Found Deceased AL - Paighton Houston, 29, left bar with 2 men, Birmingham, 20 Dec 2019 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jo in Calif

Reaction score
BREAKING: – Updated – Trussville woman missing after leaving Birmingham bar

“Paighton Houston was last seen at approximately 10:45 p.m. at the Tin Roof located in the 2700 block of 7th Avenue South,” Sgt. Johnny Williams said. “She was last seen leaving the location with two heavy set black males. It was reported that Paighton appeared to have left the location willingly with the two males.”

Paighton Houston sent a text message to a friend just after midnight on Friday stating, “idk who im with so if I call please answer. I feel in trouble.” Her mother said her bank account had not been accessed since Friday.

THREAD #1
THREAD #2

THREAD #3
Thread #4

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't doubt the family wants the truth. The point I was trying to make was if abuse of a corpse was the only crime committed would the family want her drug use made public to pursue what I consider a minor crime. Abuse was only recently made a felony instead of a misdemeanor.

I wouldn't consider it a "minor crime" if someone buried my child's body in a hole with trash and left his family wondering where he was, what happened to him, etc. I feel it's an aborrant crime to commit.
Her history is out there; she was the focus and willing participant in an advertisement type video for an addiction center. I don't think she was ashamed or that it was kept a secret. If she did actually OD I'd like to think her family would make something good come from it, in her memory and for whom she was, a wonderful woman with a terrible disease.

My impression of that statement is that he was allowing for however/if his client was somehow intoxicated that evening and doesn't have full recollection of the events. I mean, they were out at a bar, having drinks (we can assume) so... I think he's covering that base with his language. I think it's smart thinking on his part, on behalf of his client.
Tommy Spina is one of the highest profile, best Criminal attorneys in Birmingham and/or Alabama.

Tommy Spina is one of the highest profile, best Criminal attorneys in Birmingham and/or Alabama.

Last summer we had a thread that went completely off the rails for weeks based on the reputation of the attorney representing a property owner. Weeks later, we learned the attorney was the wife's cousin -- it was a big nothingburger! In other words, I'm not reading anything into the name of the attorney that responded for the witness at the request of her dad.

Last summer we had a thread that went completely off the rails for weeks based on the reputation of the attorney representing a property owner. Weeks later, we learned the attorney was the wife's cousin -- it was a big nothingburger! In other words, I'm not reading anything into the name of the attorney that responded for the witness at the request of her dad.
That's so understandable and great. I only posted regarding his reputation due to a colleague/friend who has done contact mitigation work for him. I'm in Alabama & also do mitigation work for Criminal Defense attorneys on death penalty cases.

That's so understandable and great. I only posted regarding his reputation due to a colleague/friend who has done contact mitigation work for him. I'm in Alabama & also do mitigation work for Criminal Defense attorneys on death penalty cases.
I'm a licensed LCISW in Alabama so I have access to Alabama court records and a lot more.

What would be a reason for her or anyone to hire “one of the highest profile, best CRIMINAL attorneys in Birmingham?” I’m not sleuthing her or asking anyone else to sleuth her or the best criminal attorney in Birmingham, I’m just wondering why anyone would need the best criminal attorney in aBirmingham. IMO

What would be a reason for her or anyone to hire “one of the highest profile, best CRIMINAL attorneys in Birmingham?” I’m not sleuthing her or asking anyone else to sleuth her or the best criminal attorney in Birmingham, I’m just wondering why anyone would need the best criminal attorney in aBirmingham. IMO
I'd venture to say the reasoning is the same as for anyone who has hired a hotshot attorney--to make an impression, to signify one's seriousness in responding to accusations. I have mixed feelings about the whole thing with the coworker and what level of involvement she may have had, but in my experience, noted criminal attorneys usually are better known in an area than others because they get more media attention and have a reputation for being aggressive, and they're usually not opposed to publicity that would further that reputation. I don't mean that disparagingly toward the attorney or the client. But I can see why she might want that perception in the media, especially since she feels bombarded and may hope people will back off if she brings in a well-known lawyer, and why he would be drawn to participating.

Overkill coming from the direction of a helicopter father?

His client may, or may not be involved in anything untoward, but Tommy Spina involvement does say one thing about his client's family - they have money and they are willing to spend it.

I think I interpreted the attorney's statement differently beginning with the title of the news article that accompanied the statement:

Lawyer refutes social media 'bashers' attacks on friend of Paighton Houston

My interpretation may have been different if the title read "Lawyer hired by witness in Paighton Houston investigation for the sole purpose of communicating to Law Enforcement."

Also, I further understood that the media bashing was about allegations the witness was withholding information, changing her story, or not cooperating in the investigation (read on WS posts before deleted by mods). If lawyer targeting the same rumors, I think his statement (bolded by o/p) was to emphasize that witness was in-fact cooperating or else his sole services would not be necessary.

MOO

I would be surprised if the attorney had anything to do with the title of the news article that quotes him, but maybe a high powered attorney could have that kind of influence and pull with a small town publication, I don’t know.
Interesting to consider how a newspaper article’s title influences how people perceive the story.

Last edited:
I have my own theory about why someone would hire an attorney, given the circumstances. Not
necessarily criminal defense related.

What the text says to me, is that the person she texted knew she was somewhere with someone, just maybe not who she was with.

My theory is that PH was probably the designated person to pick up something for her and another party to continue the party back at a residence. That turned into a bad situation.
the original persons described to LE, probably do exist IMO, but may not have been inside the bar, or even at the bar. Maybe in the parking lot or near by, so there was probably some partial truth to the original account. Keep in mind, that we only know what the family was told. We do not know the extent of what LE was told. The initial reporting was based off the missing persons report. For all the reasons discussed in these threads regarding drugs and public sentiment, LE may not have felt it would be productive to go into detail once they interviewed friends and coworkers.

I have my own theory about why someone would hire an attorney, given the circumstances. Not
necessarily criminal defense related.

What the text says to me, is that the person she texted knew she was somewhere with someone, just maybe not who she was with.

My theory is that PH was probably the designated person to pick up something for her and another party to continue the party back at a residence. That turned into a bad situation.
the original persons described to LE, probably do exist IMO, but may not have been inside the bar, or even at the bar. Maybe in the parking lot or near by, so there was probably some partial truth to the original account. Keep in mind, that we only know what the family was told. We do not know the extent of what LE was told. The initial reporting was based off the missing persons report. For all the reasons discussed in these threads regarding drugs and public sentiment, LE may not have felt it would be productive to go into detail once they interviewed friends and coworkers.
I agree with this. LE has been extremely tight lipped about this whole case. I will refrain from posting anything until LE gives a presser or more information,

IMO, anyone who truly cares about justice has to be concerned about false accusations & wrongful convictions. Even the court of public opinion has the power to ruin a person's life and livelihood! I have no doubt that if she'd spoken out personally, the vitriol and condemnation throw at her by the public (even without evidence to back it up) would be more than anyone could handle - "very young" or not.

I'm glad she has a good lawyer - especially if (as I believe so far) she's been truthful and was not involved in harming Paighton.

[snipped for clarity]
Keep in mind, that we only know what the family was told. We do not know the extent of what LE was told.

I think this is SO important!

I'd go even farther and say that we only know what the family told LE. It so easy to innocently misinterpret, misremember or misspeak during a panicked phone call! And then that call was related to other family members who then relayed it to LE. I don't have total confidence in info that was exchanged verbally 2 or 3 times, then simply repeated by LE & the media.

THEORETICAL example: "I last saw her around 10:45; she was talking to some guys I don't know" could be interpreted and repeated as "She left at 10:45 with two strangers" - but those two statements describe completely different scenarios, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23