KY KY - Owensboro, Pleasant Valley Rd, WhtMale 25-40, UP87, curly hair, eyeglasses, Jan'90

In the post-mortem, he has a Hispanic/Mediterranean look that's not really captured in the reconstruction, IMO. It might be worth looking at missing Hispanic men, although that wasn't really a distinction made at the time.

What's left of his face is almost like a mask. The skin and hair are still there, but the underlying bone structure is crushed. It reminds me of face transplants, how the same face can look so different when on a different skull.

I'm surprised NamUS included a PM of him. Usually when an UID is found and their body or face is in poor shape, their postmortem photos aren't made public. I've never seen a PM photo of someone whose body condition is described as "traumatic injuries" that wasn't significantly retouched. I will say that the reconstruction does a good job at depicting him, as it is very similar to the postmortem of his face, down to the facial expression (which is kind of disturbing).

Looking at the single PM photo we have, his features do not look destroyed or badly disfigured to me at all, even though it's fairly obvious that someone did strike/punch him in the face pretty violently and it looks like they might have broken his nose. His right eye also looks kind of swollen. Still, I'm surprised, seeing as his body condition is listed as totally unrecognizable on NamUS. I think that a possible explanation for the surprisingly good condition of his face compared to how it is described is that the photo was taken after the body was cleaned and embalmed. He probably looked a lot worse immediately upon discovery, in my opinion. Doe Network also says the PM was retouched, but I can't really discern where and how any retouching was applied.

He looks quite a bit older than 25, in my opinion, and possibly even older than 40. I also agree with Nancy Drew RN about his ancestry -- based on his appearance alone, I wouldn't be that surprised if he did turn out to be Hispanic, but the place where he was found and the surrounding areas don't seem to have sizable Hispanic populations.

Also, sorry to double post, but I'm not sure if this has been brought up here and I think it might be potentially significant.

Two other UID cases from Kentucky are somewhat similar to this case:
1568UMKY
1568UMKY - Unidentified Male
1568UMKY.jpg

Reconstruction of the victim.

Date of Discovery: May 9, 1976
Location of Discovery: Shepherdsville, Bullitt County, Kentucky
Estimated Date of Death: 1 day or more prior
State of Remains: Burned
Cause of Death: Homicide

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 18-22 years old
Race: White
Sex: Male
Height: 5'6" to 5'7"
Weight: 140 to 150 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown to auburn at the ends; wore a mustache. The auburn coloration may have been a result of the body being burned.
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Healed fracture to left side of lower jaw. A- blood type. Circumcised.

Identifiers
Dentals: Available. 1st Molar, upper left, rotted off at gum. Lower right bicuspid grown crooked in toward toungue. It appeared the subject had never received any dental work.
Fingerprints: Available.
DNA: Not available.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Blue fishnet undershirt, a white cotton western style shirt with snap buttons, and light blue cotton denim jeans. No belt was found on the jeans. The victim was found with no shoes or socks. The victim’s actual shoe size is 7.5E, but he more than likely wore 8D.
Jewelry: None.
Additional Personal Items: None.

Circumstances of Discovery
On May 9, 1976, the body of a young white male was found, badly burned and partly decomposed. There were signs of sexual assault.

It is possible that the victim may have been a mechanic who specialized in Volkswagens and may possibly be from Canada.

296UMKY

296UMKY - Unidentified Male
296UMKY1.jpg
296UMKY.jpg

Reconstruction of the victim by Catyana Falsetti and Teresa Redman.

Date of Discovery: April 9, 1989
Location of Discovery: Williamstown, Grant County, Kentucky
Estimated Date of Death: Days prior
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction
Cause of Death: Homicide by gunshot

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 25-39 years old
Race: White
Sex: Male
Height: 6'5"
Weight: 220 lbs.
Hair Color: Medium brown hair that was styled as a crew-cut with short sideburns.
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers
Dentals: Available. Extensive dental work, the victim would have had a "perfect smile."
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Insufficient DNA for profiling.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: None.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Discovery
The victim was found in a tobacco barn off KY 22, about 7.5 miles west of Dry Ridge. His hands were severed from the body, indicating his killer or killers wanted to conceal his identity.
---------------

• All 3 victims were found murdered in Kentucky within days of their deaths, and all of their bodies had been mutilated or otherwise damaged in a way that hindered identification.
  • Like the thread topic Doe, 1976 John Doe had been sexually assaulted or raped. There's no evidence that the 1989 John Doe was sexually abused in any way, but he was found totally nude and could have been too decomposed to test for any sort of sexual assault.
  • Like the thread topic Doe, 1989 JD was found completely nude and shot to death. Also like our main UID, his hands had also been cut off. The 1976 JD's hands were badly burned by the killer, but they were still intact.
  • The 1989 case is so similar to the thread topic that I actually thought that they were the same case before I knew much about either victim. It wasn't until after I started looking into these cases that I realized that they were two distinct people killed at two different times in two different places. The 1976 case is not as similar to either of the other two cases as they are to each other, but it still makes me wonder.

Brutal Western Kentucky killing remains unsolved 29 years later

Two hunters were trudging through the woods of Western Kentucky when they discovered something horrible.

The mutilated naked body of a young man laid in the overgrown weeds. He’d been dead for at least two days. His hands and feet were lopped off, his teeth yanked out, his skull crushed.

When police responded to that remote area in Daviess County on Jan. 7, 1990, they discovered the man had also been savagely beaten and shot several times.

Authorities didn’t know who the man was. He didn’t match the description of any missing person from the area. And the lack of fingerprints and teeth, along with severe damage to his face, made identification impossible.

They couldn’t even decipher how he ended up out there. There was no way a vehicle squeezed itself into such a far-flung location. And if the man was carried to the spot where his body was found, his killer would have had to walk for miles.
---
Over the past 29 years, the case has veered into areas that would make even the most lurid TV show blush. There have been false identifications, accusations of Satanism and, for brief periods, the looming specter of multiple serial killers.

Brutal Western Kentucky killing remains unsolved 29 years later | Webb

Updated Namus link: WARNING POST MORTEM PHOTOS. (And the recon made from a post mortem photo is pretty creepy too...)

Unidentified Person Case

Ruleouts:

MP1666 Lindsey Baker, Jr 06/01/1989 Alexander NC
MP20747 Ronald Janes 12/27/1989 Jefferson KY
MP1972 Allyn Kellar 03/25/1986 Adams NE
MP35538 Michael Mccormick 12/07/1989 Chemung NY
MP9491 David Mize 04/18/1989 DeSoto MS
MP9041 Jerry Plaster 04/16/1988 Manassas VA

Added to ruleouts:

MP5617, Steven Bunch from Kentucky
MP25564, Timothy Keays from Oregon.

Just for (my own) clarification, this thread is for this UID...
NamUs
The Doe Network
(I call him Waldo...I keep losing him and he’s already been misidentified once! :D Plus, he did have glasses and he kind of looks like him in the recon! Sure helps me to remember him better!)

I spent the better part of yesterday on this case and I found a few things that I’m not sure exactly what to make of...yet. This poor guy suffered. A lot. It’s heartbreaking to me. I do really feel like this is Henry Richard Eubank. I just created a thread for him yesterday that contains the links to his case:

KY - KY - Henry Richard Eubank Jr., 33, Louisville, 19 May 1988

I found quite a few articles actually that are in and of themselves disturbing, but they contain important information; likely related to more than one of our KY cases (some we may not have on our radar). I hope I get these links right, but the date and source are accurate in case the links don’t work.

Last edited:
FWIW, and keep in mind I’m not at all familiar with any serial killers in the area at the time (or any serial killer for that matter), I think we could be looking at the victim(s) of a serial killer, but there is so much convolution among the cases and media and different theories. I think it would be beneficial to look at these cases for what facts are known. Individually, first, and then find connections if any exist. Serial killers and patterns and such don’t have to be completely ignored but I do feel like each case has been clouded with preconceived notions.

For me, upon first trying to even find additional information on “Waldo”, I couldn’t differentiate his case from that of, say... “John W Coolaid” (UP86, Williamstown, 1989), thus the reason I gave them names I could refer to them as. Otherwise there were several UIDs who were simply “murdered, assaulted, no hands/feet..maybe homosexual, maybe Satanic cult member/victim”.

I’m in no position to suggest anything to anyone when it comes to how to search, what to look for, or what theories may be ridiculous or not, I rarely practice what I preach lol. But I think identifying “Waldo” or “John W Coolaid” or whatever name/method helps you remember the individual, is priority in cases like these. Not to say that isn’t everyone’s priority (and I’ll probably head straight over to a different thread and post something contradictory to what I just suggested) but I just wanted to say that. Again, FWIW they’re JMHOs.

ETA: This was pretty much a ‘note to self’ :oops:

Thank you to everyone who’s even reading this. It means that “Waldo” has not been forgotten! There’s still a chance for him to be identified and I’m confident we can help make that happen!

Last edited:
January 10, 1990. Messenger-Inquirer, Owensboro, KY.

January 9, 1990. The Courier-Journal, Louisville, KY.

January 8, 1990. Messenger-Inquirer, Owensboro, KY.

January 16, 1990. Messenger-Inquirer, Owensboro, KY.

<modsnip: removed images of full length articles>

Last edited by a moderator:
This article contains two separate and unrelated cases, I snipped the unrelated case and quoted only Waldo’s story. Some clues I have not seen before!
'You just want to know what really happened'
By James Mayse The Messenger-Inquirer
Apr 20, 2015 | The first of a 2-part series.

<snip>

The man had been beaten in the face so severely his features were obliterated, and he had been shot six times by a .22 caliber firearm in the head, chest and arm. The man had been sexually assaulted, and his hands and feet had been severed and were not with the rest of the body.

"Whoever killed this man took a considerable amount of time to do it," Cain said last week. "What happened didn't happen in the heat of the moment. Someone had (the victim) somewhere for an extended amount of time."

<modsnip: copyright>

The victim was determined to have been a white male with a "farmer's tan," indicating he had come from a warmer region, at least some place warmer than Daviess County in January, Cain said. The man was determined to have been between 5 feet, 2 inches to 5 feet, 6 inches tall, with dark brown hair that was graying at the temples, and brown eyes.

The man had a slight build of about 130 pounds, and had no identifying scars or tattoos, according to Cain's case notes. The man had been shot above and behind the left ear, which suggested an execution-style killing, Cain said.

Evidence taken from the scene and body included five .22 caliber bullets, a pair of prescription eyeglasses and semen from the sexual assault. Detectives were able to determine the man had been dead about 36 hours at the time the body was found, Cain said.

A witness who lived down the road from the wooded patch reported he had seen a **white and green Ford pickup truck, likely an early 1970s model**, driving in the area on the evening before the body was found, sheriff's department Detective Jerry Spurrier said.

<snip>

Cain said although the "farmer's tan" indicated the victim appeared to be from somewhere other than Owensboro, investigators believe someone from the region is involved with the man's killing.

"That body was dumped in an location that you almost have to know the area to find it," Cain said. "We felt pretty confident there was a local connection.

"Whoever left that body there knew eventually he was going to be found," Cain said.

Because investigators believe the killing has a Daviess County connection, the feeling was that someone would eventually provide the tip that would help solve the case.

"That information was never forthcoming," Cain said. But investigators will still actively investigate leads, and would like to hear from anyone with possible information on the victim's identity, Cain said.

"By and large, what solves cases are people talking," Cain said. "... I don't know who this guy was, but I know he didn't deserve to die like that." (You can say that again! And again...)

Information about mutilated man found on Pleasant Valley Road should be given to the Daviess County Sheriff's Department, by calling (270) 685-8444.

Last edited:
I also agree with Nancy Drew RN about his ancestry -- based on his appearance alone, I wouldn't be that surprised if he did turn out to be Hispanic, but the place where he was found and the surrounding areas don't seem to have sizable Hispanic populations.

I'm clearly a late-comer and don't know ANYWHERE near as much about this case as y'all do, but I am pretty local to the area and just wanted to point out that migrant farming is a huge part of life around here. Granted, January isn't the typical time to find migrant workers in this specific area, but it does provide a transient population of people with Hispanic ancestry.

While I'm here, I also feel the need to mention this guy: 3923DMIN - Steven W. Hendricks
He disappeared from nearby two years earlier... after his girlfriend was found burned to death in her bed. He *roughly* matches the description and if the removal of the hands and feet don't have anything to do with identification as you guys have theorized, it sounds like a revenge killing to me. I don't know; it's just a thought that would really nicely tie up two local mysteries.

I'm clearly a late-comer and don't know ANYWHERE near as much about this case as y'all do, but I am pretty local to the area and just wanted to point out that migrant farming is a huge part of life around here. Granted, January isn't the typical time to find migrant workers in this specific area, but it does provide a transient population of people with Hispanic ancestry.

While I'm here, I also feel the need to mention this guy: 3923DMIN - Steven W. Hendricks
He disappeared from nearby two years earlier... after his girlfriend was found burned to death in her bed. He *roughly* matches the description and if the removal of the hands and feet don't have anything to do with identification as you guys have theorized, it sounds like a revenge killing to me. I don't know; it's just a thought that would really nicely tie up two local mysteries.
WOW! :eek: I'd never seen this case! Thank you for the local insight, it's always helpful!

So, Steven's girlfriend was killed in his home. Is it thought that they were both killed by the same person(s), or could Steven have killed her and then fled? Doe Network doesn't offer too much info about that part of it, but you're right, he does fit the description! Although he's listed as being "white", he could easily be Hispanic (or similar) in my opinion. Interesting, indeed.

Hello guys, does anyone know if his Namus has been down before? His Namus is down as of now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back