The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bittersweet start to the Queen's winter break: Her Majesty's arrives in Sandringham by train for Christmas - as it's announced Prince Philip is in hospital in London

The Queen is on her way to start her winter break at Sandringham | Daily Mail Online

View attachment 221417 View attachment 221418 View attachment 221419

If there was a medical emergency, you'd expect Prince Philip (or any other member of the Royal Family staying at Sandringham) to be taken to the hospital in Kings Lynn.

It would be about an hour and a half to a 2 hour drive from Sandringham to London, so that definitely supports that it's not an emergency. I'd guess the Duke would be out in time to spend Christmas Eve with the family?

Queen Elizabeth II news: Why did the Queen not stay with Prince Philip in London?

THE QUEEN travelled to Sandringham for her Christmas break on Friday on the same day Prince Philip was admitted to hospital in London.

Queen Elizabeth II arrived at Sandringham today after putting off her Christmas break following the general election. After attending the State Opening of Parliament on Thursday the Queen was finally free to take her annual train journey from King’s Cross to King’s Lynn, Norfolk today.

Will we see Prince Philip on Christmas Day?
While the royal family traditionally come together for a church service in Sandringham on Christmas Day, the Duke has not been present since 2017.

If he leaves hospital in time for Wednesday it seems very unlikely Philip will attend this year’s church service
. :(
“Prince Philip will remain in hospital under observation for a few days.”
Express

I'm not sure what to make of this?

Surely if it was anything serious or of some concern I'd think HM would want to be with him no matter what? o_O
I mean at 97 every minor health scare is potentially very serious thou?
Maybe it is serious & 'they' are preparing HM, making sure she's at home safely with the rest of the family, well away from public view...:(

Or hopefully, Philip's just so sick of the all the ongoing shenanigans he wants to nothing to do with the 'Royal Family Christmas at Sandringham' & is so fed up of the whole the lots of 'em he's planned his own 'Great Escape' ;)
GiftedBabyishHowlermonkey-size_restricted.gif

Church services are boring for little kids :p

;)The article was badly worded as it was about both Prince George & Princess Charlotte attending the service for the 1st time as they are now considered old enough.
I guess that's probably thought to be 'full-time school-age'? :confused:
These pics?
0_EL_GLO1112019HydeCottage_01.jpg

4c01c21244a5d950ec062fd1f3b20b0ccf8a490b.jpg
:D Ok. I really am gonna need do this...
I promise I will be back & attempt to answer these questions but for now here's a little teaser :cool:

That’s a nice renovation on the Monmouth Alms Houses.

The probate cottage went for 190,000. If someone renovates it well it would be a very sweet little place.

that is very nice re the gifts.

the thought that counts is that the Queen remembers her staff. I wonder if she meets them all ?

at one time when I taught art, I had 1,500 different students every two weeks. The same students all year.

I did get to know them over the course of time. But, I taught at a school where there was a lot of moving .

I wonder how much turnover there is

It’s possible there’s some kind of bonus for longstanding employees, but I would be mortified if that was published. In general, money is not discussed.

I think the Queens’s gifts are lovely, thoughtful, traditional, and not over the top.

Americans are too over the top with the Disney Land Christmas celebrations...

Though, one small company I worked for gave her employees a 3M cleaning kit, complete with toilet paper! In a box with a pretty bow. Lol! Actually, it turned out I loved it.

Jmo... bonuses, cash, are not discussed because amounts tend to vary.

Last edited:
Prince Philip in HELICOPTER hospital dash: Duke was flown from Sandringham (just as the Queen arrived) after battling a 'flu-like' illness

Prince Philip in HELICOPTER hospital dash to hospital | Daily Mail Online

But, this headline says 'hospital dash' .... Surely it was just easier to go in the helicopter than a long drive in Christmas traffic? But as it's not to the local hospital (local to Sandringham) surely it can't have been that much of a 'dash'?

that is very nice re the gifts.

the thought that counts is that the Queen remembers her staff. I wonder if she meets them all ?
:D Yes, every one is thanked for their services & wished a 'Merry Christmas' when presented with the gifts personally by the Queen, (her personal aide will stand
by her to whisper everyones name too! lol)
before they all get to Go Party in the Palace!

It’s possible there’s some kind of bonus for longstanding employees, but I would be mortified if that was published. In general, money is not discussed.
Christmas Bonuses are quite common here, particularly in 'corporate businesses' < is that the correct terminology? :confused: > so it's very likely.
As you say these things are perks of the job, it's basically at the discretion of the employer & kept private.

Coincidentally ...
Today was Black Eyed Friday here in the UK.!

It's always been know as Black Friday until recently, for obvious reasons not to confuse things it's now the extended version used by the media :p

Black Friday (partying)

Black Friday, Mad Friday, Frantic Friday or Black Eye Friday is a nickname for the last Friday before Christmas in Great Britain

images
It is the most popular night for office and factories Christmas parties, which consequently makes it one of the busiest nights in the year for ambulances and the police.
88421.jpg

Father Christmas is looking a bit worse for wear, we hope he can sober up in time Christmas.
The term Black Friday originates as "jargon" used by NHS and Police, and has entered the popular lexicon. From 2013, the press began to use the term Mad Friday to avoid confusion with the American Black Friday in November,
88416.jpg

Santa Claus gives up and takes a nap on the biggest party night brefore Christmas
In parts of the United Kingdom, the day has been referred to as Black Eye Friday, due to unusually high number of fights that break out in bars, pubs and clubs in the area. :rolleyes:

88415.jpg

It's Black-eye Friday

With the majority of Christmas office parties taking place tonight, Black Eye Friday brings drunk chaos across the UK.

Express

giphy.gif

The look on QE2's face. Horses? Princess Margaret the only one smiling. Check the man to the right ;)
upload_2019-12-21_2-5-59.png

If you remember the old five pence and ten pence pieces...:)

They had either George VI or the very, very young QE2 on them. They were very attractive coins.:confused:

The ten pence was often called by older people 'a bob' and the five pence was often called a 'half bob':oops:
So they were the same size & would be suitable for the purpose of @Herat's Grannies olde-pay-4-heat-gas heater? :confused:
~Wow that was some mouthful

Or a sweet/bubblegum dispenser?
1980s-vending-machines-outside-newsagent-in-shoreditch-east-london-E558GN.jpg

Sweets Not Candy!
I don't remember seeing George VI on any coins in circulation, thou I guess wasn't really looking back then :D

What do u mean "older" people??:eek: 'Bob' is still used up 'ere, thou nowadays it's rarely anything other than '10-Bob' (That's £1 to all you non-elderly Brits & non-Brits;) )

Prince Philip kept in hospital overnight for treatment of pre-existing condition
Aides say Duke of Edinburgh, 98,:oops: (Oops...I realised as soon as I posted ^) admitted on Friday as precautionary measure

The Duke of Edinburgh has spent the night in hospital after being admitted for treatment relating to a pre-existing condition.

He is expected to spend the run-up to Christmas in the care of medical staff after being admitted to the King Edward VII’s hospital in central London.

Buckingham Palace described Prince Philip’s planned admission on Friday to the private facility, which has been treating members of the royal family for decades, as a precautionary measure.

A Buckingham Palace statement on Friday said: “The Duke of Edinburgh travelled from Norfolk this morning to the King Edward VII hospital in London for observation and treatment in relation to a pre-existing condition.

“The admission is a precautionary measure, on the advice of His Royal Highness’s doctor.”

The Guardian
bd2787c6f569097ba820981c45baddc6.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members