OH OH - Harley Dilly, 14, enroute to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has Nancy Grace done an episode on Harley?
I saw a couple of articles but wondered if she'd had anyone on and interviewed them. She generally has neighbors or friends on. It doesn't look like there are transcripts like there was on HLN.

Reactions: osu
Unless you are a rebellious teenager,or have a rebellious Teenager. They said he's done this before,but came back. So I'm thinking they thought giving him some time,and space would help,and he'd be back, safe and sound like before. So they acted normal,carried on with normal daily life. No worries he'll be back,and we'll get through these teenage years,look back and laugh,and joke about those wild bygone trying Teenage years.
MOO
Maybe.. but all of that coupled with Mom ignoring phone call(s) from the school, it starts feeling very strange. MOO

Right? I have three boys and can't imagine if one of them didn't come home just being like, Oh well I guess he'll come home whenever.
and then just letting over an entire day pass by like it's nothing. I find that extremely odd. Granted, my boys are a bit younger than Harley, but still.. it's unfathomable to me. MOO

My older boys are 14 and 16 and I’d have called the cops right away! I just can’t even imagine waiting 41 HOURS!!

I've tried to keep up with all the details so I apologize if this is posted somewhere.

Do we know if it was common for Harley to be absent/truant from school? Or would it have been unusual for him to miss school? We know he didn't want to go that day and said he felt sick, but just curious on past attendance records.

Also it sounds like they can't definitively say he DID start walking to school that day? Is the only "evidence" of this the grainy dash cam photo that they aren't sure if it's him or not?

Yes. That’s the only possible sighting we have outside of family
Unless you are a rebellious teenager,or have a rebellious Teenager. They said he's done this before,but came back. So I'm thinking they thought giving him some time,and space would help,and he'd be back, safe and sound like before. So they acted normal,carried on with normal daily life. No worries he'll be back,and we'll get through these teenage years,look back and laugh,and joke about those wild bygone trying Teenage years.
MOO

Chief said he often left for a friends when he was mad. ONCE Overnight.

It is not the norm for him to disappear. Chief said had never been reported as a runaway.

This is all just so sad. I have three kids and if one of them went missing for so much as 20 minutes I would be scared out of my mind.

Now granted, none of my kids are teens yet, and none of them have social media or cell phones, but I feel like when that time comes that it is reasonable that they would have a phone or SM, I will be worried sick trying to make sure nobody is abusing the privileges and putting themselves in potential danger. I get nervous just thinking about it.

But dang, it makes me so sad for Harley that 41 hours - and a trip to freakin Roadhouse - lapsed before the parents thought HEY SOMETHING ISNT RIGHT HERE.

And the transcript posted above from the YouTube video paints a very concerning picture of severe dysfunction at home.

JMO MOO

Has Nancy Grace done an episode on Harley?
I saw a couple of articles but wondered if she'd had anyone on and interviewed them. She generally has neighbors or friends on. It doesn't look like there are transcripts like there was on HLN.

She did early on. Neighbors were interviewed. I don’t have a link on hand rn hopefully someone else does.

This is all just so sad. I have three kids and if one of them went missing for so much as 20 minutes I would be scared out of my mind.

Now granted, none of my kids are teens yet, and none of them have social media or cell phones, but I feel like when that time comes that it is reasonable that they would have a phone or SM, I will be worried sick trying to make sure nobody is abusing the privileges and putting themselves in potential danger. I get nervous just thinking about it.

But dang, it makes me so sad for Harley that 41 hours - and a trip to freakin Roadhouse - lapsed before the parents thought HEY SOMETHING ISNT RIGHT HERE.

And the transcript posted above from the YouTube video paints a very concerning picture of severe dysfunction at home.

JMO MOO

The roadhouse trip kills me. What if he came home and they were gone. Can you imagine?

I remember coming home from school at 14 and my parents had gone on a family outing with my little brother. I felt so unwanted.

He has a lil bro. He could have felt push out. Not that his parents meant to, but kids think this way.

Oh God. What if he went home that night?If they had been home? Maybe that's why she mentioned always being home on the couch waiting now. Maybe she feels the same way.

She ignored calls from the school? I thought she didn't get any calls because her mailbox was full.

That would just prevent them leaving a message, not calling.
The only time I ignore the school calling is when my child is sitting next to me and I'm sending a doctors note with her the next day.

I am trying to come up with a way to word this without sounding like I am looking down at people but I don't. I grew up in a small town in Ohio and I'm just going to say what I know.

It is obvious Harley doesn't come from a wealthy family, or even upper middle class. The family doesn't have a spokesperson like many wealthier families do. I am sure many wealthy families have the same pleas as Harley's mom did until someone re-writes them and makes them more child-centered. In times of great fear and anxiety, our concern reverts to ourselves. Especially for people who aren't sophisticated (and I'm not judging, I came up from the same background.) The family does not have a lot of resources, both physical and social-emotional ones.

I had great but uneducated parents. Their plea would sound the same. It's not just poverty of money. It's poverty of understanding and being able to express themselves.

Now some thoughts on Harley:
  • What if he was actually sick? Could he have passed out and become disoriented? They would have found him by now if that happened, right?
  • What if he said he was sick to avoid going to school because he knew he'd be jumped or something? The day before Christmas break is a big day for students to start trouble. If he got jumped, did it go wrong? I do think a kid would have leaked the secret by now if that happened.
  • There are a ton of empty cabins and lakehouses this time of year. I think every single one of them needs to be checked. The weather has been decent and he may be able to stay warm inside one.
  • As for the questions about the Ring cameras- I live in small town Ohio and I'm the only one with a Ring on my street. It's expensive, and not entirely necessary when you have other neighbors looking out for you. My parents are in Florida and everyone has a ring- I think it just depends where you are. Small town Ohio- may not need one.
I hope I don't sound like I'm puting anyone down. We just really need to consider that the family may not be that resourceful before jumping to conclusions.

I am holding onto hope. I do not think he was abducted. Unless there is an SM trail we're not aware of. They said he doesn't warm up to strangers, so it's unlikely he went off with someone.

I pray suicide is not the outcome, mostly because I believe he would have done it somewhere he'd be found. But unfortunately sometimes kids do rash things before thinking.

I'm hoping the lack of evidence means he's hiding. I'll keep praying.

To the highlighted - no doubt that was Harley's goal.
I say that because I have 2 that are around Harley's age and that group is fascinated with Youtuber's. Mine have repeatedly asked at what age will I let them get a Youtube channel. They talk nonstop about how many subscribers someone has, when a new video will be posted, and the latest updates on these people.
I haven't given in to mine yet, but it's definitely "the thing" for this group and I've heard this from many coworkers as well with kids of this age.
Yup, that and TikTok...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member