Deadly Bushfires in Australia, 2019/2020

I agree everyone has an opinion right now, I just thought it was a great article. And very much agree with what he has stated, not just because he wrote it. Although the back burning/hazard reduction topic is fuzzy, the premise is there. I don't think there is a single opinion out there, political, environmental, etc, that is clear and non-subjective right now. The benefit of being human is we each can choose what opinion we want to have :)
People are suffering and there's politics brought into this? Why? No response needed, I'm not in a good frame of mind to continue in this thread with finger pointers who are not impacted by these fires and want to push an agenda. Such a damn shame. :(

ENelLDpUwAEULJR

eden-wharf.jpg

A summary of the bushfire season nationwide
7712df8a80798ba424a0df4c5ed91141

Sarah McPhee

AUSTRALIA’S CATASTROPHIC 2019-20 BUSHFIRES SEASON:

NSW

• 18 people dead
  • 150 bushfires burning, 64 uncontained
  • More than 3.6 million hectares burned, greater than the size of Belgium
  • 1365 homes confirmed destroyed but number expected to rise significantly
VICTORIA

• Two people dead, seven missing
  • About 40 bushfires burning
  • More than 970,000 hectares burned
  • 330 structures confirmed destroyed but significantly more expected
SOUTH AUSTRALIA

• Three people dead
  • 15 bushfires burning, four of significance
  • More than 200,000 hectares burned
  • 88 homes confirmed destroyed but number expected to rise significantly
QUEENSLAND

• About 30 bushfires burning
  • 250,000 hectares burned
  • 45 homes confirmed destroyed
WESTERN AUSTRALIA

• 30 bushfires burning
  • 1.5 million hectares burned
  • One home confirmed destroyed
TASMANIA

• 23 bushfires burning, three of significance
  • 30,000 hectares burned
  • Two homes confirmed destroyed
NORTHERN TERRITORY

• No current bushfires
  • Five homes confirmed destroyed
ACT

• No bushfires burning
  • Significant smoke haze from interstate blazes
– AAP

Fears dozens of properties lost overnight

People are suffering and there's politics brought into this? Why? No response needed, I'm not in a good frame of mind to continue in this thread with finger pointers who are not impacted by these fires and want to push an agenda. Such a damn shame. :(

It's human to let people express their frustrations in times of tragedy. I think this is a very balanced thread IMO, everyone has been respectful and all our hearts are with those suffering as they should be

NSW Southern Highlands town of Wingello gutted in middle of the night

Horrifying images have emerged of fires sweeping the NSW Southern Highlands, south of Sydney.
Towering flames, sparked by an ember attack from a fire front burning kilometres away, desecrated at least four homes in Wingello, a town between Sydney and Canberra.

NSW Southern Highlands town gutted in middle of the night

It's human to let people express their frustrations in times of tragedy. I think this is a very balanced thread IMO, everyone has been respectful and all our hearts are with those suffering as they should be
There are members here who are directly affected by these fires, so maybe have compassion for them and keep politics and the likes of Hildebrand, the studio ten stud, out of it and starting a conversation that doesn't belong here. Or are the members excluded and can't express their feeling of frustration and fear and tiredness because that's too real?! I thought this thread would be about what's happening, keeping people up to date, as I live on fnm app, but no, got to have the respectful political agenda of 'I told you so!"
Shame, shame, shame! :/

https://7news.com.au/news/bushfires...BdWn4J74LwudpRuRjUaojE-ok2GvKKPCiaSrKPL_DWLl8

New South Wales Rural Fire Service Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons is "the man for the job" according to his predecessor.

"I chose him specifically to be an assistant. He was then and is now a professional and clear thinking manager in terms of fire behaviour."

"While his professionalism is more than up to scratch, it's his compassion that sets him apart from the group," Koperberg said.

A trait that was learnt through heartbreak.

"Shane lost his father to a bushfire and has firsthand knowledge of the grief these things cause," he said.

"I think, as a consequence of that, he's very understanding of people who have lost loved ones and their needs."

0c5d86e2fe25fa30b1c658aa24c4685d44ef2cf9.jpg

This man , Shane, is a true leader.

https://7news.com.au/news/bushfires...BdWn4J74LwudpRuRjUaojE-ok2GvKKPCiaSrKPL_DWLl8

New South Wales Rural Fire Service Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons is "the man for the job" according to his predecessor.

"I chose him specifically to be an assistant. He was then and is now a professional and clear thinking manager in terms of fire behaviour."

"While his professionalism is more than up to scratch, it's his compassion that sets him apart from the group," Koperberg said.

A trait that was learnt through heartbreak.

"Shane lost his father to a bushfire and has firsthand knowledge of the grief these things cause," he said.

"I think, as a consequence of that, he's very understanding of people who have lost loved ones and their needs."

0c5d86e2fe25fa30b1c658aa24c4685d44ef2cf9.jpg

This man , Shane, is a true leader.

He truly is. He's felt the heartbreak so personally yet is very professional. You can see how he would be calming and reassuring to those directly impacted right now, that someone has their back :)

There are members here who are directly affected by these fires, so maybe have compassion for them and keep politics and the likes of Hildebrand, the studio ten stud, out of it and starting a conversation that doesn't belong here. Or are the members excluded and can't express their feeling of frustration and fear and tiredness because that's too real?! I thought this thread would be about what's happening, keeping people up to date, as I live on fnm app, but no, got to have the respectful political agenda of 'I told you so!"
Shame, shame, shame! :/

PrimeSuspect, my thoughts are with you, I am more than happy to listen to your feelings, frustrations & fear.

I am not in a direct fire zone , but have so much empathy for those who are. I've been listening to the scanner app for weeks, if not months. It's heartbreaking the things you hear ,the desperation in a fire fighter screaming for help & the poor fire control responding with there is none, over & over & over again........... can't imagine the people actually living it.

Everyone feels so helpless, I've donated to the RFS, now I'm getting a donation going for our local brigades, for basic things they need, like water, snacks, face wipes, P2 masks etc.............it's not much but it's something .

Our country is hurting , people are hurting , lets just get thru this together x

What rough area are you in???

Video report from Fire & Rescue 242 Bundanoon with a brief overview of the bushfire crisis here last night!

This is some of what I was listening too, it got all a bit to much when 2 fire appliances were trapped with 10-15 cars...............thankfully they went into protection & all survived.

Their bravery & courage is amazing

PrimeSuspect, my thoughts are with you, I am more than happy to listen to your feelings, frustrations & fear.

I am not in a direct fire zone , but have so much empathy for those who are. I've been listening to the scanner app for weeks, if not months. It's heartbreaking the things you hear ,the desperation in a fire fighter screaming for help & the poor fire control responding with there is none, over & over & over again........... can't imagine the people actually living it.

Everyone feels so helpless, I've donated to the RFS, now I'm getting a donation going for our local brigades, for basic things they need, like water, snacks, face wipes, P2 masks etc.............it's not much but it's something .

Our country is hurting , people are hurting , lets just get thru this together x

What rough area are you in???
Thank you drsleuth, I'm in the Blue Mountains and know another member who is too. We had it coming from one side, now from another. :( It's wonderful reading about all the donations and the help given, I've donated too, it's practical and eases that feeling of hopelessness. The firies and their support team are amazing people, and it's times like these where goodness shines.
I'm sorry for being harsh but I don't think this is the time to discuss politics, I didn't expect it, at least, wait until it's all over or visit a political site, imo. Hoping for good lot of rain because sprinkling showers hinders the backburning, so frustrating.
I'm not panicking, I'm remaining calm, just probably shouldn't let Hildebrand get to me, I would never have read his opinion piece if it wasn't posted here.
Maybe, when time moves on some members affected by fires might post in this thread, just to let us know they're ok and what they've experienced, as I will too in the next week or so.

Thank you drsleuth, I'm in the Blue Mountains and know another member who is too. We had it coming from one side, now from another. :( It's wonderful reading about all the donations and the help given, I've donated too, it's practical and eases that feeling of hopelessness. The firies and their support team are amazing people, and it's times like these where goodness shines.
I'm sorry for being harsh but I don't think this is the time to discuss politics, I didn't expect it, at least, wait until it's all over or visit a political site, imo. Hoping for good lot of rain because sprinkling showers hinders the backburning, so frustrating.
I'm not panicking, I'm remaining calm, just probably shouldn't let Hildebrand get to me, I would never have read his opinion piece if it wasn't posted here.
Maybe, when time moves on some members affected by fires might post in this thread, just to let us know they're ok and what they've experienced, as I will too in the next week or so.

PrimeSuspect, we are all thinking of you and those affected. This is a national disaster that is impacting and will impact everyone, and I can't imagine what you must be going through.

There may be posts you don't want to read or posts from people specifically that you don't want to read. I think most people on WS are the same. Just skip them and focus on what you need to keep safe and to get through the immediate threats. Take care and keep us posted.

I want to say to you people who lives there, you are not forgotten. People here in Sweden talks about this fire at bus stops, others sharing info on facebook. I think this should be a global concern.

ttps://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/Wb2AOK/inte-en-skogsbrand--ar-en-atombomb

(Swedish newspaper)

On a sidenote about climate. We have winter here in scandinavia and it should be arond -10 to -20 celsius in January but Norway had +19 degrees celsius and that is tempertures we have in the summer

Double heating record - 19 degrees in Norway | tellerreport.com

Twenty veteran California firefighters are heading to Australia as the first US ground crew to battle out-of-control wildfires that have killed at least 23 people.
The Angeles National Forest crew will deploy from Los Angeles on Monday (local time), the US Forest Service reports.
The US has sent dozens of managers to Australia already, but this team is thought to be the first that puts shovels in the ground to dig fire breaks, starts back fires with drip torch cans, and hikes dusty miles in rough terrain.
"I'm looking forward to the opportunity to reciprocate to our Australian brothers and sisters for the same assistance they've given us for many years," fire technician Jonathan Merager said.
Australia and New Zealand have been sending firefighters to the United States for more than 15 years, the Forest Service says.
The most recent example was in August 2018, when 138 arrived

California firefighters headed to Australia to battle bushfires

Twenty veteran California firefighters are heading to Australia as the first US ground crew to battle out-of-control wildfires that have killed at least 23 people.
The Angeles National Forest crew will deploy from Los Angeles on Monday (local time), the US Forest Service reports.
The US has sent dozens of managers to Australia already, but this team is thought to be the first that puts shovels in the ground to dig fire breaks, starts back fires with drip torch cans, and hikes dusty miles in rough terrain.
"I'm looking forward to the opportunity to reciprocate to our Australian brothers and sisters for the same assistance they've given us for many years," fire technician Jonathan Merager said.
Australia and New Zealand have been sending firefighters to the United States for more than 15 years, the Forest Service says.
The most recent example was in August 2018, when 138 arrived

California firefighters headed to Australia to battle bushfires

Yay, I love hearing them on the scanner, one of the firies signed off the other day with a " hooroo " & I wondered if he had a little chuckle to himself & had to ask what it meant!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back