TX TX - Heidi Broussard, 33, Fnd Deceased, & Margo Carey, 2 weeks, Fnd Alive, Austin, 12 Dec 2019 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll never believe HB left her car unlocked with her red purse in plain view -- Takes nothing to touch lock fob-- it's instinctual in my opinion.
MOO

For me - yes. However, in our HOA the number one thing we have to tell people is to lock their cars so as not to be an attractive nuisance. Our neighborhood watch sees people leave their car doors open, garage doors open etc. Open gates. Not everyone has a sense of vigilance about that kind of thing - especially if they'll be back to the car in a minute, have a newborn, etc. While to me it seems like something I wouldn't do, I don't think it's farfetched that she would do it for five-ish minutes while she wrangled a baby, books, a dog, a car seat, her mail, etc.

For me - yes. However, in our HOA the number one thing we have to tell people is to lock their cars so as not to be an attractive nuisance. Our neighborhood watch sees people leave their car doors open, garage doors open etc. Open gates. Not everyone has a sense of vigilance about that kind of thing - especially if they'll be back to the car in a minute, have a newborn, etc. While to me it seems like something I wouldn't do, I don't think it's farfetched that she would do it for five-ish minutes while she wrangled a baby, books, a dog, a car seat, her mail, etc.

same thing here, Lex police on the local news weekly about rash of car thefts, reminding city dwellers to lock their vehicles.
We talked yesterday about how easy it is to hit the fob again, or even double click. Plus, SC was beyond nervous, he might have unlocked & not recalled doing so. Jmo

You posted my thoughts. She could have even forgotten to do it.. or her hands were just not on the keys properly to do it when she'd finished unloading whatever she'd unloaded, which is at least her baby in carseat/carrier (which is bulky and awkward and sometimes even heavy, imho), whichever books she had just purchased for Silas, possibly her diaperbag/backpack, which may or may not have been secured on her back just to walk up to her apartment from the car.. it's actually a lot of work to be a mom and a lot of lugging, imho. Two weeks post-baby and her first day on her own without her mom helping her, having to get out the door at a certain time, baby and older child all dressed and clean, and herself presentable enough to go to a book sale, all by.. what was it when they left, 7:30am?? I could see her being a bit overwhelmed for her first time out on her own with the two and the lugging, etc. She may have known she was going back out in just a few, so perhaps didn't require her purse right away, but I'm thinking she could have simply forgotten to lock the car door.
Also, I never used to be vigilant about locking my car doors, until my car was entered one day and it ended up costing me over two thousand dollars. Sometimes it takes real life lessons to become vigilant. imo.

So I went and found the 2015 Nissan Versa Sedan manual to try to answer some of the questions.

Download 2015 Nissan Versa - Owner's Manual PDF (374 Pages)

Child lock on rear doors - it would have been equiped with it.
Power window lock - if the car had power windows, it would have had the option to 'lock' the windows, not allowing windows other than the drivers window to open/close.
Auto lock - the car would automatically lock when the car reached 15 mph (24 km/h) with all the doors closed.
Wow!
That car was a #weapon!

@UnderstandBlue I think you answered this before, do you think MF drove back roads to Houston, avoiding the interstate? Also, wonder if there could be any vacant houses along the route she did take, maybe even one with a For Rent sign in the yard. Thinking a vacant house would be a good pull off, on the pretense of looking at a place for MF to move to. Moo

This was also something that was so unusual to SC that he told police about it as noted in the arrest documents.

@deugirtni yes. And if the thing that was the most important to her was the thing she made sure to secure - that sweet baby - then it’s hard to judge her for leaving her purse in the car for what she thought was a few minutes and not the rest of her life. :(

@UnderstandBlue I think you answered this before, do you think MF drove back roads to Houston, avoiding the interstate? Also, wonder if there could be any vacant houses along the route she did take, maybe even one with a For Rent sign in the yard. Thinking a vacant house would be a good pull off, on the pretense of looking at a place for MF to move to. Moo

my thought has been she took the route most of us take - 71 east to 290 to beltway 8. It’s the most direct. Since earlier ALPR got her in Giddings, it was her routine route too.

The wording of the affidavit appears to follow to the Texas statute on kidnapping:

PENAL CODE
TITLE 5. OFFENSES AGAINST THE PERSON
CHAPTER 20. KIDNAPPING, UNLAWFUL RESTRAINT, AND
SMUGGLING OF PERSONS
Sec. 20.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:

(1) "Restrain" means to restrict a person's movements without consent, so as to interfere substantially with the person's liberty, by moving the person from one place to another or by confining the person. Restraint is "without consent" if it is accomplished by:
(A) force, intimidation, or deception; or
(B) any means, including acquiescence of the victim, if:
(i) the victim is a child who is less than 14 years of age or an incompetent person and the parent, guardian, or person or institution acting in loco parentis has not acquiesced in the movement or confinement;
JMO
PENAL CODE CHAPTER 20. KIDNAPPING, UNLAWFUL RESTRAINT, ANDSMUGGLING OF PERSONS

Seems this question (kidnapping charge) comes up quite often on WS.

Kidnapping charge is thrown in quite often on nearly all murder cases -- it's an aggravator. It basically only means that before the victim was killed they were held against their will.

We've seen the same even in no-body cases where it's unknown where the murder occurred -- just like with HB murder location unknown.

In the Dulos case, an attorney that's been providing commentary to WTIC/61 since JD disappeared provided a good explanation of how kidnapping charge nearly always compliments felony murder. Although a different case, the legal concept is the same -- short video at link below. I found it worthy of 5 minutes if you want to understand felony charges.

Atty Jim Bergenn discusses the Dulos case

Last edited:
my thought has been she took the route most of us take - 71 east to 290 to beltway 8. It’s the most direct. Since earlier ALPR got her in Giddings, it was her routine route too.
follow to that first question, are there any off roads btwn Austin and Houston that aren't populated? For example if she drove off the main hwy to strangle and dump her body originally?

follow to that first question, are there any off roads btwn Austin and Houston that aren't populated? For example if she drove off the main hwy to strangle and dump her body originally?

well yes. But honestly the route I laid out has many empty stretches (including the stretch over the Brazos) that are just nothingness. Farmland. Not notable. Fairly few cars. Texas is vast. The space between here and there involves several hours of very rural quiet miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoopyxxoo31