Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I have followed this case closely, I never had the heart to watch many of his videos (too sad for me), so I was not aware that he was into exploring abandoned houses (as per a poster above). That makes more sense to me now that he would decide to go down that chimney. However, it makes me a bit more angry that he was not found earlier, since all those agencies, including the FBI would know that he enjoyed exploring abandoned houses. Not that he could have been saved, but (I hate to say it) but his body would have been in better condition. This is one of the saddest cases, and I feel so bad for his family.

I thought maybe Harley pushed his coat through first as a cleaning tool for the space. That the coat would collect soot so he wouldn't get as dirty going down.
The jacket gets stuck. Harley gets stuck. But there is the hole he was able to push the coat through.

Jumping from the antenna to the roof had to be a challenge. And the roof was probably wet and slippery. It's a steep roof. He didn't strike me as a specially athletic kid, but oh well.

SBM for focus. The antenna is braced against the house with a metal brace just under the roof line. You can see the brace on the video here: Missing teenager Harley Dilly found dead in chimney .

As a kid who often went and explored abandoned things, he didn't have to be too athletic, just wiry and plan it out. When he climbed up. he could have stepped on the brace and then onto the roof.

Jumping from the antenna to the roof had to be a challenge. And the roof was probably wet and slippery. It's a steep roof. He didn't strike me as a specially athletic kid, but oh well. So weird. But a scenario where someone hides a body in a chimney, by inserting the body from the opening in the roof, taking a HUGE risk being seen, makes even less sense to me. If the chimney had a opening inside the home, that would make sense. When the news broke that he was found in the chimney that's what I imagined, that he was put there from the inside of the home. From the roof makes no sense whatsoever. Looks like a freak accident. And this was exactly what I meant when I posted that it bothered me immensely that Harley, as a 14-year-old boy, was spending nights away from his home and being unaccounted for for hours/days without anyone even blinking. Teenagers do stupid stuff and get into big trouble because they do stuff like this in a somewhat innocent way, without really thinking much about the consequences. What a absolute shame that he had to go like that.

if you can watch closely or get good photo you can see there is a metal wrap or pole that holds the antenna at the roof line. He could probably have got across from the antenna to the roof that way without too much difficulty

It looks white in this video, but it looked more like a metal rod in others. Screenshot:
(ETA
Oops, I see Kaen allay posted the clearer pic above)

DD648A4C-C4A3-4350-892E-E09D76ABF024.jpeg

I wonder how far the antenna was from the roof, or was it right by it?
CTY-harley-3.jpg

From the photos - the antenna appears close enough that Harley could step on to the roof overhang.

I got really curious if this is a thing that happens often so I started digging for cases on children and adults that died in chimneys. I can find only one child in recent history that this happened to. In 1998 James England (who was a developmentally disabled 12yo) climbed into a chimney and died.

Many cases are of adults getting stuck for various reasons (pranks, robbery, repairs) and many of the chimney's are far larger than the one Harley was found in.

All the other cases I'm finding involve suspected foul play or murder. I really hope LE digs deep into this. It's possible that Harley was just that fluke but I have to say I thought it was an accident yesterday and now I'm not so sure.

Have you all come across any others?

2015 Joshua Vernon Maddux - 18yo FOUL PLAY suspected
2011 Robert Thompson -14yo FOUL PLAY / Murder
1989 WI Unidentified - FOUL PLAY / Murder
2015 Cody Caldwell, 19yo (Burglary, died after fire lit) OHIO
2011 John Stoick Brooklyn 57 year old man - unknown
2010 Jacquelyn Kotarac - 26yo female attempting to gain access to her boyfriend houses

I am still Gobsmacked by how many LEO personal,and other entities were on this. Not just Hickman, but The freaking FBI,among others.
Not a single one of them thought to check that house, inside and out. Not a single one thought in spite of there being no sign of breaking,and entering, that maybe there was. Not a single one has ever heard of a cat burglar, or the fact there have been many cases of just such a thing where there was Zero sign of a break in.Not a single one really listened to all the people saying check empty,unoccupied,rental,vacation, homes etc. I know he was likely dead by the time the search was on, but he could at least been found much sooner. Hopefully all LEO,and other agencies take note. Leave no stone unturned, question everything. Get permission from homeowners to check it out, or Search Warrant. Listen when people say. Check vacant,homes......... I'm sorry but Border Protection, and he was stuck in that Chimney a cross the street the whole time.
MOO

Was it because they needed to seek a warrant to search it?
Did they request yet denied one?

Took a break but back to read posts.
I gotta tell you guys that this case has messed with me more than any other case I've followed. I cried all day, yesterday.
I have a son (now 17) who reminds me so much of HD. So it hit close waay to close to home.
Harley lived his life with an open heart and just wanted people to like him.
Which they did!
I just hope he's looking down from heaven and seeing all of us strangers who've fallen in love with him. The thought certainly doesn't make any of this less tragic..but I'm hoping he thinks it's pretty cool!

upload_2020-1-15_14-40-18.jpeg

Example for illustration purposes only

Watching the drone video posted above, the attic window is visible. Although the dimensions of the centered chimney in this example are larger than 13 x 9 inches, I think it's a good visual of the chimney drop for a house of 1850's era. It seems to me that Harley would have been both trapped and suspended inside the chimney walls without the ability to climb back up the chimney to get out the way he entered. Such a tragic end for this young teen. MOO

How to Walk on a Steep Roof | Ten Reviewed
"It takes guts to climb high to the rooftop and walk especially when it’s steep. You can walk on a steep roof if you’re brave, well trained and physically fit. You can only achieve this if you have all the necessary safety equipment to ensure total safety. This equipment will also help keep you from any form of damage even as you stand or make any movement on the roof. However, factor like climate and shingle could influence you to work but with the right gadget, you’re safe. Safety gadget assures you with firm fit and grips, supports yet promotes comfort and stability in full range. This article is to guide you on the needed safety and precautions to prevent injuries and also save lives."

I am still Gobsmacked by how many LEO personal,and other entities were on this. Not just Hickman, but The freaking FBI,among others.
Not a single one of them thought to check that house, inside and out. Not a single one thought in spite of there being no sign of breaking,and entering, that maybe there was. Not a single one has ever heard of a cat burglar, or the fact there have been many cases of just such a thing where there was Zero sign of a break in.Not a single one really listened to all the people saying check empty,unoccupied,rental,vacation, homes etc. I know he was likely dead by the time the search was on, but he could at least been found much sooner. Hopefully all LEO,and other agencies take note. Leave no stone unturned, question everything. Get permission from homeowners to check it out, or Search Warrant. Listen when people say. Check vacant,homes......... I'm sorry but Border Protection, and he was stuck in that Chimney a cross the street the whole time.
MOO
BBM. ITA. There may have been an unlocked window off that front porch that he climbed through. I don't believe Harley climbed the tower in the dark. I also bet it wasn't the first time he had entered that house.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member