Iran - Ukrainian Airlines Boeing 737 crashes, 180 possible fatalities, Tehran, 8 Jan 2020

It may have been this man, in which case I am sure he is not feeling very lucky at all: Tehran crash: Ticket mixup leaves Ottawa man in terminal while his wife gets aboard doomed flight

so this might be where the confusion stemmed from (maybe this is why he didn't have a tickey):

Ardalan Ebnoddin-Hamidi, his wife Niloofar Razzaghi, and their teenage son Kamyar Ebnoddin-Hamidi are confirmed to have been on the flight. Razzaghi’s name does not appear on the official flight manifest, but multiple sources have confirmed to the Star she was on board.

Ontario university students, Alberta family among Iran plane crash victims | The Star

Last edited:
Airline: Unlikely that crash was due to "error"

Live updates: Iran plane crash investigation - CNN

From CNN’s Anastasia Graham-Yooll

Given the level of the crew's experience, it's unlikely that the plane crash was the result of error, Ukrainian International Airlines vice president of operations Ihor Sosnovsky said in a statement on Wednesday.

Tehran airport is anything but a simple one. Therefore, for several years UIA has been using this airport to conduct training on Boeing 737 aircraft aimed at evaluating pilots' proficiency and ability to act in emergency cases. According to our records, the aircraft ascended as high as 2,400 meters. Given the crew's experience, error probability is minimal. We do not even consider such a chance.”
The airline also released the names of the pilots and crew, who died in the crash.

The pilots were:

• Captain Volodymyr Gaponenko (11,600 hours on Boeing 737 aircraft including 5,500 hours as captain)
  • Instructor pilot Oleksiy Naumkin (12,000 hours on Boeing 737 aircraft including 6,600 hours as captain)
  • First officer Serhii Khomenko (7,600 hours on Boeing 737 aircraft)
The flight attendants were:

• Ihor Matkov, chief flight attendant
  • Kateryna Statnik
  • Mariia Mykytiuk
  • Valeriia Ovcharuk
  • Yuliia Solohub
  • Denys Lykhno

what is that? is it on FB?

Photos of 'rocket parts near wreckage of Ukrainian jet' that killed 176 in Tehran shared online | Daily Mail Online

(video at bottom of article)

DailyMail has posted one of them so I think it's okay.

There's also a video out there of a closed circuit camera (just type PS752 crash video into twitter search) You don't per se see the crash just a bright light and debris goes flying on fire.

(Also under this search you can find another video of someone driving recording the crash)

Photos of 'rocket parts near wreckage of Ukrainian jet' that killed 176 in Tehran shared online | Daily Mail Online

There's also a video out there of a closed circuit camera (just type PS752 crash video into twitter search) You don't per se see the crash just a bright light and debris goes flying on fire.

(Also under this search you can find another video of someone driving recording the crash)

That is pretty damning.

is it the 34 second one? I had seen that one thanks
hadn't seen the driving one though - that really showed how it lit up the night sky
did you see the explosion before it hit the ground?

here's one of the wreckage on fire
someone got to the site very quickly

Three Britons among 176 killed as plane crashes after take off in Tehran

Such great sadness to hear of all the lives lost in this tragic plane crash.

My heart goes out to all of their loved ones who are bearing this tremendous loss.

CBC Canada article about some of the passengers (adults and students) who were headed back to work and school from visiting relatives in Iran:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/63-canadians-dead-ukraine-crash-1.5418892

The most reasonable theory I've heard is that the plane flew into an area that had defensive measures set up to be triggered by incoming military-related planes/missiles/etc. into that airspace and that those measures were erroneously left in place while a passenger plane was in the airspace. In other words, they were set up to automatically take out incoming attacks, but inadvertently took out a passenger plane.

I agree after seeing the diagram in the DM article posted above.

I hope they didn't know what was happening. The pilots knew and some of the flight crew I think. But I hope the passengers didn't, esp. the kids. It was only 30+ seconds but it seems longer when you watch the video.

US-Iran tensions hamper Boeing disaster probe
"This accident will be investigated by Iran's aviation organisation but the Ukrainians can also be present during the incident's investigation," said Ali Abedzadeh, the head of Iran’s civil aviation authority."
Under international aviation rules, air crash investigations are led by the country where the accident happened."

Everyone raise your hands if you think Iran's "investigation" will uncover that Iran was involved.

"Five security sources — three Americans, one European and one Canadian — who asked not to be named, told Reuters the initial assessment of Western intelligence agencies was that the plane had suffered a technical malfunction and had not been brought down by a missile. There was evidence one of the jet's engines had overheated, the Canadian source said."

Wow, so they've already come to that conclusion? No need for an investigation.

Iirc, In past Aviation disasters we have had one poster here who has background in such that we relied on. I can't remember who it has been. Is that post person posting here now?

I think you may be thinking of @emirates1957 her posts were very knowledgeable and informative. She works in aviation and is greatly missed.

I tried to bring up her username but couldn’t even get it to come up...I wish she still posted, she was amazingly knowledgeable...

I just went thru the thread, am not seeing a link to a video done by someone driving. If anyone finds it can you PM it to me?

can you link any of those videos?

This is the best video I've seen so far. Click on the link, it goes to a Twitter video

خبرگزاری ایسنا on Twitter

Another video at this link

Iran plane crash: Video appears to show fiery before and after scenes

Video of a fiery object careening through the night sky is believed to capture the moments before a Ukrainian plane carrying dozens of Canadians crashed in Iran.

Ukraine International Airlines Flight 752 crashed just minutes after taking off from Tehran on Wednesday, killing all 176 people on board.

Last edited:
Vigil to be held at Mel Lastman Square tonight to honour victims of Iran plane crash
"Members of the community are planning to hold of vigil at Mel Lastman Square tonight from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. in memory of those who tragically lost their lives"

Some of the Canadian victims in a deadly plane crash in Iran are shown.

Darya Toghian, 22, was among those killed in the plane crash in Iran. Toghian was flying back for her second semester at George Brown College after spending the holidays in Iran. (Saghar Hojjatzadeh)

Mojtaba Abbasnezhad was pursuing a PhD in engineering at the University of Toronto.

Sadaf Hajiaghavand was a human resources student at York University. She was visiting her family in Iran.
"While the identities of all the victims killed in the crash have not yet been confirmed, school board officials said Wednesday that two high school students, Maya Zibaie, a Grade 10 student at Northern Secondary School, and 18-year-old Arad Zarei, a student at Richmond Green Secondary School in Richmond Hill, were passengers on the plane.

Sophie Emami, a senior kindergarten student at Lillian Public School, Arsam Niazi, a Grade 6 student at Pleasant Public School, Arnica Niazi, a Grade 3 student at Finch Public School, and Rahmtin Ahmadi, a Grade 4 student at Muirhead Public School, were also on board the plane, the Toronto District School Board confirmed Thursday.

Six students at the University of Toronto, identified as Mojtaba Abbasnezhad, Mohammad Asadi Lari, Zeynab Asadi Lari, Mohammad Amin Beiruti, Mohammad Amin Jebelli, and Mohammad Saleheh, were killed.

Twenty-two-year-old Darya Toghian, a student at George Brown College, and Sadaf Hajiaghavand, a human resources student at York University, are confirmed to be among the dead".

Could this information (danish news report) from Iran be the reason for the Ukrainian plane crash?

Iran advarer: Angreb på militærbase er bare begyndelsen (link to danish news report)

At the same time, he (Amirali Hajizadeh, head of Iran's Revolutionary Guard Air Force) said that during Wednesday's missile attack in Iraq, Iran used 'cyber attacks to turn off (US, ed.) Aircraft and drones' navigation systems.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back