Press conference regarding previously undisclosed evidence scheduled for a January 16th at 1 p.m.

Sorry, didn't mean to post this twice; just wanted to edit the title. Any ideas on how to remove the second posting and edit the title or is that an admin thing? Thanks

"...to discuss the evidence, a new initiative to share information with the public on the case, and a scientific technique now being utilized in the effort to advance the investigation."

I wonder if they're going to use genetic DNA to try to identify some of the victims?

I read that they’ll be using familial DNA profiling which is what caught the Golden Stste killer and John Bittrolff.

They are just trying to get in front of the Netflix adaptation of Lost Girls which premieres at Sundance in less than two weeks. My guess is they will say they’re employing familial DNA & make some references to tactics used in Bittrolf & EAR-ONS cases.

Maybe I’m just jaded after SCPD failed to deliver Shannon’s 911 call after being order to release it by NYS Supreme Court without any recourse. I just hope the Netflix movie ratchets up the pressure on these guys

New York cops to release 'previously undisclosed' evidence in cold case murders of at least 10 people whose remains were found dumped along a highway near Gilgo Beach in 2010

Thursday's announcement comes 10 years after a search for Shannan Gilbert, 24, led to the grisly discovery of 10 sets of human remains.

Cops to release 'previously undisclosed' evidence in notorious unsolved 'Giglo Beach' cold case | Daily Mail Online

To add: Article confirms NY state officials are allowing for forensic genealogy to be used in this complicated case (even though it is not officially allowed in NY). If you do not mind me stating Forensic genealogy is NOT the same as famillial DNA testing.

Famillial DNA testing is usually done to confirm identity of someone who you already suspect it might be with comparing DNA with direct family members - parents or siblings. Or match happens when there is direct hit in database such as NamUs, Codis etc, again - with parents, siblings or children.

Genealogy is different beast - searching through multiple family trees of many ancestors and far away relatives you never heard off.

I am absolutely thrilled with finally some movement in this case.

Anyone know in how many hours is press conference from now on?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood
Back