OH OH - Harley Dilly, 14, enroute to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could breaking his phone and wanting to stay home that day possibly mean he was threatened or overwhelmed by interactions that occurred online? I am very worried he ended up with an online enemy/admirer that is a psychopath.. :(

Could breaking his phone and wanting to stay home that day possibly mean he was threatened or overwhelmed by interactions that occurred online? I am very worried he ended up with an online enemy/admirer that is a psychopath.. :(
It’s possible of course, but I think it’s highly unlikely.

He put himself out there, and I don’t doubt that he probably had some creepy interactions with people.

But that sort of communication tends to leave a trail, and I think law enforcement would have figured that out by now.

Right now, I think he was upset and angry, and decided to leave on his own volition. What happened in the days since, is an unanswered and concerning open question.

Had he been older, I’d hold out far more hope that he was staying away willingly. He’s young, lacks sophistication, and everyone is looking for him.

He should have surfaced by now.

No matter the circumstances though, this looks all sorts of bad.

His SM account is without a doubt unbelievable for his age. The post on Feb 18, 2019 "Playing Xbox With A Friend" was streamed live. He moves the camera angle in hour 5 when his mom comes home. There are 2 people in the chat. He is taking to someone named James and he notices they are not alone. But before he realizes someone else is in the chat, he moons the camera. This is a 7 plus hour long video. You can hear some interaction between him and his mom after hour 5. He is definitely literally over exposing himself on live SM. When I originally saw this post, it had less than 20 views. It has now grown to over 245. With all the media coverage on this kid and all the posts about his SM, if he didnt have a stalker before all this publicity on this case, when he does come back he is going to be further exposed and at risk. I hope LE has a game plan for this kid and family to protect him. Maybe they should go ahead and take down his videos since he is being blasted on every SM site now. JMO

I have noticed the name "James" pop up a few times. HD mentioned him in videos and His Mother has even referred to a James in a plea.

Last edited:
It’s possible of course, but I think it’s highly unlikely.

He put himself out there, and I don’t doubt that he probably had some creepy interactions with people.

But that sort of communication tends to leave a trail, and I think law enforcement would have figured that out by now.

Right now, I think he was upset and angry, and decided to leave on his own volition. What happened in the days since, is an unanswered and concerning open question.

Had he been older, I’d hold out far more hope that he was staying away willingly. He’s young, lacks sophistication, and everyone is looking for him.

He should have surfaced by now.

No matter the circumstances though, this looks all sorts of bad.

BBM:

This is my biggest concern right now.

No sightings.

One of the things I'm struggling to understand is the delay in reporting him missing.

LE indicated HD has stayed away overnight before, but didn't his parents know where he was on those occasions?

Did or didn't his parents call the friends he had stayed with previously to make sure he was at least safely accounted for that Friday night?

If they didn't make any attempt to determine his whereabouts whatsoever that Friday, that ain't good.

If they did try to track him down, they would have been unsuccessful, which presumably would have set off warning bells for his parents....right?

What parents wouldn't contact the police right away, in those circumstances, i.e., child never showed up home from school and he isn't at the home of any friends/relatives?

The delay in reporting him missing is baffling.
The more I think about it, the uneasier I become.

Mainly because I can't imagine parents not at least phoning around to determine the whereabouts of their 14-year-old who never returned home from school.

I really do hope LE has definitively confirmed the footage on Friday morning is him.
That image appears to be incredibly grain
y.

JMO.
BBM
Totally agree with you here, especially about the CCTV.

If that’s the only camera that caught HD, but no others did and there are no eyewitnesses to put him on the route on Fri morning, then it’s imperative to clarify that thats him.

Otherwise there is no evidence to suggest what he did Fri morning (or even from Thurs really if looking for evidence independent from the family)

JMHO MOO

This is really scary. I gasped at that video of him in the bathtub. He could've EASILY attracted the wrong person. :( I really feel for Harley and I pray he's ok. This story hits home for me. My mom wasn't very attentive unless she was disciplining me, and I spent a lot of time online as a kid because I was lonely, and it seems the same for Harley.

Last edited:
BBM:

This is my biggest concern right now.

No sightings.

BBM
Totally agree with you here, especially about the CCTV.

If that’s the only camera that caught HD, but no others did and there are no eyewitnesses to put him on the route on Fri morning, then it’s imperative to clarify that thats him.

Otherwise there is no evidence to suggest what he did Fri morning (or even from Thurs really if looking for evidence independent from the family)

JMHO MOO

Right, no sightings whatsoever, on a Friday morning when you would think other kids would also be on their way to the school, and people up leaving for work, taking the pups out to pee, etc. I believe it is only a 3-4 block walk to school but still, you would think someone would have seen him. I hate to say this but something is just off about this case! IMO!

Right, no sightings whatsoever, on a Friday morning when you would think other kids would also be on their way to the school, and people up leaving for work, taking the pups out to pee, etc. I believe it is only a 3-4 block walk to school but still, you would think someone would have seen him. I hate to say this but something is just off about this case! IMO!
Couldn’t have said it better myself. JMO

I want to believe that Harley is resourceful and planned this like SP did.
That he just decided he was done dealing with the issues he had in his life.
That he wanted to start over somewhere else with new people.

I find we often end up underestimating these kids and then they surprise us.
SP escaped and saved her siblings. The Turpin kids. Jayme. Countless others.
That's why I would like LE to put out a different kind of statement to Harley. So he feels that he can contact them to let them know he is safe... but also explain why he left. So resources aren't being used to look for him, but he isn't put back into the same situation.

WTVG reported that authorities declined to reveal whether Dilly was being bullied at school, or if he was diagnosed with any mental or behavioral issues.

---------------------------------------------------------

Hickman said police have been called to Dilly’s home in the past but declined to disclose additional details.

---------------------------------------------------------

The police chief advised against approaching Dilly if he is spotted, as the teen”does not warm up to people” easily.

MISSING: Teen boy still unheard from days after vanishing while walking to school

That's why I would like LE to put out a different kind of statement to Harley. So he feels that he can contact them to let them know he is safe... but also explain why he left. So resources aren't being used to look for him, but he isn't put back into the same situation.

Absolutely!!! I really think in this particular case it is extremely important for Harley to know that he has other options besides going back home or going to a "detention home" which he clearly greatly feared. All one needs to do is read his mother's recent social media posts and it becomes very obvious what at least part of the problem at home was. And that's all I can say about that without probably getting a time out. I will add, however, that if Harley is ok and is found, if the plan is to send him back home, I really hope that someone recognizes the issues with his mother and she is offered mental health support and LOTS of counseling. As well as for Harley too of course, whatever he needs. It's been 10 days, where could he be? It was cold the morning he left, the high in Port Clinton was 34 that day, where could he have gone close by to warm up if he never went back home? A donut shop? Convenience store? Surely he didn't hide behind bushes and shiver in the cold all day! Why didn't someone see him somewhere?

All great questions! If I understand the timeline correctly, he was last seen by a NON-family member (he was at a friend's house) on Thursday 12/19 at about 7 pm. Last seen by family the morning of Friday 12/20 at about 7 am leaving for school. Possibly captured on surveillance that morning walking to school but this hasn't been confirmed. No other known sightings or communication from him since. Was reported missing by family on Saturday at about 11:30 pm. Does anyone know when his last social media activity was?

We have been told that Harley left the house that morning without his cell phone because it had recently broken. I thought I read somewhere that he had an iPad or Chromebook or something of that sort that was issued to him by the school? I'm sure LE has accounted for that and checked it. I'm trying to imagine where he would go if he wasn't able to stay home and didn't want to go to school, I imagine he might try to gain access to his social media somehow. Was there a public area near his home where he might have tried to do this? A library maybe? I'm sure family has accounted for all devices that were in the home in case he snuck one out of the house with him, or at least I hope they have. I'm sure LE have already looked into all this. And I'm babbling lol I just wish we could help more somehow.

Harley states in one of his YouTube videos that he’s banned from the library for life. He doesn’t say why but explains he cant do Roblox anymore because of it. I believe it was titled “Bad News” (though I watched quite a few) On the older channel.

Last online activity I can find was 12-14 on Discord. A post about Madden football. I do know his most recent You Tube videos have been removed. Not sure on the date with those.

Im not sure how Port Clinton handles the chrome books but it would be very unlikely Harley used that to access Discord. We are on a similar chrome book program in a nearby district and Discord is blocked on it (it’s known to be problematic for many reasons). In general, the school issued chrome books are pretty locked down as far as what they can or cannot access. They don’t have social media capabilities or gaming. It’s meant to be used for educational things. Email through Gmail account is allowed bc Google has programs for students that officals have control and access to (G Suite for Educators). I’d assume LE has all his chrome book activity already because of this.

Harley likely had his phone or another device on 12-14.

Last edited:
Harley states in one of his YouTube videos that he’s banned from the library for life. He doesn’t say why but explains he cant do Roblox anymore because of it. I believe it was titled “Bad News” (though I watched quite a few) On the older channel.

Last online activity I can find was 12-14 on Discord. A post about Madden football. I do know his most recent You Tube videos have been removed. Not sure on the date with those.

Im not sure how Port Clinton handles the chrome books but it would be very unlikely Harley used that to access Discord. We are on a similar chrome book program in a nearby district and Discord is blocked on it (it’s known to be problematic for many reasons). In general, the school issued chrome books are pretty locked down as far as what they can or cannot access. They don’t have social media capabilities or gaming. It’s meant to be used for educational things.

So Harley likely had his phone or another device on 12-14.

Thank you for the last online activity information! It seemed that Harley depended on his social media for socialization not to mention self-esteem, if he was completely cut off from all of it that might have been a trigger for him to run away, if he did run away that is. That is bizarre re: banned from the library for life. I'm assuming he meant the public library and not school library.

Thank you for the last online activity information! It seemed that Harley depended on his social media for socialization not to mention self-esteem, if he was completely cut off from all of it that might have been a trigger for him to run away, if he did run away that is. That is bizarre re: banned from the library for life. I'm assuming he meant the public library and not school library.

I agree it might have been causing turmoil to not be able to get online.

I do think it means “ran away with someone he met on line” can be lowered on the list of likely possibility since he wasn’t online / able to communicate with someone he may have met and been planning to runaway with.

It increases the ossibility of someone noticing he was missing from online and coming to find him though. :(

Port Clinton residents optimistic, confident Harley Dilly will return home

PORT CLINTON, Ohio — The race against time continues and the cash reward is growing for anyone with information that could bring Harley Dilly home.

A candlelight vigil was held Sunday in Port Clinton where family, friends and neighbors pleaded for the 14-year-old’s safety.

“You don’t know how it’s tearing us up,” Harley’s grandfather said. “It can happen to anybody’s child.”

He struggled to find words through tears after his grandson’s disappearance 10 days ago.

“My grandson had issues and he wasn’t a perfect boy, but he was a good boy,” he added. “And he loved his mother and he loved his family.”

One Port Clinton pastor advised neighbors to ignore hearsay on social media.

“The goal that is before us and that is to bring Harley home,” Tony Calloway said. “Without question, without speculation, without rumors and gossip.”

As the search for Harley gains momentum and national attention, many questions remain unanswered.

“It’s been very difficult because nobody knows what happened,” Laurie Basden said. “There’s a lot of ‘What ifs? What happened? Was he abducted? Was he not?’ Let’s get out here and let’s find out what happened to him.”

Harley’s mother Heather Dilly, who has chosen not to give on-camera media interviews since her son’s disappearance, published an emotional Facebook post.

More than a week after he disappeared, the community remains optimistic Harley is still alive.

“As we light these candles we hope that Harley sees us,” Anton Jackson said. “That he hears us and that he knows that he has a safe place to return to.”

There is a $7,000 reward for information leading to Harley’s return home.

If you have any information, please contact the Port Clinton Police Department at 419-734-3121.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks