Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #7 Pam Buckley & James P Freund

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t find a “Geraldine Hearst” who would have been around the same age as Earl. The information that is out there states she was a friend of his from school. Middle school?

I noticed on his thread someone mentioned that he would have been starting high school shortly after he disappeared and that he was not pictured in the 1972 yearbook. I looked through Fox High School yearbooks for the years 1969, 1971, and 1972 (1970 isn’t available on) on classmates.com and there is a Gerald Hearst/Hurst (GH) (Hurst being the most common spelling) who was a senior when Earl would have been a freshman. GH was in all of the 3 listed yearbooks. There was no “Geraldine” however. In the 1972 book, GH appears with the ‘72 graduating class. “Earl Joggerst” and “Geraldine Hurst” are both listed under “Unavailable Photos” for the freshman class. Earl and Geraldine aren’t listed in ‘73-‘75 either.

So, based on the years 1969-1975 for Fox High School and, for the most part, based on each classes headshot section of the book, this is what I was able to find:

1969: GH (grade 9)
1970: book unavailable
1971: GH (grade 11)

***disappearance***
1972: GH (grade 12), Earl & Geraldine (photo unavailable)
1973: not listed
1974: not listed
1975: not listed

Other than the yearbooks, it’s difficult for me to know for sure if anything I find is information on the correct Geraldine Hearst. Without violating TOS, I’ll share what stood out to me - I know someone here will be able to determine whether or not any of its relevant/applicable or not.

A Gearldine Ann Hurst (correct age, residence) married Harold Edward Flores (now deceased) in 1981. Both have ties to Missouri and California, among other places. I haven’t made it further than that but wanted to post this while it was fresh on my mind.
Harold E. “Eddie” Flores (1946-1988) - Find A...

*Edit: I don’t think this is the correct Geraldine/Gearldine

Last edited:
Why would witnesses from the KOA be able to describe significantly more about John Doe than they would Jane?? IIRC, a man and wife were the ones working and the ‘couple’ stayed for a period of time, left, returned and stayed for another period of time. The man knew quite a bit about John but where was Jane during this time? I’m assuming not with the man’s wife or there’d be more talk about her. I don’t know why that just crossed my mind...

It doesn’t appear that anyone has been able to find much about him or Geraldine. I did a quick search for Geraldine and didn’t find anything that was related to this. I didn’t spend much time on it, surely there is something about them somewhere. They know her name and his age... I suspect they didn’t release much in the initial stages of the investigation (plus they considered him just a runaway to begin with, not sure how long exactly) for the usual reasons, then as time went by and the case got cold it just all kind of fell to the wayside :( JMO. Hopefully someone is able to find more info...
I think Earl Joggerst was a victim of Corll. And the unknown boy on the pic found in Henley's possessions by his mother.

The Sumter two are related imo. Look at their noses. I always felt that they kinda had the same vibe/looks.

Attachments

• tumblr_inline_p8m2w8gKms1vqgd2i_540.jpg
    tumblr_inline_p8m2w8gKms1vqgd2i_540.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 64
Thx, maybe they belonged to a specific sub group. Anyways, Long Beach John Doe has the same feel to me for what's it worth.

Post mortem pic

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wuikipedia/commons/7/72/Long_Beach_John_Doe_1978.jpg
I actually thought the same thing earlier today when I was reading updates on his thread! I was like, dang this one recon looks so much like the male Sumter County Doe.

edited to add: reminds @dotr of someone who is Jewish of Russian ancestry

Last edited:
I actually thought the same thing earlier today when I was reading updates on his thread! I was like, dang this one recon looks so much like the male Sumter County Doe.

edited to add: reminds @dotr of someone who is Jewish of Russian ancestry

Add me to the list of people who thought that. So I came over to see if the resemblance was as close as I remembered.

I have been looking into the disappearance of Brian Joseph “Joe” Page for about a week now and I’m starting to think there’s a good chance he could be John Doe. (Yes...I realize I was pretty convinced the two were Stephen Locke and Linda Lovell...but I’ve...grown up since then? Maybe?)

Nonetheless, I’m thoroughly convinced Jane is Tiffany Doyle Felkey but haven’t been able to connect her to John or S.C.. Still can’t, really, but - the Mystery Couple being Tiffany and Brian makes more sense to me than any other theory I’ve come up with, or seen. IMO.

Tiffany allegedly disappeared from Santa Cruz, CA., around November 8, 1974. Brian was last seen at a party in Salem, OR., around January 15, 1975. That’s about a 2 month (60 day) difference. It was stated that Tiffany May have been hitchhiking on the day she disappeared (to or from where I don’t know).

Let’s say she made her way north, up there California coast into Oregon/Washington and at some point met Brian (or, I think more likely, one of his older siblings). Brian and his older sister were at a party and long story short, he and a friend left, both allegedly under the influence of LSD, his friend being arrested several hours later for stealing a vehicle but Brian and the friend’s VW Bug never to be seen again.

I’ve read as much as I can find on Brian and the events of that evening/morning and as suspected, Brian and the Volkswagen were presumed drowned. I’m not convinced. After all this time, nothing has ever turned up of Brian or the vehicle.

I went back to the beginning of the Mystery Couple’s story (I have noticed a lot of times the most reliable accounts and information are found in what’s released immediately following the event) and rereading some of the earlier articles, I found a few things I hadn’t seen previously. None of particular relevance but interesting. (They made plaster casts of tire-tread marks from the crime scene, for example...did not know that before a few days ago?!)

Anyway, I found a sketch of the Does released a couple of days after they were discovered that I don’t remember seeing before. (Although it’s quite possible I just don’t remember it) Seeing that really made me see the resemblance of John to Brian! That’s not the only reason behind my theory though.

-Brian’s initials are B.J.P. (here I go again :rolleyes:). Not J.P.F., (Even though J.P.B. isn’t far from looking like J.P.F. depending on certain variables) BUT, I don’t think it would not be too far fetched (at all) to think that Brian has a relative/family member who does. Just a guess.

-Brian was last seen in his friend’s turquoise (I think that’s the wrong word to describe the color. Which proved relevant when searching archives for possible vehicles matching this description that may have been seen or documented in another location after his disappearance) Volkswagen Bug bearing Oregon license plates. Which matches up with the Nebraskan mechanic’s recollection of servicing a vehicle with Washington or Oregon plates driven by a couple matching The Mystery Couple’s description.

-I found some other interesting newspaper articles just by reading each S.C. newspaper (can’t recall which city specifically) from the week prior to through the week following the couple’s discovery. Not anything extremely eye catching but it gave me some idea of local events going on at the time. There was a picture of a fruit (peach) stand, a newly hired reserve police woman assisting a man up after he was found sleeping somewhere he shouldn’t be, and quite a few robberies/crimes I’m sure have already been discussed here.

-I’m attaching a side by side of Brian and John Doe which contains a *GRAPHIC* postmortem image-
[URL='http://charleyproject.org/case/brian-joseph-page']Brian Joseph Page (16) - Salem OR, 1975

http://charleyproject.org/case/brian-joseph-page

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4dmor.html[/URL]
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4dmor.html
(I know this case is being worked by the DDP but I’ve grown rather obsessed, as I’m sure many of us have, so forgive me for continuing to post my rambling theories. I know we’re all eager for the day these two get their names back!)

Attachments

• D532B429-2787-41CC-BDB9-590B603B6058.jpeg
    D532B429-2787-41CC-BDB9-590B603B6058.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 72
I have been looking into the disappearance of Brian Joseph “Joe” Page for about a week now and I’m starting to think there’s a good chance he could be John Doe. (Yes...I realize I was pretty convinced the two were Stephen Locke and Linda Lovell...but I’ve...grown up since then? Maybe?)

Nonetheless, I’m thoroughly convinced Jane is Tiffany Doyle Felkey but haven’t been able to connect her to John or S.C.. Still can’t, really, but - the Mystery Couple being Tiffany and Brian makes more sense to me than any other theory I’ve come up with, or seen. IMO.

Tiffany allegedly disappeared from Santa Cruz, CA., around November 8, 1974. Brian was last seen at a party in Salem, OR., around January 15, 1975. That’s about a 2 month (60 day) difference. It was stated that Tiffany May have been hitchhiking on the day she disappeared (to or from where I don’t know).

Let’s say she made her way north, up there California coast into Oregon/Washington and at some point met Brian (or, I think more likely, one of his older siblings). Brian and his older sister were at a party and long story short, he and a friend left, both allegedly under the influence of LSD, his friend being arrested several hours later for stealing a vehicle but Brian and the friend’s VW Bug never to be seen again.

I’ve read as much as I can find on Brian and the events of that evening/morning and as suspected, Brian and the Volkswagen were presumed drowned. I’m not convinced. After all this time, nothing has ever turned up of Brian or the vehicle.

I went back to the beginning of the Mystery Couple’s story (I have noticed a lot of times the most reliable accounts and information are found in what’s released immediately following the event) and rereading some of the earlier articles, I found a few things I hadn’t seen previously. None of particular relevance but interesting. (They made plaster casts of tire-tread marks from the crime scene, for example...did not know that before a few days ago?!)

Anyway, I found a sketch of the Does released a couple of days after they were discovered that I don’t remember seeing before. (Although it’s quite possible I just don’t remember it) Seeing that really made me see the resemblance of John to Brian! That’s not the only reason behind my theory though.

-Brian’s initials are B.J.P. (here I go again :rolleyes:). Not J.P.F., (Even though J.P.B. isn’t far from looking like J.P.F. depending on certain variables) BUT, I don’t think it would not be too far fetched (at all) to think that Brian has a relative/family member who does. Just a guess.

-Brian was last seen in his friend’s turquoise (I think that’s the wrong word to describe the color. Which proved relevant when searching archives for possible vehicles matching this description that may have been seen or documented in another location after his disappearance) Volkswagen Bug bearing Oregon license plates. Which matches up with the Nebraskan mechanic’s recollection of servicing a vehicle with Washington or Oregon plates driven by a couple matching The Mystery Couple’s description.

-I found some other interesting newspaper articles just by reading each S.C. newspaper (can’t recall which city specifically) from the week prior to through the week following the couple’s discovery. Not anything extremely eye catching but it gave me some idea of local events going on at the time. There was a picture of a fruit (peach) stand, a newly hired reserve police woman assisting a man up after he was found sleeping somewhere he shouldn’t be, and quite a few robberies/crimes I’m sure have already been discussed here.

-I’m attaching a side by side of Brian and John Doe which contains a *GRAPHIC* postmortem image-
Brian Joseph Page (16) - Salem OR, 1975

Brian Joseph Page – The Charley Project
4DMOR - Brian Joseph Page
(I know this case is being worked by the DDP but I’ve grown rather obsessed, as I’m sure many of us have, so forgive me for continuing to post my rambling theories. I know we’re all eager for the day these two get their names back!)
Tiffany has a totally different mouth and chin. So I don't think she's our woman.

Not related to any particular post--

Just because the two were found murdered together doesn't mean they went missing together. They could have met on the road and decided to travel together.

My own opinion remains that Jane is more or less local (not the immediate area but nearby) and she was never reported missing because whoever would have reported it is responsible for or involved in the murders.

Jock mentioned that his father was a prominent Canadian doctor. I was able to find Dr. Jacques Ferron. His age puts him old enough to be Jock's father (1921-1985). Unfortunately, I could find no mention of him ever having children.

I had seen someone else had taken this route in their research on this case on Thread #6. However, I was not sure how to carry it onto this thread :/

Any thoughts?

Why would witnesses from the KOA be able to describe significantly more about John Doe than they would Jane?? IIRC, a man and wife were the ones working and the ‘couple’ stayed for a period of time, left, returned and stayed for another period of time. The man knew quite a bit about John but where was Jane during this time? I’m assuming not with the man’s wife or there’d be more talk about her. I don’t know why that just crossed my mind...

I don't think that's particularly unusual. KOA campgrounds were known for A frame office buildings and then a large recreational room either attached to the A frame or barely separated. My family camped every summer during the '70s. We stayed at KOAs all over the country. While my dad was checking in my sister and I would immediately check out the rec room. The basics were the same. There would be a ping pong table plus pinball machines and other arcade games. Change machine to play those quarter games. Just outside the rec room would be a miniature golf course and horseshoe pit. Sometimes shuffleboard. Heck, I remember a clay tennis court at a KOA not far from Asheville, North Carolina. The rec area was always a huge feature of KOA. Nobody was playing face tag with a smartphone in that era.

The report was that Jock shot pool at the KOA. As soon as I heard that I could immediately envision it. Not every KOA had a pool table. Some of the rec rooms were enclosed while others had the big brown roof but otherwise were separated from the main building and were open air. Ping pong tables could be outdoors in the unenclosed rec rooms. But when KOA had a pool table it would be indoors due to the felt. Those pool tables often were in a smaller recreational room in the same building as the main office, but just around the corner. That would make sense for a manager of the KOA to be hanging around at the office but then find time to shoot pool with one of the guests. Once you do it once and enjoy the company and competitive game, it happens again during the stay.

Meanwhile Jane could have no interest in the rec room and be back at the tent or cabin or trailer. That would be parallel to my mom. She would never go into the office during check in. She would almost never use the rec room, except once in a while to join a family game of ping pong or miniature golf. Normally other than walking back and forth to the bathroom building she wouldn't be visible at all. I guarantee one campground manager after another could not have described my mom or even known she existed, other than the number of people listed on our registration form.

Regardless, I'm not a huge believer in the KOA theory. My hunch is that they might be from the Pacific Northwest. That is supported by two connecting variables, the matchbook from a Grant's truck shop in the West and the mechanic who quickly came forward from one of those Grant's shops saying he remembered a couple who matched the description and that he worked on their vehicle, one with either Washington or Oregon plates.

I don't make that Pacific Northwest angle the favorite. I believe it is undervalued. It is difficult to characterize people from that region based on what they look like or sound like. That matchbook is a more concrete variable than impressions of heritage based on morgue photos.

@Awsi Dooger I appreciate your response and hope you don’t take offense to my reply...I had to giggle a little when reading your comment. You painted a very vivid image of the KOA. :D I guess I never really understood what a KOA was until now. I grew up in a small town with about 10 lakes within a hundred mile radius of us. So my family was at one of those lakes every weekend the weather allowed (and often weekends when the weather kept every sane person within the comfort and safety of their home :D). But the way you described the KOA and your experience made me think of those times! Makes more sense to me now!

FWIW, I agree with you about some of the details about this case. I do feel like the attention to a few of those details has been misplaced. The mechanic, for instance. Of course it’s east to say that now...I’m sure no one would have thought we’d be here now - a case unsolved and 2 unidentified people. JMO

Again, thank you for painting that picture for me!

Awsi, what would be the “favourite” for this case in your book? South America?

Also I know you are an odds guy, so this question is a little meta. Over time, do long shots become more likely in many cases? It seems to me like the harder a case is to solve, in general, the more likely something weird happened. Obviously things like police error will impact individual cases, so I speak in broad terms.

In my experience since I've been at WS, errors of all kinds (clerical, investigational, lost information, failures to follow up, etc.) are among the most common reason cases aren't solved. The biggest one is that the missing person isn't listed anywhere because family thought they were okay, police wouldn't take a report, report was lost, etc.

In my experience since I've been at WS, errors of all kinds (clerical, investigational, lost information, failures to follow up, etc.) are among the most common reason cases aren't solved. The biggest one is that the missing person isn't listed anywhere because family thought they were okay, police wouldn't take a report, report was lost, etc.
I feel like the latter that you mentioned may be the case with this one if it is eventually solved.... their families thought that couple moved away and were fine, living their own lives.

Regarding the victim's Bulova watch...I remember from TV commercials from my 1950's childhood, Bulova was considered on par with the Timex brand. Maybe a little pricier but not much. I'm thinking that perhaps no one can match this exact watch because it might have been a promotional giveaway at a racing event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member