TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like whoever it was parked in a place where they could watch the husband leave and move in immediately afterwards. There has to be more video.
Totally agree. There are plenty of small businesses on Kuykendahl, though I don't know this particular stretch, but this entire street goes (at least) from north of Houston to a block away from a well-traveled entrance to I-45, which runs between Dallas (and into Oklahoma) and Galveston (the Gulf of Mexico), and is nothing but small businesses like car lots, little and bigger stores, small buildings, you name it, and loads of places to sit in a lot watching for a car to exit the subdivision entrances that are all along the street. From I-45 you can get to every freeway that heads to Louisiana, Mexico, San Antonio, Austin, Waco, and anywhere else out of state, without any toll roads needed. Plenty of long, rambling ways to go towards hundreds of rural or large properties/homes with hidden storage for a car that are extremely close by.

What bothers me the most is that whoever did this had to have known she would be home from work that day, which narrows down the suspect pool significantly IMO. Knowing the truck was seen in the area the day before..they knew either directly or they were told by someone else.

I'm also curious about how LE handles cases like this in regards to Sergio and Liz's family and their safety. I would be terrified to even leave my house without knowing a motive, but if they somehow know Liz was the only target...something to think about.

[bbm]

how do we know that? do you have a link?

Could it be that the killer wore that long overcoat and boots to avoid blood spatter and the wig to prevent leaving any DNA evidence behind from falling hair strand .The shots were from very close range.
Maybe he/she got rid of them as soon as getting on the truck.

I just came across this case/thread today and read all the posts. I'm very shocked ten months later/almost 11 months later, there is no arrest, but hopeful they are narrowing in.

So the truck being seen in the neighborhood the night before....I'm curious if surveillance video shows it circling/prowling and then leaving the neighborhood or if it showed up late the night before and never left until the murder. Like did this person get there hours early and just wait in their car on a nearby street until it was "go time"?

I feel it was a targeted crime and can't help but feel the perp chose this morning because they knew of the sale and knew she'd be out setting up for it. I know they didn't hang signs til that morning and they only told close friends/family (I'm assuming that info came from her husband?), but really, there's no way of knowing for sure who exactly Liz told. She may have mentioned it to lots of people at work. She may have made mention of it in passing to the gas station clerk at the gas station she regularly visits or the grocery store she's a regular at (I'm just throwing out hypothetical examples). And if something like that happened, who knows who else was around who overheard. Of course, it may have happened even on a "regular" morning where she went to work and this was all just a coincidence, but knowing they have a Ring doorbell, I think the perp may have hoped to catch her farther out in the driveway, like what actually happened, and therefore wouldn't have to walk up to the door or very close to the doorbell. All MOO.

RSBM
So the truck being seen in the neighborhood the night before....I'm curious if surveillance video shows it circling/prowling and then leaving the neighborhood or if it showed up late the night before and never left until the murder. Like did this person get there hours early and just wait in their car on a nearby street until it was "go time"?
Sounds like are many homes/businesses with surveillance footage, surely police have been able to track more about where the vehicle came from and went, but they just won't reveal that at this stage.

That, and the reference to Texas Rangers, suggests to me the shooter was from out of town.

I totally agree that choosing the garage sale morning wasn't likely just a coincidence, it was too ideal: she would be at a predetermined time and place, in the dark, no one else around, and she was completely exposed, vulnerable, no where to run.

To me, motive is the thread to follow: who would care enough to make this happen, take this risk?

In terms of personality, IMO it was someone who thinks they've figured out how to outsmart police. Here's hoping they're wrong.

I know statistically in these instances, the husband is involved, and yes some things look bad for him (especially the timing of when he leaves and when the killer shows up), but I really don’t think he’s involved. If he were, I believe the police would have made a connection and he would have been arrested by now. I know we don’t know for sure, but as I’ve posted before, I think it’s a man in a woman’s costume. And if it is a man in a woman’s costume (or even a woman in a costume), there has to be a connection to their Star Wars group, a group whose members .. wait for it... dress up in highly detailed Star Wars costumes (duh). Could it be that simple? Maybe it’s not a Star Wars costume, but a different kind of costume to conceal the killer’s identity. Also, if the killer wanted Sergio dead too, they could have just shown up earlier to take them both out. I have a feeling Liz unintentionally set someone off within the Star Wars group, and this person hired someone to kill her. Instead of a note, the killer shows Liz a picture of the person she hurt in some way so they confirm Liz as a target, then kills Liz. It seemed pretty important to the person(s) that killed her that they showed & told Liz something (“This is what you get for ________”) before killing her.

I know statistically in these instances, the husband is involved, and yes some things look bad for him (especially the timing of when he leaves and when the killer shows up), but I really don’t think he’s involved. If he were, I believe the police would have made a connection and he would have been arrested by now. I know we don’t know for sure, but as I’ve posted before, I think it’s a man in a woman’s costume. And if it is a man in a woman’s costume (or even a woman in a costume), there has to be a connection to their Star Wars group, a group whose members .. wait for it... dress up in highly detailed Star Wars costumes (duh). Could it be that simple? Maybe it’s not a Star Wars costume, but a different kind of costume to conceal the killer’s identity. Also, if the killer wanted Sergio dead too, they could have just shown up earlier to take them both out. I have a feeling Liz unintentionally set someone off within the Star Wars group, and this person hired someone to kill her. Instead of a note, the killer shows Liz a picture of the person she hurt in some way so they confirm Liz as a target, then kills Liz. It seemed pretty important to the person(s) that killed her that they showed & told Liz something (“This is what you get for ________”) before killing her.
I don't know what they showed her, but I agree with you 100%. I've always thought it was a man and somehow associated with one of their Star Wars/Cosplay activities, and Sergio is not involved. Like you, I think she set someone off, and they exacted revenge. I can't figure out how they've not yet been caught.

I don't know what they showed her, but I agree with you 100%. I've always thought it was a man and somehow associated with one of their Star Wars/Cosplay activities, and Sergio is not involved. Like you, I think she set someone off, and they exacted revenge. I can't figure out how they've not yet been caught.
I don’t believe it...get this... no ads for the garage sale.... and I believe it was said there were no signs until the morning of the sale. So, someone knew the time the husband leaves for work- so she would be alone, the date and time of the yard sale, and that she would be setting up alone. My guess is that someone quite close to the victim either performed or paid someone to perform the murder. I’ll still stick with the husband being involved.
I believe that the Star Wars group was not involved, That (in my opinion), The man either purchased the disguise, or took various parts from family, etc.

I don’t believe it...get this... no ads for the garage sale.... and I believe it was said there were no signs until the morning of the sale. So, someone knew the time the husband leaves for work- so she would be alone, the date and time of the yard sale, and that she would be setting up alone. My guess is that someone quite close to the victim either performed or paid someone to perform the murder. I’ll still stick with the husband being involved.
I believe that the Star Wars group was not involved, That (in my opinion), The man either purchased the disguise, or took various parts from family, etc.

True about their inner circle only knowing about the garage sale and Liz’s day off. I wonder if the motive could be job-related..

I don’t believe it...get this... no ads for the garage sale.... and I believe it was said there were no signs until the morning of the sale.

Where was it reported that there were no ads for the garage sale, and who claimed that there were "no signs until the morning of the sale"? I don't recall seeing this info in any of the mainstream media news sources previously shared on this thread.

Where was it reported that there were no ads for the garage sale, and who claimed that there were "no signs until the morning of the sale"? I don't recall seeing this info in any of the mainstream media news sources previously shared on this thread.
I just did a google search and found this article stating the garage sale was not advertised prior to that morning. Texas Woman Killed While Setting Up a Garage Sale Beyond that, I live close enough to the address, that after the murder I looked on nextdoor to see if she had posted anything there advertising the sale and they had not, but there may have been other online sites she could've posted to. I keep hope alive that the murderer will be found and arrested, but it is really disheartening to see no real updates on this case. This seems to be premeditated murder, with help from somebody close to have provided so much specific info. We have police officers who live fairly close to that address. We have bus stops on that same street. So much risk. Even if it was someone who just knew the area well, how would they know that the husband would be leaving at that time and that she would happen to be outside alone at just that moment? How'd they know to park out of line-sight of their ring video? I also believe this person was wearing a disguise as others have mentioned. Most women around here don't wear trench coats or golashes on dry days.

I just did a google search and found this article stating the garage sale was not advertised prior to that morning. Texas Woman Killed While Setting Up a Garage Sale Beyond that, I live close enough to the address, that after the murder I looked on nextdoor to see if she had posted anything there advertising the sale and they had not, but there may have been other online sites she could've posted to.
Thanks so much for pointing me in the direction of the source, and for sharing your first-hand research about the garage sale! I definitely missed that detail when I read all the articles around the time the crime was committed, and it seems EXTREMELY relevant. In general, commenters here seem to agree--myself among them--that this resembles a targeted and pre-planned attack rather than a random crime of opportunity, and now that I realize the general public had only become aware that very morning that EB was having a garage sale, the chances seem very slim indeed that this was just a case of EB being in the "wrong place at the wrong time" (although, of course, she was in a completely reasonable place at a completely reasonable time but happened to encounter an armed and possibly-disguised/costumed psychopath).

IMO/MOO

Gray Hughes is doing a video on this case right now

I have watched this video so many times. I have slowed down the playback speed as well.

The killer looks to be wearing a cape or something worn over their shoulders. Seems to be holding it closed as he/she approaches Elizabeth. The left arm seems to come from underneath at 1:04:42.

To me I see a woman when the killer is approaching but when the shooting starts, especially during the final shot I see the killer as a man. The way the hair falls forward reminds me of a wig. The runaway also is a man to me.

If it was a cape or something worn over the shoulders, the gun in the right hand could have been concealed underneath until the killer started shooting. Also, if the garment is being held closed with the left hand up by the chest area it would account for what some see as breasts in the video.

I'm wondering if it could be someone her husband worked with. Someone had to know he would not be staying home and helping set up for the garage sale but actually going into work that day and at the usual time. I mean, I'm sure LE has checked into co-workers of both of them, etc., but maybe someone was giving a co-worker an alibi and covering for them? I'm wondering if any co-workers of the husband had that day as a scheduled day off or went into work at a later hour, etc. Or did Elizabeth share with her friends/co-workers that her husband would be going in?

I'm just wondering because when we have had garage sales on a Friday, my husband has also taken off of work that day because it's such a huge task to set up and tear down and it's helpful to have extra hands when it gets busy. Just sharing this to say I don't think it would be weird or unusual for a spouse to also stay home that day, so did someone know specifically he would be going to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419