The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not British Royal Family....

But here's a lovely Christmas photo from King Abdullah II and Queen Rania of Jordan and their family

22358806-7801935-image-a-5_1576598147625.jpg

And as a bit of older Jordanian Royal history, here is a photo of King Hussein of Jordan, father of King Abdullah II, and his wife Queen Noor, and King Hussein's 12 children.

AP_95010103644.jpg

Not British Royal Family....

But here's a lovely Christmas photo from King Abdullah II and Queen Rania of Jordan and their family

22358806-7801935-image-a-5_1576598147625.jpg

And as a bit of older Jordanian Royal history, here is a photo of King Hussein of Jordan, father of King Abdullah II, and his wife Queen Noor, and King Hussein's 12 children.

AP_95010103644.jpg

King Hussein was a very good leader. He set a great example as a leader in ME diplomacy. It was so sad when he became ill, then passed. Great man.

ETA: From what I've read, his son has also done a good job.

I remember his passing. So sad, even now:

On 25 January, the day after he proclaimed Abdullah as crown prince, Hussein returned abruptly to the United States, after experiencing fevers – a sign of recurrent lymphoma.[78] On 4 February it was reported that Hussein had suffered internal organ failure, and was in critical condition.[78] The next day, and at his request, he was flown to Jordan where he arrived in a coma after a second bone marrow transplant failed.[78] Fighter jets from several countries flew with his plane as it passed over their territories, including the United States, Britain, and Israel.[78] Hussein arrived at the King Hussein Medical Center in Amman where it was raining heavily, yet thousands flocked from all over Jordan and gathered at the main entrance.[79] The crowds chanted his name, some weeping, others holding his pictures.[79] At 11:43 on 7 February, Hussein was pronounced dead.[79]

Hussein of Jordan - Wikipedia

Last edited:
It looks like a very large house
The house is 807 sq ft. —Room dimensions are quite small. Tiny, a matchbox by US standards.:p

...It’s got a lot of potential.
:D I see our 'Cottage' has caused a bit of a stir! And not just here.

Inside the two-bed cottage for sale in Stroud

GloucestershireNews

So to answer a couple of the questions :)
Size - To give a better idea to the size of the cottage for comparison I found a lovely static caravan approx. the same size

Carabuild_Exterior-660x370.jpg

CARABUILD THE OASIS 2019
:cool:
Length: 35 ft
Width: 13 ft​
Cottage:
Length: 28 ft
Width: 14 ft​

Slightly wider (1 ft lol) & about 6 ft in length
I think it's maybe the way the floorplan is shown? The 3 separate floors? Which is why internal floor area is 807 square feet.
5YoungsCottagesChalfordSTROUDGloucestershireGL68PD1571159096.jpg

So ... Yeah it's rather a 'quaint' size :D
1b3069afd25a34040e59c33ae9c53ead.jpg

Anyways as I was curious...
:D I know I wasn't the only one!

Meet a couple of the Cottage's neighbours
0_EL_GLO1112019HydeCottage_01.jpg
Note: Skylights ;)
13564_101079001921_IMG_05_0003_max_656x437.jpg

a34fa11f8b89cdd390b1888431e2d99a249c90a0.jpg

13564_101079001921_IMG_08_0003_max_656x437.jpg

283fc4bbb5fc8c377e19289782cb7a0d6ef6d8a2.jpg
Zoopla Estimate
£279k - £341k
Price estimate:
£310k ;)

Youngs Cottages
* also I now see I'm gonna need post a brief lesson in the history of
The English Church Terrace House :p

Prince William reveals Prince George wrote to Father Christmas asking for 'something to do with drawing or football' - but says his son supports Chelsea and NOT his beloved Aston Villa

The Duke of Cambridge shared this information while visiting the Passage in Central London, a homeless charity of which he is the patron and which he has frequently visited throughout his life.

22295024-7796633-image-a-4_1576486924271.jpg
When a woman in the shelter asked whether it was because William himself was a fan of the sport, the amused father-of-three, who's the President of the Football Association and a fervent Aston Villa fan, revealed his own son supported Chelsea.

'I try not to be too biased, I said you can support anyone but Chelsea, so naturally he supports Chelsea,' he said. :D

Wlliam made the revelations during a visit to The Passage in central London, the UK's largest centre for homeless people of which he is a patron.

William first visited the shelter with his mother the late Lady Diana and his brother Prince Harry in 1993.

DailyMail

1fdeoj.jpg

As my 'Like' button seem to Not Like working very much lately :cool:
This is for all of you posting so nicely in our fun-pacted, friendly (& strangely... :confused: educational) 'The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes!'
giphy.gif

:D I Luvz U All! LOL
c618dc4021cee43876955031692cba2b.gif

Anyways as I was curious...
:D I know I wasn't the only one!

Meet a couple of the Cottage's neighbours
0_EL_GLO1112019HydeCottage_01.jpg
Note: Skylights ;)
13564_101079001921_IMG_05_0003_max_656x437.jpg

a34fa11f8b89cdd390b1888431e2d99a249c90a0.jpg

13564_101079001921_IMG_08_0003_max_656x437.jpg

283fc4bbb5fc8c377e19289782cb7a0d6ef6d8a2.jpg
Zoopla Estimate
£279k - £341k
Price estimate:
£310k ;)

Youngs Cottages
* also I now see I'm gonna need post a brief lesson in the history of
The English Church Terrace House :p
Yipes.

The ever present clothes washer in the kitchen makes me laugh

A couple more ...
d96bb13af0ab20a58b9353afee487c00519ae9a8.jpg

8ead864b7bfcf51719d3a10f82dd741f5d9a2f1b.jpg
:D This'll do me nicely...
54b09a437c8a48f3ccea65852b5a88052045cfbc.jpg

:cool: Note: Pics from 2 neighbouring Cottages
Links ^
The living room puts me in mind of my Scottish granny's wee stone hoose which was heated with a coin-operated kerosine heater in the front room that was fed with schillings to keep the place warm (barely). I venture it hadn't been changed much in the last 250 years or so.

Last edited:
...my Scottish granny's wee stone hoose which was heated with a coin-operated kerosine heater in the front room that was fed with schillings* :D to keep the place warm (barely). I venture it hadn't been changed much in the last 250 years or so.
Shilling (British coin)
Henry-VII-testoon-obv.jpg
Although the coin was not minted until the sixteenth century, the value of a shilling had been used for accounting purposes since the Anglo-Saxon period.

It was first minted in the reign of Henry VII as the testoon, and became known as the shilling* from the Old English scilling* sometime in the mid-16th century,
circulating until 1990.

:oops:
O.k. I admit I was lol-ing thinking how old must that heater have been but then I read ^ 1990?? I can't remember EVER seeing a shilling in use.

*Schilling = Shilling/Scilling
:D
You Americans & your English language

Serious question...Why?
Is that a 'British' thing? Our fitted kitchens are nearly all designed to included a space for them.
Where do non-Brits put their washers?

Yep. Americans think we're a bit weird bringing our dirty clothes into the kitchen, and when you think about it... They have utility rooms (as do we in some houses) or they have them upstairs, y'know, near the dirty laundry baskets and wardrobes and drawers and other places where clothes are kept!

A friend (here in the UK) recently had a small bedroom converted into a laundry room - it's bloody brilliant. Washer, dryer, sink, ironing board, telly (for when ironing, she even has what she laughingly calls a darning chair, where she is yet to sit while sewing buttons on, but nice idea hey!), hanging rails, airing cupboard, the works. I want one!!

Yep. Americans think we're a bit weird bringing our dirty clothes into the kitchen, and when you think about it... They have utility rooms (as do we in some houses) or they have them upstairs, y'know, near the dirty laundry baskets and wardrobes and drawers and other places where clothes are kept!

A friend (here in the UK) recently had a small bedroom converted into a laundry room - it's bloody brilliant. Washer, dryer, sink, ironing board, telly (for when ironing, she even has what she laughingly calls a darning chair, where she is yet to sit while sewing buttons on, but nice idea hey!), hanging rails, airing cupboard, the works. I want one!!

Or in basements or the garage

What is this “ironing board” of which you speak? This is a foreign concept to me. Is is uniquely British?

Did it need a shilling to work it, too?

Last edited:
Ironing boards look something like this, Herat :cool:
Mini Ironing Board | Hobby Lobby | 1438332
350Wx350H-1438332-0419.jpg

I just bought one of these for my kitten who likes to "help" me iron quilt blocks on the kitchen counter. Now she sits on the mini board and stays out of my way.

So it's like a massage table of sorts.

Like for rolfing, or cupping, or reiki.

Why would one do this in a laundry room?

giphy.gif
Serious question...Why?
Is that a 'British' thing? Our fitted kitchens are nearly all designed to included a space for them.
Where do non-Brits put their washers?

I'm more 'Yipes' why the Cottage for sale has it right next to the toilet! :confused:
0_EL_GLO1112019HydeCottage_05.jpg

It is quite normal in Europe for washing machines to be in the bathroom but it seems like a health and safety risk to me.

There was a debate a while back by a U.K presenter Kirstie Allsopp who says having your washing machine in the kitchen is common (showing a lack of taste and refinement supposedly typical of the lower classes; vulgar.)

I am sure Her Majesty doesn’t have her washing machine in her kitchen.

Yep. Americans think we're a bit weird. :D

... They have utility rooms (as do we in some houses)
I know more modern-ish homes had a utility room [a fancy name given to the spare space between the kitchen & inner garage door :cool:] which could be used BUT... there wasn't any water/plumbing pipework when new-builds, plus there wasn't a door from the kitchen so technically it was really still part of the kitchen :rolleyes:

I think most bigger new-builds do have a separate utility/laundry room now, which again do seem to be next to the kitchen-DOWNSTAIRS! :eek:
I honestly hadn't ever thought about before :confused: OMG! all that time & effort up/down/up the flamin' stairs with all those baskets of washing.
Or in basements or the garage
"basements"??
GDxfHbzCRBXdfn6YUaUovmbO_HU3WbQY4xPyo-Rwy7E.jpg
We don't have "basements" in England we have Cellars :D

Which were for coal storage & kinda look like this
4976199783_3c9b17f5e8_b.jpg

dr_crippen_cellar.jpg

Britain—the land where tea reigns supreme, rain is a fixture in the forecast, and cookies are actually referred to as “biscuits.”

They might not have a basement, either.

Many Americans view basements as a must-have in their homes. Some are used for storage, and others are finished and used as an extra living space. They’re really not that common in Britain, though,

In the homes that do have them, they’re typically
more of a cellar—dark, damp, and rocky spaces that you might think would be better suited to a secret creepy hideout than a place you’d want to put any of your stuff
:D But generally if your house was build any time since the Victorian era it probably still won't have one.

it’s strange to me that they do cooking. I would have a chef that made the most delicious beautiful healthy meals.

I would much rather do other things such as read WS,

I wonder if they never have a cook?

I get the impression that the Duchess of Cambridge really enjoys being a hands on Mother cooking for her family, going to the supermarket herself, taking the children to fairs etc despite their lavish circumstances and access to significant help. I’m sure the Cambridge children are enjoying as normal and carefree childhood as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500