NE NE - Chance Englebert, 25, Gering, 6 July 2019 (new father)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And, drunk men and bodies of water is a toxic mix. Whether it's on purpose or an accident.
Respectfully snipped.
Sadly, this is very true. We have thread after thread on WS of sad endings of males ending up in water. It seems like moths to light. I so wish this one will turn out different. Chance and his family just seem so salt of the earth.

Amateur opinion and speculation

She’s also very young and maybe thought she’d need it immediately to access funds or something. I’m sure she must now regret the remark. At least I hope so.

against the overwhelming odds, still praying he is found alive.

amateur opinion and speculation

I'm sure she does regret it now, in any case. She can access any of their joint funds without a death certificate. What she can't do is receive death benefits, insurance settlements, own or sell property in his name or access a bank account not bearing her name as his secondary. I'm currently handling the matters of a deceased sibling and death certificates are not just handed out willy nilly. I can't imagine what made her ask for one so soon.

I'm sure she does regret it now, in any case. She can access any of their joint funds without a death certificate. What she can't do is receive death benefits, insurance settlements, own or sell property in his name or access a bank account not bearing her name as his secondary. I'm currently handling the matters of a deceased sibling and death certificates are not just handed out willy nilly. I can't imagine what made her ask for one so soon.
Some well meaning friend probably gave her bad advice.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Thanks so much for that transcript, @cujenn81 ! I listened to it a bit ago but the refresh of my memory was good to have.

I still think there are some hazy areas of B's story that don't ring true to me. Now, she did say that the family member feels terrible about saying whatever it was that upset Chance so bad and maybe LE knows all of what she is holding back in that podcast. But when you overlay what Chance's mom says over what B says, I just still see inconsistencies. An example is how B paints the relationship with Chance. That whole best friend and easy going relationship thing doesn't parallel with mom calling it "rocky" and offering to pay for counseling. Does it add up to murder? No, but it just seems like she is minimizing unpleasant details by painting a different picture than what the reality might have been. That leads me to wonder if she is doing the same thing here:

**"Bailey: We were just down visiting our family, and the guys all decided that they wanted to go golfing. So him, my brother-in-law, and my dad, they went down to Bear Golf Course and drank a lot, and golfed a lot, and I don’t know. Ha… had fun. Ha… he called me, and we were supposed to meet some friends for dinner that night, and he was in a super good mood, so I drove out there. I got the baby out of the car, and I started walking over to where everyone was sitting. And he stood up and said, “Get the f*ck back in the car. We’re leaving.” So, I thought that was really weird. So I was kinda looking at everyone, and they’re looking at me. And everyone is just super confused. We left and I canceled plans with my friends, and he had misunderstood something that somebody had said about him getting—about the mine shutting down. Cause in Nebraska, the minimum wage, I mean… it’s hard to make really good money in Nebraska. Even if you’re super skilled, you’re not going to be paid worth a **** compared to what you are in Wyoming. And, so they made a comment about “at least he wasn’t making minimum wage “. By Nebraska standards, he was making good money, and he just took it the wrong way. So he was upset about that, and he really wanted to go home. And, he had been drinking just enough that there was no talking any sort of sense into him. So, I just kinda went with it and was like okay cool, we’ll go home. So I drove to my grandparent’s in Gering, Nebraska, where we had been staying, and I went in to pack my bag. We pulled into the driveway, and he said, “No, I said I wanted to go home.” And I was like, “Yeah, just hold on. I’m gonna go grab our bags and we’ll leave. Well, he took off walking. And I ran the baby inside, and took him out of his car seat, handed him to my grandma, and ran back outside. And I started driving around looking for him. Several phone calls later, the rainstorm hit and I just never got him found."

**I have bolded the areas where I see her either minimizing the negatives and over-emphasizing the positives. I guess it just bugs me that he is supposedly so upset by something so insignificant even thought he is supposed to be so easy-going. She seems to be the cool one, in her words, and handles his upset with ultimate calm and composure. Wonder why he wasn't calmed down after the ride back and why he still was so angry that he got out and wanted to walk home? This is puzzling since, according to her, she had told him that they would go home.

I'm trying hard not to judge, but I am having trouble putting myself into her shoes and understanding some of this. I've been married to my best friend for over 30 years and we have been together since we were late teens. It is hard for me to picture her being such a reservoir of calm and him still being inconsolable over one off-hand comment that was misunderstood. My gut feeling is that there is more to this. Either they have more to tell about this incident or he was having some major emotional problems that she had become accustomed to rolling with. One way or another, there is more here than meets the eye.

**Just My Opinion
I totally agree. Add to the comments his mother made about counseling and whatnot, his friend DJ -- who they also apparently lived with at one point -- mentioned there was arguing and drama. And, at first, he figured Chance was just tired of dealing with Bailey and wanted to get away from her. I mean I know people tend to remember the past being better than it really was... so maybe that's it?

Her story is very detailed about everything else that occurred except for the part about picking him up and what was said -- she's very vague about it and kinda glazes over that part -- which tells me there's something she's trying to hide about those interactions. Maybe it's just that she doesn't want to discuss what was said to upset Chance so badly that day -- or reveal who said it -- because she's trying to protect the family member from false accusations, or whatever. Regardless of whether she is innocent of anything to do with his disappearance, I definitely don't think she's telling us the whole story. Her reasons for that is anyone's guess at this point.

As for as the searching--
I am not at all familiar with the landscape of Nebraska. Does anyone know how likely it would've been that they'd find his body during those first few days of searching, if he had died as a result of the storm?

Her story is very detailed about everything else that occurred except for the part about picking him up and what was said -- she's very vague about it and kinda glazes over that part -- which tells me there's something she's trying to hide about those interactions.
I agree. Something wanted to make him get out of the car and walk. What is it ?

I totally agree. Add to the comments his mother made about counseling and whatnot, his friend DJ -- who they also apparently lived with at one point -- mentioned there was arguing and drama. And, at first, he figured Chance was just tired of dealing with Bailey and wanted to get away from her. I mean I know people tend to remember the past being better than it really was... so maybe that's it?

Her story is very detailed about everything else that occurred except for the part about picking him up and what was said -- she's very vague about it and kinda glazes over that part -- which tells me there's something she's trying to hide about those interactions. Maybe it's just that she doesn't want to discuss what was said to upset Chance so badly that day -- or reveal who said it -- because she's trying to protect the family member from false accusations, or whatever. Regardless of whether she is innocent of anything to do with his disappearance, I definitely don't think she's telling us the whole story. Her reasons for that is anyone's guess at this point.

As for as the searching--
I am not at all familiar with the landscape of Nebraska. Does anyone know how likely it would've been that they'd find his body during those first few days of searching, if he had died as a result of the storm?
The Platte River is a fairly shallow river. Bodies of drowning victims invariably show up because they get caught on downed trees, etc. I think the reason there is no body in this case is because his body has been intentionally concealed.

JMO

This is just my guess but maybe she wants to remarry?

If that is the case, wouldn't divorce be easier than murder?
I think sole custody is the motive for murder and mom wanted it all for herself. If it had been the mother who went missing and the father of the baby claiming he thought she just left to visit her granny, LE would have been all over him as a suspect just as they were in the Frazee case. The mother of the missing parent is speaking the loudest, just as Cheryl Berreth did. My heart goes out to these moms.

Hopefully LE is sending the interview in for professional analysis because the baby's mother blames Chance for everything. She claims he "misunderstood" what was said. I don't believe he misunderstood at all. She claims she stopped at her grandparents to grab luggage. Why the need to take the baby inside with her? Chance didn't want to go inside. She also delayed getting law enforcement involved just as Frazee did and delayed his family from arriving.

There are multiple red flags in the interview.

Thanks for providing the transcript @cujenn81. I appreciate it.

JMO

Thank you so much for transcribing. I would very much rather read something than listen, can’t seem to concentrate as well just listening to an interview.

I guess the thing that really bothers me is this:

1. How is someone unable to find a person that took off walking when said person claims to have just run in to give the baby to the grandparents and also uses the car to chase after someone who is on foot? IMO, this cannot be the entire story. Unless he was hiding from her when she was searching for him, if she truly went looking right away, He couldn’t have covered so much area that someone in a car couldn’t catch up to him even if he were running. I’m curious to the length of time between him getting out and starting to walk and Bailey actually leaving to search for him. I suppose it would be harder if one had no idea which direction he was heading. Something doesn’t add up IMO.

2. I can buy that she is probably minimizing for reputation purposes and to try and get speculation off of her however, the minimizing added with the immediate conclusion that he is deceased is very suspicious to me. I still cannot rationalize how one would have zero hope so early on. It truly makes no sense to me.

As I said, things just aren’t adding up to me. Everything combined points to foul play in my opinion. Trying to minimize a rocky relationship isn’t odd in my opinion. But add it to a lackadaisical attitude towards trying to locate him + jumping to the conclusion he is not alive + over protecting a family members involvement instead of standing by your husband and his feelings + handing baby over when the plan was to go home + giving up searching due to rain when this would typically create more urgency to locate a loved one + any of the other things that seem inappropriate that she has said has me really questioning whether or not she has been truly forthcoming with LE or anyone.

I feel like she is protecting someone other than her husband. Already setting the stage so the audience has already been hearing how it was all just a big misunderstanding and it was Chance’s fault for ending up where he is, because he took it the wrong way. I hope I am wrong, but after reading that interview, this is the feeling I have. I would also note, if everyone who loves Chance is painting a negative picture or Bailey and their relationship, I would tend to believe them. Not just 1 or 2 people have said this now.

He also called a friend to come get him.
The time of the storm and his disappearance also coincide.

It is really hard to explain no body at this point. Bodies that get swept into shallow rivers eventually surface. Maybe his will, but many feel that it should have surfaced by now, unless it was concealed.

I would much prefer this to be a horribly tragic accident with no evil or malice at play, but my gut feel says otherwise. She was too quick to give up hope that he could be alive.

It is really hard to explain no body at this point. Bodies that get swept into shallow rivers eventually surface. Maybe his will, but many feel that it should have surfaced by now, unless it was concealed.

I would much prefer this to be a horribly tragic accident with no evil or malice at play, but my gut feel says otherwise. She was too quick to give up hope that he could be alive.
There are many factors that determine when remains will surface including water temp. There are several articles online that explain the process. It is not odd that he hasn’t been found yet.

However, as discussed upthread, some of us share your consternation about the wife wanting to seek a death certificate. She must know something we don’t? Whatever it is, it doesn’t seem as if she is going to talk. It doesn’t matter, the truth will come out at some point.

amateur opinion and speculation

Thanks so much for that transcript, @cujenn81 ! I listened to it a bit ago but the refresh of my memory was good to have.

I still think there are some hazy areas of B's story that don't ring true to me. Now, she did say that the family member feels terrible about saying whatever it was that upset Chance so bad and maybe LE knows all of what she is holding back in that podcast. But when you overlay what Chance's mom says over what B says, I just still see inconsistencies. An example is how B paints the relationship with Chance. That whole best friend and easy going relationship thing doesn't parallel with mom calling it "rocky" and offering to pay for counseling. Does it add up to murder? No, but it just seems like she is minimizing unpleasant details by painting a different picture than what the reality might have been. That leads me to wonder if she is doing the same thing here:

**"Bailey: We were just down visiting our family, and the guys all decided that they wanted to go golfing. So him, my brother-in-law, and my dad, they went down to Bear Golf Course and drank a lot, and golfed a lot, and I don’t know. Ha… had fun. Ha… he called me, and we were supposed to meet some friends for dinner that night, and he was in a super good mood, so I drove out there. I got the baby out of the car, and I started walking over to where everyone was sitting. And he stood up and said, “Get the f*ck back in the car. We’re leaving.” So, I thought that was really weird. So I was kinda looking at everyone, and they’re looking at me. And everyone is just super confused. We left and I canceled plans with my friends, and he had misunderstood something that somebody had said about him getting—about the mine shutting down. Cause in Nebraska, the minimum wage, I mean… it’s hard to make really good money in Nebraska. Even if you’re super skilled, you’re not going to be paid worth a **** compared to what you are in Wyoming. And, so they made a comment about “at least he wasn’t making minimum wage “. By Nebraska standards, he was making good money, and he just took it the wrong way. So he was upset about that, and he really wanted to go home. And, he had been drinking just enough that there was no talking any sort of sense into him. So, I just kinda went with it and was like okay cool, we’ll go home. So I drove to my grandparent’s in Gering, Nebraska, where we had been staying, and I went in to pack my bag. We pulled into the driveway, and he said, “No, I said I wanted to go home.” And I was like, “Yeah, just hold on. I’m gonna go grab our bags and we’ll leave. Well, he took off walking. And I ran the baby inside, and took him out of his car seat, handed him to my grandma, and ran back outside. And I started driving around looking for him. Several phone calls later, the rainstorm hit and I just never got him found."

**I have bolded the areas where I see her either minimizing the negatives and over-emphasizing the positives. I guess it just bugs me that he is supposedly so upset by something so insignificant even thought he is supposed to be so easy-going. She seems to be the cool one, in her words, and handles his upset with ultimate calm and composure. Wonder why he wasn't calmed down after the ride back and why he still was so angry that he got out and wanted to walk home? This is puzzling since, according to her, she had told him that they would go home.

I'm trying hard not to judge, but I am having trouble putting myself into her shoes and understanding some of this. I've been married to my best friend for over 30 years and we have been together since we were late teens. It is hard for me to picture her being such a reservoir of calm and him still being inconsolable over one off-hand comment that was misunderstood. My gut feeling is that there is more to this. Either they have more to tell about this incident or he was having some major emotional problems that she had become accustomed to rolling with. One way or another, there is more here than meets the eye.

**Just My Opinion
Quill, if I ever go missing? I want you to be the lead investigator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flintinsects