OH OH - Harley Dilly, 14, enroute to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know everyone is different. The length of time in reporting does seem off to someone like me. My grandson is 14. He lives 1/4 of a mile across an open field from me. When he comes to see me, I asked him or his parents to notify me when he gets back home, just to be on the safe side. It may seem extreme, but I do it because I've had the fear that he could get hurt, and we'd all be oblivious, assuming he was at the other house. Yes, I realize for centuries people did not do this, because there was no way to do it. However, when we do have the capability to keep track of our children and choose not to, it seems off to me. It would be a bit like choosing to ride a mule everywhere I go rather than ride in a car, because people went centuries without cars. JMHO

If memory serves, Harley said he was sick the morning he disappeared, but his mom made him go to school anyway. Being sick would mean he'd stay at home, correct? If this version of events is accurate, Harley wasn't trying to avoid being at home. If he really was trying to avoid going to school (not honestly sick), why?

In general, I think it's a good practice (and normal police procedure?) to vigorously question the parents in a situation like this, even poly them. It would quickly eliminate them so that LE could pursue other avenues. I know many people don't hold much faith in poly's, but I believe they serve to be a good interview tool.

Amateur opinion and speculation
I believe in poly to that would tell everyone a lot of what happened to Harley.i have a 14 year old and this case is breaking my heart not knowing if he is safe and have something to eat and want to know if he had any money on him to get something.

If memory serves, Harley said he was sick the morning he disappeared, but his mom made him go to school anyway. Being sick would mean he'd stay at home, correct? If this version of events is accurate, Harley wasn't trying to avoid being at home. If he really was trying to avoid going to school (not honestly sick), why?

School sucks
Bullies
Packing a bag
Planning to meet someone
Mental health day

I believe in poly to that would tell everyone a lot of what happened to Harley.i have a 14 year old and this case is breaking my heart not knowing if he is safe and have something to eat and want to know if he had any money on him to get something.
Well there is alot of debates about polygraphs, but as I posted, I consider them a good investigative tool. I too share your concern about Harley. I hope my speculation that he has been staying at someone's home that has been away for the holidays is right. If so, he might just be popping up before the week is over. Lets pray so!

Amateur opinion and speculation

Chief just released a new statement (on FB) that family is cooperative and “we have no reason to believe they are involved”.

And I’m now baffled. He says
No abduction
No family involvement

Yet he has 18 state & national agencies working on ... a runaway?

I haven't seen any of the videos but had the thought - if his mother had a stroke, that would affect her cognitively, through no fault of her own.

I don't want to judge. It does sound like he was being treated like a adult, instead of the hurting needy kid most 14-year-olds actually are underneath.

I haven't seen any of the videos but had the thought - if his mother had a stroke, that would affect her cognitively, through no fault of her own.

I don't want to judge. It does sound like he was being treated like a adult, instead of the hurting needy kid most 14-year-olds actually are underneath.

I just found out about the heart attack and stroke. It sounds like she rehabbed for 4 weeks and probably lots of maintenance after that. A stroke could absolutely affect her cognitive abilities and would explain why she might not be acting in a way that would be considered normal. That doesn't negate the permissive parenting aspects that seem to have been going on for a long time. However, the stroke clears up a lot of the behavior I have seen from her in terms of what she is saying and how she is coming across.

DBM

Last edited:
Afternoon update: BBM

Harley Dilly Update #2, Tuesday, December 31st, 2019

Good Afternoon,

Updated Information;

I would like to advise you that through the entire investigation of the disappearance of Harley Dilly, the family has fully cooperated and we have no reason to believe they are involved.

• Our investigators continue to research the records that we have been able to obtain thus far.

As like this morning’s announcement;

• The investigation is being conducted by federal, state and local law enforcement partners.

• Here’s what I need from you. I need the investigation to be allowed to continue uninterrupted.

• Please don’t spread rumors, rather, if you have information about this case, please contact the

Port Clinton Police Department (419) 734-3121

National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (800) 843-5678.

• I am asking our residents to continue to help by sharing flyers in person and on social media.

• Please allow the professionals involved in this case to continue to do their job - we are working tirelessly and will continue to do so until Harley is brought home and reunited with his family.

• Briefing on this case has shifted from a daily in-person briefing to information solely provided via the Port Clinton Police Department Facebook page.

• If there is a major case announcement, we will notify the press via our Facebook page with appropriate lead time and share information about where and when the briefing will be held.

• This shift in briefing allows us to continue focusing resources on the case and should not be construed otherwise - we appreciate the community’s outpouring of support and sharing Harley’s picture and the tip line information.

We currently have the following agencies at our office or have been involved with this investigation;

Black Swamp Search & Rescue
Clermont County Sheriff's Office
Delaware County Sheriff’s Office
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Grant County Sheriff’s Office (Kentucky)
Kentucky Search Dog Association
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation
Ohio State Highway Patrol
Ottawa County Drug Task Force
Ottawa County Prosecutors Office
Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office
Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office Underwater Rescue and Recovery Team
Port Clinton Fire and Rescue
Shawnee Hills Police Department
United States Customs and Border Protection
United States Marshals Service

Chief Hickman

Port Clinton Police Department

Chief just released a new statement (on FB) that family is cooperative and “we have no reason to believe they are involved”.

And I’m now baffled. He says
No abduction
No family involvement

Yet he has 18 state & national agencies working on ... a runaway?

The details of the investigation shouldn't be for us, the public, at this time, though. Bring in all you've got for every missing person, IMO.

The details of the investigation shouldn't be for us, the public, at this time, though. Bring in all you've got for every missing person, IMO.

I mean. Ideally yes.

But that’s also just not the reality. 2,000 missing people in a day in this country means resources have to be prioritized. And those resources historically aren’t given to runaways. What makes this different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Protocol136