Found Deceased AK - Kathleen Henry, 30, video of murder victim found, Anchorage, 9 Oct 2019 *Arrest*

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
He booked the hotel room? Did he book it ahead of time? Did the hotel's CCTV show how the victim entered the hotel? Had Brian worked at that particular hotel?

Did he plan in advance on picking up some woman from Bean's Café to torture until she died from Monday to Wednesday that week? Where was his wife? Did he tell her he was working at his hospitality job?

Did he tell his wife that her adoring husband was just going on one of his solo trips around Alaska which he liked to document on film and would be gone for a few days?

Reading what's on the videos makes me sick to my stomach too...and furious. Prison will be too comfortable for this man. May he be on toilet cleaning duties for the whole 99 years of his long waste of a life.

MOO, I can't see him beginning this torture and killing of women as a recent development. I hope LE continues to investigate him because there's more. He didn't start killing only after getting the opportunity to marry and gain citizenship, live in a nice house, own all kinds of tech toys and a "chick-magnet truck". No, he was driven to torture defenseless women, and he was driven to continue to do what he liked to do-- kill.

Ex-SA man faces 99 years for Alaska murders, rapes | Independent on Saturday

"Police investigations revealed that Smith had booked into the hotel from September 2 to 4."

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
He booked the hotel room? Did he book it ahead of time? Did the hotel's CCTV show how the victim entered the hotel? Had Brian worked at that particular hotel?

Did he plan in advance on picking up some woman from Bean's Café to torture until she died from Monday to Wednesday that week? Where was his wife? Did he tell her he was working at his hospitality job?

Did he tell his wife that her adoring husband was just going on one of his solo trips around Alaska which he liked to document on film and would be gone for a few days?

Reading what's on the videos makes me sick to my stomach too...and furious. Prison will be too comfortable for this man. May he be on toilet cleaning duties for the whole 99 years of his long waste of a life.

MOO, I can't see him beginning this torture and killing of women as a recent development. I hope LE continues to investigate him because there's more. He didn't start killing only after getting the opportunity to marry and gain citizenship, live in a nice house, own all kinds of tech toys and a "chick-magnet truck". No, he was driven to torture defenseless women, and he was driven to continue to do what he liked to do-- kill.

Ex-SA man faces 99 years for Alaska murders, rapes | Independent on Saturday

"Police investigations revealed that Smith had booked into the hotel from September 2 to 4."

BBM

Wow. Such great questions.

I wonder just how many "solo trips" he had taken before.

Most hotel walls are pretty thin. How did he get away with the horrible things he did in that hotel room without someone hearing it?

And you're right, there has to be CCTV of how KJH entered the hotel.

And like you said, this was not a recent development. He'd done this many times before the 2 women we know of (JMO). It was planned, organized and brutal. He just might have gotten away with it if not for the SD card.

And he probably came to the US knowing he would use his new wife to unknowingly "fund" his evil habits and have a nice house and all the gadgets he desired. It doesn't sound like he had much $$ of his own.

It would be very difficult, IMO, to search for any victims of his in South Africa. There's probably some info within his Quora ramblings. Don't know much about his past really. He said he was in the military. I think he lived near Cape Town? I dug back to find the article where his family gives limited info about his past.
Full article available here: Alaska-moorde: Nagmerrie ‘nimmereindigend’, vertel familielid
It doesn't allow me to copy and paste... i'm still trying to figure out how to translate it.
PatLaurel posted the translation which I snipped for reference. I copied the google translation below to make it easier to read again. This mentions a locale and that he was into the hospitality industry there. Where's Natal? What we need is an interview from his old girlfriend. It seems he was really careful about revealing his killer side as his family, sisters, guy friends seemed surprised by his arrest. I wonder if LE would want to look into his South African life and his past. This guy could be a prolific serial killer!
I made it! It says nothing new... But there is a sentence that caught my attention...snipped....After Brian and his then girlfriend moved to Natal, he started working in the hospitality industry...snipped...
Snipped by Me but copied below for easier readability.

Google translation:
" VIDEO GAMES
After Brian and his then girlfriend moved to Natal, he started working in the hospitality industry. During this time he started playing online video games and met Stephanie through it. When he emigrated in 2014, it was his first overseas trip. He and Stephanie were married in the same year at a Christian ceremony in Anchorage. This is their first marriage and neither of them have children."

BBM

Last edited:
He moved to Alaska in 2014, what was he doing in SA before then, doubt this is this clown's first rodeo, imo, speculation.
Going to look for a SA missing /murdered site.
ETA wish they included dates on this page..
Services | SAPS (South African Police Service)

Thank You. The link you posted has a long list of missing people. There's so many, some just seem to disappear. I see it has advanced search, but no way to search by locale. Alaska LE should just get on the phone and call South Africa Police. Law Enforcement should be working together in Alaska and South Africa to investigate BSS thoroughly. All those missing people have worried families and friends.

:oops: It's not going to be easy finding any of his victims over in South Africa though. Searched images of Natal and it's got lovely beaches and tall buildings. The population for KwaZulu-Natal is 10-11 million people.

He moved to Alaska in 2014, what was he doing in SA before then, doubt this is this clown's first rodeo, imo, speculation.
Going to look for a SA missing /murdered site.
ETA wish they included dates on this page..
Services | SAPS (South African Police Service)

It's a time-consuming endeavor to try to learn more about BSS...he rambles on and is long-winded. I wish he'd share what he was really doing! It probably stroked his ego to think people on Quora were that interested in him. Maybe LE should've appealed to his ego to get him talking more. I don't know if LE can pressure him for more confessions as he now has an appointed attorney?

https://www.quora.com/What-was-it-like-to-live-in-South-Africa-during-apartheid

I grew up in the 70s and 80s under apartheid. I also spent 2 years in the SA Military. I grew up in a town called Queenstown that is situated between 2 homelands.

Some people here have said they think BSS might have made up some of these questions so he could answer them. It seems likely.

Let's hope South Africa is investigating BSS. I ran across another African case of a serial killer that got nabbed there for murders about the same time as the BSS case. It's a different locale in Africa, and his motives are different, but it just does help to know LE are working to catch these killers. Surprised at the detailed news articles and how fast African authorities have brought him to Justice.

https://leadership.ng/2019/09/21/forces-push-me-to-kill-girls-says-rivers-serial-killer/

Websleuth link to the case:
AFRICA - Gracious David West, Nigeria Serial Killer

Let's hope South Africa is investigating BSS. I ran across another African case of a serial killer that got nabbed there for murders about the same time as the BSS case. It's a different locale in Africa, and his motives are different, but it just does help to know LE are working to catch these killers. Surprised at the detailed news articles and how fast African authorities have brought him to Justice.

https://leadership.ng/2019/09/21/forces-push-me-to-kill-girls-says-rivers-serial-killer/

Websleuth link to the case:
AFRICA - Gracious David West, Nigeria Serial Killer

Not relevant but, at some point, in 2018, BSS wanted to know "What are the best/most interesting tourist attractions in Nigeria?".
I wonder what lies behind that question?!

Has anyone come across information to suggest the perp ever returned to SA for a visit, particularly in 2018?
speculation, imo.
SOUTH AFRICA - Marie Ostbo, 21, Sedgefield, Norwegian student, 18 Apr 2018

He recorded SB singing at the Alaska Folk Festival in 2018. That was from April 9 to April 15, 2018.
But oddly the video was uploaded on January 30, 2018?

ETA: @dotr SB performed at the UUA Wendy Williamson Auditorium on January 27th, 2018. Perhaps BSS incorrectly named the Youtube video on purpose?

Last edited:
I looked through all the active missing person reports I could find for Anchorage. There doesn't seem to be other cases since he arrived (2014) that fit his apparent MO (Native women, precariously housed). But it's definitely chilling to hear that comment above that he made many "solo" trips around Alaska, so there may have been others - outside Anchorage.

As to the link posted above by dotr about the missing Norwegian - I would bet quite a lot of money that this guy would NOT kill a white woman. I read a lot of his quora posts and he has built up quite a mythology around "white people as victims of oppression". His hate is directed towards people of colour specifically and they are the targets/funnel of his rage.

Found at the same place as Kathleen Jo Henry and last seen at the same place as Veronica Abouchuk. Coincidences?

"An Anchorage woman whose remains were found off the Seward Highway in May, months after she was reported missing, was killed, troopers said Monday."

"Amy Skeek, Shirley’s older sister, said Shirley was last seen getting into a black truck outside Bean’s Cafe in December 2018."

Anchorage woman whose remains were found earlier this year was slain, troopers say

BBM
JMO

If we could place bets on who we think did it...

Waiting to see if there's any connection to BSS in the death of Shirley Skeek. It's a possibility because she was also a part of the Bean's Café center, like the other two victims. In addition, Shirley Skeek was seen being picked up by a black truck near there. (BSS had a black truck.) Plus, her body was found in the same general area as the first BSS victim.

Found this site that may help us find more of BSS victims.
Justice for Native Women

I guess there's also some speculation about Shirley's brother due to a missing sister-in-law.
Justice for Native Women: Shirley Skeek, Unsolved Alaskan Murder from 2019.

"Shirley is sister-in-law to Linda Skeek who disappeared in 2016. Linda's husband, Thomas Skeek Jr, was charged but eventually acquitted of Linda's murder in 2019. It is unclear if the cases are thought to be connected. Linda's body has never been recovered."

His wife really does have blinders on.

IMO, she doesn't sound like plans to leave him, she says they did not discuss "his case" when she visits him in jail and that she wants to check on "how he's mending".

Her actions don't make any sense to me. My actions would be completely different. I tend to get extremely livid when my husband rapes, tortures and murders women. Especially when he films himself and his victim so there is no doubt of his guilt. I tend to get even more upset when I find out he's confessed to a second victim. ... But hey, maybe that's just me.

But then again, I'd hate to be in her shoes.

She doesn't see that he has used her the entire time. She's blind.

His wife really does have blinders on.

IMO, she doesn't sound like plans to leave him, she says they did not discuss "his case" when she visits him in jail and that she wants to check on "how he's mending".

Her actions don't make any sense to me. My actions would be completely different. I tend to get extremely livid when my husband rapes, tortures and murders women. Especially when he films himself and his victim so there is no doubt of his guilt. I tend to get even more upset when I find out he's confessed to a second victim. ... But hey, maybe that's just me.

But then again, I'd hate to be in her shoes.

She doesn't see that he has used her the entire time. She's blind.
I'd leave a guy for less. She's focused on him, rather than the victims.

"This week, Stephanie Bissland, the wife of South African, Brian Steven Smith, who has been accused of brutally murdering two women in Anchorage, Alaska, spoke to the Independent of Saturday (...)"... Finally!

Durban love link to Alaska killing suspect | Independent on Saturday

Oh dear, she's made no progress. :( I agree with all of you.
I feel somewhat sorry for her as she clings to her romantic fantasies and doesn't want to wake up. However, I'm also :mad: disgusted by her lack of awareness that some women are dead and their families miss them and that
(1) he tortured and killed innocent women for his pleasure while in this fake marriage with her
(2) he went so far as to have sex with a dead body, and that doesn't seem to bother her either
(3) she was totally used from day one. He conveniently "fell in fake love" with her to be able to get her to sponsor and support his move to Alaska.
(4) He pretended to be impressed with her accomplishments and interested in their relationship while planning to beat women to death. Every single thing about their marriage was a lie.

She's worried about if he's on the mend! :eek:

Bumping forward, hoping this still applies:
02/24/2020
02:30 PM Courtroom 603, Nesbett Courthouse Discovery Hearing

This is from the latest article.

She added that she and Smith exchanged letters and she had visited Smith, who remains behind bars. His bail was set at $2m (R29.5m). She said they never discussed the case, but “just us”.

“Some people are hot on why I haven’t divorced him, why would I stand behind him, why visit?

“ I am his wife. I take care of his welfare, how he is mending. I can do things for him from the outside, I think he needs to communicate with someone. I am helping the part of the man I married,” she said.

BBM, and MOO is it comes across as sounding like a misguided romantic tale now -- Like "just us" and the heck with those dead women.

Bumping forward, hoping this still applies:
02/24/2020
02:30 PM Courtroom 603, Nesbett Courthouse Discovery Hearing

This is from the latest article.

She added that she and Smith exchanged letters and she had visited Smith, who remains behind bars. His bail was set at $2m (R29.5m). She said they never discussed the case, but “just us”.

“Some people are hot on why I haven’t divorced him, why would I stand behind him, why visit?

“ I am his wife. I take care of his welfare, how he is mending. I can do things for him from the outside, I think he needs to communicate with someone. I am helping the part of the man I married,” she said.

BBM, and MOO is it comes across as sounding like a misguided romantic tale now -- Like "just us" and the heck with those dead women.
Mrs B definitely needs higher standard. He's not the victim here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back