Found Deceased AL - Paighton Houston, 29, left bar with 2 men, Birmingham, 20 Dec 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree 100%. It would be highly irregular after 8 days. IMO, if they still suspected those guys this case would be flagged as potentially criminal. And we'd be seeing lots more urgency from LE.
Go back and look at the Savanah Spurlock case. She left a bar with three guys and was never seen again. Cops identified the three guys quickly, but months went by before anything came of it.

I do not know if this is related. Lee County shows to be about 114 miles from Birmingham. (Credit for finding this article does NOT go to me!)

Death investigation underway as human remains located in Lee County

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏
Oh wow...from the wording of this article, the remains are definitely new/recent. I don’t think there’d be a big police presence plus combing the property for 2+ hours if someone had just come across possible old human bones or fragments that would need to undergo a lot of anthropological testing. Wouldn’t need to send a whole team out for that.

Whoever it is I hope it provides some answers and closure for loved ones

Oh wow...from the wording of this article, the remains are definitely new/recent. I don’t think there’d be a big police presence plus combing the property for 2+ hours if someone had just come across possible old human bones or fragments that would need to undergo a lot of anthropological testing. Wouldn’t need to send a whole team out for that.

Whoever it is I hope it provides some answers and closure for loved ones

It appears there was a 72 yo who disappeared from the 3000 block of this same road (story says the remains were found in the 9000 block) a few weeks ago. I'm guessing it's more than likely this guy.
Lee County Sheriff’s Office searching for missing 72-year-old man

My mind keeps going back to the timeframe, she was gone 1 1/2 hours before sending that text. She didn't initially feel in trouble. She could have left the bar with the two guys for a house party, then left house party with someone else. Those two guys could have left the party and she was then left alone with people she didn't know. She could have walked/ran away from wherever she "felt in trouble" at and got lost. So many scenarios!

I can honestly see the two guys possibly being cleared and I have to admit that's what I think since LE hasn't released any photos/video. They had plenty of time to go to another party/bar and leave and leave her there alone. I'm not thinking a bar though, her texts sounds like it was a smaller gathering, like at a house. She didn't say she didn't know what "bar" she was at, she said she didn't know "who" she was with. House, car, parking lot, park......WHERE??!!

Where in the world did her phone last ping?!! She sent the text at 12:14AM, her phone HAD to have pinged somewhere. WHERE??!! A house, a bar, where. It is crazy to me LE says they have no additional leads. Where was that last ping and that would tell of her "story" of where she was in that last 1.5 hours. They knew Savanah's last location and the rest of it played out. Where was Paighton's last location? Sadly, I think it would tell "the rest of the story".

Paighton Houston: Alabama woman who texted she ‘felt in trouble’ is still missing after leaving with two strangers

“Paighton Houston was last seen at approximately 10:45 p.m. at the Tin Roof located in the 2700 block of 7th Avenue South,” Williams said. “She was last seen leaving the location with two heavy set black males. It was reported that Paighton appeared to have left the location willingly with the two males.”

“At about 12:14 p.m. that night, she sent a text to one of the friends she was at the bar with, stating that she didn’t know who she was with, and that she felt like she was in trouble,” Evan Houston said.

If she didn’t, I guess I’m not following the reasoning...why would someone else send an alarming text from her phone just an hour after she was last seen?
I think that would be IF this were the case, it would be b/c someone known to her sent the text. IF she was seen with someone known to her or any of her friends believed she was going to meet or be with someone known to her that person would want her friends to believe otherwise. Sending a text saying I am not sure who I'm with and I feel in trouble would definitely make her other friend believe she was not with that person. That is IF she did not send the text. IMOO, that would be a reason for someone other than Paighton to send that text if she accidentally overdosed or she somehow came to harm at their hands, they'd want to mislead others so it appeared she was with someone else & didnt even know who she was with. Seems unlikely but we have seen it in other cases.

Last edited:
My mind keeps going back to the timeframe, she was gone 1 1/2 hours before sending that text. She didn't initially feel in trouble. She could have left the bar with the two guys for a house party, then left house party with someone else. Those two guys could have left the party and she was then left alone with people she didn't know. She could have walked/ran away from wherever she "felt in trouble" at and got lost. So many scenarios!

I can honestly see the two guys possibly being cleared and I have to admit that's what I think since LE hasn't released any photos/video. They had plenty of time to go to another party/bar and leave and leave her there alone. I'm not thinking a bar though, her texts sounds like it was a smaller gathering, like at a house. She didn't say she didn't know what "bar" she was at, she said she didn't know "who" she was with. House, car, parking lot, park......WHERE??!!

Where in the world did her phone last ping?!! She sent the text at 12:14AM, her phone HAD to have pinged somewhere. WHERE??!! A house, a bar, where. It is crazy to me LE says they have no additional leads. Where was that last ping and that would tell of her "story" of where she was in that last 1.5 hours. They knew Savanah's last location and the rest of it played out. Where was Paighton's last location? Sadly, I think it would tell "the rest of the story".

Paighton Houston: Alabama woman who texted she ‘felt in trouble’ is still missing after leaving with two strangers

“Paighton Houston was last seen at approximately 10:45 p.m. at the Tin Roof located in the 2700 block of 7th Avenue South,” Williams said. “She was last seen leaving the location with two heavy set black males. It was reported that Paighton appeared to have left the location willingly with the two males.”

“At about 12:14 p.m. that night, she sent a text to one of the friends she was at the bar with, stating that she didn’t know who she was with, and that she felt like she was in trouble,” Evan Houston said.
Although ping information would be useful, it would not tell what her last location would be. It would simply give an indication of a general area, and depending on how many phone towers are in the area, that may give a radius of several miles or more. Ping information is good for verifying information once you have it. For instance, if one of the men gave a story that they went to location A then location B, her phone ping could confirm that the story actually made sense. You cannot track someone effectively by phone pings alone though.

Yes, and a ping wouldn't give the whole story. Those with bad intentions could just throw the phone out the window while driving along or into a dumpster, etc.

I said it before in this forum and I'll say it again. I havent ruled out sex trafficking as a possibility. Alabama has a huge problem with missing girls.

Although ping information would be useful, it would not tell what her last location would be. It would simply give an indication of a general area, and depending on how many phone towers are in the area, that may give a radius of several miles or more. Ping information is good for verifying information once you have it. For instance, if one of the men gave a story that they went to location A then location B, her phone ping could confirm that the story actually made sense. You cannot track someone effectively by phone pings alone though.

Yes, and a ping wouldn't give the whole story. Those with bad intentions could just throw the phone out the window while driving along or into a dumpster, etc.

Correct, I understand it wouldn't give the whole story, nor would it ping to a particular location, but it would give an idea/radius of where she was. A populated area, a bar district, it would give some understanding versus she just left the bar and disappeared forever. Where did she go from there? What direction?

IF she sent the text herself, it would at least give the last general location of where she was. I get there are a lot of "ifs" to this as there is why she left the bar with strangers to begin with. Just for LE to say no additional leads other than her walking away from the bar leaves me shaking my head.

IMO, when video is released in a missing person's case. The public at large really engages and becomes vested in helping solve the case. People talk to each other and engage in conversation when they wouldn't necessarily do so. I'm not sure why BPD is choosing not to release images, nor hold a press conference in this case. I'm normally always squarely in LE's corner. But for some reason, from the get-go in this case I felt like they were making a mistake. I'll likely be wrong, but until we receive a valid reason I feel like this is a mistake.

Paighton's parents have already been through hell with her. To lose her after she seemingly had her life put back together, just isn't fair!!

<snipped for focus>

You could very well be right. It wouldn't be the first time in history that a police department has botched an investigation.

’We’ve got to find her’: Police seek new leads on woman missing after leaving Birmingham bar

This is from the article in the link: “Our investigators want to review that footage. They want to make sure they’ve exhausted all their leads by going through that footage and if they determine anything that will point them in a different direction, we’ll let you guys know,’’

This link is now 4 days old. 4 DAYS!!!! This poor girl has been missing for 10 days. Is it just me or does this feel a little sloppy?? It doesn't say they have cleared anyone, or ID'd anyone in the video....they want to REVIEW IT.

Any thoughts on why LE would call this a strange case?
They did that in the recent Heidi Boussard case. But I think they called it "a unique case". Of course by that time LE had reviewed the apts CC coverage and saw that HB had entered a car willingly. So who knows what they mean by "strange". Hopefully we'll find out soon.

I think the text message also asked the textee to answer the phone if she called because she sensed trouble.
Lifeline?
Agree. The wording in "I feel in trouble" hasnt sat with me well. I considered she was typing fast and just not using the correct wording...BUT, could be due to relapse. Normally, recovering addicts are warned to stay away from all drugs and alcohol. To avoid a ricochet effect.

Is her phone going straight to voicemail now? If so, when did it start going straight to voicemail? Was it ringing through for a while?
Was this discussed here on WS? Idk if LE or family said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998