HI HI - Benjamin "Benny" Rapoza, 6, autistic, non-verbal, Hilo, 20 Dec 2019

"Dozens of people wept and prayed together at a home in Keaukaha, pleading to God for the safe return of 6-year-old Benny Boy Rapoza.

On Friday afternoon, the group joined in a prayer circle with Benny Boy’s family at the oceanfront property where the child was last seen just over a week ago. After the prayer, people were encouraged to walk around the area and say their own prayer for Benny Boy.

Benny Boy was last seen on his birthday at the Keaukaha residence.

Decker, of Ainaloa, was working her shift at Sack N Save when Benny Boy disappeared. Decker said the family is usually never in the Keaukaha area, but she decided to do something different this year and take her family to her boyfriend’s house to celebrate Benny Boy and his twin sister’s birthday.

“Before I left for work I held him a little longer and told him: ‘love you so much birthday boy,’” Decker recalls. “I keep reliving it.”

https://bigislandnow.com/2019/12/28/community-prays-for-benny-boys-safe-return/

I was going to say the same @MsFacetious I did not know Benny has a twin sister and this took place on his birthday.

Last edited:
UPDATE for Dec. 28, 2019 at 8:30am

Search efforts continue and we are still seeking volunteers who would like to participate in the search to please do so.

We have created a go fund me page for those who would like to make a donation to Bennys family to help cover costs of resources for the ongoing search, please click on the link below.

We will provide an update when more information becomes available.

Mahalo

Find Benjamin Rapoza

From article posted by Cass523

"Decker (Benny's mother) explained a police dog tracked Benny Boy’s scent to the shoreline early on in the search. However, like her daughter, she is having a hard time believing he is in the water.

“I want him to be found,” Decker said. “I want him to be alive. I don’t want them to pull him out of the ocean.”

https://bigislandnow.com/2019/12/28/community-prays-for-benny-boys-safe-return/

I had read about the tracking dog earlier on a local facebook page but didn't want to post it without verification. I think that's why officials have been focusing on the ocean. It's the explanation that makes the most sense to me.

UPDATE for Dec. 29 at 8:30am

Search efforts for Benny continues with no signs or leads of him yet. Volunteers may continue to join the search at the hub at 2135 Kalanianaole Ave. Volunteers have been assisting with searches on foot, in the water, posting flyers throughout the island and so on.

We are asking for any information that would help aid in the search or the safe return of Benny to his family. Any individual(s) with information leading to the return of Benny may be eligible for an REWARD.

Their has also been a gofund me page created to help assist the family with the rising costs of search & rescue and volunteer resources.

We will provide more updates as information becomes available.

Come home Benny!

Find Benjamin Rapoza

There's a few things that I'd like to add to this thread. This is my first post here, so please bare with me. The mother of Benjamin was not home at the time, and also, the boyfriend of Benjamin was putting away groceries. During this time, Benjamin slipped away.
On the day of Ben wandering away, the surf was so high that a surfing competition had to be cancelled.
I know that we all want to think of the best in this situation, but I doubt that he will be found alive. Depending on where they live, it might be very very isolated. I don't think him being snatched is a possibility. I am hoping that he will be alive, but I won't be surprised.
Big Island mother pleads for help in 6-year-old son’s disappearance

IMO I followed this case early on & felt that it didn't get as much media attention locally as you would think it would. Maybe that was just my own impression, but I'm even struck here with it only being the first thread & he's been missing almost 2 months.

Prayers for Benny and his family.

MAR 9, 2020
Case of missing Hilo boy to be featured on national investigative series

YABANINEBJEWVKZ4WXUWRKZZ6M.jpg

[...]

... Now, his family is getting help from crime series called “In Pursuit with John Walsh.”

The show follows Walsh, the former host of “America’s Most Wanted,” as he tries to track down missing children and criminals on the run.

The episode about Benny will air on the Discovery Channel on Wednesday. It aims to bring attention to his case and potentially find the missing boy.

[...]

The show asks anyone with information about Benny to reach out to them at InPursuit.com. Anonymous tips are welcome.

A spokesperson for the Hawaii Police Department said the search for Benny is ongoing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back