this person that I had started this thread. I did not ask for any additional information or a picture but I did give them a link and invited them over.
As for the term gypsies, I'm not sure either but as you suggested it's probably just referring to "traveling people".

Thinking about this case. In the circus business children were a big asset, worked at a very young age in the circus, so a "money-maker". Makes me think this child was not abbandoned by a circus crowd. Maybe it got lost from the circus, but I think they would have searched for him. Maybe they had to break up quickly and travel on to another town and there wasn't time to do a search.

Canada hasn't a good reputation in handling missing children cases, even in the modern times, so I wonder how it worked in those days, reporting a child missing (or finding one without caretakers).

It could also have been a 'Carnaval' crowd.

Last edited:
This is a little history about the circus visiting Ottawa, Ontario, in the old day's. Very interesting. It's was quite a huge operation with hundreds of people and annimals and lot's of visiters. I guess it must have been something like this.

When the circus came to town

I'm going to unwatch this thread....nothing is going to help. Take care!

. I think it would need some serious sleuthing using DNA from the modern day relatives who are searching and them working back through the family tree DNA Doe-style. Hard! But probably possible more easily in future as the science develops.

About the only use I see for this thread is if sometime in the future someone with information regarding this mans family searches for the key words then perhaps it may bring them here.
Other than that I don't know. My suggestion to this person would be DNA but of course they probably already know that.

About the only use I see for this thread is if sometime in the future someone with information regarding this mans family searches for the key words then perhaps it may bring them here.
Other than that I don't know. My suggestion to this person would be DNA but of course they probably already know that.

I still think this thread has potential...but if people don't put energie in it...or provide information, joining the discussion...then I don't know....I believe so very much in joint knowledge...and wonderful things come of it....If you really really want to find out....

I made a post on one of the sites just today to inform this person that I had started this thread. I did not ask for any additional information or a picture but I did give them a link and invited them over.
As for the term gypsies, I'm not sure either but as you suggested it's probably just referring to "traveling people".
Do you have a link to the other sites? How long ago did this person post?

Thank @EGirl....So what can we conclude? T-rex already shared this information with us.
I just wanted to put original links where this was posted. After work (on lunch break right now) I will see if I can message the OP on those sites. It's a long shot because the posts are old. But Ill give it a try.

I just wanted to put original links where this was posted. After work (on lunch break right now) I will see if I can message the OP on those sites. It's a long shot because the posts are old. But Ill give it a try.

btw...have a nice lunch...eet smakelijk!

Well I had left a message on the Q & A circus question board but now I don't see it. Maybe I was in violation of their rules for posting a link back to here or something. I don't know.
Anyway, when I looked at the Ancestry board at the time I started this thread, the person that left that message had just been logged in a few days before so I think their much more active there. I don't have a membership with Ancestry and I just assumed I couldn't leave a response so I didn't try.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back