Leslie Van Houten up for parole again

Leslie Van Houten was granted parole on January 30. This is the third time the California parole board has recommended she be paroled. Jerry Brown reversed the board the previous two times. Unless Gavin Newsom reverses it, Leslie Van Houten will be a free woman this year.
The Parole Board really sucks...pardon my French...
Newsom maybe did the first right thing of his whole life...there's always a first time

p.s. I don't really understand why a lifer should be released on parole. I mean...if you are sentenced to spend your whole life in prison this means you can't be released before you die. It should be a simple concept to understand...really simple...

Hey, mickey! :)

Here's my only concern with that:

LVH is going to have instant, overnight celebrity status if she gets paroled.

She will have lucrative book offers, tv/radio offers, public speaking offers, etc.

In other words, the woman is going to be rolling in dough if she gets out of the pokey.

LVH will not experience financial hardship, IMO. She's a smart, savvy woman.

So there's that.

The other issue, though, to me, really is that she was initially sentenced to death and then when CA abolished the DP, her sentence got commuted to life in prison.

This is JMO here, but I really don't think anyone guilty of a murder who was sentenced to death should ever be allowed to walk out of a prison.

As always, though, I greatly respect your opinion!

You make some very good points in your post, which provide great food for thought!
Totally agree! Someone initially given DP should not EVER come up for parole -- that makes no sense. Period. And I think you're also correct in saying how the press, the media -- including book publishers and cinema personnel -- will be perched at the doorway when she walks out -- they'll be all dressed in green as in the big books, interviews, men and women who want to romance her, you name it. She'd be well taken care of, no worry.
No parole. :mad: No parole.:mad: No parole.:p No parole. :p

I am reading the story by the youngest family member, Dianne Lake. It is nauseating. Charlie was like a god to them.

According to her, it sounds like the murderers loved what they were doing and Leslie had no clue if Rosemary was already dead.

I am not done with the book but I highly recommend it to see about the daily life of the cult.

It seems like the people who stayed with Charlie all had issues. They were not your average middle class person

I read Diane's book and I agree. These were not average middle class kids. They were all messed up. Even Leslie had issues before she ever met Manson.

ETA: Leslie has admitted she knew people were going to die that night. She knew what happened at the Tate house the night before. She was happy to go along. She also stated that the more she stabbed RL, the more fun it was.

You took that out of context. Bugliosi stated that the killings in general were part of this race war Manson was trying to start, one that was communicated to him on the White Album. The LaBiancas were complete strangers and not specifically targeted, nor was Tate. They went to Tate's because Tex knew the layout and Melcher used to live there. Melcher was the one that Manson hated the most, because he reneged on the record deal that Charlie believed he was promised. Manson also believed that Lotsapoppa was connected to the Panthers and that the Panthers were going to get him and the family for the attack. It is convoluted, but this all stems from Charlie not getting a record deal and then deciding that the world had to pay. I don't think he bought into any of that helter skelter crap. He thought he had killed a Panther and they were coming for him.
Exactly right about the Panther thing and the Melcher/no-record-deal thing.
On the night of the Tate murders, Manson told Tex to go to Melcher's house and kill everybody who was there. And they did.

An X on her forehead and a smirk on her face...

California Gov. Gavin Newsom overruled a parole board's decision to free Charles Manson follower Leslie Van Houten on Monday, marking the third time a governor has stopped the release of the youngest member of Manson's murderous cult. Van Houten, 69, is still a threat, Newsom said.

LINK:
Charles Manson follower Leslie Van Houten denied parole for 3rd time
  • 338x600

From left, Manson followers Susan Atkins, Patricia Krenwinkel and Leslie Van Houten walk into a morning court session in 1970. When Manson carved an "X" into his forehead during the trial, his "family" members followed suit. ( Los Angeles Times)
    THE CRIME

She stabbed victim 14 times
    Van Houten has been considered the least blameworthy member of the group and has been portrayed by supporters as a misguided teen under the influence of LSD on the night of the slayings.

A former homecoming queen from Monrovia, she did not join in the Aug. 9, 1969, murders of Sharon Tate, the pregnant wife of film director Roman Polanski, and four others at the Benedict Canyon home that Tate was renting.

But the following day, Van Houten was part of a group that stormed into the LaBiancas' home in Los Feliz. As Charles "Tex" Watson stabbed Leno LaBianca, Van Houten and another woman held down Rosemary LaBianca.

After Watson stabbed Rosemary LaBianca with a bayonet, he handed a knife to Van Houten. She testified to stabbing Rosemary in the back at least 14 more times. The blood of the victims was used to scrawl messages on the walls, as had been done at the Benedict Canyon home.

1050x591

Leslie Van Houten, shown in 2002
  • Is she still smiling?

Last edited:
This woman did a horrible carnage in 1969...she shouldn't be released from prison until the natural end of her life.
In addition she was initially sentenced to death (and this is another good reason to deny her any possibility of parole)

JMO, LVH should go out of prison feet first in a pine box. She has stated she knew people were going to die that night and she willingly went along and she willingly participated.

I'm not so sure that CM himself believed in Helter Skelter (the race war), but I don't think Bugliosi was wrong in his presentation of Helter Skelter as the motive because CM influenced and manipulated his followers into believing they had to start a race war by murdering totally innocent people, in order to get Helter Skelter going. I think Helter Skelter was a strategic move by Bugliosi to show CM was guilty of conspiracy, because CM didn't physically kill anyone. But was he the mastermind behind it all? I believe he was.

CM held a huge grudge against Terry Melcher, was afraid the Panthers were coming after him, and Bobby B. was in jail for the Gary Hinman murder and Charlie wanted him out because I think CM was afraid Bobby B. would implicate him in that murder. I think these things were driving CM at the time of the murders, but as for his followers - they thought they were starting a race war by murdering people and leaving cryptic messages in the victims' blood at the crime scenes.

All that said, LVH was one of CM's followers who thought she was helping Charlie start a race war the night she went along for the ride to the LaBianca residence. She has stated herself that she knew people would die that night. She acted in an extremely disrespectful, arrogant fashion throughout the trial. There was no remorse shown. All of this, plus the fact she could stab someone 14 times to help facilitate a race war made her a very dangerous person then and it makes her a potentially very dangerous person now. There is no fixing this kind of "crazy". Ever.

All JMO

JMO, LVH should go out of prison feet first in a pine box. She has stated she knew people were going to die that night and she willingly went along and she willingly participated....
... All of this, plus the fact she could stab someone 14 times to help facilitate a race war made her a very dangerous person then and it makes her a potentially very dangerous person now. There is no fixing this kind of "crazy". Ever.

All JMO

Well stated. It is a wonder why in the world a parole board would recommend turning her loose. But then that is California thinking I suppose. I am hoping that she is allowed to stay in prison and set a record for serving the longest time in history.

Well stated. It is a wonder why in the world a parole board would recommend turning her loose. But then that is California thinking I suppose. I am hoping that she is allowed to stay in prison and set a record for serving the longest time in history.

I think Leslie can be very charming. In her interviews she is very clever about blaming Manson, and talking about how young she was at the time. How sorry she is. She's behaved herself in prison. I think she has managed to "con" them. Thankfully, two governors have not been conned by Leslie. Let's hope that continues.

She was manipulated and controlled by Charles Manson who was also a expert pimp. Leslie was a teenager. She has served her time. She has completed every possible course in prison and has been an ideal perfect prisoner.
She should be let free. She is no longer a danger to society. What is a danger to society, is electing the same two party system every 4 years who continue to be bipartisan on war. The American military is responsible for killing over 35 million people in the past 40 years in 37 different nations. So it is perfectly fine to have politicans sign off on death everyday and we don't blink an eye. Go Team USA.

FrPITWCFwNrdiYm-800x450-noPad.jpg

Manson and Leslie Van Houten

Leslie Van Houten (CDC#W-13378)'s next parole hearing will be on July 23, 2020. Please sign, comment, & SHARE this petition to let the CA parole board know you do not want her released into free society.

LINK:
Sign the Petition

Just wondering... Johnny, do you think the Hitlerites would have ceased their atrocities simply because conchies/pacifists wagged their fingers and said "don't do that, it's naughty!"?

California Governor Newsome gets something right...

201129191828-02-leslie-van-houten-charles-manson-parole-california-governor-trnd-exlarge-169.jpg

Leslie Van Houten attends her parole hearing at the California Institution for Women in Corona, California in 2017.

California governor denies parole for Manson family member Leslie Van Houten for the fourth time
November 30, 2020

(CNN)Leslie Van Houten, a Charles Manson follower convicted in a 1969 killing spree, was denied parole for a fourth time in four years on Friday.

The California parole board in January recommended parole for Van Houten. California Gov. Gavin Newsom said in a parole release review obtained by CNN that he believes Van Houten "currently poses an unreasonable danger to society if released from prison at this time."

"Given the extreme nature of the crime in which she was involved, I do not believe she has sufficiently demonstrated that she has come to terms with the totality of the factors that led her to participate in the vicious Manson Family killings," Newsom wrote in his decision.

201129191459-01-leslie-van-houten-charles-manson-parole-california-governor-trnd-restricted-exlarge-169.jpg

Manson family members and murder suspects Susan Atkins, Patricia Krenwinkle, and Leslie van Houton.

Newsom added that despite Van Houten's productive time in prison -- she earned a bachelor's and master's degrees and completed "extensive" self-help programming -- the negative factors of her involvement in the murders outweighed the positive factors.

Van Houten, 71, is serving a life sentence at the California Institute for Women in Corona after being convicted for a pair of 1969 murders and conspiracy to kill five others.
She was 19 years old when she met Charles Manson and became part of his murderous cult that came to be called the "Manson Family," according to parole documents...

LINK:

Leslie Van Houten: California governor denies parole for Manson family member for the fourth time - CNN

some-think-the-manson-family-murders-were-a-cia-conspiracy-photo-u2

Charles Manson, Leslie Van Houten's Mentor

The "known" Manson family murders involved the violent killing of eight persons and an unborn baby. Leslie Van Houten was convicted of murder and assisting those murders.

But were there other murders committed by Manson's followers that were never solved or prosecuted? Here are a few possibilities. What does Leslie know about them?

----------------------------------
James Sharp and Doreen Gaul

James Sharp, age 15, and Doreen Gaul, 19, were found murdered in a Los Angeles alleyway in November 1969, not far from where the Tate-LaBianca murders were committed. And like those murders, Sharp and Gaul's involved "extreme overkill," a similarity immediately noted by police investigators.

The strangest possible connection to the Mansons, though, is religious. Both Sharp and Gaul were involved with a splinter group of Scientology known as the Process Church of the Final Judgment, or "The Process" for short. Manson himself was connected to The Process, borrowing some of their ideology for his own cult and maintaining contact with them after his conviction.

Whether Sharp and Gaul's murders were committed by the Mansons or had anything to do with their religious involvement is unknown, as the case remains unsolved and with no apparent motive.

---------------
Reet Jurvetson (aka "Sherry Doe")

On November 16, 1969, the body of an unidentified young woman was discovered by a bird watcher, dumped on an embankment off Mulholland Drive in Los Angeles. She had been stabbed 157 times. Known simply as "Sherry Doe," she went unidentified for 46 years, until a mortuary sketch of the victim was recognized by family friends of Reet Jurvetson in 2016.

The MO of her murderer was very similar to the "overkill" employed by the Manson Family, so even before she was identified, police suspected that she had been a Manson victim. After her identification, detectives questioned now-81-year-old Manson in prison, but the cult leader proved unhelpful.

There is another suspect in the case, an unidentified man whom Reet had left home to meet, but Manson's silence on the issue doesn't mean much. Throughout his incarceration, Manson liked to play mind games, so Reet's family and the police may never know who really killed her.

-----------------------
Marina Habe

Marina Habe was kidnapped from her mother's driveway shortly after Christmas Day in 1968 by at least two people driving a black sedan. Two days later, her body was discovered in the underbrush off Mulholland Drive; she had been murdered, the victim of multiple stabbings. The medical examiner ruled that she had been stabbed by more than one person.

Strangely, one year later, Reet Jurvetson's body would be dumped on almost the exact same spot - as if someone who killed young women had come to like that particular stretch of Mulholland Drive.

Because of the very similar MOs of Habe's and Jurvetson's murders, their proximity to the Spahn Ranch, and their similarity in turn to the Manson family's infamous "overkill," it has always been suspected that Habe was a Manson victim along with Jurvetson. But there has been little evidence to go on, and her case has never been solved.

----------------
Ronald Hughes

Each of the Manson Family members tried for the Tate-LaBianca murders had their own defense attorney. Ronald Hughes, the lawyer for Family member Leslie Van Houten, disappeared on a camping trip during a recess for the trial in November 1970.

Hughes had last been seen by hikers near the Sespe Hot Springs in Ventura County, CA, after his camping companions heeded an order to evacuate due to flash floods. They said he was alone and away from the area of the flooding. But when the court reconvened the Family's trial on Nov. 30, 1970, Hughes failed to appear. Police searched the camping area for Hughes after the flooding subsided, and the judge in the case eventually assigned Van Houten a new defense attorney.

Hughes's badly decomposed body was discovered wedged between two boulders on March 29, 1971, the same day the jury returned the death penalty against all defendants in the Tate-LaBianca murder trial. He had to be identified by dental records, and no official cause of death was ever recorded due to the state of his body at the time of discovery.

While most people think Hughes's death was accidental, at least one Family member, Sandra Good, claimed that he had been killed by Manson followers as retaliation for some slight he'd caused to Manson during the trial.

Van Houten received a life sentence for her crimes.

LINK:

10 Creepy Unsolved Mysteries Surrounding The Manson Family

some-think-the-manson-family-murders-were-a-cia-conspiracy-photo-u2

Charles Manson, Leslie Van Houten's Mentor

The "known" Manson family murders involved the violent killing of eight persons and an unborn baby. Leslie Van Houten was convicted of murder and assisting those murders.

But were there other murders committed by Manson's followers that were never solved or prosecuted? Here are a few possibilities. What does Leslie know about them?

----------------------------------
James Sharp and Doreen Gaul

James Sharp, age 15, and Doreen Gaul, 19, were found murdered in a Los Angeles alleyway in November 1969, not far from where the Tate-LaBianca murders were committed. And like those murders, Sharp and Gaul's involved "extreme overkill," a similarity immediately noted by police investigators.

The strangest possible connection to the Mansons, though, is religious. Both Sharp and Gaul were involved with a splinter group of Scientology known as the Process Church of the Final Judgment, or "The Process" for short. Manson himself was connected to The Process, borrowing some of their ideology for his own cult and maintaining contact with them after his conviction.

Whether Sharp and Gaul's murders were committed by the Mansons or had anything to do with their religious involvement is unknown, as the case remains unsolved and with no apparent motive.

---------------
Reet Jurvetson (aka "Sherry Doe")

On November 16, 1969, the body of an unidentified young woman was discovered by a bird watcher, dumped on an embankment off Mulholland Drive in Los Angeles. She had been stabbed 157 times. Known simply as "Sherry Doe," she went unidentified for 46 years, until a mortuary sketch of the victim was recognized by family friends of Reet Jurvetson in 2016.

The MO of her murderer was very similar to the "overkill" employed by the Manson Family, so even before she was identified, police suspected that she had been a Manson victim. After her identification, detectives questioned now-81-year-old Manson in prison, but the cult leader proved unhelpful.

There is another suspect in the case, an unidentified man whom Reet had left home to meet, but Manson's silence on the issue doesn't mean much. Throughout his incarceration, Manson liked to play mind games, so Reet's family and the police may never know who really killed her.

-----------------------
Marina Habe

Marina Habe was kidnapped from her mother's driveway shortly after Christmas Day in 1968 by at least two people driving a black sedan. Two days later, her body was discovered in the underbrush off Mulholland Drive; she had been murdered, the victim of multiple stabbings. The medical examiner ruled that she had been stabbed by more than one person.

Strangely, one year later, Reet Jurvetson's body would be dumped on almost the exact same spot - as if someone who killed young women had come to like that particular stretch of Mulholland Drive.

Because of the very similar MOs of Habe's and Jurvetson's murders, their proximity to the Spahn Ranch, and their similarity in turn to the Manson family's infamous "overkill," it has always been suspected that Habe was a Manson victim along with Jurvetson. But there has been little evidence to go on, and her case has never been solved.

----------------
Ronald Hughes

Each of the Manson Family members tried for the Tate-LaBianca murders had their own defense attorney. Ronald Hughes, the lawyer for Family member Leslie Van Houten, disappeared on a camping trip during a recess for the trial in November 1970.

Hughes had last been seen by hikers near the Sespe Hot Springs in Ventura County, CA, after his camping companions heeded an order to evacuate due to flash floods. They said he was alone and away from the area of the flooding. But when the court reconvened the Family's trial on Nov. 30, 1970, Hughes failed to appear. Police searched the camping area for Hughes after the flooding subsided, and the judge in the case eventually assigned Van Houten a new defense attorney.

Hughes's badly decomposed body was discovered wedged between two boulders on March 29, 1971, the same day the jury returned the death penalty against all defendants in the Tate-LaBianca murder trial. He had to be identified by dental records, and no official cause of death was ever recorded due to the state of his body at the time of discovery.

While most people think Hughes's death was accidental, at least one Family member, Sandra Good, claimed that he had been killed by Manson followers as retaliation for some slight he'd caused to Manson during the trial.

Van Houten received a life sentence for her crimes.

LINK:

10 Creepy Unsolved Mysteries Surrounding The Manson Family

Even though she is totally nuts, I do believe Sandra Good in that Ronald Hughes was murdered by Manson followers. The "slight" was that Ronald Hughes was representing Leslie Van Houten and Hughes was going down the path of bringing Charles Manson into the murders and this infuriated Manson. Manson wanted all the girls to testify they had acted alone without involvement or influence from Manson. The girls were all willing to testify Manson had no influence or involvement.

I'm of the opinion that the Tate house was selected because Terry Melcher had lived there and Manson was furious with Melcher because Melcher did not help launch Charlie's music career. We know that weeks before the Tate murders, Gary Hinman was murdered by Robert Beausoleil. Hinman had supposedly sold Beausoleil low-quality drugs and Beausoleil wanted his money back and Hinman kept insisting he did not have the money. Manson came to Hinman's house and slashed Hinman's face and ear with a sword, causing a very serious injury. Beausoleil has said that after Charlie did that, Hinman was asking for medical assistance and Beausoleil felt he could not take him in for help without getting everyone, including Manson, in trouble. He said he felt he had no way out other than to kill Hinman.

Shorty Shea is another Manson family victim. He was on Charlie's "hit" list because Manson suspected Shea snitched to the police about stolen cars at Spahn ranch, which resulted in a police raid and arrests of the family on the ranch.

I've never heard of the other victims you referenced. If they had any connection to the family and somehow got sideways with Charlie, they may have been on his "hit" list and his family members would have gleefully carried out their murders.

After all the years that have passed since these horrific events, the argument still remains as to whether Manson's followers who murdered were good people who were under the influence of drugs and Charlie Manson or if they were just dangerous sociopaths. My thoughts are they are all sociopaths, including Leslie VanHouten. She had significant problems in her life, beginning as a teenager, before she ever met Manson. She eventually ended up with the Manson family. I think she was attracted to their parasitic lifestyle and their orgies and their drugs. She very willingly went to the LaBianca house, knowing that people would be murdered. She wanted to prove herself to Charlie. She showed absolutely no conscience or remorse after the murders. She did her best to make a mockery of the trials.

IMO, she's had many years since then to figure out how to act like a "normal" person and how to feign remorse so she could attempt to gain her freedom. If she truly felt remorse, JMO, she'd just hang it up, accept her sentence and spare the families of the victims her repeated parole attempts. She doesn't care about them. She only cares about Leslie and this is what makes her a continued danger to society.

All JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back