Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep remembering that the award of costs to BS for the cousins' lawsuit was just a week before the murders. Wonder if TPS has looked at connections/ communications between them and other family members?

Not only court costs but according to this KW was also ordered to repay $8 million for loans from Barry for the promissory note he signed, prior to the cousins initiating the lawsuit.

Feb 1, 2018
“As part of the court's decision, Winter not only lost his claim on his cousin's fortune, but he was also ordered to pay Sherman back $8 million. Just a week before the Shermans were found dead, a court ordered Winter and his siblings to pay Sherman $300,000 in legal costs.”
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/barry-sherman-cousin-1.4514176

(from 2007)
“In his lawsuit, Mr. Sherman alleges that Mr. Winter, 45, signed a promissory note last November agreeing to repay $7.9-million on demand. Mr. Winter had borrowed the money over the years to finance a home renovation business and purchase several properties, according to family members. Mr. Sherman is seeking repayment of the promissory note, plus interest, as well as possession of a house in Fenelon Falls, Ont.”
With 'disgust,' Apotex head strikes back

“While Sherman has successfully taken on big pharma, he hasn’t been as lucky with his own relatives. He’s the principal defendant in a $1‑billion lawsuit brought last year by two of his cousins, the unfortunate heirs of the late Louis Winter, founder of Empire Laboratories, a forerunner to Apotex. They claim Sherman didn’t honour an option agreement that would have allowed them employment in the family business and the right to purchase, collectively, 20 per cent of the company shares. Sherman has also sued, recalling more than $8 million in loans he had made to his cousin Kerry Winter, the most aggressive of Lou’s sons. Winter has a history of drug addiction and has already spent years of his adult life entangled in this feud.”
How Barry Sherman built his multibillion-dollar fortune

Just found this and think, it is remarkable (not for the case).
Today, a huge black fence of plywood and spray-paint lines the lot on the sidewalk side. Cut into the boards, on either end of the lot, are two peepholes framed with thick red tape. If you bend down and peer through them, what you’ll see is a rectangle of tree-lined emptiness. There are no foundations, no signs of the pool, no hints of the lives the Shermans once led or of who ended them or why.

Sherman murder investigation: 243 witnesses interviewed by police, zero arrests
How sad and strange, wonder if somebody added the peepholes?

Fine Art America

KD said in an interview that he thinks the sculptures were in the house when it was demolished.

How sad, I also want to know why the need to demolish?

I found it interesting that given the above statement, the detective that did the press conference said there are a number of theories. I never trust what LE tells the public, many times at the end of the day it turns out to be BS or just plain wrong.

Especially TPS

Hate to sound naive, but a sense of entitlement runs like a river through this entire story, not always with negative connotations, but in various forms, appearing, it seems, with every major chapter.

Entitlement just may ultimately top hate as the most powerful force - The Motive - for the murders.

Your last sentence answers my question, and it has been plaguing me throughout this case.

Not only court costs but according to this KW was also ordered to repay $8 million for loans from Barry for the promissory note he signed, prior to the cousins initiating the lawsuit.

Feb 1, 2018
“As part of the court's decision, Winter not only lost his claim on his cousin's fortune, but he was also ordered to pay Sherman back $8 million. Just a week before the Shermans were found dead, a court ordered Winter and his siblings to pay Sherman $300,000 in legal costs.”
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/barry-sherman-cousin-1.4514176

(from 2007)
“In his lawsuit, Mr. Sherman alleges that Mr. Winter, 45, signed a promissory note last November agreeing to repay $7.9-million on demand. Mr. Winter had borrowed the money over the years to finance a home renovation business and purchase several properties, according to family members. Mr. Sherman is seeking repayment of the promissory note, plus interest, as well as possession of a house in Fenelon Falls, Ont.”
With 'disgust,' Apotex head strikes back

“While Sherman has successfully taken on big pharma, he hasn’t been as lucky with his own relatives. He’s the principal defendant in a $1‑billion lawsuit brought last year by two of his cousins, the unfortunate heirs of the late Louis Winter, founder of Empire Laboratories, a forerunner to Apotex. They claim Sherman didn’t honour an option agreement that would have allowed them employment in the family business and the right to purchase, collectively, 20 per cent of the company shares. Sherman has also sued, recalling more than $8 million in loans he had made to his cousin Kerry Winter, the most aggressive of Lou’s sons. Winter has a history of drug addiction and has already spent years of his adult life entangled in this feud.”
How Barry Sherman built his multibillion-dollar fortune

I am sure the TPS was all over KW as the prime suspect early in the investigation, especially as he was a loud and public proponent of the M/S theory. Based on the court rulings against him, KS certainly would have been disappointed and angry. Paying the judgement amounts to BS possibly would have bankrupted KW. Plus he would have lost a home in Fenelon Falls, plus $300,000.00 in legal costs!

I know I would have been very upset if these events happened to me, and were brought on by my billionaire uncle. To me it would seem to me my uncle was punishing me.

How sad, I also want to know why the need to demolish?
The following is from CTV News:

The Toronto home of Barry and Honey Sherman, where the couple had been murdered, is being demolished after the North York Community Council approved the family’s request.

Demolition crews were at the residence Monday, with one excavator seen tearing down the side of the home.

The billionaire philanthropist couple was found dead at the home on Dec. 15, 2017. Since then, investigators haven’t named or arrested any suspects, but a Toronto Star report said investigators may have a working theory in the ongoing murder case.

Apotex founder and former CEO Barry and his wife Honey were discovered in a semi-seated position with belts looped around their necks from a railing beside the indoor pool. The autopsies on the Shermans determined that they both died of “ligature neck compression.”

In a letter sent to North York Community Council back in February, family representative Eric Kirshenblatt said the house harboured bad memories for the Sherman family.

“It was very emotional but I think they're relieved,” he said in March, when the demolition was approved. At the time, the family said it was planning on tearing the building down, filling in the pool and eventually putting the lot up for sale.

In the demolition application, the family’s agent said it “pains” the family to have the house still standing. “No one will purchase the home as it presently stands,” the letter stated.

I am sure the TPS was all over KW as the prime suspect early in the investigation, especially as he was a loud and public proponent of the M/S theory. Based on the court rulings against him, KS certainly would have been disappointed and angry. Paying the judgement amounts to BS possibly would have bankrupted KW. Plus he would have lost a home in Fenelon Falls, plus $300,000.00 in legal costs!

I know I would have been very upset if these events happened to me, and were brought on by my billionaire uncle. To me it would seem to me my uncle was punishing me.

Something that’s not been reported in the media is specifically what was it that initially sparked the bitter feud between Barry and KW.

It would seem far too coincidental to me if KW just happened to have lost $8 million that had been given to him as a loan and then was unable to repay anything at the very same time the option agreement was discovered for a decades old company which no longer existed.

What specifically caused their relationship to sour, if prior to that for a number of years Barry was generously helping KW toward establishing success in his chosen field. We don’t know. But whatever the reason I think is connected to why Barry chose the legal route in calling the loan. But to what extent those circumstances played any role in future events......anyone’s guess. JMO

Something that’s not been reported in the media is specifically what was it that initially sparked the bitter feud between Barry and KW.

It would seem far too coincidental to me if KW just happened to have lost $8 million that had been given to him as a loan and then was unable to repay anything at the very same time the option agreement was discovered for a decades old company which no longer existed.

What specifically caused their relationship to sour, if prior to that for a number of years Barry was generously helping KW toward establishing success in his chosen field. We don’t know. But whatever the reason I think is connected to why Barry chose the legal route in calling the loan. But to what extent those circumstances played any role in future events......anyone’s guess. JMO
For those who've read the book, does KD delve deeply into the background of the lawsuits?

For those who've read the book, does KD delve deeply into the background of the lawsuits?

probably the #1 topic of the book (other than of course the murders themselves)

basically, the winters (barry's cousins i think... 4 siblings, all boys) were left unexpectedly as orphans. there was one loving related family that was enthusiastic to take them. but they weren't jewish. so the kids went to jewish relatives and arguably it didn't work out very well....

anyway, skipping some details but barry took over his uncle's company. purchased it. some sort of agreement that the kids could work there and buy 5% (each i think) when they got old enough

barry sold the company for a few reasons. but one thing was that the agreement with the purchaser was that shareholders couldn't compete for a few years. but barry owned a company that owned his piece of company he was selling.

so he started up another company. and became a billionaire.

winters argment was that he couldn't have become billionaire without the original winters company, which i think is correct........ court didn't see it that way, and i'm not sure it had much legal basis..... EDIT: and as per wording, i think the book said some BS associates thought he should have better financially with the cousins. it was my suggestion to give them 2% of the company, or $X million, with few strings attached.

a few people close to BS apparently thought he should have honored the agreement with the cousins but at a much reduced rate. $5B company. given them 2% = $100MM or something like that. (the example itself is my thinking).. barry's argument is that he was very young himself and busy. perhaps financially on edge. i.e. more important things on his mind.

anyway, if KW or a sibling did it, i would be shocked if they hadn't been arrested already... i think KW might just admit it.

lastly, i can't believe BS sold the company and started over just to invalidate that 20% future minority position. and no idea what price the brothers would have paid at age of majority. i don't remember any other explanation though. i guess getting cash up-front and building up faster with that cash

Last edited:

he didn't have the $8M any more...... he didn't lose it at that moment......... spent it and/or invested it.... i don't think the cousins thought they'd ever need to repay the money, but i really don't know

KD reported extensively on JS’s correspondence with his father, including JS criticizing BS for his financial dealings and Barry’s advances to FD. JS was evidently requesting hundreds of millions of dollars from his father to invest in cottage country properties. As I recall, BArry indicated his cash flow was tight at that time, and suggested JS use his existing assets to get conventional financing from a bank.
Not to point out the obvious, and not to be too graphic, but Couldn’t Barry’s response be construed by some as telling JS to “tighten his belt”? Do others see the connection between this and the belts used to hold the bodies up?

I can't access KD's previous articles (non-subscriber) but I recall it was stated that (maybe a year--year and a half later) BS was in a cash position to give his son the funds that he requested, and he did so. It seems that BS gave into JS request for money after all.

The following is from CTV News:

The Toronto home of Barry and Honey Sherman, where the couple had been murdered, is being demolished after the North York Community Council approved the family’s request.

Demolition crews were at the residence Monday, with one excavator seen tearing down the side of the home.

The billionaire philanthropist couple was found dead at the home on Dec. 15, 2017. Since then, investigators haven’t named or arrested any suspects, but a Toronto Star report said investigators may have a working theory in the ongoing murder case.

Apotex founder and former CEO Barry and his wife Honey were discovered in a semi-seated position with belts looped around their necks from a railing beside the indoor pool. The autopsies on the Shermans determined that they both died of “ligature neck compression.”

In a letter sent to North York Community Council back in February, family representative Eric Kirshenblatt said the house harboured bad memories for the Sherman family.

“It was very emotional but I think they're relieved,” he said in March, when the demolition was approved. At the time, the family said it was planning on tearing the building down, filling in the pool and eventually putting the lot up for sale.

In the demolition application, the family’s agent said it “pains” the family to have the house still standing. “No one will purchase the home as it presently stands,” the letter stated.

I’m glad the Sherman family are able to demolish the house to have it standing must be very painful emotionally. I have wondered if it has become a sick local landmark for people to walk past. Hopefully once it is an empty lot a new house will be built and a family can enjoy living there once again.

he didn't have the $8M any more...... he didn't lose it at that moment......... spent it and/or invested it.... i don't think the cousins thought they'd ever need to repay the money, but i really don't know

Just an observation in general...it’s perplexing to me how relatives of wealthy people are sometimes given a huge amounts of money for certain reasons, yet they squander it. But then they believe they ought to be entitled to even more. Really, how pointless is that.

probably the #1 topic of the book (other than of course the murders themselves)

basically, the winters (barry's cousins i think... 4 siblings, all boys) were left unexpectedly as orphans. there was one loving related family that was enthusiastic to take them. but they weren't jewish. so the kids went to jewish relatives and arguably it didn't work out very well....

anyway, skipping some details but barry took over his uncle's company. purchased it. some sort of agreement that the kids could work there and buy 5% (each i think) when they got old enough

barry sold the company for a few reasons. but one thing was that the agreement with the purchaser was that shareholders couldn't compete for a few years. but barry owned a company that owned his piece of company he was selling.

so he started up another company. and became a billionaire.

winters argment was that he couldn't have become billionaire without the original winters company, which i think is correct........ court didn't see it that way, and i'm not sure it had much legal basis..... EDIT: and as per wording, i think the book said some BS associates thought he should have better financially with the cousins. it was my suggestion to give them 2% of the company, or $X million, with few strings attached.

a few people close to BS apparently thought he should have honored the agreement with the cousins but at a much reduced rate. $5B company. given them 2% = $100MM or something like that. (the example itself is my thinking).. barry's argument is that he was very young himself and busy. perhaps financially on edge. i.e. more important things on his mind.

anyway, if KW or a sibling did it, i would be shocked if they hadn't been arrested already... i think KW might just admit it.

lastly, i can't believe BS sold the company and started over just to invalidate that 20% future minority position. and no idea what price the brothers would have paid at age of majority. i don't remember any other explanation though. i guess getting cash up-front and building up faster with that cash
Thanks. Is there anything about what triggered the falling out after BS had been generous. IIRC, someone claimed the Winters approached BS about their rights to Apotex, and BS was outraged and called in the 'loans'. But Misty is suggesting the falling out had already happened, BS had called in the $8 million, and the Winters came up with the old stock/employment option as a way to fight back against that.

It seems quite possible to me. If all was hunky dory, and your generous uncle was handing over millions, why would anyone risk that with a very legally dodgy story dating back decades.

Thanks. Is there anything about what triggered the falling out after BS had been generous. IIRC, someone claimed the Winters approached BS about their rights to Apotex, and BS was outraged and called in the 'loans'. But Misty is suggesting the falling out had already happened, BS had called in the $8 million, and the Winters came up with the old stock/employment option as a way to fight back against that.

It seems quite possible to me. If all was hunky dory, and your generous uncle was handing over millions, why would anyone risk that with a very legally dodgy story dating back decades.

Yes, this is exactly what I’m wondering. The two were so close at one time that KW described Barry as a “surrogate father”, I’m quite certain something specific must’ve occurred to create a sudden fracture in that relationship for the reasons you state.

The only hint of what might’ve been involved iirc was during the 5th estate show when KW said Honey approached him with questions about what he was doing with the money he’d been given by Barry. From that, only guessing, KW seemed to hold Honey at least partially responsible for the falling out if she was distrustful of KW for some reason. Did she become aware of incriminating information which she passed on to Barry causing the rift, I don’t know.

A lot has been published about the cousins lawsuit and how wrongly and deceived they believed they’d been treated during KWs various interviews but I can’t help but notice “the other side of the story” is virtually absent. So as time continues to pass and the media seems to relish digging into the Sherman private and personal lives, the reason for the cloak of silence surrounding events leading up to the failed billion dollar Sherman/Winter feud puzzles me.

I think Kerry W. would agree that it would be logical that he would be considered a POI for the Sherman murders. His family's decade long lawsuit was dismissed, and the awarding of BS's legal fees of $300,000 had just been ruled on several days before the murders. (Let alone the demand for repayment of $8 million loans to BS, let alone the Winter's legal bill).

In addition to his obvious financial reasons for revenge, Kerry openly expressed to the media, his deep emotional hurt, resentment and hatred for the Sherman's. Who could miss his multi-media coverage of him smearing the Shermans and spewing out how much he hated Honey and fantasized about killing Barry?

It was blatantly obvious to the everyone on the planet that KW needed to be investigated. But TPs didn't think so. They didn't call him for an interview until after the 5th Estate ran their show on Feb. 2/18. I believe he went in for his interview on Feb. 8-- 55 days after the bodies were found. An obvious POI wasn't even looked at for 55 days.

IMO, this is just another example of TPS's tunnel vision in treating the deaths as a M/S for many weeks after the murder. Statistics show how critical the first 48 hours are to an investigation. Hopefully, TPS have gone on to recover from this, and have made progress.

I think Kerry W. would agree that it would be logical that he would be considered a POI for the Sherman murders. His family's decade long lawsuit was dismissed, and the awarding of BS's legal fees of $300,000 had just been ruled on several days before the murders. (Let alone the demand for repayment of $8 million loans to BS, let alone the Winter's legal bill).

In addition to his obvious financial reasons for revenge, Kerry openly expressed to the media, his deep emotional hurt, resentment and hatred for the Sherman's. Who could miss his multi-media coverage of him smearing the Shermans and spewing out how much he hated Honey and fantasized about killing Barry?

It was blatantly obvious to the everyone on the planet that KW needed to be investigated. But TPs didn't think so. They didn't call him for an interview until after the 5th Estate ran their show on Feb. 2/18. I believe he went in for his interview on Feb. 8-- 55 days after the bodies were found. An obvious POI wasn't even looked at for 55 days.

IMO, this is just another example of TPS's tunnel vision in treating the deaths as a M/S for many weeks after the murder. Statistics show how critical the first 48 hours are to an investigation. Hopefully, TPS have gone on to recover from this, and have made progress.

Other than KW declaring he wasn’t called in for an interview until Feb/18, do we know that for a fact? IIRC there was an issue about his truthfulness or accurate recollect regarding his story about Barry in prior years asking him to hire a hit man to murder Honey.

I pledge I’m a natural-born sceptic but I don’t think it’s possible to believe 100% of what we’re told about this case through the media....or any case for that matter.

What Idsinga said —

“I’ve said it in other investigations and I’ll say this in this investigation: If you don’t hear it from the primary investigator’s mouth or the major case manager’s mouth, then you’ve got to take everything with a grain of salt,” he said.”

What you recall about the falling out is the only thing I have read in the media. Barry was quoted as saying the same in an interview, or at court..I'll try to find the quote after Christmas. :)

Yes, this is exactly what I’m wondering. The two were so close at one time that KW described Barry as a “surrogate father”, I’m quite certain something specific must’ve occurred to create a sudden fracture in that relationship for the reasons you state.

The only hint of what might’ve been involved iirc was during the 5th estate show when KW said Honey approached him with questions about what he was doing with the money he’d been given by Barry. From that, only guessing, KW seemed to hold Honey at least partially responsible for the falling out if she was distrustful of KW for some reason. Did she become aware of incriminating information which she passed on to Barry causing the rift, I don’t know.

A lot has been published about the cousins lawsuit and how wrongly and deceived they believed they’d been treated during KWs various interviews but I can’t help but notice “the other side of the story” is virtually absent. So as time continues to pass and the media seems to relish digging into the Sherman private and personal lives, the reason for the cloak of silence surrounding events leading up to the failed billion dollar Sherman/Winter feud puzzles me.
The whole "deprived of our rightful inheritance when we were children" argument never had the slightest legal chance to succeed, and lawyers must have advised that. Could it have maybe just been a faint hope delay tactic to avoid ever having to pay back the $8 million? Did they hope to get Barry to settle out of court by dropping the $8 million in loans suit?

The Winters suit had the key advantage of giving BS some very bad publicity, implying that he'd become rich by stealing from orphans: a decidedly Dickensian story. That can't have been pleasant for Honey or the kids, even if Barry didn't care. IMO most people like the Shermans would have settled to keep it quiet: $8 million was peanuts to them. I wonder how the rest of the family felt about Barry's determination to fight it through to the end.

Other than KW declaring he wasn’t called in for an interview until Feb/18, do we know that for a fact? IIRC there was an issue about his truthfulness or accurate recollect regarding his story about Barry in prior years asking him to hire a hit man to murder Honey.

I pledge I’m a natural-born sceptic but I don’t think it’s possible to believe 100% of what we’re told about this case through the media....or any case for that matter.

What Idsinga said —

“I’ve said it in other investigations and I’ll say this in this investigation: If you don’t hear it from the primary investigator’s mouth or the major case manager’s mouth, then you’ve got to take everything with a grain of salt,” he said.”

I really don't see why KW would lie about the date he was called in for an interview with TPS. This was before we knew much about the investigation, or the PI's determination that it was a double murder, and before their claim that TPS had screwed up.

In other words, he made a simple statement of when he went in, and it was me who drew attention to it and used it as negative toward TPS. Blame me --not Kerry for slamming LE, who you defend against all evidence. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998