FL - Megan Todt 42, Alek 13, Tyler 11, Zoe 4, & dog Breezy, Celebration, 6 Jan 2020 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, but no. That's just the motion to unseal. The actual affidavit has a lot more info - the news orgs have it and are trickling out the info, but I'd love to have it all in one document without any interpretation. It's probably on PACER for purchase, but I don't think I'll do that. Yet...
@Kindred is it possible you can get this document?
- thanks for getting the response on the RCL /chloe lawsuit

I’m “sitting this one out”, but bringing over some old notes...
Sadly I/we have endless reference here on this subject.

“Family Annihilators”: Understanding What Drives Fathers to Kill | TIME.com

“The picture that emerged shows that men who kill their families were most likely to commit their crimes on Sundays and in August, times when children are typically out of school. The most common method was stabbing; the second was carbon monoxide poisoning. More than half of the men were in their 30s and more than 80% committed or tried to commit suicide after killing their children. While previous research found that “annihilators” are often characterized by failure, most of the men in the current sample were employed — and had jobs ranging from surgeon to librarian to taxi driver.“

——

10 Notorious Cases of Familicide - Oddee

———

Why Ordinary People Murder Their Families

“Known as "family annihilators", these people, most always men, have a profound need for control that drives them to destroy their family when they can no longer provide for them financially or when the family has been divided by divorce. (With men who commit murder-suicides there tends to be a catalyst such as a financial or personal defeat that they view as catastrophic, while women who kill loved ones are more likely to have a history of mental-health conditions like postpartum psychosis, as in the case of Andrea Yates, the Texas mother who drowned her five young children in 2001.)“

——-

Characteristics of family killers revealed by first taxonomy study

“Family annihilators have received little attention as a separate category of killer," said Professor David Wilson, one of the paper's three authors, and Director of the Centre of Applied Criminology at Birmingham City University. "Often they are treated like spree or serial murderers, a view which presupposes traits, such as the idea that the murderer 'snaps', or that after killing their partner or children the killer may force a stand-off with the police."“

Snip

“Over half of these men, 55%, were in their thirties; 10% were in their twenties and the oldest was discovered to be 59.

August was found to be the most common month for the killing to take place, accounting for 20% of cases. Just under half of all murders were committed over weekends, especially on a Sunday.“

[..]

“81% of the men attempted suicide after the act, which refutes the traditional idea that family annihilators may force the police to shoot them, as is common with spree murderers. There were no recorded cases of stand-offs with the law.”
I’ve added these to our media thread - thank you for the research.
—-
since the oldest victim was 13 my guess is he used a gun
JMO

ANTHONY Todt paid $278,908.51 to settle a lawsuit filed against his physical therapy practice just days before police believe he murdered his wife, three children and the family's dog.

I see this was to pay back investors against whose loans he defaulted. This one was the largest loan, and paid first and in preference to paying the rent. I wonder who the lender was?

To keep the cycle going, Todt charged for procedures that were never performed and then funneled payments from Medicaid, Medicare and private health insurance into his bank accounts, agents said. That way, he was able to cover the automated withdrawals to the short-term lenders.

"No, it's me," Todt told investigators.

When he was asked why he did it, Todt said it was “easier” that trying to borrow money.

He said he defrauded the government to “keep pace” with personal loans.

“When asked if he was living above his means, Todt replied, ‘That's the best way to put it,’ ” according to the federal records.

Even though he agreed to plead guilty and meet with an attorney to work out the details of his federal prosecution, Todt didn’t follow up with the agents after the December 4, 2019 conversation.

Investigators met with his employees, who said Todt didn’t return from Florida in December to treat patients in Connecticut as planned. He kept in touch with one employee through sporadic text messages that month. But workers said some of their paychecks bounced. Then, they said, they stopped getting checks. So they stopped showing up for work and both locations closed.
Feds Accused Dad in Celebration Slaying Case of Health Care Fraud

Thank you for all those sharing info on annihilators. It just makes me so sick to think of his family and what he did to them. Their bodies have been in that house since late December. I am hoping he shot them in their sleep so they didnt know it was coming or feel pain. The question is, if he did use a gun why didn't he just shoot himself afterward if he really wanted to commit suicide? That was a lame attempt with what he did. He is so heinous and evil. This has been a rough week. Kelly Glover, Harley Dilly and now this.

I’m “sitting this one out”, but bringing over some old notes...
Sadly I/we have endless reference here on this subject.

“Family Annihilators”: Understanding What Drives Fathers to Kill | TIME.com

“The picture that emerged shows that men who kill their families were most likely to commit their crimes on Sundays and in August, times when children are typically out of school. The most common method was stabbing; the second was carbon monoxide poisoning. More than half of the men were in their 30s and more than 80% committed or tried to commit suicide after killing their children. While previous research found that “annihilators” are often characterized by failure, most of the men in the current sample were employed — and had jobs ranging from surgeon to librarian to taxi driver.“

——

10 Notorious Cases of Familicide - Oddee

———

Why Ordinary People Murder Their Families

“Known as "family annihilators", these people, most always men, have a profound need for control that drives them to destroy their family when they can no longer provide for them financially or when the family has been divided by divorce. (With men who commit murder-suicides there tends to be a catalyst such as a financial or personal defeat that they view as catastrophic, while women who kill loved ones are more likely to have a history of mental-health conditions like postpartum psychosis, as in the case of Andrea Yates, the Texas mother who drowned her five young children in 2001.)“

——-

Characteristics of family killers revealed by first taxonomy study

“Family annihilators have received little attention as a separate category of killer," said Professor David Wilson, one of the paper's three authors, and Director of the Centre of Applied Criminology at Birmingham City University. "Often they are treated like spree or serial murderers, a view which presupposes traits, such as the idea that the murderer 'snaps', or that after killing their partner or children the killer may force a stand-off with the police."“

Snip

“Over half of these men, 55%, were in their thirties; 10% were in their twenties and the oldest was discovered to be 59.

August was found to be the most common month for the killing to take place, accounting for 20% of cases. Just under half of all murders were committed over weekends, especially on a Sunday.“

[..]

“81% of the men attempted suicide after the act, which refutes the traditional idea that family annihilators may force the police to shoot them, as is common with spree murderers. There were no recorded cases of stand-offs with the law.”
Thanks for sharing this excellent information.

Todt’s business was also heavily in debt. Over the course of late 2018 and early 2019, Todt was the subject of three civil judgments involving three creditors totaling more than $500,000.

As of Wednesday, he still owed $36,200 to Business Merchants Funding and $63,525, to Green Capital Funding LLC, records show.

Todt’s Family Physical Therapy practice also leased office space at 3 Weymouth Roadin Enfield from 2014 to 2018. His quarterly rent was based on the cash flow of the business.

“In 2018, Family Physical Therapy ceased making the payments … and has surrendered and vacated the premises,” says a lawsuit filed in January by the landlord, Enfield Club Properties, LLC. The landlord is seeking more than $15,000 in damages.
https://insurancenewsnet.com/oartic...investigators-and-federal-agents#.XiBkbcpMGhB

A local TV reporter interviewed a next door neighbor and the neighbor said the investigators
asked her several times if she ever smelled bleach or chlorine smells coming from the
murder home. Neighbor said no but she believed bleach was used because of the questions.
WFTV says family believed to be killed on Dec.
31st.

A local TV reporter interviewed a next door neighbor and the neighbor said the investigators
asked her several times if she ever smelled bleach or chlorine smells coming from the
murder home. Neighbor said no but she believed bleach was used because of the questions.
WFTV says family believed to be killed on Dec.
31st.
Wow. Would you happen to have a link to this reporter stating this?

Why did he need all of these loans? What was he doing with his money? I am guessing that he had been living a double life. First, he moved his family away from Connecticut despite continuing to run, apparently, multiple clinics there. That seems to suggest a need to put some distance between two lives. I suspect that he was siphoning cash out of his business and personal finances to fund living expenses for a girlfriend in Connecticut. Another possibility is that he was an addicted gambler.

RS&BBM

I pretty much said the same thing back in post #61 While this (vice/girlfriend/gambling) seems like the logical answer to where the money went with essentially nothing to show for it, I'm not so sure we can apply much logic to this case.

SNIPPED [QUOTE="CluelessWonder, post: 15725525, member: 99856"

It's painful to know that a family was hurting so close by. Obviously, I would have sacrificed all of our Christmas spending to help out a family in crisis. In fact, I've talked in the past about how we don't really need anything and should spend our money to help people who are more needy. I almost did it this year, but I thought my kids would protest. It turns out that I didn't spend much on them but got some things they like, and they were very happy. So I think I'm going to give it a shot next year. I just need to find a way to identify a family in need.

.[/QUOTE]

off topic but USPS every year does something called Operation Santa. They publish the letter kids wrote to Santa and you can sponsor a family/or just one child. You can sort by your state. It's a beautiful thing.

edited to add text.
That's what I thought and then deleted. He had opportunities to shower after being arrested. I wonder how long it takes to wash off. Surely he had to shower? Jmo

Here's the tweet about the smell:

Stephanie Bechara (@BecharaReports) | Twitter

Stephanie Bechara‏ @BecharaReports 19h19 hours ago
Anthony Todt had a strong odor as he walked past us... I will be live at 5pm w/more about his family. @News13JeffAllen will also be live talking about this criminal case from the scene where it happened. @MyNews13 #News13Osceola #Celebration #DeathInvestigation #TodtFamily

To keep the cycle going, Todt charged for procedures that were never performed and then funneled payments from Medicaid, Medicare and private health insurance into his bank accounts, agents said. That way, he was able to cover the automated withdrawals to the short-term lenders.

"No, it's me," Todt told investigators.

When he was asked why he did it, Todt said it was “easier” that trying to borrow money.

He said he defrauded the government to “keep pace” with personal loans.

“When asked if he was living above his means, Todt replied, ‘That's the best way to put it,’ ” according to the federal records.

Even though he agreed to plead guilty and meet with an attorney to work out the details of his federal prosecution, Todt didn’t follow up with the agents after the December 4, 2019 conversation.

Investigators met with his employees, who said Todt didn’t return from Florida in December to treat patients in Connecticut as planned. He kept in touch with one employee through sporadic text messages that month. But workers said some of their paychecks bounced. Then, they said, they stopped getting checks. So they stopped showing up for work and both locations closed.
Feds Accused Dad in Celebration Slaying Case of Health Care Fraud
Kept in touch with 1 employee via sporadic text messages. Hmmmm. Bet it is a female employee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kac313