Found Deceased FL - Kelly Glover, 37, visiting from Utah, Ft Lauderdale, 9 Jan 2020

Every drug has horror stories.
This could have just as easily happened on a psychedelic, a barbiturate, meth, etc.
I’m not saying at all that she was taking illegal drugs but I’m pretty sure her husband/family would know if she was prescribed ambien or her friend would know if she had given one of her own to her. That would be a pretty big chunk of the investigation automatically cleared up even before toxicology.

If you “fight” a sleep aid like ambien or lunesta past the 30-45 minute window that it’s supposed to put you down, “riding the ambien walrus” happens. Basically you do a bunch of strange stuff like order 500 rolls of toilet paper off amazon or go for a drive or cook, etc.
I’ve been on sleep aids since I was 16 after seeing neurology and having a sleep study to determine I actually do have a problem with my sleep phases. A lot of people get prescribed it in short term cases like “I’m really stressed and having a hard time sleeping” or “my work shift changed so my internal clock is off”... no, no, no. Such a strong drug does NOT need to be given unless all other options are exhausted, like zzzquil.

Let’s not advocate for it to be taken off the market though, it’s a highly controlled substance already. It being misperscribed by doctors not educated on issues of sleep disturbances (like many other drugs) is the issue.

Tbh, the worst for me is always robotussin/NyQuil. Those types of sleep aids lead me to the refrigerator, ugh.

Direct quote by the husband "The second her friend called me, I already knew."
Knew what? That she was dead? That would suggest she had shown signs of being suicidal.
I am still in the Ambien camp myself.
I think he meant that something was terribly wrong; i.e. she was hurt/missing etc..

...because she had not answered any of his calls or texts as she normally did.

Perhaps I am reading that statement incorrectly.

Her husband says Kelly was still up, but I don't know how he would know that. She might have fallen asleep (with help of Ambien, alcohol, or not) and then gotten up around 2 a.m. I think just what a friend of one of Kelly's siblings said on FB, that Kelly was sleepwalking or otherwise confused for some reason.

She could have been texting him or on the phone with him. He's 2 hours earlier, so after a long work day, that would be the ideal time for her to call him.

I believe she must have been sleepwalking. Lucid people don't leave hotel doors open and walk outside in their PJs at 2 am. If she had to be up early for work, she may have been worried about getting very little sleep (west to east time changes are horrible!), so took a sleep aid. I don't see anything nefarious or "foul play" about the scenario. It's just very sad.

We will need to wait on the toxicology/autopsy results here. At first glance it looks like a casual walk around the patio wouldn't put you close to the water unless you walked into the landscaping. An alligator attack there seems pretty unlikely. A walkway around the lake is a different story. Iguanas bolt when you get close to them and sometimes hiss at you, they can really startle you because they make a lot of noise. She may have fallen in after being startled. Still- she should have been able to swim.

I can see her leaving the door ajar to avoid the loud click it makes when you latch it which would wake up her friend.

Very sad regardless the cause.

I'm so sad for the loss of this promising life. How scary for her friend also.

I'm flabbergasted at all the Ambien speculation here. It is pretty much accepted that any random person would take it? I would never personally just assume someone took any kind of RX. Where did that even come from? And would we stay on this topic as long if it had been for example weed? Or would the poster have been scolded and the theory dismissed?

In addition to that, I would like to add the following info:
"Guidelines from NICE, the European Sleep Research Society, and the American College of Physicians recommend medication for insomnia (including possibly zolpidem) only as a second line treatment after nonpharmacological treatment options (e.g. cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia).[6][7][8] This is based in part on a 2012 review which found that zolpidem's effectiveness is nearly as much due to psychological effects as to the medication itself.[15]

ETA: MOO and no judgement or criticism intended

I'm so sad for the loss of this promising life. How scary for her friend also.

I'm flabbergasted at all the Ambien speculation here. It is pretty much accepted that any random person would take it? I would never personally just assume someone took any kind of RX. Where did that even come from? And would we stay on this topic as long if it had been for example weed? Or would the poster have been scolded and the theory dismissed?

In addition to that, I would like to add the following info:
"Guidelines from NICE, the European Sleep Research Society, and the American College of Physicians recommend medication for insomnia (including possibly zolpidem) only as a second line treatment after nonpharmacological treatment options (e.g. cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia).[6][7][8] This is based in part on a 2012 review which found that zolpidem's effectiveness is nearly as much due to psychological effects as to the medication itself.[15]

ETA: MOO and no judgement or criticism intended

MOO: Sleeping walking has been widely reported as a side effect of sleep aids though: FDA issues strong warning over risks of common sleeping pills

Sorry, I skipped a lot of pages in this thread. Has anyone said or has there been any MSM citing that she was actually prescribed or taking Ambien?

no, it was some people’s speculation based on the description of the video footage, the end result of what happened to her, and that LE said no foul play is suspected. MOO

omg. thanks for this. the ambien walrus is real. ;)

i hope we get some answers soon. i hate these intriguing and confusing cases that never give closure, even though it's not really any of my business, i suppose.

anyway... RIP kelly.
Real enough that after hubby fell asleep behind the wheel twice when I was in the car with him, I drove after that. I was in the process of trying to get him to quit driving altogether after the two car accidents in two weeks, when he passed away. One of the car accidents culminated in a lawsuit. FME

Real enough that after hubby fell asleep behind the wheel twice when I was in the car with him, I drove after that. I was in the process of trying to get him to quit driving altogether after the two car accidents in two weeks, when he passed away. One of the car accidents culminated in a lawsuit. FME

I'm so sorry :(

The "Ambien speculation" is because there's no other scenario that makes much sense.

If she were only looking to get ice for her water bottle, she might have left the door open and not worn shoes, but she would never have gone outside. Why go outside at 2 am with no shoes, phone, or hotel key card? Because you're not actually awake and you don't know what you're doing.

I'm not saying she for sure took Ambien - just that I don't think she was lucid.

MOO of course.

MOO: Sleeping walking has been widely reported as a side effect of sleep aids though: FDA issues strong warning over risks of common sleeping pills

Imo, a person who has a certain type of genetic makeup which does not make them sleep walk while non medicated, may have a higher chance, of this occurring, to others taking the same medication.

I took Ambien for years, and never had a problem, and I am shocked, with my luck. However, that said, my physician will no longer prescribe it, and I take a benzo for sleep, which is so much less effective imo.

It would be nice to have a simple cheap test that would give a definitive answer if one could handle Ambien without sleepwalking. Perhaps, one day, because they have an oral swab DNA test for medications that are more suitable for some than others, and which ones are not, but not too sure if this aspect of Ambien could be detected.

Imo, a person who has a certain type of genetic makeup which does not make them sleep walk while non medicated, may have a higher chance, of this occurring, to others taking the same medication.

I took Ambien for years, and never had a problem, and I am shocked, with my luck. However, that said, my physician will no longer prescribe it, and I take a benzo for sleep, which is so much less effective imo.

It would be nice to have a simple cheap test that would give a definitive answer if one could handle Ambien without sleepwalking. Perhaps, one day, because they have an oral swab DNA test for medications that are more suitable for some than others, and which ones are not, but not too sure if this aspect of Ambien could be detected.
I suppose the method would be to test it out at home first with a trusted person. I once traveled to Asia with a person who took Ambien for the first time on that flight. Not only did he not sleep he was paranoid and anxiety-ridden the entire time.

Why would you need shoes for suicide!?
You wouldn't and if you are going to drown yourself, you'd either jump from a height much larger than the embankment that overlooks the lake around the hotel or would tie weights/heavy objects around you. The reason for this is because the human brain, even in someone who is suicidal, has a natural instinct to kick, thrash and fight to live once in a scenario like being under water. Suicides where the person just falls into a body of water from a regular height and just stays motionless while they sink are almost nonexistent. It's almost an involuntary reaction. If you jump from a very high point into water, the impact renders you incapacitated and unable to elicit that reaction.

Nothing KG did logically makes sense to support a theory of suicide. She brought her water bottle with her and left her hotel door ajar. The strong favorite at this point has to be that her intention was to fill her water bottle with something or it had something in it she planned to drink while going wherever she was going and planned to be right back to the room. It's a little strange that she'd leave the door ajar with her female friend sleeping and unaware she was leaving at 2 AM but if the theories about some sleep or mind altering medication affected her mental state, then leaving the door ajar may have made sense to her at the time but never will to us.

Even if it's determined that she was on medication and it impacted her mental state and she threw herself into the lake, that to me still isn't a suicide because to me it's that if she would've taken her own life if lucid which there are no indications she would've. I still think suicide is the least likely culprit right now. I personally believe that:

- KG either woke up and needed something (water/ice/fresh air/etc.) or couldn't sleep and needed the same
- She took her water bottle to fill it with ice and was planning on being right back to the room
- She left the room and left the door slightly ajar planning to immediately return and not wanting to wake her friend. Even in a hotel with electronic keycards, hotel doors have heavy hardware and swiping the card and pulling the door open does make noise so perhaps she thought her friend would stay asleep if she just left it propped open. Much easier to go in and out without making noise

After that, it gets fuzzy and there is only speculation. We don't know if there was an ice machine on the floor she was staying on or if there was if it was working. We also don't know the proximity of the back stairwell she was last seen exiting around 2 AM to her room and how long she wandered the halls for which might be a good thing to know too. If security cameras captured her wandering around aimlessly that would support the theory of altered mental state vs. if she walked with a purpose to that stairwell.

As for how she got into the lake, I can only believe at the moment it was accidentally falling but how I can't begin to speculate. Too many questions and not enough answers but I hope for her family's sake they get those when autopsy and other test results come back.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galesr
Back