CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many hours did @cazador and his wife spend in the desert searching for a complete stranger?

JMO
Good point.

Not exactly 'shredding' anyone.

If my spouse was missing or I thought kidnapped and taken to Vegas -- I wouldn't give a flying fig what anyone said about me !
Finding my loved one is all that would matter.
I'd sell anything I had -- plane, RV, car, boat, extra house -- and be begging publicly for help.

I've read the idea that "maybe Barbara stormed off" here so many times, and it always bothers me...what reason is there to think that she would get so irrationally angry that she would act against her own self-interest and blindly charge into the desert, only to get lost and die?

I've read the idea that "maybe Barbara stormed off" here so many times, and it always bothers me...what reason is there to think that she would get so irrationally angry that she would act against her own self-interest and blindly charge into the desert, only to get lost and die?
Regardless of the cause, the outcome is the same. Let’s pray she is found soon. Some of the newer drone technology is making a big difference in these type of recoveries. Barb needs a proper send off and resting place.

amateur opinion and speculation

I have considered the two of them had been arguing and she walked away or ahead or behind him, just so she wasn't right with him. After all, we did hear that she had been quite agitated that morning dropping her dog off. I've also considered maybe he walked away from her. Hadn't he been agitated at the Circle K? So, my impression has been they weren't having a good day together.
What we do know is that at some point they became separated. How and why are the questions I have.

I have considered the two of them had been arguing and she walked away or ahead or behind him, just so she wasn't right with him. After all, we did hear that she had been quite agitated that morning dropping her dog off. I've also considered maybe he walked away from her. Hadn't he been agitated at the Circle K? So, my impression has been they weren't having a good day together.
What we do know is that at some point they became separated. How and why are the questions I have.
bbm
That is correct.

We don't know why yet ; but it's possibly due to the fact that maybe Barbara was used to bringing the dog along ?
And it was a newer model fifth wheel, so it would've come equipped with A/C.

No need for the dog to be out as long as they were -- from around 10 am to 3:26 when the 911 call came in.

bbm
That is correct.

We don't know why yet ; but it's possibly due to the fact that maybe Barbara was used to bringing the dog along ?
And it was a newer model fifth wheel, so it would've come equipped with A/C.

No need for the dog to be out as long as they were -- from around 10 am to 3:26 when the 911 call came in.
You know, I know that married people have disagreements. That's not unusual. They get thru their troubles or divorce or whatever. So, BT seeming agitated one morning isn't especially alarming to me. Even RT seeming excited at the Circle K that same morning doesn't alarm me. Disagreements between people can last a while.
But......when one of them goes missing in the same day.......now the whole thing is alarming to me. All of it.

As long as Barbara is missing, it's good to keep the thread going for her and hoping she can be brought home.
Nothing here is done in vain.
It feels like if we don't keep interest in her than no one will. And that's sad.
She deserves to be found and justice if need be.

Regardless of the cause, the outcome is the same. Let’s pray she is found soon. Some of the newer drone technology is making a big difference in these type of recoveries. Barb needs a proper send off and resting place.

This is true. I guess what never sat right with me was RT's interviews and tone when discussing how someone probably just came and took her because, well, she was wearing a bikini and holding a beer. Sounded like blaming then, and still does when I listen to it today. So the notion of Barbara "storming off" to her death like a drama queen touches that nerve as well, since there's no basis for it. I don't believe she is to blame, and I do know she is likely dead. Regardless of the cause, I can't help but want to stick up for her.

@dbdb11

Thread #7

Page 38

Post # 746

The attendant on the day spoke to me. Describes Robbie as naggy and said police have all surveillance footage. The attendant, Mike if I remember, also told me Robbie parked way out on the other side of the road. Walked in to the store in a very roundabout way, said something about not being able to get in and out of the truck without his wife's help, which made the attendant think he was implying a disability, and then practically jogged across the road and hopped in the truck, which struck Mike as very odd, and made him remember the encounter. RT only bought ice. Mike did not see Barb, but probably wouldn't have if they were parked across the road (context for the google earth photo). This happened around 9am.

BBM
Thanks, @Jade. This (above post) is what I was referring to in my post yesterday, in which I had read about RT saying to the attendant at the convenience store where RT purchased ice, that he wasn't able to get in and out of their truck without his wife's help.

This (above post) describing that interaction came from Barbara's family member who spoke to the employee who interacted with RT the morning RT & BT stopped to get ice before they headed out into the desert.

Somewhat of a 'last sighting' of RT and their rig and him saying she was with him then, anyway, before he called 911 mid-afternoon to report his wife missing on their walk in the desert far to the west to look at and take pictures of rock formations, according to RT.

IMO, it's not been confirmed that Barbara was with RT at this time since she wasn't seen on video surveillance from the store that LE has, according to the family member who spoke with LE about it, who is a 'verified insider' on this case here on WS.

Thank you to LE and SAR for all their efforts to locate Barbara

Thank you to everyone here on WS and other places for your diligence in trying to find her

Thank you to @cazador for searching for her where RT said she disappeared, and posting here what you observed

Thank you to Barbara's family for sharing what you have with the public and everything you have done to find her, we're so sorry for the disappearance of your loved one, and hope you have answers soon

Barbara, we will never let up sleuthing your disappearance, and you will never be forgotten!!

This is true. I guess what never sat right with me was RT's interviews and tone when discussing how someone probably just came and took her because, well, she was wearing a bikini and holding a beer. Sounded like blaming then, and still does when I listen to it today. So the notion of Barbara "storming off" to her death like a drama queen touches that nerve as well, since there's no basis for it. I don't believe she is to blame, and I do know she is likely dead. Regardless of the cause, I can't help but want to stick up for her.
Drinking alcohol and hiking in the dessert is never a good idea. I think the same drone technology that found Paul Miller can find Barb.

So if RT were to decide to brave the wilds of a WS podcast these are the questions I would like to hear asked:

~Why taken towards Vegas? Why not Barstow? Did you hear a vehicle roar off that seemed to be going towards Vegas as opposed to Barstow?

~Since the walk was but an aside and not the destination what was the destination? Where were the reservations for that night?

~Were there flyers or alerts at the destination campground in the event that Barb was able to make her way there and is there is some clue to be gotten from there which might indicate a connection. Is that their regular camp ground that may have had a person that was enamored with BT and knew of their plans?

They must have had reservations because if they were going to a first come first serve campground would they dally on a walk instead of getting on to at least drop the camper so they had a good spot or a spot at all.

If they had to wait until 2:00 to check into a campground that would make sense to go ahead and take a walk.

Since RT didn’t seem all that confident with the rig pulling into an easy spot across the street from the gas station I would think he would want to get a desirable spot at the campground by reserving one.

The gas station parking lot is roomy and probably not real crowded at that time of day and season.

[Their set up is nimble my sil takes hers similar, I think even bigger one, everywhere she says I just drive and it follows.]

~ At what pace did Barb go on to the camper?

For further searching efforts if she was leisurely she may not have made it as far and the time and distance of their separation would be less but if she took off with purpose and energy she may have gone further out than expected for whatever reason.

~ Have you used your plane to fly over the area with a lookout scanning to see if they can spot anything?

jmo

Thanks, @Jade. This (above post) is what I was referring to in my post yesterday, in which I had read about RT saying to the attendant at the convenience store where RT purchased ice, that he wasn't able to get in and out of their truck without his wife's help.

This (above post) describing that interaction came from Barbara's family member who spoke to the employee who interacted with RT the morning RT & BT stopped to get ice before they headed out into the desert.

Somewhat of a 'last sighting' of RT and their rig and him saying she was with him then, anyway, before he called 911 mid-afternoon to report his wife missing on their walk in the desert far to the west to look at and take pictures of rock formations, according to RT.

IMO, it's not been confirmed that Barbara was with RT at this time since she wasn't seen on video surveillance from the store that LE has, according to the family member who spoke with LE about it, who is a 'verified insider' on this case here on WS.

Thank you to LE and SAR for all their efforts to locate Barbara

Thank you to everyone here on WS and other places for your diligence in trying to find her

Thank you to @cazador for searching for her where RT said she disappeared, and posting here what you observed

Thank you to Barbara's family for sharing what you have with the public and everything you have done to find her, we're so sorry for the disappearance of your loved one, and hope you have answers soon

Barbara, we will never let up sleuthing your disappearance, and you will never be forgotten!!
Thank you for clearing that up. I guess I totally missed the part about him not being able to get in and out without Barbara's help.

I'd call that considerable embroidery. The bottom line is, we don't know what he said, and we never will, because all there is to go on is one person's imperfect memory of something he never thought he would be asked to recall.
Agree 100%- we have no idea what the attendant actually said (exactly) to the VI or to the police, or what he would have said if you had asked him 5 minutes after it happened. We have no verifiable information other than BT is not where she is supposed to be, her husband says she was in the desert with him just before she vanished, and a search of that area for 9 days by professionals didn't find any trace of her.

The fact that LE has given no public info on a unusual missing persons case speaks volumes.
Like with most missing person cases you would think they would want to find the individual and put out a lot of information in order to help and assist.
The detective did give me the GPS coordinates of where Robert said he lost sight of Barbara and he did say "You know we did a full search with Helicopter and lots of people with nothing for the effort"
I told him I know but I promised a family member I would go look and take pics for them to see.
After being there for 2 days searching, both my wife and myself agreed that there is no way RT would lose her in this environment.
It is just that simple.
Something else is in play here, there is something missing from the story told. We have no idea what that is..
jmho

Last edited:
Drinking alcohol and hiking in the dessert is never a good idea. I think the same drone technology that found Paul Miller can find Barb.

RT's statement that Barbara was drinking alcohol and hiking in the desert when she disappeared has never been corroborated by anyone or confirmed to the public by LE in MSM.

LE / SAR found no evidence of her when they searched for her for 10 days where RT said she disappeared while they were walking, and they found no evidence that she was drinking alcohol as far as the public knows.

This is all in the Media Thread regarding the facts of her disappearance from MSM sources.

MOO

RT's statement that Barbara was drinking alcohol and hiking in the desert when she disappeared has never been corroborated by anyone or confirmed to the public by LE in MSM.

LE / SAR found no evidence of her when they searched for her for 10 days where RT said she disappeared while they were walking, and they found no evidence that she was drinking alcohol as far as the public knows.

This is all in the Media Thread regarding the facts of her disappearance from MSM sources.

MOO
And more than a few folks thought Paul Miller wasnt in Joshua Tree....
I fall in the camp of believing RT, and that Barb has yet to be found in the vicinity RT identified.

it’s very difficult to see remains outdoors. She will be found eventually

all amateur opinion and speculation

I don’t think posters here at WS has treated this case any different than any other case since 2012 when I started here and the mods haven’t treated our posts any different or the thread either.

In each case we have our supporters and our “questioners.”

And many cases had to have the threads closed for clean up because it’s the nature of the beast. Each case draws new members, those who either don’t read, don’t care, or don’t understand the uniqueness of WS and their rules.

It’s also the nature of the beast to pose the same questions over and over again and brainstorm about what each element of a case could mean. That’s not pointing fingers, that’s seeing both sides of a coin.

Most WSers I’ve run into in the past 8 years have compassionate, big hearts. Like cazador, we’ve gone out for the group to look at a location and reported back for the benefit of our discussion here at WS.

The sad truth is many of our victims here are murdered by someone they know, and someone they loved. That is a FACT. So it’s going to come up in discussion. Pure, plain and simple. It always does. And I can’t tell you how many times those have thought that we’re right. And the times I gave the benefit of the doubt and was wrong.

RT put certain things out there, and yeh, we are going to discuss it. Maybe someone new will come on and see it being discussed for the 1,000th time for us, but the first time for them and will have THE answer.

We are trying to keep Barbara on the front page so her case doesn’t die out and go cold. We want Barbara found. We all should want that.

Granted, there were some people who outright were accusing RT of harming BT but honestly, few were WS regulars. Many came from other sites, and didn’t care about the rules here, or were brand new members and misunderstood a rule. That’s what got this case shut down.

Barbara Thomas, where are you? Your son and your grandchildren need you. Come home to them, please?
IMO

Last edited:
Missing Person Statistics
The Department of Justice annually will update the statistics of missing persons from information provided by law enforcement agencies. Law enforcement agencies are required by state law to report missing persons cases to the Missing Persons System, an automated database which can be used by authorized law enforcement and criminal justice agencies via the California Law Enforcement Telecommunications System.
California Missing Persons
Barbara Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members