GUILTY NY - Tessa Majors, 18, Barnard College student, fatally stabbed, Manhattan, 11 Dec 2019 *13yo arrest

I am not sure why confession of an accomplice is not enough. Plenty of people have been convicted on that.

Additionally, I don't believe NY State Law permits that, but someone with legal expertise might step in to clarify as I am unsure:

<snip, BBM>

S 60.22 Rules of evidence; corroboration of accomplice testimony.
1. A defendant may not be convicted of any offense upon the testimony
of an accomplice unsupported by corroborative evidence tending to
connect the defendant with the commission of such offense.

2. An "accomplice" means a witness in a criminal action who,
according to evidence adduced in such action, may reasonably be
considered to have participated in:
(a) The offense charged; or
(b) An offense based upon the same or some of the same facts or
conduct which constitute the offense charged.
3. A witness who is an accomplice as defined in subdivision two is no
less such because a prosecution or conviction of himself would be barred
or precluded by some defense or exemption, such as infancy, immunity or
previous prosecution, amounting to a collateral impediment to such a
prosecution or conviction, not affecting the conclusion that such
witness engaged in the conduct constituting the offense with the mental
state required for the commission thereof.

Article 60 | NYS Criminal Procedure Law | Rules of Evidence

In low-income housing or gangs (not assuming he is from either, but there are a lot near the park) he might be staying or hiding with people covering for him. Does anyone know if the multiple stab wounds inflicted on the victim is true? if so, then why are some people giving a 13 such slack?

Interesting questions -- hoping we'll hear some facts soon, but I'm not betting on it...
And then there's this:

Welcome to Websleuths,
SilverDreams !!

If they have no evidence on him....
What it looks like is that the city doesn't want another Central park 5. And get sued for falsely holding/ charging these youths.
The Major's family must feel like they won't ever get any justice.
Sorry if I'm angry for them but I am.

Even if proven guilty, a 14 or even 15 year old wouldn't be held past their 18th birthdays.
Maybe a few years longer ?

Possibly a rehabilitation (i.e., possibly counseling with freedom to come and go as they please) program set up for them after release ?

How many people advocating for criminal youth and rehabilitation would want them living in their homes ?
Yes, the answer is zero. Imo.

The NYPD seem to be largely ineffective and one has to wonder what has changed ?
It's as if criminals don't fear breaking the law.
And families or friends aren't being penalized for hiding criminals who are teens.
Where or with whom was this 14 hiding out ?

Based on the way things have gone so far I'll be very surprised if justice is done for Tessa Majors and her family.

Poor Tessa is dead and in the ground and the villains roam free.
bbm
Their families and friends are probably hiding them.
Apparently there's no consequences for concealing criminals who are under age.
Just like this 14 year old; when he was found-- no family or friends were questioned and asked why they hid them.
And then he was allowed to leave.

Tessas' family have to be so upset.
Who can blame them ?

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip: quoted post was removed>
Sad, but true. I saw several similar reports in the MSM.

Today NBC News:
"Barnard College freshman Tessa Majors was stabbed multiple times in the face and body by unknown attackers at Morningside Park on Wednesday night and was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital, police said."
Stabbing death of 18-year-old student rattles college community

The Daily Beast:
"She was found staggering with stab wounds to her face and body and pronounced dead after being rushed to a hospital."
Second Suspect Arrested in Murder of Barnard College Freshman Tessa Majors

Fox News:
"The student had lacerations on her face and several stab wounds on her body, according to Lewis, who said she administered CPR at the scene and in the ambulance, but to no avail."
NYPD releases photos of suspect in stabbing of Barnard student Tessa Majors

Last edited by a moderator:
Tessa Majors Killing: Focus Turns to DNA Evidence
Investigators hope to link DNA detected on the clothes worn by Ms. Majors, a Barnard student, to the three teenage suspects.

<snip> An official with knowledge of the investigation said the police were banking on pending DNA results they hoped would allow prosecutors to charge all three of the minors suspected of attacking Ms. Majors on Dec. 11 in Morningside Park, near the Columbia University campus.

Investigators have tested Ms. Majors’s mouth and the clothes she was wearing the night she was killed, as well as pieces of clothing they managed to recover from the suspects, who are ages 13 and 14, said an official who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

I wonder if the info published in the NYT article (linked above) indicates that in lieu of being able to obtain a warrant to collect DNA swabs from the teen suspects, investigators were permitted to collect some of their clothing in an effort to link them to TM's attack and murder.

I wonder if the info published in the NYT article (linked above) indicates that in lieu of being able to obtain a warrant to collect DNA swabs from the teen suspects, investigators were permitted to collect some of their clothing in an effort to link them to TM's attack and murder.
I thought an article posted earlier stated that they did swab the 14 year old before releasing him to his lawyers.

Person wanted in connection to Barnard College student Tessa Majors' murder located by police

From this article:

Police officials tell ABC News the individual was found Thursday morning in the Bronx. He was tracked down through the use of electronic surveillance and was brought in, photographed, fingerprinted and a DNA sample was taken, according to police officials.

Oh, I see, Happy. TY Here as well:

<snip> Detectives apprehended the teen before 8 a.m. in the Bronx and took him to the 26th Precinct station house in Harlem, where they executed a search warrant and swabbed a DNA sample from the inside of his cheek, sources familiar with the investigation said.

Cops hope to match the teen’s DNA to blood found at the scene of the crime or to genetic material recovered from Majors’ teeth after she bit one of her assailants, a source familiar with the case said.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/26/suspect-in-tessa-majors-murder-released-without-charges/

I thought an article posted earlier stated that they did swab the 14 year old before releasing him to his lawyers.

Wonder what the results were with DNA testing of the first 14 yo who was brought in & released earlier.

Perhaps, inconclusive and undergoing further testing.

Yes

I wonder that as well. I also wonder how long this type of DNA testing takes.

3 - 7 days

NYTimes updated its article:

<snip>

The New York Police Department’s chief of detectives, Rodney Harrison, said on Friday that a Manhattan judge had issued an order to obtain forensic evidence from the 14-year-old who was detained on Thursday. He would not say whether that evidence would include a DNA sample.

Chief Harrison said he expected to get results from the forensic evidence testing in three to seven days. Investigators are monitoring the teenagers, he added.

Last edited:
ABC7/Eyewitness News article has been updated as well:

<snip, BBM> MORNINGSIDE HEIGHTS, Manhattan (WABC) -- The focus of the investigation into the murder of Barnard College student Tessa Majors has turned to DNA swabs recovered from the two 14-year-olds who were questioned before they were released, officials said Friday.

<snip> Harrison said the NYPD believes those eventually charged in the killing will be prosecuted as adults by the Manhattan District Attorney's Office, and not go through family court.

A third teen, a 13-year-old, was previously charged in family court and remains in custody.

The 14-year-old boy picked up yesterday, who Harrison referred to as a "person of interest" in the death, appeared to have had an injury on his hand, a mark consistent with a bite.

DNA may be key evidence in Barnard College student Tessa Majors' murder

I would have expected the teen who held TM in a chokehold was bitten by her, but doesn't appear that way.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back