TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, based on what I can see in the video, I believe the shooter is female.

The husband does not present any obvious motive to have his wife harmed.
Nothing in this lady`s background suggests she had trouble with anybody.

This was not random either, there was a motive.
I`m thinking this is because of a perceived wrong against an unreasonable thinking woman.

A minor traffic accident, overlooking a request to visit in hospital a sick child who subsequently died. Even looking at somebody the wrong way.

For me, it`s for these reasons the motive is most likely only known by two people, the victim and the murderer. Otherwise I feel the cops would be onto something by now.

MOO!

This was brought up awhile ago, and I think the statement means the truck was caught on video directly after the shooting, as it was leaving. I do not think it was cruising the neighborhood hours or days after the crime. But that is just my interpretation of this statement from this news article below. Note that it is not a direct quote from LE, but is the wording from the article:
“The videos showed the truck in the neighborhood the night before and again after the murder."

Tomball murder mystery: Who killed Elizabeth Barraza?

I take the statement differently. I take it as the murderer being caught on camera in the neighborhood two separate times other than the actual shooting and getaway. The night before the murder, and at some point after the murder.

If the murderer did return, IMO, I don't think it was hours or days later. More likely it would have been minutes later.

Just a possibility from looking at a map of the area. The murderer could possibly have left the neighborhood after the shooting via Princeton Pl. Dr., made a right on Kuykendahl, and then a right on London Way. London Way leads back to Gilbough Dr. and Elizabeth's neighborhood.

Hopefully with the year anniversary coming up, more information will be released. Elizabeth's murder needs to be solved.

This was brought up awhile ago, and I think the statement means the truck was caught on video directly after the shooting, as it was leaving. I do not think it was cruising the neighborhood hours or days after the crime. But that is just my interpretation of this statement from this news article below. Note that it is not a direct quote from LE, but is the wording from the article:
“The videos showed the truck in the neighborhood the night before and again after the murder."

Tomball murder mystery: Who killed Elizabeth Barraza?
A black pickup is seen before and after the murder? How do LE know it is the SAME truck? I doubt it is because they have the license plate number or we would already have a POI. A pickup truck in Texas or Louisiana when I was growing up was called a 'country cadillac'. They are even more common now. I wonder if LE is misquoted - that is, LE is not 100% sure it is the same truck - or there is something distinctive about this truck.

Just my observation and opinion.
Trucks are the vehicle of choice in Houston and surrounding areas. Bigger the better. Top two manufacturers - Ford and Chevy.
White and black seem to be common colors. Although white trucks are common due to the amount of company/fleet vehicles in the area. The plants seem to favor white vehicles.

Did the truck have the pro fx decal or just the package? Are the black rails on top a luggage rack?
(Kayak and canoe rack are common but those are add ons)

If that’s the case - then it would stand out to me, but that’s just my viewpoint.

I don’t think more than one person need be involved...but it does seem strange that the right truck has never been identified in a year’s time. The truck not being found is amazing to me...
Although I've been a member for 3 yrs, I've only posted 4 or 5 times (to a different forum/thread, all in the last week or so), so I'm still learning the ropes.

I have two theories on this case. The first involves the husband (only because the odds are high statically). The second involves EB's job as a data analyst, and the nature of the services her employer (the corporation) provides to its clients in the oil and gas industry. I thought I'd mention the second theory here, as it hasn't really been addressed yet in the thread.

From its website, it appears that EB's employer is a large corporation that provides systems and services to "enterprise clients" in the oil and gas industry - an industry in which enormous amounts of money are often invested and at stake.

Under the broad definition of asset management, the corporation does things like: inspect tank farms, transmission pipelines, and gas distribution systems. They assure compliance with gov't and industry regulations, determine the safety and integrity of assets and systems, evaluate system performance and production, and determine asset and system market values (I assume by doing appraisals, calculating depreciation, life cycles, doing risk assessments, evaluating market conditions, etc.). I assume that the end results of their work are then published in some kind of report and presented to the client, a gov't entity, potential investors, or other parties.

Obviously, to an enterprise client in the oil and gas industry, there could be significant positive or negative implications which might result from such a report. Having such power over large market value enterprise clients with so much at stake might create an environment where corruption could occur - an environment in which the corporation, the enterprise clients, various gov't oversight entities, and investors might all need to be diligent to guard against crimes like extortion and bribery.

An enterprise client might be tempted to try to influence an employee of the corporation (say, to alter or suppress report results), or an employee of the corporation might be tempted to try to profit from altering or suppressing report results. Likewise, an investor or representative of the gov't might be tempted to influence outcomes for one reason or another (I know, say it ain't so!).

Given the above, I think it's worth considering whether the motive behind EB's murder could've been related to her job. It certainly would be possible that someone associated with the corporation, an enterprise client, or an investor might have wanted her dead. In conversations during the course of regular business, such a person might have been able to acquire advanced knowledge of Elizabeth's plans to be off that day, as well as her plan to hold a garage sale. In the same way they might have come to know her husband's work schedule.

Re: other/certain aspects of the crime:

I think EB was specifically targeted (I don't think this was a random shooter thing like they had not too long ago in Tampa). If it was a hit man commissioned by the husband, I think police would have probably solved the crime by now.

I think the suspect was a man dressed as a woman (this based on height, gait, right arm/hand strength, and familiarity with a handgun (the shooter may have even killed someone in this manner before). Re: the "experienced or trained shooter" discussion, I don't think many armed robbers or hit men (assuming such a person is involved) utilize a two-handed grip and self-defense stance in the commission of their crimes.

I think that if the murder was work related, it is likely that a hit man was utilized, possibly one from a gang operating on one or both sides of the border. The suspect might reside in Mexico, or even be in the US illegally (and as such might not have a DL, a record, or be listed in LE print and DNA databases). The black truck also fits this scenario, being of a type often utilized off-road, on ranches, and on back roads. The truck could have come from (and returned) across the border, or it could be a hidden, unregistered, or re-plated vehicle belonging to a gang operating in TX or the southwestern US.

Pigging - Wikipedia

• The Asset Care division is mainly concerned with pipeline inspections all over the world. In addition to pipelines, the corporate group also inspects other industrial plants and systems, such as tank systems and pressure vessels, refineries, wind power plants, trains, or tankers. The required inspection devices – among other things, pigs for the internal and unmanned inspection of pipelines – are developed and manufactured inhouse.[16]The big data volumes generated during an inspection are processed, analyzed, and provided to the customers for their decision-making process. The services offered exceed mere inspection and diagnosis. They also include the development of specific programs for maintenance and repair planning as well as for the integrity of technical plans and systems.
PIGS are the core of the company’s business. I have actually seen their products and looked at sample data reports.

Last edited:
First off, based on what I can see in the video, I believe the shooter is female.

The husband does not present any obvious motive to have his wife harmed.
Nothing in this lady`s background suggests she had trouble with anybody.

This was not random either, there was a motive.
I`m thinking this is because of a perceived wrong against an unreasonable thinking woman.

A minor traffic accident, overlooking a request to visit in hospital a sick child who subsequently died. Even looking at somebody the wrong way.

For me, it`s for these reasons the motive is most likely only known by two people, the victim and the murderer. Otherwise I feel the cops would be onto something by now.

MOO!
Your theory is a possibility -- if there happened to be a one-sided rivalry- or jealousy-type thing going on in cosplay, it's possible no one noticed it, or it was just getting started. All it might have taken to fire someone up might be a new costume or casually-meant type remark towards the person who shot her.
Also,
Welcome to Websleuths,
LiamF !!

Last edited:
Sherlock Holmes is fictional. That's a fact. He never existed except in someone's imagination, perhaps as a theory of sorts.

<modsnip> Arthur Conan Doyle's words are brilliant in this regard, however, regardless of whose mouth he put them into. LE doesn't form theories first then figure out ways to make the facts into the theory. Just a reminder that when we're stuck going in circles, stick to the facts.

ETA: and, unfortunately, we don't have them all.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip>Arthur Conan Doyle's words are brilliant in this regard, however, regardless of whose mouth he put them into. LE doesn't form theories first then figure out ways to make the facts into the theory. Just a reminder that when we're stuck going in circles, stick to the facts.

ETA: and, unfortunately, we don't have them all.
<modsnip> Hopefully someday soon we'll have enough facts to solve EB's murder. She deserves that. Just glad to live in a world where it's okay to disagree.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it was job related , wouldn't there be some kind of threats by email , phone or whatever first and she would have probably shared this with someone her husband, a friend or her boss but who knows. Everything is possible.
Good point. Seems she would have told her husband, her father, or a friend

If it was job related , wouldn't there be some kind of threats by email , phone or whatever first and she would have probably shared this with someone her husband, a friend or her boss but who knows. Everything is possible.

Yes, you would certainly think so. Yet perhaps LE is holding their cards close to the vest. Also, some people can hold grudges for YEARS, and it could be something we would think is silly. But it's deadly serious to the "wronged" party.

I am still stunned that this one has not been solved. LE has the exact time of the murder and multiple videos of the car and the perp (albeit bad video of the perp). I was just thinking when this happened that they would be able to follow an electronic trail and get this person. There must be video on the highways of this person's car coming and going, some connection to EB. Either this person is incredibly clever or incredibly lucky.

Good point. Seems she would have told her husband, her father, or a friend

It's possible she might not have been aware of any threat. A customer, client, co-worker, etc. might have chosen not to show their hand or make overt threats.

A routine part of this type of investigation would include questioning people at Elizabeth's work, checking to see if someone she worked with might have held a grudge. Has LE indicated yet that its not work related?

I have the same question about the actions of the killer. JMO, they did look as though they were experienced or at had at least carefully rehearsed the shooting. I'm not an expert, but the swift and accurate shooting, the quick movements and precise posture to move in for the one handed "kill" shot, etc. looked like a trained or experienced killer. The whole thing happened very quickly and they apparently covered their tracks sufficiently to keep LE from finding and arresting them a year later.

Although I've been a member for 3 yrs, I've only posted 4 or 5 times (to a different forum/thread, all in the last week or so), so I'm still learning the ropes.

I have two theories on this case. The first involves the husband (only because the odds are high statically). The second involves EB's job as a data analyst, and the nature of the services her employer (the corporation) provides to its clients in the oil and gas industry. I thought I'd mention the second theory here, as it hasn't really been addressed yet in the thread.

From its website, it appears that EB's employer is a large corporation that provides systems and services to "enterprise clients" in the oil and gas industry - an industry in which enormous amounts of money are often invested and at stake.

Under the broad definition of asset management, the corporation does things like: inspect tank farms, transmission pipelines, and gas distribution systems. They assure compliance with gov't and industry regulations, determine the safety and integrity of assets and systems, evaluate system performance and production, and determine asset and system market values (I assume by doing appraisals, calculating depreciation, life cycles, doing risk assessments, evaluating market conditions, etc.). I assume that the end results of their work are then published in some kind of report and presented to the client, a gov't entity, potential investors, or other parties.

Obviously, to an enterprise client in the oil and gas industry, there could be significant positive or negative implications which might result from such a report. Having such power over large market value enterprise clients with so much at stake might create an environment where corruption could occur - an environment in which the corporation, the enterprise clients, various gov't oversight entities, and investors might all need to be diligent to guard against crimes like extortion and bribery.

An enterprise client might be tempted to try to influence an employee of the corporation (say, to alter or suppress report results), or an employee of the corporation might be tempted to try to profit from altering or suppressing report results. Likewise, an investor or representative of the gov't might be tempted to influence outcomes for one reason or another (I know, say it ain't so!).

Given the above, I think it's worth considering whether the motive behind EB's murder could've been related to her job. It certainly would be possible that someone associated with the corporation, an enterprise client, or an investor might have wanted her dead. In conversations during the course of regular business, such a person might have been able to acquire advanced knowledge of Elizabeth's plans to be off that day, as well as her plan to hold a garage sale. In the same way they might have come to know her husband's work schedule.

Re: other/certain aspects of the crime:

I think EB was specifically targeted (I don't think this was a random shooter thing like they had not too long ago in Tampa). If it was a hit man commissioned by the husband, I think police would have probably solved the crime by now.

I think the suspect was a man dressed as a woman (this based on height, gait, right arm/hand strength, and familiarity with a handgun (the shooter may have even killed someone in this manner before). Re: the "experienced or trained shooter" discussion, I don't think many armed robbers or hit men (assuming such a person is involved) utilize a two-handed grip and self-defense stance in the commission of their crimes.

I think that if the murder was work related, it is likely that a hit man was utilized, possibly one from a gang operating on one or both sides of the border. The suspect might reside in Mexico, or even be in the US illegally (and as such might not have a DL, a record, or be listed in LE print and DNA databases). The black truck also fits this scenario, being of a type often utilized off-road, on ranches, and on back roads. The truck could have come from (and returned) across the border, or it could be a hidden, unregistered, or re-plated vehicle belonging to a gang operating in TX or the southwestern US.
I was one that really looked at the work angle early on. I personally thought it might have a strong possibility as well. I didn't discuss it much at the time as I didn't know that it had been disclosed in msm where she worked and therefore we couldn't discuss. I apologize , I dislike when people do this, but can someone fill me in on if we are able to discuss that aspect now?

In spite of many houses and possibily lots of cameras being in the vicinity of the killer , it seems interesting to me she/he took the risk of being caught with a clear face on a good video. One wonders whether he was aware of the condition and places of the cameras. This poor video is too much luck imo.

Good questions. Since LE has said 2 people perhaps were involved in the murder, it's possible the killer is calling or texting their accomplice. Also possibly adjusting and checking their disguise/costume, trying to collect their thoughts and get up the courage. It was definitely planned some time in advance, per LE in the news media. The killer's movements look a little rehearsed, JMO, like they'd rehearsed this or had some experience.

On Gray Hughes video, the comment about Lola L..O..L..A... seems possible. It does look like a man dressed as a woman, though not a large man. The *advertiser censored* look fake, true. The white boots look kind of odd, too. Not a style you see women wearing these days, if that's what they are. Was there any informal consensus on the type of footwear and clothing the killer was wearing?

[bbm]

I thought the black & white was reversed because some videos do that - so that the boots may actually be black. Maybe someone who's more of an expert can chime in.

In spite of many houses and possibily lots of cameras being in the vicinity of the killer , it seems interesting to me she/he took the risk of being caught with a clear face on a good video. One wonders whether he was aware of the condition and places of the cameras. This poor video is too much luck imo.
Exactly my thought. I swear though these perps get lucky so often and here I am can’t even win $1 on a scratch-off. Smh. I think this was an inside job, not sure who though. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member