Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
just after he said “this appears to be an accident” he said “at this time there does not appear to be any foul play expected’
Well sorry but I'm not going to rely anything he says anymore. They blocked people from doing searches from the get go. Told people not to tresspass. I know more than one, person,more than once said check, empty houses, vacation homes, etc. This is either pure incompitence,or a cover up.
MOO

just after he said “this appears to be an accident” he said “at this time there does not appear to be any foul play expected’
Well sorry but I'm not going to rely anything he says anymore. They blocked people from doing searches from the get go. Told people not to tresspass. I know more than one, person,more than once said check, empty houses, vacation homes, etc. This is either pure incompitence,or a cover up.
MOO

I’m confused- how did his coat and glasses get pushed to the 2nd floor if he was trapped between floors? What was it blocked by? I need a visual aid I think, I can’t wrap my head around the logistics. In any case, RIP Harley- you have much love surrounding you

The

there was a flue on the second floor, where they had fallen down ahead of him, is what I assume.
Maybe he climbed onto the roof and into the chimney and it was all dark down below, so he threw his coat and glasses down to see if they went through? But then he somehow got stuck on something?

Why would cutting out drywall help, if the boy was trapped inside a brick chimney?

Didn't it say that because the chimney was 'blocked' between first and second floors, HD was trapped? So if he climbed in from the *top* of the chimney outside the house, and then got stuck but dropped his coat and glasses down so they somehow landed on the 'inside'(???) of the second floor of the house, then why didn't Harley also drop down to the second floor, and how does it come into play in this situation that the chimney was blocked between first and second floors? It seems that there was an opening large enough for the coat to get through into the house onto the second floor, so why didn't HD also drop down and get out the same way? I'm so confused.

Maybe he climbed onto the roof and into the chimney and it was all dark down below, so he threw his coat and glasses down to see if they went through? But then he somehow got stuck on something?

Why would cutting out drywall help, if the boy was trapped inside a brick chimney?

Didn't it say that because the chimney was 'blocked' between first and second floors, HD was trapped? So if he climbed in from the *top* of the chimney outside the house, and then got stuck but dropped his coat and glasses down so they somehow landed on the 'inside'(???) of the second floor of the house, then why didn't Harley also drop down to the second floor, and how does it come into play in this situation that the chimney was blocked between first and second floors? It seems that there was an opening large enough for the coat to get through into the house onto the second floor, so why didn't HD also drop down and get out the same way? I'm so confused.

There was a picture of an officer taking a sledgehammer in the home last night. I’d imagine, they needed to remove the drywall and then careful use the sledgehammer on the bricks.

There were numerous news livestreams last night which is where we all saw drywall being cut. It was quite apparent they were on the 2nd floor.

This case is heartbreaking to me. Teenagers emotions can make them do things that defy any kind of logic. That will always be the case.

I can’t imagine my teens getting caught in a situation like this one, but in life, there are so many other reasons why even though many criticize parents for “tracking” their children, I am grateful to have location data for my teens. In general, I trust my boys. I don’t “spy” on them. The location app our family uses is mostly for safety reasons.

As far as LE’s handling of this case... I don’t know all that they knew/didn’t know. But if the last video surveillance showed him walking in the direction of that house...then I refer to something I always tell me boys when they lose something. “Go back to the place you last saw or ORIGINALLY MOST THOUGHT YOU WOULD FIND YOUR LOST ITEM. And look again MORE CAREFULLY. And even look in nearby areas that don’t make much sense.” I can’t tell you how often this works for me, and my boys come tell me, “You were right Mom, I found it.”

Anyway, hindsight is 20-20. I’m just feeling very sad about this loss of life. Ironically, I just started reading through earlier parts of this thread last night and watching Harley’s videos, having no idea he was about to be (or had already been?) found. :(

Last edited:
My 14yo is a pretty extreme risk taker with little regard for his personal safety. It's one of his more endearing traits. :eek: I could go on and on about his lapses in judgement and some have proved quite injurious.

He would absolutely climb that antennae and get on that roof. However, there's no way he'd try to go down the chimney. He might look in it, throw things down it. But he would realize that 9x13" was going to lead to him getting real stuck, real fast.

I am so sad for Harley and his family. I can't make judgments on LE or anyone because so clearly this is a tragic accident. Young people (and older ones, too, I guess) make all kinds of choices that have bad outcomes never thinking about the worst thing that can happen.

Years ago a man in Iowa went missing and was found nine years later behind a cooler in the grocery store where he worked. Employees often took rests on top of the coolers and he apparently rolled behind the cooler and died. (Body behind cooler in abandoned grocery store ID'd as man who went missing nine years ago)

Young man in Port Chester NY fell through the roof into an elevator shaft at an abandoned hospital and died. Difference for him being found was that he was with friends (Port Chester: Teen dies falling from hospital roof).

It took nine years to find Joshua Maddux in Colorado (https://nypost.com/2015/09/30/body-of-18-year-old-missing-for-7-years-found-in-chimney/).

My point is that these kinds of accidents happen. One poor choice/mistake and catastrophe can happen. We know that teens have not finished developing brain-wise and that their decision-making can be erratic.

My thoughts are with Harley and his family as well as the LEO (who I am sure are assessing what could have been done differently even if the result may have been the same).

Omg what the boy experienced stuck in there for days all because of lazy le . Everything the chief said in his interviews made me think they were focused on him being a run away instead he was dying in a chimney I’m just sooo angry .as a mom and a grandma I have no words I can say about that le agency but pray the ones in my grandchildren towns are better just my opinion

He might look in it, throw things down it. But he would realize that 9x13" was going to lead to him getting real stuck, real fast.

I agree, but if you think about it, Harley was 4'9" 100 pounds. A six foot tall man would be 126 pounds if they were the same proportions.

That is rail thin. I imagine if he stood sideways, there wouldn't be much to him. His build from what I could tell, seemed to be slight too.

He was pretty small. My coworker is 5' and she is tiny and he's smaller and thinner.

My main thought right now is how well Harley's mother knew him. She knew he sometimes needed to "get away", but also that it wasn't like him to run away. She knew when the time came & went that it became out of character for him not to be home. Still, I imagine she will hold herself responsible and live with that grief every single day.

Also... there have been times in my life that I couldn't immediately replace a broken cell phone (mine or my kids') because of the cost. There's no shame in that. I understand that's not a reality some people live in, but it might have been for the Dilly family.

Prayers for everyone that loved Harley in life; I hope they find peace.

I'm trying to picture a chimney in my head so I searched for chimney diagrams and this seems to be a basic diagram of a chimney but I know theirs went through two floors.

y9GbYoF.jpg

If that house was on so many peoples radar why didn't someone just break in to check. I would have accepted minor charges with extenuating circs, would have got a slapped wrist and maybe a fine.
I would've risked trespassing charges if I thought my child was in there and hungry and maybe in danger !
I would not go out to eat and assume he'll come home eventually.
But that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member