OH OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess my main point, or opinion if you will, is that school calls have completely desensitized me. I don't find anything odd with a parent not thinking too much into it. It could be nothing more than that. MOO
Has the ringcam image of him at friend's house been verified by LE?

I'm only asking b/c I don't remember seeing that info in MSM.

I guess my main point, or opinion if you will, is that school calls have completely desensitized me. I don't find anything odd with a parent not thinking too much into it. It could be nothing more than that. MOO

Yes, Chief Hickman states this in the press conference on 12-26:

You are normal, like most people. This is a total dysfunctional family. She reiterates "I spoke to him I didn't see him, there is a difference between speaking to him and seeing him" Maybe he never came home Thursday night, she spoke to him on the phone Friday morning and maybe she doesn't remember because they were having a few cocktails Thursday night and she is too embarrassed to say that to the public. She was in bed when he went to school? what mother doesn't get up to see their child off too school? even if not feeling well, they get up. A dysfunctional mother doesn't get up. She doesn't even say he came over and kissed me goodbye when I was in bed? What happened? he yelled in to the bedroom like he often did because she couldn't get up? They call the police on a 14 year old because they don't know how to parent and use tough love. I think he was the only adult in the house. His mom's FB video was all about her and not him. The next time I saw her she spoke publicly pleading about Harley, yet I never saw one tear. Please know I am not bashing her and her pain may be real, and I do not think and hope they are not responsible for his disappearance. Dysfunctional people parent the best way they can but quite often it doesn't offer much for a child. Dysfunctional people don't lie to lie but they don't know how to tell the truth and they twist a story to suit themselves. SO when you question like we all do, how could she not? that is a "dysfunction".

Just looking at this family picture I am thinking and hoping he went with someone else looking for a way out and a better life with someone looking after him that won't put him in harms way. At least that is what I want for him.

While I agree the family is dysfunctional I don’t believe it has anything to do with her getting up or not in the mornings before school. There’s no reason a high schooler can’t do that themselves. What if both parents work? Then would it would be ok?

Surely her not getting up has nothing to do with his disappearance. I am looking at the entire picture of his life. Her story is dicey, because she is not a hands on parent. Whether you stay in bed in the morning or go to work, most mothers try to know the whereabouts of their kids morning, noon and night, even in high school. Again reiterating the dysfunction in the household.

While I agree the family is dysfunctional I don’t believe it has anything to do with her getting up or not in the mornings before school. There’s no reason a high schooler can’t do that themselves. What if both parents work? Then would it would be ok?

For me, the issue here is that he said he wasn't feeling well that morning yet apparently she still couldn't roll out of bed to eyeball him and make sure he is well enough to go to school. Especially since according to her there were medical issues in the process of being evaluated (which we cannot discuss here). Then didn't keep her phone close by to accept calls and make sure it was functional to accept voice mails if necessary, just in case the school called if he happened to get sicker throughout the day. Otherwise, yes it's fine for a high school kid to get himself off to school in the morning. I'm always up with them but not every parent can do that due to work, etc.

My daughter is 14 and on my day off (Thursday) I roll around in bed and nag her to get ready and get to the bus. It’s at the top of the driveway so I feel safe about that. If it’s really cold, I get up and drive her up. Work days I drive her up and enjoy the time with her. If she were to say she was feeling bad I’d call her in my room and do the normal mom stuff, feel her forehead, ask her for details, etc. I might stay in bed and make my decision, but I’d for sure lay eyes and hands on her.

Some less grainy pics of Harley from his YouTube.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 9.36.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 9.36.14 PM.png
    580.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 9.36.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 9.36.28 PM.png
    575.9 KB · Views: 49
Ugh... So many thoughts going through my head. I have 2 daughters around this age and I know how sneaky they can be. They are much better at technology than most of us and there are constantly new apps popping up that parents are unaware of, or even as simple as making a new profile the parent most likely won't find. My girls have been snitched on a few times my their cousins. Nothing worse that hearing someone sketchy is talking inappropriate to your kid on a profile you weren't aware of. I'm just saying, in my own personal experience and my own opinion - there is so much unknown and teens are sometimes so clueless, gullible, and secretive. (Side thought, but a teenage boy taking showers multiple times a day just makes me think he was going through puberty. My girls take hour long showers, sometimes multiple times a day. After having open conversations with them, they basically explained they 'explore their bodies' a lot when they are going through a lot of changes). Again MOO and experience.

Ugh... So many thoughts going through my head. I have 2 daughters around this age and I know how sneaky they can be. They are much better at technology than most of us and there are constantly new apps popping up that parents are unaware of, or even as simple as making a new profile the parent most likely won't find. My girls have been snitched on a few times my their cousins. Nothing worse that hearing someone sketchy is talking inappropriate to your kid on a profile you weren't aware of. I'm just saying, in my own personal experience and my own opinion - there is so much unknown and teens are sometimes so clueless, gullible, and secretive. (Side thought, but a teenage boy taking showers multiple times a day just makes me think he was going through puberty. My girls take hour long showers, sometimes multiple times a day. After having open conversations with them, they basically explained they 'explore their bodies' a lot when they are going through a lot of changes). Again MOO and experience.

And trust me, I feel as awkward typing that as I did reading it, but it's the truth. I remember being that age and I get it and try not to judge my kids, but be thankful they can talk to me about things. IME MOO

I've actually wondered if the whole bathing several times a day thing wasn't actually more about HD wanting a clandestine spot to record his YT videos and/or to engage in other online activities that he may have been put on restriction from at home.

As we've seen, HD did appear to record a number of his YT videos in the bathtub.

That may have been b/c he wanted to hide the fact that he was filming from his parents and/or to prevent them from being able to monitor his online activity.

JMO.

I've actually wondered if the whole bathing several times a day thing wasn't actually more about HD wanting a clandestine spot to record his YT videos and/or to engage in other online activities that he may have been put on restriction from at home.

As we've seen, HD did appear to record a number of his YT videos in the bathtub.

That may have been b/c he wanted to hide the fact that he was filming from his parents and/or to prevent them from being able to monitor his online activity.

JMO.

While that would explain Harley disappearing into the bathroom to bathe several times a day, it doesn't explain why the head detective on the case would disclose that particular detail in the short segment that ran on Live PD. Of all the information investigators may have uncovered in their searches and interviews, why did the general public need to hear that? It's not the detective's role to help the public make sense of why they might happen to see Harley appearing in varying states of undress in his online videos; it's the detective's role to investigate and to selectively release information that may help toward that investigation.

So, WHY that odd bit of information?

Also, I find it interesting to note that in the Dec 26 press conference Chief Hickman gave (in videos provided in recent pages here), he mentions that Harley's phone was broken by Harley before he handed the phone over to his mother a week before that date (the date of the press conference). That would make the date of the broken phone Thursday, Dec 19 - the last day someone outside that family physically saw Harley and the day before his family last reported interacting with him. The Chief also mentioned that the police visit to resolve a family dispute involving Harley the month before occurred after his parents had taken away an electronic device, although the Chief does not say whether that was also the phone or was instead another device.

JMO.

This is so spot on GK.

I perused through several of Harley's SM sites and those particular videos truly unnerved me because of the setting. :eek:
I think it's safe to say most people know what online predators think of that situation. :(:(

JMHO

Folks, this post lands at random.

As far as we know, the family members are victims and I'm sure are all wanting Harley home. While we can be all judgey of the mom because we disagree with her parenting style, please just stick to discussing the known facts (and yes, you can give an opinion or theory as to how those known facts may have some bearing on Harley's disappearance). So we aren't saying you can't discuss it at all ... but let's set aside the judgmental comments and not just generally throw a mom under the bus because she doesn't live up to our own standards of parenting perfection.

While that would explain Harley disappearing into the bathroom to bathe several times a day, it doesn't explain why the head detective on the case would disclose that particular detail in the short segment that ran on Live PD. Of all the information investigators may have uncovered in their searches and interviews, why did the general public need to hear that? It's not the detective's role to help the public make sense of why they might happen to see Harley appearing in varying states of undress in his online videos; it's the detective's role to investigate and to selectively release information that may help toward that investigation.

So, WHY that odd bit of information?

Oh I'm with you on this @Diddian. It was so bizarre, of all the more important things that he could have talked about in that short time, he discusses his bathing habits! I think what he was trying to do was establish that Harley had a routine, and that routine included staying close to home. And used the example of him taking several baths a day, even leaving a friend's house to come home to bathe and then go back out to the friend's. What I have a problem with is that it wasn't necessary for him to be that specific, all he had to say was that Harley had specific routines and habits that caused him to check back in at the home frequently. Every teenage boy, including Harley's peers, know exactly why teenage boys spend a lot of time in the bath/shower at that age. That LivePD segment aired to millions of people, apparently that detective never thought about how humiliating it might be to Harley to have his "bathing" habits blasted across the USA.

And then the next day, when I was watching on FB some of the local news media coverage of the LivePD segment, THEY TOO zoned in on the bathing! They only showed about 5 or 6 seconds of the detective talking, and it was about the bathing! I couldn't believe it! :eek:

IMO

Not directed at any particular posts. Just wanted to say that before posting anything here, I try to run it through a filter thinking what if the missing person or family members involved were to read my what I’ve written here before I hit post.

Last edited:
Right - plus, didn’t the mom recently have a stroke and/or other serious health issues? I have some uneasiness about some of what we have been reading about this family, but I’m not necessarily thinking it’s off if she did in fact stay in bed while Harley got himself out the door.

Oh I'm with you on this @Diddian. It was so bizarre, of all the more important things that he could have talked about in that short time, he discusses his bathing habits! I think what he was trying to do was establish that Harley had a routine, and that routine included staying close to home. And used the example of him taking several baths a day, even leaving a friend's house to come home to bathe and then go back out to the friend's. What I have a problem with is that it wasn't necessary for him to be that specific, all he had to say was that Harley had specific routines and habits that caused him to check back in at the home frequently. Every teenage boy, including Harley's peers, know exactly why teenage boys spend a lot of time in the bath/shower at that age. That LivePD segment aired to millions of people, apparently that detective never thought about how humiliating it might be to Harley to have his "bathing" habits blasted across the USA.

And then the next day, when I was watching on FB some of the local news media coverage of the LivePD segment, THEY TOO zoned in on the bathing! They only showed about 5 or 6 seconds of the detective talking, and it was about the bathing! I couldn't believe it! :eek:

IMO

I am just racking my brain about why that info would be released. It seems designed to catch the attention of someone. And then there are the large missing person signs with Harley's photo in nearby cities. That makes me wonder if perhaps the person they are appealing to is someone who may have joined in watching Harley online - so they'd recognize Harley from the photos on the sign and from the reference to frequent bathing - and that person would not themselves have snatched Harley, but may know another online follower who would have done it? If there is such a person, I hope they have called in that tip.

Because if someone has snatched Harley and is not releasing him with all this public attention so Harley can make his way home to recover from the experience, I'd want hellfire to rain down on that person. And if someone else knew or had good reason to suspect exactly who that person was and failed to call that tip in, I'd want hellfire to rain down on them too. And, for the sake of Harley and every other young person who might innocently attract undue attention - I hope every person who might be called to serve on a jury would feel the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member