Deadly Bushfires in Australia, 2019/2020

Scientific modelling 'not coping' with scale of current bushfires

Australia's bushfire crisis is so big that it's useless trying to predict how blazes will behave, incident controller says

NSW Rural Fire Service commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons said the fires in New South Wales on New Year's Eve exceeded all predictions.

"We saw extraordinary fire behaviour with fires, five of them, burning at the emergency warning alert level from 8:00am or earlier," he said at a press conference on Thursday.

"Those fires spread at what we call the absolute worst case scenario, which typically is not what happens when it plays out on the ground."

He said the RFS had rerun a number of the models and forecasts, as they do routinely.

They are expecting conditions on Saturday to be even worse than on New Year's Eve.

I could never become numb to the horror that is continuously unfolding everyday since November because every day it’s progressively getting worse.

Thank you to our NZ and Canadian friends who have been helping, some are heading home and others are taking their place.

I could never become numb to the horror that is continuously unfolding everyday since November because every day it’s progressively getting worse.

Thank you to our NZ and Canadian friends who have been helping, some are heading home and others are taking their place.
Hopefully tomorrow won't be as bad as New Years Eve & that a lot of people have listened to the warnings & evacuated

Nov 26, 2019
Video shows a heroic Australian woman brave raging flames to save a badly wounded, crying koala from a bushfire.

Video shows a heroic Australian woman brave raging flames to save a badly wounded, crying koala from a bushfire

View attachment 223414
A hero firefighter has been praised for rescuing six vulnerable koalas from being incinerated by a raging bushfire
That poor little koala succumbed to his injuries:

Bushfire koala ‘Lewis’ dies in hospital

3B612819-A60A-430C-9E72-990DC2214AE6.jpeg

Killed firefighter honoured at funeral
Slain firefighter Geoffrey Keaton's 19-month-old son Harvey is presented with his father's posthumous Commissioner's Commendations for Bravery and Service award by NSW Fire Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons at his funeral. Mr Keaton died while on duty at the Green Wattle Creek fireground. (NSW RFS)

How big are the fires burning in eastern Australia? Interactive map

This map helps to show the area destroyed. I'm from England but live in Queensland, luckily there are no fires near me. If I put the map over London, it's the equivalent to everywhere I ever lived in England being destroyed.

The weather conditions today are supposed to be terrible for the areas already affected. Very hot, very dry, very strong winds. Thinking of everyone further down south!!

One problem was No power - no EFTPOS.
Our friend arrived in Narooma caravan park for the Christmas break and stayed on the beach with his wife and 18 mth baby. With nothing.

Only because he had cash money he was able to get fuel at midnight and head home.

Scientific modelling 'not coping' with scale of current bushfires

Australia's bushfire crisis is so big that it's useless trying to predict how blazes will behave, incident controller says

NSW Rural Fire Service commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons said the fires in New South Wales on New Year's Eve exceeded all predictions.

"We saw extraordinary fire behaviour with fires, five of them, burning at the emergency warning alert level from 8:00am or earlier," he said at a press conference on Thursday.

"Those fires spread at what we call the absolute worst case scenario, which typically is not what happens when it plays out on the ground."

He said the RFS had rerun a number of the models and forecasts, as they do routinely.

They are expecting conditions on Saturday to be even worse than on New Year's Eve.

Its terrifying. I never understood what such massive fires were like until reading a horrific book about it. https://www.amazon.com/Under-Flaming-Sky-Hinckley-Firestorm/dp/1493022008

Now I’m scared when I hike in canyons for fear of something starting that I can’t escape.

I’m so sad for Australia. And the poor sweet animals. I can’t bear to think of them.

My mom immigrated to Australia as a teen after WWII ravaged Holland. They lived there 7 years before my grandpa got a job opportunity in California. But we still have dear friends there (although all in the west). So it holds a special place in my heart. Very sad for all of you over there.

Oh this makes so sad! :( And it's so scary just to read about it although I'm far away.

In New South Wales alone, more than 4 million hectares of land is on fire or has been burnt. This is more than four times the size of the fires which ripped through Brazil's Amazon rainforest last year.
It is estimated 500 million animals have died in the fires. This includes many species native to Australia such as koalas and kangaroos, and there are fears entire species have been wiped out.

500 million animals! Terrible :( Poor babies.

Prayers to all the heroes who battle every day to save humans and animals.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood
Back