GUILTY Australia - Samuel Thompson, 22, murdered, Albion, Qld, 7 March 2017 *Arrests* #5

Guilty verdict - life sentence - will be out in 20 years. Jury took 12 hours to deliberate and must have reached the conclusion they jointly jumped the victim. Can't see Dyball's ending any other way.

I don't know why they bother to call 20 years of non-parole a life sentence. He will be out when he is less than 45 years old (depending how much time he has served already). And by then he will be well and truly institutionalised. Will likely have adopted any further (lack of) moral compass from his fellow murderous prison pals.

Can still have children, can still have at least 40 years of life ahead of him. While Sam has none.

I don't know why they bother to call 20 years of non-parole a life sentence. He will be out when he is less than 45 years old (depending how much time he has served already). And by then he will be well and truly institutionalised. Will likely have adopted any further (lack of) moral compass from his fellow murderous prison pals.

Can still have children, can still have at least 40 years of life ahead of him. While Sam has none.
It means that following release he'll have to submit to parole requirements for the rest of his life, and in principle a breach of the conditions can lead to reimprisonment until death. I don't know if that ever happens; I seem to hear pretty often of it not happening, with disastrous consequences; but that's why it's called life. It's not the same as a sentence of twenty years without parole.
Maximum penalties

‘He was taken by an act of pure evil’

The family of murdered man Samuel Hunter Thompson have shared heartbreaking victim impact statements after his killer was sentenced to life behind bars.

ROBERTO Boscaino has been sentenced to life behind bars for the 2017 murder of Samuel Hunter Thompson.

Justice Ann Lyons said the convicted murderer had arranged to do a $30,000 drug deal the day he died.

But less than an hour after meeting Boscaino and Syrian fighter Ashley Dyball, he was dead.

“Your actions took the life of another man, by your own evidence he was your friend,” she said.

“He was ultimately beaten or strangled to death...

After his death you took part of an extraordinary cover up... you lied to police but concerningly... you went about your daily life as if nothing had happened. Your girlfriend noticed nothing different...”

In a victim impact statement read to the court on Friday, Mr Thompson’s father Bruce Thompson said he “resented” and “hated” Boscaino.

“Sam came into this world as an act of pure love and was taken from this world by an act of pure evil,” he said.

The father told the court his wife had “gone through so much” to bring their child into the world, who was eight weeks premature.

“Did he know he was going to die? What were his last thoughts... no one in this court room will never know Sam’s last moment, but you,” he said.

The man’s sister Courtney Thompson told the court: “When you killed Sam you killed part of me too. You took away my life and turned it into my worst nightmare. I no longer feel happy like I used to. The only way I cope is to pretend like this isn’t real, acting like everything is fine because I’m afraid of the person I would turn into if I come to terms with what happened to Sam.”

“Our family can never be repaired, you broke us. I’m too young to feel this depth of sadness. There are places I can’t visit anymore because you have tainted those memories,” she said.

“Sam was my big brother... he had a heart of gold, he cared about me so much.

“I always knew if Sam was by my side I was going to be OK.

“I miss him so much... there will always be an empty chair where he once sat.

“All of my pain is real, I feel it every day of my life... this is what I have to live with forever. You may be the one in jail but we are the ones serving the life sentence.”

Mr Thompson’s mother Debbie Thompson said her son would give the “shirt off his back, no question”.

“No mother should out last her son,” she said.

“... I will never be able to pick up the phone and talk to my son. I will never again hear his voice or feel his hugs. I will never again hear him say: ‘I love you Mum’.”

Boscaino has already served more than 900 days behind bars.

Category: | The Courier Mail

‘He was taken by an act of pure evil’

The family of murdered man Samuel Hunter Thompson have shared heartbreaking victim impact statements after his killer was sentenced to life behind bars.

ROBERTO Boscaino has been sentenced to life behind bars for the 2017 murder of Samuel Hunter Thompson.

Justice Ann Lyons said the convicted murderer had arranged to do a $30,000 drug deal the day he died.

But less than an hour after meeting Boscaino and Syrian fighter Ashley Dyball, he was dead.

“Your actions took the life of another man, by your own evidence he was your friend,” she said.

“He was ultimately beaten or strangled to death...

After his death you took part of an extraordinary cover up... you lied to police but concerningly... you went about your daily life as if nothing had happened. Your girlfriend noticed nothing different...”

In a victim impact statement read to the court on Friday, Mr Thompson’s father Bruce Thompson said he “resented” and “hated” Boscaino.

“Sam came into this world as an act of pure love and was taken from this world by an act of pure evil,” he said.

The father told the court his wife had “gone through so much” to bring their child into the world, who was eight weeks premature.

“Did he know he was going to die? What were his last thoughts... no one in this court room will never know Sam’s last moment, but you,” he said.

The man’s sister Courtney Thompson told the court: “When you killed Sam you killed part of me too. You took away my life and turned it into my worst nightmare. I no longer feel happy like I used to. The only way I cope is to pretend like this isn’t real, acting like everything is fine because I’m afraid of the person I would turn into if I come to terms with what happened to Sam.”

“Our family can never be repaired, you broke us. I’m too young to feel this depth of sadness. There are places I can’t visit anymore because you have tainted those memories,” she said.

“Sam was my big brother... he had a heart of gold, he cared about me so much.

“I always knew if Sam was by my side I was going to be OK.

“I miss him so much... there will always be an empty chair where he once sat.

“All of my pain is real, I feel it every day of my life... this is what I have to live with forever. You may be the one in jail but we are the ones serving the life sentence.”

Mr Thompson’s mother Debbie Thompson said her son would give the “shirt off his back, no question”.

“No mother should out last her son,” she said.

“... I will never be able to pick up the phone and talk to my son. I will never again hear his voice or feel his hugs. I will never again hear him say: ‘I love you Mum’.”

Boscaino has already served more than 900 days behind bars.

Category: | The Courier Mail
So, so sad, tears in my eyes reading the impact statements of Sam's heartbroken family. Sam made a choice any young lad could make and he paid a price too dear, his beautiful life horrifically taken by these 2 cowardly mongrels, they are pure evil!

Qld man in court for drug dealer's murder

There is also an article in The Courier Mail but it is paywalled

So Dyball is going for a trial ... with a Not Guilty plea.

Sounds like his lawyer is not disputing the event or Dyball being there. Just relying on the jury to decide on the extent of Dyball's involvement.

"He said the jurors needed to decide whether there is evidence Dyball was physically involved in Mr Thompson's killing, did anything to help or was involved in a plan that led to the death."

There is a news video here about Dyball's plea that tells a little more ... that Sam was killed within 57 minutes of showing up at Boscaino's place, and that the motive was to steal the money that Sam had (presumably, that was a good chunk of money).

https://www.smh.com.au/national/ash...e-helped-cover-up-murder-20200824-p55ow3.html

Looking back at Boscaino's trial coverage, it sounds as if both Boscaino and Dyball have tried to point the finger at each other. Which, I guess, is the best defence strategy.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/na...uilty-of-friend-s-murder-20191220-p53m0d.html

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back