OH OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I'm understanding correctly, I originally thought that what you meant was you get a call if your child either is absent altogether, or is late arriving to school (tardy). But now it seems you are saying that you get a call if your child is late for ANY class throughout the day? Is that correct? I have never heard of this! What teacher has the time to report every late student of every class to the office, and what office staff has time to call every parent of every student who is late arriving to class? Something is weird here lol...

Sorry, to clarify: I have 2 kids, 2 potential calls a day per kid = 4 potential robo-calls a day (not including special announcements and other things the school sends voicemails out for). 1st for morning classes and 2nd for afternoon classes. This is regardless if I've called them in sick or not. It if they are tardy/absent from any class in either the morning or afternoon. (Roughly 3 classes in morning and 3 in afternoon that they could be late for. They also call when they are in the counseling office or something like that and are late or tardy, even when they have a pass). Again, this is from my district in MI, but I've been in a few districts and it's been similar throughout the last 5-10 years. In my days, the secretary would call my parent to confirm. And trust me, I tried once to fake like I was my mom when I skipped. They called my mom at work to double check and caught me in my lie. I never skipped school again...

I guess my main point, or opinion if you will, is that school calls have completely desensitized me. I don't find anything odd with a parent not thinking too much into it. It could be nothing more than that. MOO

If I'm understanding correctly, I originally thought that what you meant was you get a call if your child either is absent altogether, or is late arriving to school (tardy). But now it seems you are saying that you get a call if your child is late for ANY class throughout the day? Is that correct? I have never heard of this! What teacher has the time to report every late student of every class to the office, and what office staff has time to call every parent of every student who is late arriving to class? Something is weird here lol...
I graduated in 1989 and our classes had Scantron sheets for attendance. About 10 minutes after class started, the sheets were picked up by students working the "office" class period and scanned. The school knew who was late or cutting by the following period. Some kids picked up attendance sheets daily to bring home to their parents.

I get a call when my teen misses or is late for a class around 6pm these days.

Like you, I'm incredibly disturbed by the videos where he's obviously filming himself in the bathtub.

I love being a member of a free society, and I'm loathe to cede personal liberties, but c'mon. Enough already.

Surely SM sites can do a better job of policing themselves when it comes to obvious minors posting questionable content.

Stuff like that needs to be monitored and scrubbed by YT.

If parents won't monitor their kids, then companies are going to need to monitor their subscribers.

JMO.

Yeah -
I guess my main point, or opinion if you will, is that school calls have completely desensitized me. I don't find anything odd with a parent not thinking too much into it. It could be nothing more than that. MOO

When my son was in school they papered us to death - everyday he was bringing home a stack of nonsense, fundraising, special groups, volunteer stuff, menus...was ridiculous. The school nurse never thought anyone was ever sick enough to go home. Just lay down for 10 minutes & back to class ...unless there was puke. I sent my kid to school with his cell phone to call me if he ever needed me. This was before smart phones. It was a Motorola flip phone. I think for teens, that’s all they should have. It would certainly make their lives easier, safer and able to focus on the world around them. Now I’m stunned at the number of young people that can not hold a face to face conversation, properly introduce themselves, shake a hand, or look someone in the eye when talking.

I graduated in 1989 and our classes had Scantron sheets for attendance. About 10 minutes after class started, the sheets were picked up by students working the "office" class period and scanned. The school knew who was late or cutting by the following period. Some kids picked up attendance sheets daily to bring home to their parents.

WELCOME TO WEBSLEUTHS CORNLOAF!

Yeah -

When my son was in school they papered us to death - everyday he was bringing home a stack of nonsense, fundraising, special groups, volunteer stuff, menus...was ridiculous. The school nurse never thought anyone was ever sick enough to go home. Just lay down for 10 minutes & back to class ...unless there was puke. I sent my kid to school with his cell phone to call me if he ever needed me. This was before smart phones. It was a Motorola flip phone. I think for teens, that’s all they should have. It would certainly make their lives easier, safer and able to focus on the world around them. Now I’m stunned at the number of young people that can not hold a face to face conversation, properly introduce themselves, shake a hand, or look someone in the eye when talking.

Agreed! The stories I've heard from my children about the bullying and what not, it doesn't even shock me anymore! Being online and being able to be whoever you want seems to be much more appealing to these younger kids than anything else. They are obsessed with technology! I remember being excited when I got my first pager! Oh the days...

Agreed! The stories I've heard from my children about the bullying and what not, it doesn't even shock me anymore! Being online and being able to be whoever you want seems to be much more appealing to these younger kids than anything else. They are obsessed with technology! I remember being excited when I got my first pager! Oh the days...

in my opinion, parents today want to be their kid’s “best friend” more than they want to parent. They’ve lost the ability to say, NO. They buckle to peer pressure & keeping up with the Jone’s more than their kids. It’s a dangerous change in our society. Narcissistic and self absorbed is no way to go through life. While is normal for teenagers, they used to outgrow it. Now arrested development is the new normal.

Wow. 10 years apart. Wonder how that changed the family dynamics. I was not thrilled at about that same age when my parents announced another sibling. I thought, great another one I had to take care of!

Keep in mind that Harley's little brother is also his nephew. His parents adopted his Older sisters baby.

As for the change in the family dynamics that's not really known that I'm aware of. My brother and I are 11 1/2 years apart in age and he's the older of us. He tried to get me in trouble bit he sticks up for me, we now defend each other and he will be 50 soon. My mom said it's almost like having 2 families. NOW, my kids are 9 years apart in age and my son helps out with his sister. Siblings will fight, but don't dare let anyone else try to fight with her because he WILL protect her. She is on the mild spectrum of the autism scale.

It's always hard to know just how things go in someones family since not everyone is open abt it. my kids are 18 and 9 but I should have a 14 y/o as well. I had a miscarriage though so that one was lost. This case is one that has many ups and downs it seems and a lot of things that aren't being told so it seems.

So Harley Dilly - walked to school everyday with wet hair?
Friday, not feeling well Harley gets up EXTRA EARLY, GETS HIS SHOWER, GETS DRESSED and asks to stay home, mom says no. He then leaves to walk to school an HOUR EARLY.

No way that happened.

Given that scenario, it’s more likely Harley wanted to avoid someone Friday morning. Someone was threatening him either overtly or psychologically. He was trying to avoid someone that morning. That’s why I asked earlier if any other students were absent & had a beef with him? One of their parents have an issue with him?

or there was a significant issue/fight/disagreement that morning and he stomped off

or mom has no idea, she was sound asleep & doesn’t want to admit it.

Detective Timmons: This is out of character for him. He has a very particular schedule. He eats certain foods, he bathes several times a day, sometimes 4 or 5 times a day, if he goes to a friend's house - he'll go to the house, return the next morning to bathe before going back to the friend's house to spend the day. So he stays around the house fairly often.”

Last edited:
Wow. 10 years apart. Wonder how that changed the family dynamics. I was not thrilled at about that same age when my parents announced another sibling. I thought, great another one I had to take care of!
If you look around you will find info about whether or not this is their biological child. There is an interesting story there. EDIT: hippiemom is right

Just to touch on the idea of him being contacted on the dark web, hasn't it been established that HD only had a phone and chromebook from school. Surely neither of these devices could have connected to the dark web?

Just to touch on the idea of him being contacted on the dark web, hasn't it been established that HD only had a phone and chromebook from school. Surely neither of these devices could have connected to the dark web?
It's incredibly unlikely that a 14 year old boy from ohio who spends most of his time playing madden is involved in the "dark web".

Oh Wow...at my son's school we get a call if he isn't there and I didn't call him in (fat chance of that ever happening but they had an issue with their system so EVERY parent got that call and they got flooded by pissed and worried parents) and my daughters school, they call me ONLY if my daughter needs a refill on meds, but then again she's in 2nd grade. IF she isn't at school I have made arrangements prior or called her in. If either of my kids miss a class, well my son goes to an alternative school that's on lock down while they are there and my daughter's school (the one I graduated from 20 years ago) has a system where the student can't leave unless they are signed out. When my son was there and if he was late to a class, he had to tell them where he was. I got a call 1 day from them because he was in the bathroom and walked in the room AS THE BELL RUNG. I asked them if they were going to follow him to the bathroom next time since it was right after lunch, that was the last call like that I got.

We have a podunk school here. My graduating class was 32 kids. The class that just graduated from this school last year....12, maybe 13, and they wanna get on me b/c my kid went to the bathroom and made it to class right as the bell was ringing? They have a 2 min leeway usually. I told the teacher to think abt how I was in school (it was one of my former teachers) and yeah they thought twice about calling me abt the bathroom.

Harley made some dumb decisions in his videos with what he wore, or didn't wear YES, I will agree. BUT, it's my understanding he had health issues. Could the school have been calling to tell his Mother that he had some type of Medical Emergency at school?? Didn't he have a list of health concerns?? Just wondering because everywhere I have turned recently I have heard different things. I am trying to get the correct information. BUT, I am just trying to say that there could have been other reasons OTHER than saying "Mrs Dilly your son isn't at school today is everything OK?" and yet a phone call went unanswered. A school has MANY reasons to call a parent OTHER than the attendance of a child. Medical issues, Disciplinary issues, Grades, Tests (it was midterms if I understand) and the list goes on and on. We saw the video of HD streaming from his school comp. The school could have wanted to address that yet again.

Sorry for my very long and windy opinion....it's as windy as the weather here in Illinois today

It's incredibly unlikely that a 14 year old boy from ohio who spends most of his time playing madden is involved in the "dark web".

It hasn’t been established what devices Harley had at all. We know of a broken phone and a school chrome book. I think there are likely others as neither could support some of the live streams he was doing.

Also, IME kids his age are all about the dark web. Especially if they are gamers / gaming traders. And Harley definitely was that.

Still don’t think this is an internet abduction though. Not for one minute.

I agree. So this unknown person that HD went to meet. The clues have to be on his phone/internet history. Unless he had been given a new phone I guess. I'd literally be identifying anyone and everyone who interacted with him on sm. It's not like he had 1m followers...

I agree. So this unknown person that HD went to meet. The clues have to be on his phone/internet history. Unless he had been given a new phone I guess. I'd literally be identifying anyone and everyone who interacted with him on sm. It's not like he had 1m followers...
Or, and in MOO, what happened most likely involved people he knew and was close to in person.

My son's bus was late coming in one day, I called BOTH schools, the school he sits in during the day didn't answer they had all already left for the day....here I am having a panic attack in the parking lot while waiting for him and his sister. I watch all bus's BUT his. I call the HS portion since I am waiting in front of the Elementry and get told "oh they had a transportation issue, they are running late and will be here shortly" ok, I breathe. They are 15 mins late, no problem. I see the replacement vehicle that he is supposed to be in....my son isn't there...here comes my panic again, it's a good thing I can't drive anymore b/c at this point I can't see straight. I call my mom and she tells me that the van (what they were put into) dropped him off there at her place. I abt wet myself I'm so relieved but I still can't breathe 100%. I get my daughter when she is out, get her in the car, her dad drives to my Moms and I wrap my son in a hug so tight I hear "Mom I can't breathe" I told him welcome to my world. 30 min's of panic b/c the school didn't tell us abt a transportation issue and that they were dropping him off somewhere other than the school!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy