CANADA Canada - Marshal Iwaasa, 26, Lethbridge, Alberta, burned truck found in B.C., 17 Nov 2019

It’s quite a long drive from Lethbridge to Pemberton. I have done that drive via Cranbrook, Osoyoos then on through Keremeos, Hope, Vancouver and up to Pemberton. As a previous poster pointed out, the most logical way to Pemberton is via the Fraser Valley and Vancouver. The other way to Pemberton would be from Penticton over to Lilooet and then down the Duffy Lake Road into Pemberton. I used to live in BC and know these routes well. No way that truck would make that journey without filling up once, never mind the driver needing washroom and food breaks.

I am of two minds about this case. I don’t understand why anyone would just leave smashed up phones outside the burned truck. Surely it would have been better to destroy these and laptop in the burning truck. It looks to me that whoever burned the truck did a pretty good job of it.

Which leaves me to believe that this is an unfortunate act of self harm, or an elaborate coverup. JMO

My thoughts are with the family.

Ok so maybe I wasn't fully awake re "can't and won't" regardless... NOBODY is coming forward, no friends, no roomates. No talk of a job, what he was doing in Calgary, because obviously not school. No gym buddies, no ex school mates. just family. It's weird. I'm sorry. Family might be tight lipped but I think they simply haven't got a clue.

The fact that he withdrew from SAIT without telling his family is troubling. He is at an age where mental health issues can come up. Or, maybe he has just lost his passion. I don't think this story has made it to national news, so it's unlikely that we'd here about family/friends talking to the media.

Could also go from Chilliwack to Agassiz to Harrison Hot Springs to the Duffy, but mostly locals know this, someone from Alberta may not.
It’s quite a long drive from Lethbridge to Pemberton. I have done that drive via Cranbrook, Osoyoos then on through Keremeos, Hope, Vancouver and up to Pemberton. As a previous poster pointed out, the most logical way to Pemberton is via the Fraser Valley and Vancouver. The other way to Pemberton would be from Penticton over to Lilooet and then down the Duffy Lake Road into Pemberton. I used to live in BC and know these routes well. No way that truck would make that journey without filling up once, never mind the driver needing washroom and food breaks.

I am of two minds about this case. I don’t understand why anyone would just leave smashed up phones outside the burned truck. Surely it would have been better to destroy these and laptop in the burning truck. It looks to me that whoever burned the truck did a pretty good job of it.

Which leaves me to believe that this is an unfortunate act of self harm, or an elaborate coverup. JMO

My thoughts are with the family.

Could also go from Chilliwack to Agassiz to Harrison Hot Springs to the Duffy, but mostly locals know this, someone from Alberta may not.
I lived there for 20+ years and didn’t know that you could access Duffy from Harrison until I read your post. I’ve driven to Pemberton from Lilooet, it’s remote but at the same time not that unknown to Canadians or tourists. I drove that route with relatives from Zagreb during the summer a few years ago and it was quite busy.

How ever that truck got to Pemberton, it would have had to have at least two stops.

Someone from Alberta could have family in various parts of Canada, and could have been in BC on vacation and knew the area?

It would be interesting to find out if there was any evidence of other vehicles being in the vicinity?

The RCMP would have a pretty good idea of what had happened I think.

I lived there for 20+ years and didn’t know that you could access Duffy from Harrison until I read your post. I’ve driven to Pemberton from Lilooet, it’s remote but at the same time not that unknown to Canadians or tourists. I drove that route with relatives from Zagreb during the summer a few years ago and it was quite busy.

How ever that truck got to Pemberton, it would have had to have at least two stops.

Someone from Alberta could have family in various parts of Canada, and could have been in BC on vacation and knew the area?

It would be interesting to find out if there was any evidence of other vehicles being in the vicinity?

The RCMP would have a pretty good idea of what had happened I think.

But the RCMP and Lethbridge Police have all been very tight-lipped and haven't released any statements at all. Very interesting...

But the RCMP and Lethbridge Police have all been very tight-lipped and haven't released any statements at all. Very interesting...
But as we’ve seen in many cases before, the police in many countries keep information released to the public to “need to know basis.” We’ve not heard from the Pemberton RCMP either. It kind of leads me to think they believe self-harm, or that there is a much bigger investigation going on that the public isn’t party to.

But as we’ve seen in many cases before, the police in many countries keep information released to the public to “need to know basis.” We’ve not heard from the Pemberton RCMP either. It kind of leads me to think they believe self-harm, or that there is a much bigger investigation going on that the public isn’t party to.
Canadian police don't generally say a lot in cases like this, and especially not in winter when the absolute last thing they want is to encourage people to go out searching on their own. It's far too dangerous!

Agreed. I grew up in BC, East Kootenay, and the winter there is unforgiving, as it is in Pemberton. So yes, very dangerous for the public to go out searching. It’s a pretty tragic situation I think. My heart goes out to the family. Canadian police IMO are great - very thorough and competent. So the fact that they haven’t released information is no big deal to me.

Do we know if all the clothing that was found was burnt? I go back and forth on whether the Marshall was with the truck or not. If some wasn't burnt, it could be a sign of paradoxical undressing.

Anyone ever heard of a case where someone burns their own car and not for identity concealment/faked death purposes? I just can't see why MI would burn his own car (and is it confirmed an accelerant was used?) and destroy all his things unless he had a serious mental break but with retained lucidity (enough to successfully conceal your tracks). Also, I feel the passport with ID ripped out is a big indicator of foul play, though I wonder why someone didn't just take it away with them? can't think why this would be MI's passport unless it was an expired one kept for sentimental purposes but he just hated how his picture looked or something...

Maybe this sort of thing only happens in movies, but let's say Marshall was kidnapped, might he surreptitiously toss his passports as clues, but tear out only one identifying page because it is easier to hide on his person?
speculation, imo.

It is driving me crazy too. The Facebook Group is useless for actually investigating/sleuthing, IMO. I'm sick of talking about gas station video footage. I want to know "Who Is Marshal Iwaasa?" - which the family won't answer, or doesn't really know.

Last edited:
Anyone ever heard of a case where someone burns their own car and not for identity concealment/faked death purposes? I just can't see why MI would burn his own car (and is it confirmed an accelerant was used?) and destroy all his things unless he had a serious mental break but with retained lucidity (enough to successfully conceal your tracks). Also, I feel the passport with ID ripped out is a big indicator of foul play, though I wonder why someone didn't just take it away with them? can't think why this would be MI's passport unless it was an expired one kept for sentimental purposes but he just hated how his picture looked or something...
Something to consider..
Has destroying all their worldly goods made these artists happy?
"So on 17 September 2006 I burnt the entire contents of my branded life. It was a good £20,000 worth of stuff – lots of clothing by Raf Simons, Vivienne Westwood, Gucci and Louis Vuitton; I was into all the big, ostentatious labels. There was also a Technics turntable, a Sharp LCD TV, a Dyson cleaner, Habitat furniture, numerous BlackBerrys and Nokia phones and loads more. "

Something to consider..
Has destroying all their worldly goods made these artists happy?
"So on 17 September 2006 I burnt the entire contents of my branded life. It was a good £20,000 worth of stuff – lots of clothing by Raf Simons, Vivienne Westwood, Gucci and Louis Vuitton; I was into all the big, ostentatious labels. There was also a Technics turntable, a Sharp LCD TV, a Dyson cleaner, Habitat furniture, numerous BlackBerrys and Nokia phones and loads more. "
true, this could be a getting rid of all possessions and starting a new life deal .. id still think if you're voluntarily absconding you'd want to keep your vehicle though o_O i'm a BC native and it's very forest dominated, cold and snowy currently, couldn't go far on foot, no hitchhiking reported... i'm still leaning towards foul play but if this was voluntary I don't have great hope in MI still being with us.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back