SC SC - Annette Deanne Sagers, 11, Mount Holly, 4 Oct 1988

Her friend on the bus saw her at the bus stop. The bus went by at 7AM because she was at one of the later stops. AT 715AM when her bus came back around to pick her up, she was not there. I have spoken with her friend.

At one time I sent you a private message saying you should do ancestry DNA then upload to the free sites My Heritage, FTDNA and GEDmatch. There are cases where the missing person lived and had kids. You may get lucky with a niece or nephew match.

Here is the link for the show.

The Vanishing Family

This was a great production. There were just a few things that were incorrect. It's stated both of us were born in South Carolina but one of us was born and Louisiana.Also, they completely cut out our sister Angela. This may have been due to time constraints of one hour for the show. That said it is true that Steve is still in jail with a $150000 bond. Some of the interviews that they did conduct are also being added to the site as small excerpts in addition to the show. One excerpt shows an interview with a speech/writing pathologist. Another excerpt shows the post interview of Steve with myself my brother and the crew. Please check them out.

Just caught the program on Oxygen!

Thomas & James, thanks so much for sharing with LE, with us & with the world. I hope your efforts bring some resolution.

IIRC, the half-sister asked not to be identified. Possibly she doesn't want Steve Malinowski to find her? (Makes sense to me!)

Again, thanks to Annette & Korrina's family, including these 2 young men & their uncle, aunt, and half-sister.

I just watched the Oxygen show. If the house where the family was living when Korrina and Annette went missing is still standing, I wonder if LE has ever checked the attic for yellow carpet fibers, bodily fluids, etc. Also any traces from Steve since he told his sons he had never been up in the attic.

I just watched the Oxygen show. If the house where the family was living when Korrina and Annette went missing is still standing, I wonder if LE has ever checked the attic for yellow carpet fibers, bodily fluids, etc. Also any traces from Steve since he told his sons he had never been up in the attic.

BBM. VERY good point. Steve is now on record as stating that he never went up to the attic. So if any fibers, hairs, fluids etc. of his are found there, that might be cause for more suspicion.

I have to say I was very impressed with how Up & Vanished covered this case. My heart goes out to this whole family—it broke my heart to hear Korrina's brother tear up as he remembered her, and also hearing Annette's brother remember bits and pieces of playing with his older sister. I also can't believe the show not only surprised Steve with his estranged sons, but also directly confronted him about the disappearances!

I like how observant Payne, the host, was when he pointed out that Steve could remember crumpling up Annette's letter, but could not remember if he ever laid a hand on Korrina. When Payne first asked about the crumpled letter, Steve interrupted him to admit, "I did that!" But yet when Payne asked if he ever hit Korrina, Steve said, "My memory doesn't serve me..." Notice the cognitive distancing. Not "I don't remember," but "My memory..." It's a way to avoid responsibility, because if there's ever proof somehow, well, it's not his fault, it's "my memory."

I also agree that another red flag was when Steve failed to notify Annette's uncle that she had gone missing. Ok, let's assume that Korrina did come back for Annette, and that Steve genuinely believed that. My goodness, even if he didn't get along Korrina as the accounts say, wouldn't you at least for the moment want to put those differences aside, call her brother, and say "hey, your sister's alive, and your niece is safe with her?"

Clearly, Steve has a history of abandoning his children. But I find it interesting that his children get left behind, while the one child that wasn't his is the one to go missing—after that child's mother also went missing. I also find it convenient that it was just weeks away from when the state would've considered Annette legally his.

I just wonder, if he did it, then why a year later? Was it just to avoid a new legal responsibility? Or could Annette have confronted Steve about what happened to her mom? Had she heard something that night? Did she maybe go up to the attic and see for herself, and Steve realized he now had a witness?

I agree that Steve knows more than he's saying.

Last edited:
BBM. VERY good point. Steve is now on record as stating that he never went up to the attic. So if any fibers, hairs, fluids etc. of his are found there, that might be cause for more suspicion.

I have to say I was very impressed with how Up & Vanished covered this case. My heart goes out to this whole family—it broke my heart to hear Korrina's brother tear up as he remembered her, and also hearing Annette's brother remember bits and pieces of playing with his older sister. I also can't believe the show not only surprised Steve with his estranged sons, but also directly confronted him about the disappearances!

I like how observant Payne, the host, was when he pointed out that Steve could remember crumpling up Annette's letter, but could not remember if he ever laid a hand on Korrina. When Payne first asked about the crumpled letter, Steve interrupted him to admit, "I did that!" But yet when Payne asked if he ever hit Korrina, Steve said, "My memory doesn't serve me..." Notice the cognitive distancing. Not "I don't remember," but "My memory..." It's a way to avoid responsibility, because if there's ever proof somehow, well, it's not his fault, it's "my memory."

I also agree that another red flag was when Steve failed to notify Annette's uncle that she had gone missing. Ok, let's assume that Korrina did come back for Annette, and that Steve genuinely believed that. My goodness, even if he didn't get along Korrina as the accounts say, wouldn't you at least for the moment want to put those differences aside, call her brother, and say "hey, your sister's alive, and your niece is safe with her?"

Clearly, Steve has a history of abandoning his children. But I find it interesting that his children get left behind, while the one child that wasn't his is the one to go missing—after that child's mother also went missing. I also find it convenient that it was just weeks away from when the state would've considered Annette legally his.

I just wonder, if he did it, then why a year later? Was it just to avoid a new legal responsibility? Or could Annette have confronted Steve about what happened to her mom? Had she heard something that night? Did she maybe go up to the attic and see for herself, and Steve realized he now had a witness?

I agree that Steve knows more than he's saying.

I thought the programme was excellent. It's such an awful pair of cases. Lost Son, I am glad that you are here, you and your brother are clearly a strong pair of survivors. I can only hope that new leads come to light and get you the answers you need.

It has nothing to do with Annette or the mom. I am Steve's sister in law.

Last edited:
Agreed. I believe that Steve killed both Korrinna and Annette.

The only question former is, where did he put the bodies.

They both disappeared near the same plantation, right? Any chance they could be buried there?

Annette Deanne Sagers – The Charley Project

Last updated July 13, 2021; details of disappearance updated.

Details of Disappearance
Annette was last seen at approximately 7:00 a.m. on October 4, 1988 in her hometown of Mount Holly, South Carolina. She was standing with her dog at the bus stop in front of Mount Holly Plantation at the time, waiting to go to classes at Westview Middle School, where she was a sixth-grader.

When the bus arrived twenty minutes later, Annette was gone and her dog was at the bus stop alone. She has never been seen again. Her stepfather, Thomas Steven "Steve" Malinoski, didn't realize she was missing until that afternoon, when she didn't come home from school and he found out she'd never arrived there.

Annette vanished from the same location her mother, Korrina Sagers Malinoski, disappeared from nearly one year earlier, five days before Thanksgiving in November 1987. Steve said she left after an argument. When she did not show up for work, her boss went looking for her and found her car parked at the entrance to Mount Holly Plantation. Steve, who is Annette's stepfather, worked as a caretaker at the plantation. The family lived in a cabin on the property, which encompassed 6,000 acres.

Steve discovered a penciled note at the bus stop after Annette was reported missing. The note was addressed to him and said, "Dad, Mom came back. I have to go with her. Give the boys lots of kisses and hugs and also you to. Love, Annette." Handwriting experts determined that the note was written by Annette. There has been no other sign of either Annette or Korrina since 1988. Although several people had seen Annette at the bus stop that morning, no one saw anyone pick her up.

Authorities do not know if Korrina did in fact return for Annette; the child could have written the note under duress. Some theorize that Annette knew something about her mother's disappearance and was silenced, but there is no evidence to support any theory. One of Korrina and Steve's two sons said his parents argued frequently and some of their arguments were violent, that Steve was addicted to drugs. However, neither of the boys were old enough at the time to remember anything specific about their mother and half-sister's disappearances.

Steve moved to Florida several months after Annette's disappearance, giving up his rights to his two sons by Korrina. The boys were sent into foster care, were eventually adopted, and have since grown up and reconnected with their biological relatives. Steve maintains his innocence in his wife ands stepdaughter's cases. In 2000, an anonymous caller directed police to search for a body in Sumter County. Investigators took a cadaver-sniffing dog to the location, but found no sign of any remains.

Although Annette's case remains classified as a non-family abduction by many agencies, and it's unclear what happened to her and her mother, authorities believe it's likely that both Annette and Korrina met with foul play and neither of them ever left the Mount Holly Plantation after they went missing.

Her stepfather, Thomas Steven "Steve" Malinoski, didn't realize she was missing until that afternoon, when she didn't come home from school and he found out she'd never arrived there.

It's absurd that the stepfather's BS story would be repeated as fact. It is obvious that he killed Annette. Maybe he was molesting her, or maybe she discovered that he had killed her mother as well. I don't know anyone gullible enough to believe his story.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back