OH OH - Kurt Sova, 17, vanished from a party, body found in ravine, 23 Oct 1981 *fresh initiative*

dotr

Reaction score
‘Somebody knows what happened’: Newburgh Heights police reexamine evidence in 1981 cold case
NEWBURGH HEIGHTS, Ohio (WJW)– Newburgh Heights police are teaming up with college students to reexamine evidence in a decades-old cold case.

Kurt Sova, 17, vanished from a party at a home on Harvard Avenue on October 23, 1981.

Investigators said his body was discovered five days later in a ravine about 500 yards from the house.

The coroner could not determine an exact cause of death but determined Sova had been dead less than 24 hours from the time he was found, even though he had been missing for five days, according to police.

Sova’s body was found in an area that had previously been searched extensively, leading investigators to conclude the body was placed there after Sova’s death, according to police.

However, police said there were no signs of foul play.

WATCH: Police to re-open 1981 cold case in Newburgh Heights
"NEWBURGH HEIGHTS, Ohio — The Newburgh Heights Police Department is partnering with Tiffin University to investigate a cold case of 17-year-old Kurt Sova, who disappeared in 1981 and was found dead five days later in a ravine off of Harvard Avenue, according to a news release from police."
"Dozens of student scholars within the university's criminal justice department will work with investigators from the Newburgh Heights Police Department and Crime Stoppers of Cuyahoga County, who will offer a reward of up to $5,000 for information that leads to an arrest."

The Unsolved Mysteries segment on this case was one that always terrified me. I'm not sure if it's because of the state of his clothing, the strange stories about possible encounters with him, or just where he was found, but this is one I'd really love to see solved.

“Our thought process was to incorporate the brightest and best criminal justice and social science students to look at this case with a fresh set of eyes and a clear lens,” Lewis said.

The students will be working in their free time on the case for the next six months. During this time, they will be reviewing documents and evidence, along with monitoring social media pages dedicated to the case and tip lines set up.

“TU students were selected to review, analyze, interpret data and assist with the case,” Lewis said. “We feel that providing our students with real world opportunities and experiences they, along with their future employers, will benefit greatly.”

“Tips can come from anywhere,” Emily Borsen, a senior forensic psychology and law enforcement student, said.
TU students to help solve 38-year-old cold case | News, Sports, Jobs - The Advertiser-Tribune

What was the state of his clothing?
Lots of detail at link, still reading..
Maybe it is a typical pm pose, but it reminds me of the male victim in the uid couple thread..
Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #7

What Happened to Kurt Sova?
"The crowd at the party were a couple of years older than Kurt and Samuel. Kurt allegedly became disruptive while consuming alcohol and/or drugs, and this caused him to fall ill and start vomiting.

Samuel stated that he accompanied Kurt outside for 20–30 minutes. Kurt sported a yellow t-shirt, Samuel also only had on a t-shirt. The temperature was a chilly 56 degrees, this tempted Samuel to go back into the house to grab their jackets. Kurt rested against the chain-link fence. After a brief trip inside (2 or 3 minutes), Samuel arrived back to the scenario of a missing Kurt.

He searched the nearby streets and a parking lot connected to J.L. Goodman Furniture Inc. warehouse, (this location not being far from the spot where Kurt was eventually found). After no luck in locating Kurt, he assumed Kurt had walked home; Samuel went back to the party.

Samuel Carroll’s statement: I can only guess that someone he knew picked him up because it happened that fast. Someone had to pick him up in a car.”

His body was positioned in a puddle amongst the trash, face turned to the side, to form a Christ-like crucifixion. Both shoes were missing, his left shoe was eventually found between two rocks — twelve feet away from the body. Kurt’s right foot had a sock on; his left foot didn’t.
0*uniQy3rHBIQ1zDcC.png

(Photo from EXIT 9 reenactment)

Kurt had a bruise on his cheek and numerous bruises on his shins. A few abrasions were found on his flesh. No bullet holes, knife wounds, needle punctures, or internal injuries existed.

This is intriguing..
Eugene Kvet

Eugene Kvet
''Details: Eugene Kvet was a thirteen-year-old boy who vanished from Newburgh Heights, Ohio, in January 1982. His body was later found in a ravine. Some believe his death may be connected to that of an acquaintance of his, seventeen-year-old Kurt Sova. There are several similarities between the two cases. They were both found in ravines, just 2.5 miles from each other, both were missing for an amount of time before their bodies was found, and when they were found, both of their right shoes were missing. An autopsy showed that Eugene died from falling into a ravine, but whether he fell in accidentally, or was pushed or thrown in is unknown, and both his and Kurt's deaths remain unsolved.
Suspects: None known''

Lots of detail at link, still reading..
Maybe it is a typical pm pose, but it reminds me of the male victim in the uid couple thread..
Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #7

What Happened to Kurt Sova?
"The crowd at the party were a couple of years older than Kurt and Samuel. Kurt allegedly became disruptive while consuming alcohol and/or drugs, and this caused him to fall ill and start vomiting.

Samuel stated that he accompanied Kurt outside for 20–30 minutes. Kurt sported a yellow t-shirt, Samuel also only had on a t-shirt. The temperature was a chilly 56 degrees, this tempted Samuel to go back into the house to grab their jackets. Kurt rested against the chain-link fence. After a brief trip inside (2 or 3 minutes), Samuel arrived back to the scenario of a missing Kurt.

He searched the nearby streets and a parking lot connected to J.L. Goodman Furniture Inc. warehouse, (this location not being far from the spot where Kurt was eventually found). After no luck in locating Kurt, he assumed Kurt had walked home; Samuel went back to the party.

Samuel Carroll’s statement: I can only guess that someone he knew picked him up because it happened that fast. Someone had to pick him up in a car.”

His body was positioned in a puddle amongst the trash, face turned to the side, to form a Christ-like crucifixion. Both shoes were missing, his left shoe was eventually found between two rocks — twelve feet away from the body. Kurt’s right foot had a sock on; his left foot didn’t.
0*uniQy3rHBIQ1zDcC.png

(Photo from EXIT 9 reenactment)

Kurt had a bruise on his cheek and numerous bruises on his shins. A few abrasions were found on his flesh. No bullet holes, knife wounds, needle punctures, or internal injuries existed.

Thank you dotr! I didn't have time to read before - I'm reading now ....

I have a question involving this case. So, he was found five days after he went missing and the autopsy stated he had died 24-36 hours prior.... If he consumed mass amounds of everclear (which is potent) and he died from over consumption, would his blood alcohol level decrease after his death?

Let me put it another way, if the autopsy stated his blood alcohol level was 0.11 five days after he was missing, is it possible that it was much, much higher when he actually died. I mean high enough to kill him.

I have a question involving this case. So, he was found five days after he went missing and the autopsy stated he had died 24-36 hours prior.... If he consumed mass amounds of everclear (which is potent) and he died from over consumption, would his blood alcohol level decrease after his death?

Let me put it another way, if the autopsy stated his blood alcohol level was 0.11 five days after he was missing, is it possible that it was much, much higher when he actually died. I mean high enough to kill him.

Blood Alcohol Scores After Death Can Be “False Positive” Up To 0.20 | Atlanta Injury Law Blog
"In handling wrongful death and life insurance claims for clients, I learned years ago that blood alcohol tests after a person dies may not be reliable. Due to postmortem fermentation when a body is not kept cool after death, there can be “false positive” blood alcohol reports up to 0.20 grams/% — 2 ½ times the legal limit of 0.08 for drivers and boaters in Georgia."
It has been well established for many years that:
  1. Blood alcohol levels at autopsy are valid up to 48 hours after death when solid protocols are observed in the collection and storage of samples.
  2. Alcohol levels in samples of blood taken from the intact heart are as significant as levels of blood from the femoral veins.
  3. False blood alcohol levels greater than 0.200% can be generated in autopsy blood samples which are not correctly stored.
  4. High blood alcohol levels may develop during putrefaction and levels up to 0.200% do not necessarily indicate that alcohol was imbibed before death.
  5. Significant false high blood alcohol levels do not develop during incineration in absence of putrefaction.
We have to be alert to this scientific knowledge in handling cases where any person after death is accused of having been drunk at the time of death."

Kurt Sova: (The Mystery in Newburgh Heights)
"Kurt’s autopsy was performed by Lester Adelson, Chief Deputy Coroner of Cuyahoga County. The autopsy determined Kurt had been dead 24-36 hours before his body was found, meaning he was alive for at least three days after leaving the party. The coroner could not determine an official cause of death. Kurt Sova had no preexisting medical conditions, no drugs were found in the autopsy, and he didn’t have enough alcohol in his system to kill him. Deputy Coroner Adelson cites this as “Diagnosis by exclusion.”

Last edited:
Blood Alcohol Scores After Death Can Be “False Positive” Up To 0.20 | Atlanta Injury Law Blog
"In handling wrongful death and life insurance claims for clients, I learned years ago that blood alcohol tests after a person dies may not be reliable. Due to postmortem fermentation when a body is not kept cool after death, there can be “false positive” blood alcohol reports up to 0.20 grams/% — 2 ½ times the legal limit of 0.08 for drivers and boaters in Georgia."
  1. Blood alcohol levels at autopsy are valid up to 48 hours after death when solid protocols are observed in the collection and storage of samples.
  2. Alcohol levels in samples of blood taken from the intact heart are as significant as levels of blood from the femoral veins.
  3. False blood alcohol levels greater than 0.200% can be generated in autopsy blood samples which are not correctly stored.
  4. High blood alcohol levels may develop during putrefaction and levels up to 0.200% do not necessarily indicate that alcohol was imbibed before death.
  5. Significant false high blood alcohol levels do not develop during incineration in absence of putrefaction.
We have to be alert to this scientific knowledge in handling cases where any person after death is accused of having been drunk at the time of death."

"Kurt’s autopsy was performed by Lester Adelson, Chief Deputy Coroner of Cuyahoga County. The autopsy determined Kurt had been dead 24-36 hours before his body was found, meaning he was alive for at least three days after leaving the party. The coroner could not determine an official cause of death. Kurt Sova had no preexisting medical conditions, no drugs were found in the autopsy, and he didn’t have enough alcohol in his system to kill him. Deputy Coroner Adelson cites this as “Diagnosis by exclusion.”

Thank you!

I'm new so bear with me, please. In my mind I see Kurt being taken downstairs, not outside--or if he WAS taken outside, he was then taken downstairs. It may be that the friend thought he'd let Kurt "sleep it off" and went back to the party. Everclear is extremely dangerous as alcohol poisoning occurs without notice. Sometimes, alcohol poisoning will put the victim into a coma and often, those individuals never wake up. Although there's more to it, I believe that is how Kurt died.
It's possible he lingered for a few days and then died, at which time two people dragged his body out to the ravine.

What was the state of his clothing?
"When we arrived there, his body was laid out like Christ on the cross," said Paul T. Grzesik, who was a part-time patrolman at the time. "One shoe was found nearby. We never found the other (right) shoe." When Kurt’s body was found, his right shoe was missing and his left shoe was wedged in a nearby pile of rocks.

There were no photos of Kurt's body as it was found. The Newburgh Heights police file on Kurt's case contains four Polaroid photos of Kurt's body after it had been loaded on a stretcher and was about to be placed in an ambulance. Asked why the file holds no photos of Kurt's body as it was found, a routine police practice, Police Chief Lukas said, "I know there were photos taken. I'm almost positive there were photos.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back