Deadly Bushfires in Australia, 2019/2020

Billionaire 'Twiggy' Forrest donates $70m for bushfire fund

Mining billionaire Andrew Forrest has made a donation of $70 million in the wake of the bushfire crisis.
The major donation will go into a fire fund from his non-profit organisation Minderoo Foundation.
The $70 million fund is "designed to not only respond to the ongoing crisis and rebuild communities, but to establish long-term resilience by funding research into and applying new techniques in fire and disaster relief," the Foundation said in a statement.
"Through the smoke there will be hope."

Reinforcements arrive! Australians cheer US firefighters at Sydney airport joining bushfire battle | Daily Mail Online

Reinforcements arrive! Australians cheer US firefighters walking through Sydney airport to join battle against bushfires that have killed 26 people ahead of new 100F heatwave
  • Firefighters arrived in Sydney Thursday to join teams battling blazes in Victoria
  • US officials say another 100 are being sent, with 159 already in Australia
  • The fires have killed 26, destroyed 2,000 homes and scorched 8million hectares
  • It comes as Australian officials warned of more more misery with new heatwave

Footage was shared by New South Wales Rural Fire Service Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons of the reinforcements who will head to Victoria.

'As they came through the arrival gate, those gathered gave a spontaneous and lengthy round of applause, reflecting the gratitude and admiration we all have for their generosity and assistance,' Fitzsimmons said Thursday.

NIFC spokeswoman Carrie Bilbao told ABC that the firefighters were receiving training on poisonous snakes and insects native to the region before heading out.

Thankyou !!

Sydney Opera House lights up sails in support of Bushfire Relief

Australia’s most iconic building has lit its sails in a demonstration of support for those impacted by the ongoing bushfires.

The Sydney Opera House lit up its sails on Saturday night in a show of support for those in fire-ravaged communities and the firefighters who are still fighting the blaze.

The colourful display featured images from photographers who have been capturing the fires that have been going on for months.

The message is a positive one and has a special focus on the moments of solidarity and hope that were captured on camera over the last three months.

6915361a4cc554cf4faaa575aa368d85

'Tragic news' as Victorian firefighter dies near Omeo

Victorian firefighter Bill Slade dies near Omeo as Australia's fires crisis continues

Victorian authorities have confirmed firefighter Bill Slade has died while working on a blaze near Omeo.

Key points:
  • Mr Slade's death takes Victoria's bushfire death toll to four
  • Another Forest Fire Management Victoria employee was killed in a road crash
  • Victoria Police will investigate the most recent death and report to the coroner

Chris Hardman, chief fire officer at Forest Fire Management Victoria (FFMV), said it was "with great sadness" he could confirm Mr Slade, 60, was involved in an incident while working in the area around the East Gippsland town.

He said Mr Slade was working as a member of a taskforce in the Anglers Rest area when he was struck by a tree.

"This is a significant loss for the Forest Fire Management Victoria family and for the Victorian community as a whole," he said.

Mr Slade, who worked for 40 years in firefighting and with Parks Victoria, is survived by his wife Carol, daughter Steph and son Ethan.

RIP x

We’re for Sydney | Daily Telegraph

Prime Minister Scott Morrison says he will take to cabinet a proposal to establish a royal commission into the bushfire disasters as he admits mistakes were made in his handling of the crisis.

Mr Morrison told the ABC’s David Speers he believed there were three main issues to be addressed — the operation response to the fires, how federal, states and terrorises worked together, and lastly an acknowledgement of “the climate we now live in and how … climate change has affected that”.

“That is not an issue of dispute,” he said.

“That is an issue of acknowledgement.”

Ma the rains a comin' :):):)

Rain could cause more issues on fire grounds

Accumulated totals of 30 to 80 millimetres are forecast, with some areas with thunderstorms predicted to received up to 100mm of rain.

Strong falls are possible for fire grounds in the Snowy Mountains, southwest of Sydney and south coast regions and will likely persist through to the weekend.

Though the wet weather will likely assist fire crews working to contain the blazes, Ms Scully has warned it could be a “double-edged sword”.

“Hopefully some of this heavy rainfall will fall over fire sites and help control or even extinguish fires,” she said.

“But it’s a bit of a double-edged sword because heavy rainfall and gusty thunderstorms bring the potential for flash flooding, particularly in the burnt-out areas of NSW and Victoria which are now vulnerable to landslips and trees coming down.”

I only discovered this thread tonight. I live in the lower Blue Mountains and know only too well how dangerous and fast-moving bushfires are. We’re surrounded by bush on all sides and there’s only one road in/out. It's only a 1 minute walk from our house and we’re in the bush. Here’s a pic taken at the rear of a house only 5 houses away from ours on 26 Dec 2001.

2001.jpg

We were threatened again in 2002 but 2013 was the worst by far when 193 homes only 15 minutes away were completely destroyed. So why do we choose to live here? Because it’s beautiful and serene. You wake to the sound of birdsong and the only sound at night is that of owls and possums running across the roof. Neighbours are super friendly and look out for one another. Most of us are huge nature lovers and what’s happening to the wildlife in the fire affected areas is causing huge anxiety and distress to everyone, both here and overseas. It was estimated that the fires on Kangaroo Island alone wiped out an estimated 30% of its koala population. This has now been upgraded to 80% with an estimated 40,000 of these beautiful little animals destroyed. 40,000!!!!! Huge numbers of those that have been rescued have had to be euthanized. The images and videos of the koalas and other animals are beyond heartbreaking. Meanwhile back in NSW, wildlife experts say over a billion animals are now dead and the survivors have no food sources. I feel like I’m living on another planet.

I pray for the families of those who have lost their lives, homes, animals, businesses etc. Words can’t describe the superhuman effort put in by the firies, approx. 90% of whom are volunteers. They are true heroes in every sense of the word. Bless them all.

Attachments

• 2001.jpg
    2001.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 13
It is great that celebrities are donating massive amounts I just feel uneasy about them announcing it. I guess it’s a no win situation if you announce it looks like it could be for the good PR it brings you and if you don’t announce it looks like you haven’t done anything and don’t care. I just hope all the money goes to where it is needed.

There have been numerous articles published where donors and amounts have been given. See the bottom of this article. I believe some of the donors are trying to encourage others to help out, and it's certainly working.

Why Celeste Barber's bushfire fundraiser is more complicated than it seems

As to how the money is to be spent, donations have been made to different charities and fundraisers and some people have specifically mentioned how they would like their donation to be used. In addition, the government Disaster Relief and Recovery Fund was originally set up to enable the Red Cross to disburse funds to help people prepare for, cope with and recover from disasters. The following explains how donations to that fund will be used relating to the bushfires.

https://reliefweb.int/report/australia/australian-bushfires-how-we-re-using-funds

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...ears-on-the-darkest-days-20200114-p53rc0.html

During the "darkest moments" he has been on the phone to Lisa, in tears.

Those moments have included driving to the scene of the fatal fire truck accident that claimed the lives of two young fathers, RFS volunteers, in the days just before Christmas, and the unutterably sad task of calling on the bereaved families afterwards.

Then came the funerals during which Fitzsimmons, in full dress uniform, had to pin medals on the small children of those men. Such times take him back to George's death, when Lauren, the older of his two daughters, was also just a tot.

The funerals are particularly hard, but he says: "I would never forgive myself for the day it got any easier. I think I would have lost a part of myself."

Great article a great leader :)

Thanks TGY ... mine had sound. Odd.

FWIW, I've corresponded with the NSW Wildlife Council to suggest they work the full wording "New South Wales Wildlife Council" into their title as the world may not think to search for just NSW. They responded that the title field is limited space, so I've advised them to work the full wording into the description so it will come up better in a google search. Hopefully that will help their cause somewhat.

PS: They were surprised this was on TV in Canada. I assured them Canadians are well aware of their plight and hearts are with them.

Thanks TGY ... mine had sound. Odd.

FWIW, I've corresponded with the NSW Wildlife Council to suggest they work the full wording "New South Wales Wildlife Council" into their title as the world may not think to search for just NSW. They responded that the title field is limited space, so I've advised them to work the full wording into the description so it will come up better in a google search. Hopefully that will help their cause somewhat.

PS: They were surprised this was on TV in Canada. I assured them Canadians are well aware of their plight and hearts are with them.

Good thinking 99.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crime.junkie
Back