TX TX - Heidi Broussard, 33, Fnd Deceased, & Margo Carey, 2 weeks, Fnd Alive, Austin, 12 Dec 2019 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to a wake for a friend's son who was killed by his best friend= shot him twice in the head.

I have to say, the funeral director and make up artist did an amazing job, plus the funeral director insisted that if the family wanted an open casket it was fine, but that there must be a veil around the top of it to ward off the shock. With this veil and the perfect lighting that the funeral director placed just so, it looked like he was sleeping in a semi dark room.

Respectfully to those posting about funerals of their loved ones etc and descriptions - It's creating PTSD of sorts for me and perhaps others who friends/family that haved died of traumatic reasons, especially guns and suicides. Can we please move on. It's not this case, and is really not good for me/others. Especially during the holiday season. Please, understand?

Was looking up the judge on the case docket, he is green! And temporary at this time MOO. I'm sure that this will be a reason for anything going forward that he will be in the extreme as to buttoning it up so no appeals! Egads, if a high profile case was heard by a green judge and this was their first case! But it will be years, so perhaps he will have a replacement or more experience?

Governor Abbott Appoints Puryear To 460th Judicial District Court | Office of the Texas Governor | Greg Abbott

November 7, 2019 | Austin, Texas | Appointment

Governor Greg Abbott has appointed Geoffrey Puryear to the 460th Judicial District Court in Travis County for a term set to expire on December 31, 2020, or until his successor shall be duly elected and qualified.
Oh God, I see it all, my entire future millions of years waiting for this to bear fruit or even a poison chalice!

Either where she was abducted or where she was found.

This verbiage below is why I ask. It's all so clear as mud. I'm only asking about a potential murder charge for MF, not kidnapping. Every felony case in Texas must have a grand jury b4 charges can be brought, which also begs the jurisdiction question for me.

"Venue changes can also happen when the current venue is simply the wrong one. For instance, if the crime occurred in County X, and the case is currently in County Y, County Y most likely lacks jurisdiction. If so, it may have to transfer the case to County X."

It's easy to see why attorneys make the big bucks

Since this will be a capital murder case, they need EVERYTHING to be perfect. It can take some time and if the info is sealed from public eye, we won't know much until they get everything in order. I can almost guarantee the investigators are making sure the prosecution has all they need and more to bring a swift and solid end to this.
makes perfect sense!

Lol this woman is something else.

First of all, she isn't innocent, she is PRESUMED innocent until proven guilty BRD.

Secondly, I know a lot of defense attorneys, and I've never heard one proclaim to be proud to represent a best friend murdering baby stealer. She's going to have to eat her words. She should really keep quiet.

And yes, I know I'm biased.
I agree - it's inappropriately gushy and strange. Makes me uncomfortable.

Agree with the recommendation of KVUE - they are quite good. (Also the only station that does local, not aggregated allergy sampling in Austin - allergy capital of the world) - they have produced some of Austin's most beloved reporter careers and lots of long term journalists.

This verbiage below is why I ask. It's all so clear as mud. I'm only asking about a potential murder charge for MF, not kidnapping. Every felony case in Texas must have a grand jury b4 charges can be brought, which also begs the jurisdiction question for me.

"Venue changes can also happen when the current venue is simply the wrong one. For instance, if the crime occurred in County X, and the case is currently in County Y, County Y most likely lacks jurisdiction. If so, it may have to transfer the case to County X."

It's easy to see why attorneys make the big bucks
Yes! And in this case we have county X, Y, and Z and Back to A again

Love their reporting so far at KVUE in following the case so far. As with all new cases, I have tried to find just ONE (two if bigggg market) local channel who

1) doesn't jump the gun with misinformation, yet is fast, who

2) doesn't do almost all their articles by quoting other media sources within the entirety of their reporting, (this is such poor journalism MOO, especially when they aren't owned by the same media company) and

3) doesn't do click bait or information that just must be challenged by an email or such to *gently persuade with logic* for them to do a correction (after they have had the report out for hours that are wrong/misleading MOO/grrrrr.)

4) Actually does investigation/runs down stories

5) Writing is clear and understandable

I've culled and found ONLY one so far that meet that criteria. Others may have differing opinions.

I'm putting KVUE on the top of my list of channels to follow for this case as a go to, and their reporters. Perhaps they'll have a social media savvy person come out like we had with Sam Kraemer? (who now has gotten a new job in the last week and is moving back home, YEAH!)

Info on them for those that do alerts or follows - KVUE News (@KVUE) | Twitter is a twitter, KVUE is their facebook , and Jeff Bell and Rebecca Flores and Drew Knight have been their reporters.

Who knows which will be our next Sam Kraemer?
I think local reporters are always going to give the best information just by virtue of being there. An "investgative reporter" who's never been anywhere near the case location really needs to go there or cover something else. Police probably aren't going to risk giving tips on a sealed case in an ongoing investigation to a remote reporter they don't have a trusted relationship with. LE have heavy consequences to pay if they are caught leaking.

Respectfully to those posting about funerals of their loved ones etc and descriptions - It's creating PTSD of sorts for me and perhaps others who friends/family that haved died of traumatic reasons, especially guns and suicides. Can we please move on. It's not this case, and is really not good for me/others. Especially during the holiday season. Please, understand?
I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to trigger any bad memories. That wasn’t very thoughtful of me. FWIW I have had suicides in my family during the holidays as well. Wasn’t thinking... :(

Yes. I don't see a huge traffic jam around the bail bonds for her though. There are exceptions, noted here. Since the documents are sealed, who knows if any apply?

CODE OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE CHAPTER 17. BAIL

I think we can rule any parent/s off the list of potentials that might bail her. Levity aside, I think she might as well get settled in for the long haul.

Yes. I found the TX code for a pending death cert.

Pending Death Certificate
You Are Entitled to a Pending Death Certificate Within 10 Days of Death.

A final death certificate may take ninety days to obtain if the medical examiner is investigating the death of your friend or relative. However, under Section 193.003 of the Texas Health and Safety Code, the Funeral Director must give you a death certificate with the cause and manner of death marked "pending." This is called a "pending death certificate." It is an "official" death certificate.

Many of the things you need to do after a death can be done with a pending death certificate.

• You can open probate in Travis County with a pending death certificate.
  • You can apply for the Social Security death benefit with a pending death certificate.
  • Major banks will accept a pending death certificate if you have the necessary other paperwork to access funds.
  • Insurance companies may accept pending death certificates to pay out proceeds to beneficiaries.
Pending Death Certificate

I think it said visitation, not viewing.

I would hope that they aren't having a viewing since they couldn't VISUALLY ID the "body in the trunk" as Heidi. That's why they did the DNA.
As for the DOD on the Obit, they have the date that she was found. The date that it was made concrete proof to the family that they had lost Heidi. They will get the "official" DOD once the autopsy and toxicology reports are released and they have the exact DOD, but currently to release that information would be giving to much information out to the public. IF they were to put the REAL date on the cert and obit then it would cause a LOT of details to come out about the case that they don't want out yet.
I keep hearing that there has been a 2nd person taken into custody for this and yet there isn't anything being reported, there is only the report of the friend.
They are keeping everything close to the vest and that could be a good thing. I only hope that in court things go well. I have heard that there is video evidence so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

The Harris County Texas Jail has between 8500 and 8700 inmates at any given time. It is one of the largest jails in the country. There are hundreds of inmates booked in each day and hundreds released.
Yeesh. That’s A LOT of inmates and definitely explains why they don’t provide a log of daily bookings.

Not true. I lost my son. His body was released to us the following day, after the autopsy. Service and cremation was a week after his death. The following week we received a "preliminary" death certificate which was not fully completed. It was a month or so before we received the final death certificate that was filed with the county/state.

It can take a few weeks to a couple of months to get toxicology results, and until the toxicology results are in they can't complete the autopsy report, and the coroner can't sign the death certificate (with cause and manner of death) until the autopsy report is complete.

ETA - our experience was that no one would accept the preliminary/pending death certificate. Everyone we had to present one to wanted the final.

You had to get some sort of legal document to have the body release to the funeral home. The Coroner or a Physician has to signed for a death certificate. Many bodies are not release until after an autopsy. Either, Law Enforcement, a Judge or a Physician can order an autopsy for a suspicious death.

There are legal procedures, once a person is declared decease. Funeral Homes for example, are licensed by the State, and cannot do anything without approval from State Authorities, from cremation to moving a deceased person for cremation or burial.

You had to get some sort of legal document to have the body release to the funeral home. The Coroner or a Physician has to signed for a death certificate. Many bodies are not release until after an autopsy. Either, Law Enforcement, a Judge or a Physician can order an autopsy for a suspicious death.

There are legal procedures, once a person is declared decease. Funeral Homes for example, are licensed by the State, and cannot do anything without approval from State Authorities, from cremation to moving a deceased person for cremation or burial.

this has a lot of info, the med examiners’-coroners’ handbook

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/misc/hb_me.pdf

Perhaps is was obvious from the autopsy that strangulation WAS the cause of death, regardless of whether or not she was drugged first. Just a thought.

There are obvious signs that strangulation is the caused of death rather than a drug overdose. Mainly the hemorrhage of the capillaries in the eyelids which causes petechiae, or specks on the skin on the eyelids. This is cause by the increase blood pressure during strangulation. The Autopsy report, may show, if Heidi Broussard was heavily drugged, that either a drug overdose or strangulation could had cause her death, but if the authorities state she died of strangulation, than they have signs of eyelid hemorrhages to show death by strangulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anniegirl401