Found Deceased AL - Paighton Houston, 29, left bar with 2 men, Birmingham, 20 Dec 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not find it fair to accuse everyone who suggests SO may be a factor of simply loving "a good rumor mill."

RSBM

I never even suggested that. What I did say, was that the only places I've seen it being openly discussed, (and in many cases as if it's factual), are on sites that don't clamp down on unsubstantiated rumor - the way WS does.

As you mentioned, it is so hard to speculate with any certainty given the limited facts released. I've gone through numerous scenarios and don't feel very confident with any of them.

I hope that Paighton's family finds eventual comfort in their fond memories and knowing what an impact her life has had on so many across the country. I hope they receive the answers they deserve and that whoever knows more, eventually comes forward.

Ditto, to all you've said. I don't really lean any one direction and I hope the investigation brings justice for her family, sooner rather than later.

RSBM

I never even suggested that. What I did say, was that the only places I've seen it being openly discussed, (and in many cases as if it's factual), are on sites that don't clamp down on unsubstantiated rumor - the way WS does.
Then nobody should be discussing drug use in the present tense either; that has not been confirmed in MSM, or by LE, just a one-off website, and it was in the past. It's just as much "unsubstantiated rumor" that drugs were involved here as any other theory.

Then nobody should be discussing drug use in the present tense either; that has not been confirmed in MSM, or by LE, just a one-off website, and it was in the past. It's just as much "unsubstantiated rumor" that drugs were involved here as any other theory.

I think it is reasonable to speculate that drugs may have been a factor in light of the coroner's inability to determine COD from the autopsy, pending tox results. And while it may have been a "one-off website," the website featured video of PH discussing her recovery and addiction, so it is not merely speculation that she dealt with addiction.

I agree with you about P's character and the description of a responsible, strong work ethic, personable and caring young woman. I know your number of fb friends is no way to judge a person but her 1,000+ friends really seemed to be rooting for her. I perceive these are people that knew P before, during, and after her battle with heroin addiction. I don't think this was a person with disposable friends as she was not disposable.

The last pics on P's Instagram are from an industry dinner a week before she vanished. It also hasn't gone unnoticed how generous her industry family from coast to coast have been with their financial contributions to support her memory. That doesn't just happen, that's respect that was earned. MOO
I remember seeing those Instagram pics of industry dinner but can’t find it Do you have the link?

Had this witness not been made public and her story told by her attorney, I'd have no knowledge of her or what she's facing on social media.

My understanding of defamation is you can sue someone, whether libel or slander, if they have written or said something bad about you (providing you can prove the elements of defamation suit). I don't believe you can sue somebody for remaining silent.

I can only think of one instance where LE made a statement in defense of somebody being falsely implicated in a crime on social media.
It was for the parents of a young boy (J Minard) that worked after school and weekends on a dairy farm. He also went missing and was found a week later in a shallow grave on farm property. His cause of death was related to fentanyl. After months of investigation, the farm owner's son was charged with his death.

You can sue anyone but if what's written is true or it's an opinion even if it's bad you won't win that suit. First Amendment.

Gotta go along with the point of drawing too many conclusions based off of SM alone, but if one picture *IS* worth a thousand words I'd have to say one angle I am somewhat surprised has not been mentioned more often on this thread is the one pic on Instagram with the word "FRIENDS" in rainbow colours. Suffice it to say that with the scarcity of men in her Instagram pics (at least those that are not family), I wouldn't think PH would have left a bar with *any* men. Just my 2d...

IMHO, I think this is overreaching...

Once the SM train leaves the station you can't get it back under control until the case is solved -- and often times that doesn't even stop it. It's not just SM (this just makes it worse) but this kind of community-based shaming/blaming is a part of human nature and living in society that's been a problem for a long, long time.

Clearly, this person has to be a person-of-interest -- that's what happens when you're the last person to see someone alive in a murder/unexplained death situation. However, that doesn't mean you should be hounded in social media.

There is a problem with current "online detective work" when someone innocent gets misidentified and off everyone goes. Which is why I think it's good here at WS where this kind of guessing is kept off the boards in large part. Discuss amongst yourselves in DMs but don't let it get out where someone doing a driveby on the board suddenly makes someone's life difficult by taking the name to the other arenas where this kind of thing isn't policed.
Thanks Chili and everyone who answered this question for me.
What you all say makes absolute sense. And it makes me feel for Grace and others who have been implicated. Not just because of the mental and emotional toil but for the financial expense if you hire counsel. Having you life turned inside out while having to pay to clean it up is a quadruple whammy.

We'll just have to agree to disagree & leave it at that. :)

I think it is reasonable to speculate that drugs may have been a factor in light of the coroner's inability to determine COD from the autopsy, pending tox results. And while it may have been a "one-off website," the website featured video of PH discussing her recovery and addiction, so it is not merely speculation that she dealt with addiction.
Well said, thank you.

Who would she sue? Facebook friends, Reddit comments? I have not seen anything from LE to indicate they have released any information with regard to her.
That actually is part of my question....whether LE is liable if they do not control narrative. SM whizzes out of control when LE does not give info. So if LE knows that someone is innocent, and if this person is being harmed on SM - could that individual sue?

TRUSSVILLE, AL (WBRC) - Outside Clearbranch United Methodist Church in Trussville, Roy Brook stood at attention, clinging an American flag.

"I'm here to show respect for Paighton, to honor her," said Brook who never met the 29-year-old woman.

"No, I don't know any of them."

The gesture, a symbol of how Paighton Houston impacted her community.

"I'm not here for a show," said Brook. "I'm just letting this family know that somebody cares."

Brook, like countless others, joined Houston's family in prayer that she would be found and would return home.

Brook and hundreds of other people attended her funeral on Friday.

"Paighton loved nothing more than to make me feel uncomfortable, that was like her favorite thing to do so I think she would really get a kick out of this," said Houston's best friend, Jennifer Shaffner.

She added through tears, "I miss her so much but I know she will be watching over me."

Hundreds attend Paighton Houston’s funeral

You can sue anyone but if what's written is true or it's an opinion even if it's bad you won't win that suit. First Amendment.
In very general terms, true. The thing that always made me laugh here is the "MOO" as if simply stating "MOO" changes a statement from a statement of fact to a statement of opinion. Courts will certainly look deeper at a statement but generally speaking, error on the side of the 1st amendment. Also, damages are very difficult to prove.

That actually is part of my question....whether LE is liable if they do not control narrative. SM whizzes out of control when LE does not give info. So if LE knows that someone is innocent, and if this person is being harmed on SM - could that individual sue?
I haven't researched Alabama law but I'd be shocked if there is a cause of action against LE for such a thing. I haven't read the last dozen pages because it sounds like nothing new has happened besides putting forth the same things. I'm assuming people are continuing to harass the coworker and maybe stepped it up. I have read plenty of posts directed at her that would lead to civil liability, obviously assuming they're not true. Another interesting thought on that...haven't many states enacted criminal laws involving online harassment or something? If so, I'd be curious to know how they read. Personally, I better have some sort of evidence of someone's involvement before I go talking crap about them. Doing so without some evidence is BS. All "MOO" as always.

Fact: Told my family if I ever go missing DO NOT START A FACEBOOK PAGE FOR ME. They do way more harm than good.

Personally, I think it's kind of crappy to denigrate a person, especially a victim, without some evidence of the fact stated. Not stating the COD yet is not evidence of drug use. It might be enough for me to look down that avenue and keep it open as an option but definitely not enough for me to PUBLICLY disparage them. Of course, all just "MOO" and we can agree to disagree.

I'm gonna blow your mind. Pediatricians, nurses, even lawyers- the doctors and CEO- some of them get high too, not just their children. They have addictions too. I can name some in the town i live..i told my family what pediatrician & urologist to stay away from. Ive also dealt with a drunk nurse- at the hospital, in my line if work. Its sad and dangerous
Edit to add: my line of business is in the hospitality industry.
Oh, I am well aware of that. I know several nurses who have suffered from addiction problems. One would take the day to go across the border and buy all she could because of what is legal there. My daughter had a friend in elementary school whose pharmacists Dad committed suicide because he had an opioid addiction and he couldn’t deal with it anymore. This was probably 30 years ago before the opioid problem popped into the everyday lexicon. IME

Personally, I think it's kind of crappy to denigrate a person, especially a victim, without some evidence of the fact stated. Not stating the COD yet is not evidence of drug use. It might be enough for me to look down that avenue and keep it open as an option but definitely not enough for me to PUBLICLY disparage them. Of course, all just "MOO" and we can agree to disagree.

Just to offer a different point of view: I don't consider addiction or relapse as denigrating. I think it's a circumstance that may have put her in contact with people that didn't care about her safety. Like it added another circle to her Venn diagram, connecting her indirectly to someone she may not otherwise have ever come in contact with. I definitely don't see that possibly being lured by the use or promise of drugs puts any blame or shame on the victim at all. MOO (because I don't think I'm at expert! lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member