Found Deceased AL - Paighton Houston, 29, left bar with 2 men, Birmingham, 20 Dec 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something keeps bugging me....with the wording of the text. Let me see if I can explain it to clearly convey what I'm trying to say.

WHY would PH use valuable, limited text time to say "I don't know who I'm with", when in fact the co-worker said she left with strangers. If she left with strangers, she OBVIOUSLY didn't know who they were, so why send a text stating the obvious?

Welp. That’s a sweeping generalization and not at all true, but I hope some day you get to meet someone who is clean that can change your mind. Yikes. I’m sorry you feel that way. o_O
Yes i agre. I surmise that comes from someone watching addiction from afar. The person they know of probably didnt follow the path they wanted for them. I can say addicts are incredibly seflish and in sobriety spend a lot of time making amends for past behavior to the point of mental & physical exaustion. IMOO, ppl that have such strong opinions of recovering addicts should stay away from them if the addict you know doesn't avoid you at all cost already. Stinking thinking keeps ppl down. So does ignorance.

I cant imagine dealimg with ppl in active addiction as a career path. That would leave a person very jaded indeed bc theu are selfish in active addiction especially with the rate of sustained recovery. But they're out here!

Something keeps bugging me....with the wording of the text. Let me see if I can explain it to clearly convey what I'm trying to say.

WHY would PH use valuable, limited text time to say "I don't know who I'm with", when in fact the co-worker said she left with strangers. If she left with strangers, she OBVIOUSLY didn't know who they were, so why send a text stating the obvious?

Jumping off this post:

Maybe she didn’t know that her friend saw her leave with these people? It was stated this allegedly was witnessed from across the room, right?

More importantly, perhaps this was her way of saying “I wish I could tell you whom I’m with but I don’t know.” In other words, if she would left out that out, the first question from the friend, had she received the message in time, would have been, “who are you with??” So maybe she just said upfront, I do not know who I’m with, cutting to the chase.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
Speculation abounds :)

I think she went to the bar. I think her coworker went too, and maybe even more than one coworker/friend.

I think she left the bar for reasons unknown, with the two men, maybe others. I don't have an issue with her, or the alleged men NOT being on camera. She, and her coworker who says she left with the two men, could very well have been standing in the parking lot when she left, or on the street having a smoke.....not necessarily IN the bar.

She may have simply been looking for a ride out of there, maybe with the promise of the two men to drive to another bar/location/back to her car.

I think it entirely possible that others became involved. She could have been doped by those with evil intentions (I think this entirely possible). Drug her up, sexually abuse, murder, then get rid of the body.

The thing I'm trying to figure out, is what led LE to the Pinewood Avenue location, near the tracks that run by Allison Bonnet park?

And secondly, if I were disposing of a body, I'd be REAL concerned about getting caught. So pulling in to that driveway on Chapel Drive, parking my car/van, and taking the time to do that would be risky.

I did notice a junkyard at the end of Chapel, about a football field away from the home where she was found.

I've also considered that a get together may have gone down right at the Chapel Drive home, she was there, being hastily buried by intoxicated/stoned individual(s) in the yard. Maybe the people living around there were used to the local yahoo's having parties there and thought nothing of it, or wished not to get involved.

Speculation abounds!

That is a good possibility (a get together may have gone down right at the Chapel Drive home, she was there, being hastily buried by intoxicated/stoned individual(s),
and that might also explain the “I think I’m in trouble” text. If she left the bar to possibly purchase drugs, maybe she sent that text after they arrived at that house location which she hadn’t planned on going there so she felt “she might be in trouble” but wasn’t exactly sure at that moment.

I think if she died in that house where she was buried, they would have spent days processing it. If she died in someone else's house (coworker's) we would know if police were there for any length of time. There could be a third location we are not aware of that they have searched, but dang, the media is probably following the detectives everywhere. I think she died in a car. Maybe they were doing drugs in a parked car (or not parked for that matter) and she OD'd or maybe there was a sexual assault and she was murdered. They have to get rid of her. Too risky going to where her car is if that is at the coworker's house. Somebody calls somebody who knows a place. Is it perfect, no, but they are panicking and every second they are with her body they are close to being discovered. I think there was a blanket or something in the car or they found one at the site. It was mainly used to move her as dragging is so much easier. (I put furniture on sheets all the time to move from room to room.) When they got to the backyard, they found the lowest place, and dragged her there. Saw all that trash and frantically threw what they could over her. Yes, I know the asst DA said "hole" and "buried" but "bury" can also mean simply to conceal, i.e., "she buried her face in her hands." And hole could be construed as low spot. Especially since the asst DA said she was not right at the body but a little farther away. I am sure the conversation back and forth was something like, "She's here buried under trash" so "buried" is the vernacular at the scene. Also, remember that this was the first live interview by any LE right when we all discovered the search was over. The asst DA was treading carefully not to reveal too much, and be respectful to PH's family. She would not have said, "We found under under a pile of trash in the backyard." She did not volunteer that she was wrapped in cloth, only answered when asked. Again, she was not right at her body so as to say sheet, or tarp, etc...We are parsing every word of everything said by any legit source. They are probably reading all this laughing at us because so much was said in the moment and off the cuff. JMHO

About that text...

I believe the family is the source for that text, but what isn't clear to me is how they actually got the text.

Did the friend who received the text forward it to someone in PH's family? Or just pass on the gist of the message?

I ask partly because I've seen the texts in two slightly different formats in different media. Most commonly, I've seen 'idk', but I've also seen "I don't know" spelled out without any indication that the reporter has 'edited' the text without saying so.

I haven't seen any indication from LE that they saw the actual text, although I'm sure they did.

I believe PH had a possibly weakened heart from earlier bad encounters with drugs. I thought it was possible that she'd had a heart attack or something similar, but it seems to me that if that were the case, the autopsy would have revealed it. I also considered the sad possibility that she might have gotten sick and choked, but again, it seems like the autopsy would have revealed that.

I actually get where this sentiment comes from. Personally, I didn’t advertise my sobriety. It was long slow and lonely. I think the people you are referring to are more likely faking recovery than living it. The amount of shame and guilt I carried was unmeasurable. I didn’t talk about it, went to great lengths to avoid talking about it. Kept my head down, worked double time, because I felt worthless. I felt like I had to make up for my wasted life. I kept this to myself. Most people I’ve known in this situation are similar. I don’t even like to hear jokes about the good ol’ days for lack of a better way of putting it.

BBM You are describing one of my loved ones. He's a newly recovering alcoholic. His entire demeanor has changed, he's quiet, withdrawn and just "there" and the holidays have been rough on him. I am glad that he's going to meetings and able to express what's going on in a safe environment.

This seems like a good point for me to combine a couple points I've been meaning to make. The first is about "how long drugs stay in a body" for the purpose of determining cause of death. People like to believe that science is precise but medicine is science that involves the human body and determining cause of death especially when it comes to toxins versus so-called "natural causes" is a judgement call on the part of the medical examiner based on a vast number of indicators. We don't like to think that way, we want to believe that we will know for with absolute certainty what killed every single decedent on these forums but the truth is that we don't. The human body is simply too complex.

Second and related, about drug abuse. When you have a person who is known to have abused dangerous drugs, opioids especially, that instantly makes determining cause of death more complex. Toxins can be detected in a body for centuries, just like I said before. People have been buried for years and when new evidence comes up that casts suspicion on their wife (usually - sorry if that sounds sexist), they can be exhumed and determined to actually have been poisoned because they have cyanide in their liver. However, in the case of a toxin that a person has known to have willingly consumed it becomes more complex. If a little kid dies and has any heroin in their body then almost certainly someone has committed a serious crime. Not so for a known addict.

So. Realize that if you become a habitual drug abuser, not only does it make you more likely to die through your own misadventure, it also makes it easier for someone to poison you and get away with it.

It’s victim bashing. Paighton had addiction issues. She recovered. And I don’t believe it’s true.
That is completely incorrect, the original post was emphatically NOT victim bashing. The original post was about using addicts and whether or not they would simply dump a body rather than bury it. The poster made a salient observation, and some posters personalized it. Here is the "offensive" o.p. in case anyone missed it:
Found Deceased - AL - Paighton Houston, 29, left bar with 2 men, Birmingham, 20 Dec 2019 #4

No apologies necessary, the poster even provided one, yet the false accusations continue.

I cant imagine dealimg with ppl in active addiction as a career path. That would leave a person very jaded indeed bc theu are selfish in active addiction especially with the rate of sustained recovery. But they're out here!
My husband works full time in recovery and case management, and while he can be jaded at times, his heart and soul is in it, he loves his clients, and he would never say something like that. Maybe it's because he is also sober and has been on the other side and has empathy...but man I just feel bad for people like those who have such a sad and skewed view of life.

That is completely incorrect, the original post was emphatically NOT victim bashing. The original post was about using addicts and whether or not they would simply dump a body rather than bury it. The poster made a salient observation, and some posters personalized it. Here is the "offensive" o.p. in case anyone missed it:
Found Deceased - AL - Paighton Houston, 29, left bar with 2 men, Birmingham, 20 Dec 2019 #4

No apologies necessary, the poster even provided one, yet the false accusations continue.
Please explain to me how "These people are a selfish bunch, even when they get clean, it is all about them, how awesome they are to recover...on and on...honestly, drug addicts are too self absorbed to care about burying someone." is not offensive...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88