OH OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t believe how much this case is upsetting me. But if...
If this turns out to be related to his online activities - Harley could be any of our kids. The parents could be the last ones to know if kids are sharing inappropriate info online. Gd says “Grandma, all of this just because one kid goes missing.” Then it really hit me how many more kids are unprotected online. There are probably so many kids whose lives are affected by inappropriate Social Media presence. Because it’s not just one kid. It’s all our kids. Education and knowledge is vital. Spreading the word about these dangers is powerful! Awareness...

I just keep thinking about Jayme Closs. I don't think LE was going to find her. If she hadn't figured out a way to escape and save herself we might have never heard from her again. If HD is held somewhere against his will I pray that he has the strength, desire, and opportunity to get away.

Can you confirm where you "heard" this? Because it's not true.

All I have been reading on this case are news articles, so I will see if I can find it again. I could have misread, but when I first read it I thought it was odd because the wording was something to the effect of "usually the family is the one that calls us in but that's not the case here" So, I will go looking for it to see if I misread

Sandusky Register

Texas EquuSearch sometimes assists police departments, but “nine times out of 10 the family contacts us,” he said. There was no confirmed contact from Harley’s family, he said

Raider being: David Rader, director of the the Texas EquuSearch Midwest Chapter,

EBM:added link to MSM and quote from source and identifier of individual quoted

Last edited:
Counselors are at Port Clinton High School as the search for missing 14-year-old Harley Dilly continues. Dilly was last seen December 20. A reward for information leading to his return is more than $10,000.

Video from reporter outside the PC high school today: Fox 8 News

One of the scenarios I’ve been unable to get out of my head involves trafficking. I’ve theorized that perhaps someone was able to build trust through one of Harley’s various social media accounts and convince him to leave. In this scenario, Harley would have been furnished with a burner phone for those times when his parents punished him by taking his phone away. Maybe a trafficker (posing as a trusted online friend) convinced him to just leave everything behind and start over elsewhere, with promises of a better life and made plans to pick him up that day. Maybe Harley, understandably nervous, couldn’t decide if he should take the chance to run away with his internet buddy, and thought to himself “I am going to tell my Mom that I’m sick. If she lets me stay home, I will stay, but if she won’t, I will take that as a sign that I am meant to do this.”

I know there are a lot of “maybes” in this hypothetical situation, which is why I am not absolutely convinced this is the case. However, one thing that has always stood out to me is that Harley does not appear to be wearing a backpack or carrying any books in that photo. I really doubt he had any intention of going to school that day. MOO.

Keep in mind that he was a Freshmen in High School. There are midterm exams the last week of classes, so he had exams and if he only had one, he would not have needed his backback or books etc. This was not a regular school day anymore. Maybe he did not even have any classes that day anymore. These are questions that I am sure the high school clarified.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

My hope is that he's alive somehow and can be placed in a different situation if he's not happy.
Sad to think that he may have voluntarily run away and met foul play.
Which is what the family seems to think happened.
They thought he'd come back and even went and dined out Fri. night while he was missing.

But why did he run (if he left of his own volition ?) in the first place ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I imagine you are one of thousands of parents who go through a similar experience at any point of time. It’s crazy out there. I’m not sure if you’ve read the entire thread but my daughter deleted TikTok and my gd’s account and videos. I just walked by and saw her making a video of her and her dog. I stopped and asked what the heck she was doing since I knew she couldn’t access TikTok. She said she loaded Likee. I watched her and her friend’s video. So very cute where they can put magical stickers and glitter and such on herself and her dog. She had a princess crown on her dog with ribbons and bows on her tail. Cute. They are just playing catch. It’s her first video. Then I walked in here and looked it up.

This is what I found from Common Sense Media:
WHAT PARENTS NEED TO KNOW
Parents need to know that Likee - Formerly LIKE Video is a free video creation and editing app similar to TikTok that lets users star in their own music videos and share them online. All posts are public, though users can control who can message them: everyone or friends. Because of suggestive content and viewers being able to send messages to individual video makers, it's best for older teens. Viewers can also share and comment on other users' video content, which could result in inappropriate or mean commentary, though teens can control who messages them. There are parental controls available that are meant to filter content and disable features like private messages and live broadcasts. However, during our review, plenty of mature content was still served up, even with parental controls enabled.

Then I went to the app download site itself and read the reviews. It’s not appropriate to share those here but...
Oh Hell No!
I’m going in there right now to talk to her and tell daughter on her when she gets home from work. No more downloads of any app until we get some kind of handle on this. Eta: Likee deleted. No need to wait for daughter. Grandma has got this. No argument from gd. Good thing, cause: Too bad-So sad. It’s gone.
Daughter and I will work together to find appropriate music video editor app. Any suggestions?
No idea on suggestions, but make sure to tell the kids even if THEY aren't taking inappropriate videos, they need to be aware that they aren't in their friends' videos either. The problem with TikTok is that everything can be saved and shared.

Although this case has been so scary and eye-opening. My husband and I have always stressed to the boys about how potential colleges and employers find all these things -- your behavior, language, anything you say or do or post or tweet can be caught on camera or screenshot and is out there forever. They don't have cell phones or social media accounts and we try to monitor tablets and video game consoles and apps. Stay off your friends' tiktok and their cell phone videos even if you don't have one. More like don't screw up your future or getting into college. But I honestly don't even think our focus has been on predators.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I've been following this just like the rest, hoping that Harley will be found. There is somebody that has posted some interesting comments on social media (not sure if it's been mentioned before) about us all not knowing everything and that the truth will come out eventually.
If we're all on the wrong page, what on earth could it be that has happened to Harley? And what aren't the police releasing that they should be?

This is a local news site and as such I believe it's msm and approved.
National and local msm are o.k. to be linked to; afaik.

Search-and-rescue group using cutting-edge imaging software in search for missing Port Clinton teen - FindlayOhio.org

Any news about a search is good.
Sad that it took so long, though.
Yes, that is a legit site. I was referring to another site posted earlier with a reference to “reply 26”, not this one. I won’t link to it because it’s not within TOS.

ETA: I reported it this morning, as I’m sure others here did as well. Quite frankly I’m baffled as to why it has still not been deleted.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I've been following this just like the rest, hoping that Harley will be found. There is somebody that has posted some interesting comments on social media (not sure if it's been mentioned before) about us all not knowing everything and that the truth will come out eventually.
If we're all on the wrong page, what on earth could it be that has happened to Harley? And what aren't the police releasing that they should be?

I feel like we are on the wrong page. The one thing that still does not sit right with me is that mom saw him on the morning of Dec 20/then she didn't see him/then she sorta saw him. Also the long wait on reporting him missing. I am not saying she did anything but it doesn't make sense. I have a 14 year old son, and this case is scary and sad.

Hi Everyone,

Like you, this thread has kept me on the edge of my seat. Logic and stats inform that finding Harley is now a recovery vs. a rescue. *However*, my now almost ten years (!) on this site has taught me you never, ever EVER give up hope as long as no earthly remains have been recovered. There are a small percentage that defy the odds and return to us without a toe tag. Why not Harley?

Let’s double down on our resolve to celebrate his impending homecoming!

amateur opinion and speculation

I'm curious whether anyone knows if investigators have looked into instances of foundation pours, related excavations, and/or infills/backfills done in the Port Clinton area in the last two weeks of December?

If so, were cadaver dogs used in any such searches, and would they be effective if earthmoving equipment had been used to infill/backfill?

Would the TES technology be of any use in such a case?

I'm curious whether anyone knows if investigators have looked into instances of foundation pours, related excavations, and/or infills/backfills done in the Port Clinton area in the last two weeks of December?

If so, were cadaver dogs used in any such searches, and would they be effective if earthmoving equipment had been used to infill/backfill?

Would the TES technology be of any use in such a case?
Excellent line of questioning. Let us hope LE is pursuing this....

I'm gonna take an educated guess here and say that AS OF YET they haven't turned up anything from the video gathered from Business's and Residents in the area?

Also, why not verify the info regarding Thursday's school attendance??
New imaging software could help locate Port Clinton teen

Adkins would not say whether or not Dilly was in school on Thursday, December 19. Instead, he repeated what police have said, that investigators believe Dilly was seen on surveillance video just after 6am on Friday, December 20 heading to school.

If they were to be able to verify the attendance of afternoon classes (even with the friends father knowing that HD was at their house that night until asked to go home) they could try to get a better timeline and possibly even check video from the school around the time he was last seen there and then around the area til he showed up at the friends house.

IF HD wasn't at school it's possible he was creating a Bug out bag or Inch bag (I'm never coming home), and stashed it somewhere and then went to his friends house and from there went home. Then when his Mom sent him to school he grabbed his bag and went from there. (Just a thought of what COULD have happened)

HD seems to be a resourceful kid.

This is just MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members