Found Deceased FL - Mark Miller, 46, jumped on a roof of a passing car, U.S. 1 Hwy, Monroe County, 5 Jan 2020

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
Friends and family of a Florida Keys man have been looking for him since Sunday afternoon, when they say he had some sort of mental breakdown and grabbed onto the luggage rack of a passing car on U.S. 1 and hopped on its roof.

A woman who knows him, and is reported to be the last person to see him, told police she lost visual contact with him as he was being driven away by the SUV as it headed north on the highway, according to a Monroe County Sheriff’s Office report.

More at https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/florida-keys/article239138888.html

Wow... I really hope that Mark is safe somewhere, this is not good.

Friends and family of a Florida Keys man have been looking for him since Sunday afternoon, when they say he had some sort of mental breakdown and grabbed onto the luggage rack of a passing car on U.S. 1 and hopped on its roof.

A woman who knows him, and is reported to be the last person to see him, told police she lost visual contact with him as he was being driven away by the SUV as it headed north on the highway, according to a Monroe County Sheriff’s Office report.

More at https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/florida-keys/article239138888.html

Wow... I really hope that Mark is safe somewhere, this is not good.
Quite a strange story. I don’t know that I’d keep driving down the highway after someone jumped on my roof. If I did keep going, I’d have been on the phone with LE and trying to get to where they were. Not much info to go on, no witnesses in other vehicles called in? A guy on an SUV roof driving down a highway should have drawn a lot of attention, in my opinion. Hope he gets the help he needs.

Quite a strange story. I don’t know that I’d keep driving down the highway after someone jumped on my roof. If I did keep going, I’d have been on the phone with LE and trying to get to where they were. Not much info to go on, no witnesses in other vehicles called in? A guy on an SUV roof driving down a highway should have drawn a lot of attention, in my opinion. Hope he gets the help he needs.

the driver probably didn't realize he was on the roof

6’4” 240 lbs.
IMO. Hard to miss, I would have been scared to stop.
I hope he is found safe

She stated she believes he is endangered and possibly suffering from hallucinations, possibly due to alcohol withdrawal,” Deputy Scott Costa wrote in his report.

Costa spoke with another Robbie’s employee, who is the last person to see him. She said she heard a disturbance on the property around 7:30 a.m. Sunday, and when she checked to see what was going on, she saw Miller “yelling incoherently at vehicles,” Costa stated.

The passing cars slowed down as Miller yelled and waived at them. He jumped on the roof of one of them, an SUV, and the car kept going, taking Miller away until his co-worker could no longer see him.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/florida-keys/article239138888.html#storylink=cpy

I don’t know about that driver, but I’m pretty sure I’d hear or feel 200+ lbs land on my roof. Even if he got up by grabbing the luggage rack and pulling himself up, I have to think that someone that weight, struggling to climb up, is going to have an impact on the SUV that the driver could feel. MOO

Impaired? Drugs? They could have stopped after a few feet. I need to look at google maps to refresh my memory. In some areas along there - there is no where to pull off, no shoulder, right at waters edge.

Stopping holds up traffic both ways - there is only US1 - no other road or detour.

When there is a wreck, it takes forever to get traffic moving again.

Mile Marker 77
Robbies is on gulfside
Star of the Sea motel Oceanside

Bridge (no businesses) from MM 77 until you get to MM 79.8 where there is
Bud and Mary’s Oceanside
Marina gulfside

@Curiousobserver - I think this is the start of Islamorada at MM79.8?
Worldwide Sportsman is about a mile past that?
They went North then they had to pass those cameras. I doubt he even made it that far though. He must have ditched or fell, perhaps tumbled into the brush.

My guess is he let go intentionally and rolled in to the mangroves. That means he could be face down in 6" of water along the edge of US1. He could have rolled down an embankment and accessibility from the water may be the only option. The terrain will make a huge difference in recovery if that is the issue. There are barely any shoulders along US1 in some areas.

Mile Marker Chart

81.2 = Worldwide Sportsman; gulfside; Moose Lodge
81.3 = Green Turtle Inn; Oceanside. Part of the structure survived the 1935 Hurricane.
80.0 = Roadside park, gulfside
79.8 = Tea Table Relief Bridge. Papa Joe's Marina, gulfside; Bud and Mary's, oceanside. The north approach washed out during Hurricane Donna, 1960.
79.1 = Tea Table Channel Bridge
78.0 = Indian Key Bridge. Lignumvitae Key Botanical Site (State) gulfside in distance. Lignumvitae Key Boat Ramp gulfside; Indian Key Archaeological Site, San Pedro Underwater State Park and Alligator Lighthouse, oceanside at a distance. This is area is of historic significance. The islands of Indian Key, Lignumvitae Key and Alligator Lighthouse are prominent artifacts.
77.1 = Lignumvitae Bridge
77.0 = Robbie's Marina, gulfside; Star of the Sea motel, oceanside
74.0 = Angelo's Country Store, Port Antigua community, gulfside
74.3 = Safety Harbor community entrance, gulfside

My guess is he let go intentionally and rolled in to the mangroves. That means he could be face down in 6" of water along the edge of US1. He could have rolled down an embankment and accessibility from the water may be the only option. The terrain will make a huge difference in recovery if that is the issue. There are barely any shoulders along US1 in some areas.

Mile Marker Chart

81.2 = Worldwide Sportsman; gulfside; Moose Lodge
81.3 = Green Turtle Inn; Oceanside. Part of the structure survived the 1935 Hurricane.
80.0 = Roadside park, gulfside
79.8 = Tea Table Relief Bridge. Papa Joe's Marina, gulfside; Bud and Mary's, oceanside. The north approach washed out during Hurricane Donna, 1960.
79.1 = Tea Table Channel Bridge
= Indian Key Bridge. Lignumvitae Key Botanical Site (State) gulfside in distance. Lignumvitae Key Boat Ramp gulfside; Indian Key Archaeological Site, San Pedro Underwater State Park and Alligator Lighthouse, oceanside at a distance. This is area is of historic significance. The islands of Indian Key, Lignumvitae Key and Alligator Lighthouse are prominent artifacts.
77.1 = Lignumvitae Bridge
77.0 = Robbie's Marina, gulfside; Star of the Sea motel, oceanside
74.0 = Angelo's Country Store, Port Antigua community, gulfside
74.3 = Safety Harbor community entrance, gulfside

There is a big camera on the pole at 80. Its across from a hotel. I have a house in Marathon and was just there last week for the Christmas holiday. They should be able to tell if he made it to mile marker 80 or not.

My hope would be that the driver and or passenger of this vehicle has relayed any information to the authorities. Possible mile markers, anything really, that would help to locate his whereabouts.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back