Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
R.I.P. Poor dear Harley.
Many young teenagers will only see the antenna tower and chimney as a challenge to be cnquered and posted online. Mis-adventure at it's worst. right up there with caving and that somewhat new obsession of going into empty locked up buildings, tunnels etc. All to be posted on you tube.
IMO- I feel an antenna tower should be considered as a public nuisance. Like a swimming pool. Lock up access or something. Make it more difficult to climb it.
Sad. So very very sad.

So, is this a correct assumption then, that even if he didn’t get stuck and he made it down all the way, he still wouldn’t have been able to get out bc there was no fireplace?

ETA: But his glasses and jacket made it out?
Right? This doesn’t make sense to me either. I’m trying to figure out this fireplace layout and I don’t get it.

In many old homes, the fireplace mantles and bricks are removed. The fireplace openings are then covered with drywall because they are no longer used. The flue and chimney still exist.
True -- except it does not explain the opening where HD's coat and glasses could land if openings are covered. :confused:

Last edited:
Port Clinton homeowner speaks about layout of chimney where body of Harley Dilly was discovered

According to the homeowner, the home was winterized. Water wasn’t running, but the heat was on low.

There’s no fireplace in the home and he said the chimney where Dilly climbed into wasn’t in use.

**A thought I had. With as much emphasis as was placed on the number of times HD bathed during the day, would that tend to insinuate a type of OCD and an individual that didn't like to be dirty/smell?? Why and HOW would he be able to climb into something the size of a cake pan for 1 and for 2 wouldn't he have a fear of getting dirty with as many times as he bathed during the day?** (just a thought that crossed my mind when I found this story and also MOO)

Port Clinton homeowner speaks about layout of chimney where body of Harley Dilly was discovered

According to the homeowner, the home was winterized. Water wasn’t running, but the heat was on low.

There’s no fireplace in the home and he said the chimney where Dilly climbed into wasn’t in use.

**A thought I had. With as much emphasis as was placed on the number of times HD bathed during the day, would that tend to insinuate a type of OCD and an individual that didn't like to be dirty/smell?? Why and HOW would he be able to climb into something the size of a cake pan for 1 and for 2 wouldn't he have a fear of getting dirty with as many times as he bathed during the day?** (just a thought that crossed my mind when I found this story and also MOO)
Would have been wonderful if he could have just gone on home and stayed there.

I can tell that you know that this is total BS, right?

I climbed my neighbors antenna ( on a dare from his son and my cousin) if I were to get ONTO the roof of their house, I would have to JUMP. I'm SHORT, I don't have wings and I didn't wanna fall off a pitched roof. SOOO...needless to say I got caught up in more ways then 1 on my way down. The antenna is a good 2 1/2 foot (maybe a little more)from the house as they act as a lightning rod as well to draw electricity away from the dwelling should lighting strike so it doesn't set the house on fire. (MOO)

R.I.P. Poor dear Harley.
Many young teenagers will only see the antenna tower and chimney as a challenge to be cnquered and posted online. Mis-adventure at it's worst. right up there with caving and that somewhat new obsession of going into empty locked up buildings, tunnels etc. All to be posted on you tube.
IMO- I feel an antenna tower should be considered as a public nuisance. Like a swimming pool. Lock up access or something. Make it more difficult to climb it.
Sad. So very very sad.

I’ll bet the antenna is gone as soon as police say they’re done there. The owner seemed very sad at what has occurred in the phone interview today on channel 19.

Warning / Graphic and Disturbing

This is what they think happened to Josh Maddux. :( He has a thread here.

In Josh’s case:

“Al Born, the county coroner, ruled his death accidental by unknown cause. He believes the teen-ager climbed into the chimney and became stuck, perishing from either exposure or a lack of water and food.

“His feet were down,” Born said. “He was in a fetal position.”

Josh was clad only in a ribbed thermal-type shirt; the rest of his clothes were found within the cabin outside the fireplace, near the hearth.

“The hard tissue showed no signs of any trauma,” Born said. “There were no broken bones There were no knife marks. There were no bullet holes.”

Chimney discovery ends mystery over young man’s disappearance, but questions remain – The Denver Post

Josh’s thread:

Found Deceased - CO - Joshua Maddux, 18, Woodland Park, 8 May 2008
This is so disturbing in so many ways.

So, is this a correct assumption then, that even if he didn’t get stuck and he made it down all the way, he still wouldn’t have been able to get out bc there was no fireplace?

ETA: But his glasses and jacket made it out?

All I can add is I am glad the jacket and glasses fell out .... we might not know for a very long time if ever that he was in that chimney area. Depends on when the owner next made a visit, I guess.

ETA
I think he may have taken his glasses off and put them in the jacket pocket to protect them ... ?

What if....
Harley just looked down the chimney and his glasses fell off.

He went to retrieve them knowing he’d be in trouble if he lost them. :(

Still wondering HOW he fit in a something the size of a cake pan....I know he was small, but he wasn't that small. That's what's disturbing to me. I know kids are flexible, but was he double jointed to the point where he would be able to fit into that tiny little space??

Right? This doesn’t make sense to me either. I’m trying to figure out this fireplace layout and I don’t get it.
Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 12.50.57 PM.png
The flue or chimney in this old house does not exit into lovely antique fireplaces. This was a coal-heated house. Someone took away the coal burners, but the chimney/flue remained and was capped off. It wasn't removed. People don't remove a chimney/flue because it would be outrageously costly to rip out walls to remove the chimney/flue and you might want to use it again.

Harley's coat and glasses were found on the second floor outside the opening of the flue. So either the flue wasn't capped or Harley somehow knocked the cap off the flue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member