Identified! TX - Springtown, AdmixMale Skeletal 299UMTX, 15-25, off Hwy 51, Oct'85 - William Arthur Fiegener

Charley Project has a new listing for a teenaged male missing in 1981 who doesn't appear anywhere else.

Donald Ferry Shafer

shafer_donald3.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/shafer_donald.html

He seems a reasonable possible for this John Doe, and he resembles the recon.

shafer_donald3.jpg
299UMTX1.jpg

There's no height info on the John Doe to compare, and I wonder what they base the possible black ancestry on.

cache.php

It’s been nearly 33 years since the skeletal remains of a young person, possibly a teen, were found north of Weatherford but investigators still don’t know his name.

The Parker County Sheriff’s Office and Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office are asking for the public’s help in identifying John Doe, found Oct. 27, 1985, on a ranch about 3 miles south of Springtown.
The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children partnered with Parabon to create a new color 3D facial reconstruction.
The NCMEC forensic artist created the picture using a CT scan and phenotypic traits from Parabon’s DNA analysis, according to NCMEC.
Because a 1984 coin was found with the remains, the young man is believed to have disappeared in 1984 or 1985.
He is believed to have been between the ages of 14 and 21 years old.
Parabon Nanolabs performed DNA phenotyping and found that John Doe is Caucasian with a fair or very fair skin tone, brown or hazel eyes and brown hair.
[FONT=&amp]A white, fleece, Union Bay brand jacket; a size small, gray, cotton Raphael brand jacket; a size small, dark gray, cotton-blend, Gimmick brand jacket; size 29x32 Guess brand jeans with leather trim; and size 32-34 Jockey brand underwear were found with the skeletal remains. [/FONT]
http://www.weatherforddemocrat.com/...cle_e37c8868-5559-5891-9333-4bf503880718.html

Charley Project has a new listing for a teenaged male missing in 1981 who doesn't appear anywhere else.

Donald Ferry Shafer

cache.php

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/shafer_donald.html

He seems a reasonable possible for this John Doe, and he resembles the recon.

cache.php
cache.php

There's no height info on the John Doe to compare, and I wonder what they base the possible black ancestry on.

Here's a thread for Donald Shafer: https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...ckson-City-6-Mar-1981&p=14095880#post14095880
That middle picture of him resembles the new Parabon sketch, IMO.
cache.php

The few references I can find online that refer to a William Arthur Fiegener of that age put him in California--I wonder how he wound up in Texas? He was convicted of drunk driving in Newhall Municipal Court (Santa Clarita) in December 1981, which listed him as living in Sepulveda. Sepulveda is now known as North Hills and became part of the city of Los Angeles in the 1990s.

PCSO investigators solve 1980s cold case

Murder suspect died in prison last year at age 81

A homicide case that went cold for 35 years will be cleared by exception by the Parker County Sheriff’s Office following the death of the offender.

William Arthur Fiegener, of Brooklyn, New York, was 22 when he was killed and buried on property near Farm-to-Market Road 51 and Veal Station Road in Weatherford. Fiegener’s remains were discovered in October of 1985, but were not identified until December of 2019 through partnerships with the Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. Using a new technology, Parabon NanoLabs, which does DNA phenotyping, they were able to positively identify the remains as Fiegeners.

PCSO Criminal Investigations Division Sgt. Ricky Montgomery said through witness interviews, they were able to put together a story of the events leading up to Fiegener’s death.

“What we learned was that in 1984 our victim, Billy Fiegener, was having some issues at home in Brooklyn and getting into trouble running with the wrong crowd. So a decision was made that he was going to go out to California to stay with a guy on a horse ranch in hopes of staying away from a bad element and keeping himself out of trouble,” Montgomery said. “After some time goes by, [Fiegener] is approached by a guy named Forrest Ethington and he convinces Billy to travel from California to Texas with the idea of making a whole bunch of money. What their plan is is they’re going to come to Texas and do some robberies of coin shops.”

Ethington was living in the Lake Dallas area at the time and he, along with Fiegener, pulled off a couple of robberies, Montgomery said.

Following those robberies, Fiegener decided to pull a smash and grab robbery on his own using Ethington’s daughter’s car. Fiegener was caught and set to go to court for the robbery, Montgomery said.

“Ethington became angry about this and told a witness he was going to kill Billy. A short time later, he called that same witness and said that he had killed Billy,” Montgomery said. “I’ve talked to two people that said Billy had a big mouth, he couldn’t keep his mouth shut, and my understanding is that Billy was caught during that burglary and was set to go to court. [Ethington] was worried he was going to flip on him and so that, to me, seems like the motive for killing Billy.”

After Fiegener’s death, Ethington put together another crew and robbed a coin shop in Pantego, Texas in Tarrant County, Montgomery said. The coin shop owner was shot in the back of the head three times by one of the crew members. After stealing coins, Ethington and another man arranged to attend a coin show to sell the pieces, but were discovered by other coin collectors.

“What they didn’t do was they didn’t take the coins out of the packages and those had the handwriting of the owner of the coin store. Well, that’s really a small, tight-knit community and there were enough collectors that came by that they were able to identify his handwriting on those packages,” Montgomery said. “They called the FBI and the FBI seized all the coins and that’s how they got caught.”

Ethington was arrested for the Pantego case and served about five years in prison before appealing the case in 1991.

Ethington was then arrested and sent to prison again in 2010 for aggravated sexual assault of a child.

“He died in prison, in the Estelle Unit in Huntsville, back in October of 2019 at the age of 81,” Montgomery said. “So, it will be cleared by exception and what that means is we have enough to get a warrant for him for murder if he was still alive; however, because he’s deceased, we can’t really file the case so we’re going to clear it by exception and the reason for the exceptionally cleared status will be death of the offender.”

Montgomery said he really doesn’t know why Ethington chose Weatherford as the location to kill and bury Fiegener.

“I don’t know how he got to FM 51 and Veal Station, that’s beyond me, other than maybe they drove until it was a dark area,” Montgomery said. “It was kind of desolate and back in 1984 I don’t imagine there would have been very bright street lights in that area.”

Montgomery said after they were able to identify the remains of Fiegener, it made the rest of the investigation a lot easier.

“It became easier to put the story together because most people, with the exception of Ethington, that were involved in this investigation were still alive,” Montgomery said. “And if it hadn’t been for the sheriff pushing us out to travel, I don’t know that we would have been able to get all of this information over the phone, so it was fortunate that he pushed us out there to get those interviews done.”

Parker County Sheriff Larry Fowler thanked Montgomery and all the other agencies involved in solving the case.

“I am exceedingly proud of our investigators and the agencies which assisted us in solving this murder case,” Fowler said. “Through this tragedy, several law enforcement agencies joined resources to close this case and bring the family some sort of closure regarding their son. I want to personally thank our Criminal Investigations Division Sgt. Ricky Montgomery, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, Brevard Florida County Sheriff’s Office, Federal Heights Colorado Police Department, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Texas Rangers for their invaluable assistance in helping solve this case.”

35-Year Mystery Solved - His Name Was Billy. Billy Fiegener

latest
latest
latest

His skeletal remains were found by chance on Oct. 27, 1985, on a sprawling ranch in Parker County in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. A father and son were walking the remote property, hoping to find a potential home site. Instead, they were stopped in their tracks by a startling discovery: a murder scene.

The victim, a young male, believed to be between the ages of 15 and 20, was shot to death. His shallow grave, partially concealed under a tree and low brush, had been dug up by animals. Clothing, including a pair of “Guess” blue jeans and a “Union Bay” white fleece jacket, were strewn over a wide area.
---
CeCe Moore, chief genetic genealogist for Parabon, did an initial assessment and got very excited, thinking this should be easy. It was anything but. What she thought could be done in a matter of weeks stretched over 18 months. She devoted hundreds of hours of her own time, determined to solve the mystery.
---
The family provided a DNA sample, which further confirmed it was Billy. The only photo they had of him was from grade school. Hurricane Sandy had destroyed all the others when they were living in New York.

Billy had been getting in serious trouble in Brooklyn, his parents said, and they sent him to work on a horse ranch in California owned by a former neighbor. They never knew what happened to him after that.

Montgomery was determined to find out. He tracked down relatives, including a brother who still lived in Brooklyn, and people who worked with him on the California ranch, slowly piecing together the story of Billy’s short life.

While working on the ranch, Billy had met a guy named Forrest Ethington who lived in the Dallas area. He was putting together some “crews” around the country to do coin shop heists.

They pulled off some coin shop heists together in Texas, and then Billy decided to do some robberies on his own, Montgomery learned. But he got caught, and Ethington worried that Billy would turn on him to save his own hide.
---
Ethington told a witness he was going to have to kill Billy to silence him, Montgomery said. That’s when he marched Billy out to a remote part of the Texas ranch and shot him once in the back of the head.

Montgomery was ready to serve Ethington with a murder warrant and tracked him to a prison where he was serving time. But Ethington had died of a heart attack one month earlier at age 81.

The 35-year-old murder case of John Parker Doe could finally be closed, and Montgomery was grateful he could get answers to his family.

His Name Was Billy

While it’s good he got his name back, I can’t say that he was a good person at all he was a criminal it’s hard to feel sympathy for criminals. Perhaps some time in jail would have convinced him to turn his life around had he not been killed. I’m sure he was smart enough to know though that getting involved with criminals it wasn’t going to end well.

No disrespect to the family they lost their son and I feel for them but from what I’ve read he was not a good person.

While it’s good he got his name back, I can’t say that he was a good person at all he was a criminal it’s hard to feel sympathy for criminals. Perhaps some time in jail would have convinced him to turn his life around had he not been killed. I’m sure he was smart enough to know though that getting involved with criminals it wasn’t going to end well.

No disrespect to the family they lost their son and I feel for them but from what I’ve read he was not a good person.
i feel sympathy for ppl who are murdered...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho
Back