Found Deceased AL - Paighton Houston, 29, left bar with 2 men, Birmingham, 20 Dec 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so the latest news may make it seem more likely that there was possible drug use. (Although we can't determine for sure.) So that is leading me to some practical questions. Can you fine folks help me make a list of possible reasons someone NOT guilty of harming PH, would go the effort of moving her body then burying her?

I'd like feedback of both why a friend would do this, or why a stranger would do this. It just seems very extreme, when people who OD are saved ever day by having emergency medication administered. I feel that there is still a huge piece of the puzzle missing. Seems that it won't be simply a relapse/OD.

I asked everyone in my family how they would react if they were with a friend who OD, or partying with a stranger who OD. Not one could think of any scenario in which they would bury the victim.
It's been said in the thread that folks up to criminal activities with a record (on probation maybe) not wanting to get caught with an OD'd person. Maybe they, being high, weren't thinking straight.

Here is a scenario...partying at house. Folks all over, in different rooms. Some passed out or out of their minds high. Several hours later, home owner finds a dead partier. There are folks all over, some with records and/or on probation. There may be drugs, lots of cash and weapons around, who knows. But they can't have LE show up there. They then dump the body down the street at a known vacant home. Trying to distance themselves from the death.

"The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office will be continuing this investigation and prosecution will be through the Bessemer Division of Jefferson County.”
The sheriff’s office added, “On Thursday January 2, 2020 information developed by investigators working the missing persons case of 29 year old Paighton Houston led them to a home on Chapel Drive in Hueytown. Investigators from the Birmingham Police Department, Trussville Police Department, Jefferson County Sheriff Office and Hueytown Police Department worked together to narrow down the possible location of the body of Paighton Houston. On January 3, 2020, Investigators executed a search warrant at the home and located human remains on the property. Those remains were transported to the Jefferson County Coroner’s Office and later identified as the remains of Paighton Houston. The examination is not complete and there has been no determination of the manner and cause of death. The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office will be continuing this investigation and prosecution will be through the Bessemer Division of Jefferson County.”

Paighton Houston Found Dead: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

I'm assuming the writer meant, "if there is prosecution, it would be handled by Bessemer"?

Did autopsy give approximate date of death? If that could have been addressed in the autopsy report but wasn't, it should raise serious question about B'ham LE. If the approximate date of death was after 12/20-12/21, I think kidnapping/murder is most probable. I'm no expert, but from from my limited knowledge it seems that the state-of-the-art is advanced enough to be pretty accurate on a deceased body. It seems like this is a critical data point and they should have brought in an expert if they were not competent enough in this to do it themselves.
This has some good info from CDC governing of Death Certificates. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/vsrg/vsrg02-508.pdf

It's been said in the thread that folks up to criminal activities with a record (on probation maybe) not wanting to get caught with an OD'd person. Maybe they, being high, weren't thinking straight.

Here is a scenario...partying at house. Folks all over, in different rooms. Some passed out or out of their minds high. Several hours later, home owner finds a dead partier. There are folks all over, some with records and/or on probation. There may be drugs, lots of cash and weapons around, who knows. But they can't have LE show up there. They then dump the body down the street at a known vacant home. Trying to distance themselves from the death.
Unfortunately that happens too often. Probation or not.

Ok, so the latest news may make it seem more likely that there was possible drug use. (Although we can't determine for sure.) So that is leading me to some practical questions. Can you fine folks help me make a list of possible reasons someone NOT guilty of harming PH, would go the effort of moving her body then burying her?

I'd like feedback of both why a friend would do this, or why a stranger would do this. It just seems very extreme, when people who OD are saved ever day by having emergency medication administered. I feel that there is still a huge piece of the puzzle missing. Seems that it won't be simply a relapse/OD.

I asked everyone in my family how they would react if they were with a friend who OD, or partying with a stranger who OD. Not one could think of any scenario in which they would bury the victim.
I think it is difficult for sober-minded people to put themselves in the place of someone in that situation, however not only do drugs alter your decision-making skills but they alter your normal emotions. People take drugs everyday to numb their feelings. So I would expect if you were under the influence of some drugs, empathy and compassion, while normally paramount, could be lost in the panic.
I did do my fair share of pot 30 years ago, so I get the euphoria and also paranoia that you can feel. Here is a scenario I can imagine:
It's the holidays and everyone is happy and celebrating and PH is not immune to wanting to be like everyone else this time of year. Whether it was planned, or alcohol induced, she fell off the wagon. Whether it was just friends, or a mix of people known to her or not, when the s$%t hits the fan, your immediate instinct is "MAKE IT GO AWAY!" You start taking steps before you have even thought about a plan and before you know, things have moved passed the point of no return. If others there were also in recovery, they immediately realize that their slip will be found out and BOOM! there goes the job (and all that goes with that,) the family support, everyone's trust that was so hard to gain back, and possibly even custody of your kids if that is a factor. If strangers (bad dudes...dealers, etc.) were there, they might threaten PH's friends and say, "Uh no...you are NOT calling the popo." Also, the "mob" mentality comes into play. Everyone expects everyone else to stop this thing. And when others are involved it is easier to lessen your sense of responsibility. Just some thoughts. Could be totally off base. All theoretical and MOO.

My point was that I have still not seen any info about bar employees coming forward to say yes, they also saw the two heavy set black men. I have no doubt they were interviewed, but it's what they did not say (or hasn't been released in MSM anyway) that is more curious to me.
Curious to me as well. However, It could be they were expected to be quiet.

When I watch that, it makes me somewhat question her sobriety. I see a fragile, uncertain soul, who is trying her hardest, but isn't quite there yet. JMO

Those can also be characteristics that can be applied to all who suffer from an addiction. It's a lifelong battle and each day holds some uncertainty to it. From my own experiences with family that has dealt with addiction, a relapse does not mean that treatment didn't work or that the person lost their willpower to live.

That being said, it's still too early for me to theorize what happened. I do think it's weird that they didn't release a clothing description of the men she allegedly left with

LE isn't going to keep us updated on their investigation, unfortunately...I just wonder. All we know is what ph told her family, right? Doesn't make it fact. Sad, but we may never get cause or manner of her death. This is aweful.

Personally, I think it ups the likelihood that she OD’d. They’re waiting on tox screen, would be my best guess.

There may very well be physical indications of an OD, but ME needs tox results to conclusively rule on the COD/MOD.
This is my best speculation, too. I learned something on Dr. Phil, of all shows, that is a good tip for everyone to know, even drug dealers.

If I am not mistaken, I think that Dr. Phil said that anyone can ask a pharmacist for NARCAN. You don't need a prescription. You can just ask for it. So, if you saw someone overdosed on the side of the road, you could potentially save a person's life.

Just think. If PH had overdosed and they did have NARCAN on hand, they could have potentially saved her life.

I didn’t do a program, but after realizing that what I would have portrayed at the time as recreational, was actually something i relied heavily on daily, I knew stopping was my only option. The withdrawals were brief yet horrendous. The recovery was long and solemn. It was well over a year before I even started to feel normal. The stigma took years to wear away. What I can tell you from personal experience is that avoiding at all cost, places and people who you knew in that life is paramount. I won’t say that going out is never a possibility, or that you never truly recover. I could set on top of a mountain of my drug of choice today, and never waiver. I have no desire. If anything sobriety led me in the total opposite direction. Today I don’t drink or smoke or partake in anything stronger than an aspirin. To live with a clear head has become my drug. Total normalcy is my stability. I will say, that a year in, or 2,3, and maybe even 4 would have been too soon for me to have been in that environment. I can also tell you that with or without a program, those who make it understand that total divorce of the elements of their addiction however long it takes, is all that will get you to your next sober day.

Off-Topic but I feel important: I beg you to repost this comment whenever you can, in the comments on news stories of addiction or overdose. Your comment could save lives! MOO.

This is my best speculation, too. I learned something on Dr. Phil, of all shows, that is a good tip for everyone to know, even drug dealers.

If I am not mistaken, I think that Dr. Phil said that anyone can ask a pharmacist for NARCAN. You don't need a prescription. You can just ask for it. So, if you saw someone overdosed on the side of the road, you could potentially save a person's life.

Just think. If PH had overdosed and they did have NARCAN on hand, they could have potentially saved her life.

yes:
Search Results
Featured snippet from the web

In every state, residents can purchase NARCAN ® Nasal Spray directly from a pharmacist under a Statewide Naloxone Standing Order or Collaborative Practice Agreement. Let NARCAN ® Nasal Spray be there to help you. NARCAN ® Nasal Spray is available without a prescription from your doctor at all major pharmacy chains.
how to get narcan ® nasal spray

https://www.narcan.com › patients › how-to-get-narcan

I grew up in California when heroin was the crap of use. 50 plus years ago, I helped ice down a man that odeed...horrific, still vivid in my mind. Knew peeps that went thru treatment and had to stay on methadone to quell. I know Paighton went to Christian based therapy. Not sure what all that entailed, just know heroin is super addictive by observation...

Gosh sorry to post 3 in a row, but as to the case, I feel a homicide is more likely than any other scenario, MOO of course.

Just my opinion that if someone OD'd, and someone was "concerned" they wouldn't wrap someone up and put them in a shallow grave, and then not say anything day after day after day, but would have called 911 anonymously as soon as they were able. I could see covering up the face of the (possibly) deceased, but the shallow grave for an OD victim and wrapped up? Nope.

I'm thinking homicide. JMO

Original quote:
Now I think it's more likely her text DID mean "I might have taken too much and I can't count on these people to get me help" but she wanted to wait until she was sure she needed help before she disappointed her mom.

I disagree. I know a lot of addicts, a LOT, some sober now and some not. When a person realizes they have used to much, there is VERY a little time at that point. Meaning by the time they realize this they usually only have time to call 911 or shout for help before going unconscious.

If she did OD, I think she knew who she was with and they sent the next to indicate that she didn't.

It's hard to believe that if someone ODs the people with them would be so stupid as to panic and try to hide the body. However, we know there's a lot of stupid out there. I don't know what kind of legal trouble one could get in for being with someone who overdosed but, if that's what happened, they're definitely in trouble now.

I can't help but wonder if the tox report is going to turn up fentanyl. As if addicts aren't in enough danger, that stuff has brought the danger to a whole new level.

I don't know if this is considered MSM or not, but if you are to believe the reporting here, then this statement is quite revealing, IMO.....

"Paighton had gone for drinks with a few friends to see live music at a bar called the Tin Roof, police said."

and then this.....

"She appeared to leave willingly, police said."

The Chilling Last Text This Alabama Woman Sent Before Disappearing Over a Week Ago

I wouldn't put much stock in it. What "police said" could have been based on the assumption that people who go to bars do so to drink. If she did drink, it would sure explain good judgment and caution going out the window.

"The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office will be continuing this investigation and prosecution will be through the Bessemer Division of Jefferson County.”

I'm assuming the writer meant, "if there is prosecution, it would be handled by Bessemer"?

It was actually a part of a direct quote from the Sheriff's office, so does not appear to be journalistic interpretation.

Yes! I am 6+ years out. I finally moved 8+ hours away & stayed there for years & never speak to those ppl. Never will again either. I do know the reality. Its a very DRASTIC and expensive measure for some, however. Solemn is a very good description of the process, pain would be too lol I wont even entertain the idea I could sit

SBM
I wish you all the best. For me it’s over 20.
As for an OD, I have not presumed at any point that this is an OD. Possible sure. Probable, in my opinion no. Regardless of her state of sobriety, my only insight about drug use is that if she had a history, then her behavior ie. leaving with strangers if that’s what happened would be consistent with people who use. In no way am I blaming her. No one deserves this. I put no man beneath me as I have been all the way down that if I looked up I could see the bottom of rock bottom. Some of get lost. There is no shame in that. Having said that, when we’re lost we make poor decisions. This is the only theory I have on how drug use could have contributed. The rest in my opinion is definitely a malicious ack perpetrated by another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
L1752