New Here, Help deciphering acronyms

Sandyc409

Reaction score
Hello everyone I’m new hear and over the past few months there have been specific cases that have brought me to this awesome forum but never thought to sign up. I finally did ... there is such a plethora of knowledge and information here. I’m wondering if anyone could help me with deciphering some acronyms that seem to be repeatedly mentioned in a number of posts. Is there a cheat sheet somewhere? I have been searching the entire site (I could totally be looking for it in the wrong spots - I’m still getting acclimated with the site).

These seem to be the three acronyms I’m coming across and honestly cannot figure out what they count be:

- LE
- MSM
- MOO
- IMO

I can’t seem to find the rest but any others you think maybe be helpful please feel free to post, thank you. Happy Holidays ALL

Hello everyone I’m new hear and over the past few months there have been specific cases that have brought me to this awesome forum but never thought to sign up. I finally did ... there is such a plethora of knowledge and information here. I’m wondering if anyone could help me with deciphering some acronyms that seem to be repeatedly mentioned in a number of posts. Is there a cheat sheet somewhere? I have been searching the entire site (I could totally be looking for it in the wrong spots - I’m still getting acclimated with the site).

These seem to be the three acronyms I’m coming across and honestly cannot figure out what they count be:

- LE
- MSM
- MOO
- IMO

I can’t seem to find the rest but any others you think maybe be helpful please feel free to post, thank you. Happy Holidays ALL

Welcome!

I know there is a thread just for this. I believe it is on the first page of each case. If I’m wrong, could someone please correct me?

in the meantime:

LE Law Enforcement
MSM Main Stream Media
MOO My Opinion Only
IMO IN my opinion

HTH Hope that helps

- LE
- MSM
- MOO
- IMO

LE is Law Enforcement. IMO is In My Opinion.

Welcome!

I know there is a thread just for this. I believe it is on the first page of each case. If I’m wrong, could someone please correct me?

in the meantime:

LE Law Enforcement
MSM Main Stream Media
MOO My Opinion Only
IMO IN my opinion

HTH Hope that helps

THIS IS PERFECT!! Thank you so so much!! I’ll double check the threads in this group again but honestly these were the ones I kept getting stuck on. Which now I feel so silly that I couldn’t figure those out myself lol.

THIS IS PERFECT!! Thank you so so much!! I’ll double check the threads in this group again but honestly these were the ones I kept getting stuck on. Which now I feel so silly that I couldn’t figure those out myself lol.

Acronyms and abbreviations for names or a group of people can be hard to keep track of. There are ones I probably just ignore or did ignore until I finally googled or someone spelled out the phrase and I was like, "Oh that's what that mean,". at least you asked. Welcome to websleuths!

Why say that, courtesy? Same with bolding (Bolded by me?, snipped, etc)

Kind of a courtesy, yes. It also helps mods clean up the thread. If I’m reading a thread and see DBM (meaning the member themselves self deleted), I’ll hide the post so that the thread reads more fluidly and there aren’t needless empty posts for members to scroll through. Hope that makes sense :)

Why say that, courtesy? Same with bolding (Bolded by me?, snipped, etc)

Yes, courtesy has a lot to do with it. BBM (Bolded by me) indicates that the OP (original poster) or the quoted article did not originally put the bolding there...that it’s you making a point of emphasizing it. Snipped or RSBM (respectfully snipped by me) indicates that you have shortened the quoted post or article, either to highlight the point you are replying to or to adhere to the WS rule that we can’t quote more than 10% of material with a copywrite.

It gets easier to see how these acronyms are used, as you read. The one I took a long time to figure out (had to google it) was IANAL=I am not a lawyer, a disclaimer when offering an opinion about law.

Kind of a courtesy, yes. It also helps mods clean up the thread. If I’m reading a thread and see DBM (meaning the member themselves self deleted), I’ll hide the post so that the thread reads more fluidly and there aren’t needless empty posts for members to scroll through. Hope that makes sense :)

I didn’t know you did that (hide those posts), so I didn’t know I was helping. :) Back before the website platform changed a few years ago, we could just delete our post within the editing timeframe and it would disappear. It doesn’t seem to be possible now, so we just erase the content within the editing timeframe and indicate we’ve deleted it.

Yes, courtesy has a lot to do with it. BBM (Bolded by me) indicates that the OP (original poster) or the quoted article did not originally put the bolding there...that it’s you making a point of emphasizing it. Snipped or RSBM (respectfully snipped by me) indicates that you have shortened the quoted post or article, either to highlight the point you are replying to or to adhere to the WS rule that we can’t quote more than 10% of material with a copywrite.

It gets easier to see how these acronyms are used, as you read. The one I took a long time to figure out (had to google it) was IANAL=I am not a lawyer, a disclaimer when offering an opinion about law.

I didn’t know you did that (hide those posts), so I didn’t know I was helping. :) Back before the website platform changed a few years ago, we could just delete our post within the editing timeframe and it would disappear. It doesn’t seem to be possible now, so we just erase the content within the editing timeframe and indicate we’ve deleted it.
Thank you two!

I remember seeing IYAM (If You Ask Me) in forums and could not for the life of me figure it out. All I could think of was IYAM what IYAM. :p I'm here today because of BBM. Usually I can figure it out or google is helpful. All I could find were things like blackberry media and big blue marble.

I remember seeing IYAM (If You Ask Me) in forums and could not for the life of me figure it out. All I could think of was IYAM what IYAM. :p I'm here today because of BBM. Usually I can figure it out or google is helpful. All I could find were things like blackberry media and big blue marble.
Bold By Me. Used for emphasis or focus in posts.

Thanks for asking and thanks to those for answering. I figured most out except why people were making cow noises. (Moo) I got it now but I thought it was an inside joke because folks were ending their thoughts with it. Kind of thought it was a funny way to say I'm done or something. LOLim on board now though.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress
Back