Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think that is a lie?
Yes, I do. At the very least not the whole truth. It just doesn't make sense.

That being said, I do believe what happened to Harley was a tragic accident. I don't believe he was murdered and stuffed in the chimney.

But LE's story about randomly deciding to search that particular house after 25 days - having allegedly checked the outside and locks thoroughly before - makes absolutely no sense at all. Something got them to search inside of that house that night. I just wonder what it was.

While I would agree totally that a certain amount of ineptness by LE was very evident, I don’t think we should blame that totally on the chief of police. My parents have lived there since 1995, I have spent more days in PC than I can try and count. This is a small, mostly quiet, driven by tourism town. They’ve not had anything near this severity happen. Obviously they failed poor Harley!!! However he did call in multiple other LE experts, and they didn’t suggest this either. I don’t know Chief Hickman, but I think he tried to get all hands on deck to help suggest things like examine all vacant places.... in some ways other LE failed this town too. MOO
Thanks for lending this perspective. Although I'm steaming upset with LE, it does sound unfair to put it solely on Chief Hickman. Hoping the town can heal and move forward.

Best and worst aspects of social media on display in Dilly saga

PORT CLINTON, Ohio (WTVG) - Social media can be one of the best vehicles for getting the word out about a missing person. But it can also be used as a platform for cruelty.

Remembering+Harley+gfx.jpg

Remembering Harley

In the case of Harley Dilly's disappearance and death, it's been used for both.

The Port Clinton Police Department used social media to get pictures and a description of Dilly out to the public when he was missing. As a result, members of the community joined in the search efforts to find the teen.

Police also used Facebook to update the public and media about the progress of the investigation.

But residents in Port Clinton say social media has been filled with criticism and condemnation of the police and the family in this case, and many residents say it's left some pretty deep and lasting scars.

Marc Wolfe is a community business leader who helped raise more than $20,000 for the reward fund to find Harley, only to come up against harsh criticism for any efforts to help Harley's family.
continued at link

Last edited:
OMG.OMG. It just struck me like a bolt of lightning at the grocery store.
Harley wanted to be. YouTube censation, and be liked.
So a group of his friends,and aquainences knew of a Summer house,where the homeowner wouldn't be there for months. (Even if adults didn't know)So they all decide together who is the smallest,and could gain entry easier than any of them, so they can get in then unlock the house for everyone else. Then BAM Party is on, and no one will be the wiser. Only things didn't go as planned. Harley was a no show. Maybe they thought he was a runaway,and we're covering for him. So when asked they know nothing. Until furthering questioning. So the stupid teenage party plan is finally revealed. So the home got checked,and that's when it was discovered he was stuck in the chimney the whole time.
MOO.
That would explain the mom not wanting to jeopardize Harley. She didn't want to say too much,and spook any of the kids who might be in the know,and why Chief Hickman was so evasive,and defensive when answering questions,about why now go back to that house,and check it out. It's because it comes down to stupid teenagers,doing what stupid teenagers do. If your parents aren't going out if town,find somewhere else to throw a party. I must admit,and apologize for being too hard on Chief Hickman. He did the best he could to protect,and serve. This is so heartbreaking,and sad.
MOO.

It’s very plausible but since there’s zero supporting evidence it doesn’t amount to much. IMO

I don’t think he threw the glasses, they were probably in the pocket of the coat and fell out with all the pushing he had to do with his feet to get the coat down the chimney. He probably would have been afraid to damage the glasses and get in trouble so protected them in the puffy pocket, seeing the hole was going to be tight, took the jacket off and shoved it down before squeezing in. Thinking ahead slightly that he might want the jacket once in the house. Thank God he did or LE may not have found him til hot weather. I wonder if someone searching with a drone saw the jacket through the window and called LE. They deserve some reward if that happened.

His glasses were destroyed and both sides were already taped up.

PORT CLINTON, Ohio (WTVG) - Social media can be one of the best vehicles for getting the word out about a missing person. But it can also be used as a platform for cruelty.

Remembering Harley

The Port Clinton Police Department used social media to get pictures and a description of Dilly out to the public when he was missing. As a result, members of the community joined in the search efforts to find the teen.

Police also used Facebook to update the public and media about the progress of the investigation.

But residents in Port Clinton say social media has been filled with criticism and condemnation of the police and the family in this case, and many residents say it's left some pretty deep and lasting scars.

Marc Wolfe is a community business leader who helped raise more than $20,000 for the reward fund to find Harley, only to come up against harsh criticism for any efforts to help Harley's family.
continued/video at link

If we are to be perfectly honest here, if there’s blame to be laid, it’s not at the feet of law enforcement.

That being said, I do believe what happened to Harley was a tragic accident. I don't believe he was murdered and stuffed in the chimney.

But LE's story about randomly deciding to search that particular house after 25 days - having allegedly checked the outside and locks thoroughly before - makes absolutely no sense at all. Something got them to search inside of that house that night. I just wonder what it was.

Or ...the explanation given is the truth.
They went back to the very beginning canvassing anything they didn’t cover previously.

Or ...maybe someone else, on their own, went in there to search, look around, rob or whatever and saw the glasses, jacket and was overwhelmed by the odor and reported it.

Last edited:
It’s very plausible but since there’s zero supporting evidence it doesn’t amount to much. IMO
It amounts to different perspective of why Harley was there,and can give a glimpse into the teen angst world,and the network of not being a narc,and not trusting anyone over the age of 30. For future reference.

Was this house furnished?

If they use it in the summer and we’re just there in November, I’m going to guess YES.

I’m still more than a little stunned Harley at 14, was up & out at 6am and illegally entering someone else’s home! Was that his plan that day ? Is that why he wanted to stay home?

I don't think LE went back to the house "randomly".

They said it was because they noticed the lockbox.

Which hadn't been noticed the first time around because it was on the BACK door.

I think it likely that perhaps the officer(s) doing the initial canvas saw the lockbox when they checked the doors, but didn't think of all the ways in which a lockbox might affect the accessibility of the house.

Then when the chief saw it later he had a better understanding of what it might mean, and decided to look more closely.

MOO

Last edited:
I am stuck at seeing that he was found only 1/3 of the way down the chimney and his coat was inside. I thought I resolved the fact that he got all the way down, pushed his coat and glasses through the flew or whatever and then had nowhere to go because the chimney was blocked between the 1st and 2nd floor. There is no way that a puffer jacket has enough weight to make it to the bottom, let alone through the flew. Or on second thought, maybe, the 1/3 way down does represent where the second floor is and he was at the flew area.

Was this house furnished?

If they use it in the summer and we’re just there in November, I’m going to guess YES.

I’m still more than a little stunned Harley at 14, was up & out at 6am and illegally entering someone else’s home! Was that his plan that day ? Is that why he wanted to stay home?
I think a lot people, kids do that. I've watched quite a few YouTube videos where someone goes into haunted,or abandoned house. I've just recently found out that many of these places are not really abandoned. So these guys are trespassing. Crazy huh?

Port Clinton homeowner speaks about layout of chimney where body of Harley Dilly was discovered

I do believe this was a tragic accident. That said I still always wonder the thought process that led HD to enter the chimney. From the article above, the homeowner said the baseboard heat was on low. Those are usually electric. Just wondered if they had low lights on in the house during the dark hours and the flue was uncovered. Maybe Harley looked in the chimney in the dark, saw some light below and assumed there would be an exit for him.
The theories in prior posts that he had put his glasses in the coat pocket makes sense to me too. Especially if they weren't in the greatest shape before.
I am just thankful the coat and glasses were pushed out of the flue, otherwise who knows how long before he would have been found.

I think a lot people, kids do that. I've watched quite a few YouTube videos where someone goes into haunted,or abandoned house. I've just recently found out that many of these places are not really abandoned. So these guys are trespassing. Crazy huh?
Very, i was far from being an angel as a teenager but breaking into someone’s home NEVER crossed my mind, I still won’t go into my mother’s purse, instead I bring it to her.
But I was raised to respect other people, their belongings, their privacy & healthy boundaries-
These basic simple things were missing in that house.

Very, i was far from being an angel as a teenager but breaking into someone’s home NEVER crossed my mind, I still won’t go into my mother’s purse, instead I bring it to her.
But I was raised to respect other people, their belongings, their privacy & healthy boundaries-
These basic simple things were missing in that house.
Same here. I did have a party when my parents were on vacation in my hayday, but I would never go into someone's vacation home.got busted. I still bring my mom's purse to her when she wants something out of it. It irritates her,that I bring her whole purse,when she only wants one thing. Lol. But I don't like digging in her purse. It just feels wrong.

The following is all my opinion/speculation:
I agree with many that he just didn't want to go to school, and he "found" a place, close to home, where he thought he could hangout and stay warm. maybe he had plans to spend a lot of time there over the next few months, or until he got caught. maybe he was going to rob the place. I doubt it, though. if that was his goal, breaking a window would have been a lot easier. He was trying to stay unnoticed.
I also think he probably waited until it at least started to get light out before climbing the antenna. Also, there was a lot of snow on the ground, but the roof almost had to be clear of snow. I don't know how long the Dilly's have lived there, but I'm sure he has fantasized about climbing that antenna for some time. It wouldn't shock me if that hadn't been the first time he's been on that roof. He obviously went up there with the intention of climbing down the chimney. Had he looked down the chimney before?
Without knowing more specifics and details, my theories could be way off, or even impossible. But I'm basing them on the assumption that that chimney was the same size all the way down to where it "ended" at the floor level of the second story. Also, what, and where, was the flue? It sounds like it was just a hole in the side of the chimney. Where would it be? Somewhere towards the ceiling of the second story. Let's say it was six feet above the floor. I'm sure it had some kind of a cover on it, but he was apparently able to open, or remove, the cover.
So he climbs up on the chimney (wearing both his coat and glasses) and sits on the edge with his legs dangling inside the chimney, and slowly starts to lower himself into the chimney. Now I can't decide if I think that he was able to descend the chimney in a controlled manor (using his feet, knees, butt, chest, back, elbows, and hands to leverage against opposing walls), or if he passed the point of no return, couldn't pull himself back up, and eventually had to let go and fall the twelve or fifteen feet down to the second story floor, but either way he ended up at the bottom. I also feel that his coat was likely pulled off as he descended. Especially if his arms were extended above his head.
So now he is at the bottom of the chimney, and realizes he is in big trouble. He may even have a broken ankle, or something. Even if he was able to safely descend into the chimney, I envision the space being too small for him to be able to get enough leverage to climb back out. I think it COULD be possible to climb out if he had more room, but sadly, that space was just so small. You really need to almost be able to bring your knees up out in front of you.
My best guess is that his arms were over his head. Or, if his arms weren't initially over his head, he was able to get them up there. So he felt the flue opening (that I'm assuming is about six feet above the floor) and opened the cover. I believe he pushed his coat and glasses through the flue (that was above his head) in hopes that someone would search the house and see them. God, I hope he didn't do it while thinking he was doing it so they could find his body. It was actually a really smart thing to do. Sadly, it wont bring him back, but I bet that he would still be missing if he hadn't done that. Even if they searched that house, they still probably wouldn't have found him. Who knows? He may have NEVER been found otherwise.
On another note, I have to disagree with the criticism of law enforcement in this case. They did their best. There were NO signs of foul play, and he could have been ANYWHERE within 1000 miles of home. It was just a freak accident, with freak circumstances. I know the critic's hearts are in the right place, and it is frustrating and shocking how close to home he was found, but think about the thousands of other places that the police DID look for him.
That does bring me to another thing, though. I'm not sure that I'm buying the official cause of death. Again, this is assuming that the entire chimney was a constant 9 x 13 vertically all the way down, but unless he initially entered the chimney with his knees tucked under his chin, I don't think it would be possible for him to get his legs folded up against his chest once he was inside the chimney. Also, I'm not even sure it would have been possible for him to enter the chimney with his legs folded up, and it seems like a very unusual way to climb down into something anyway. So assuming he is basically standing in the chimney, I don't see where the compression on his chest would come from. So how did he die? Well, one thought is would he eventually asphyxiate from a lack of oxygen? Did the chimney eventually fill up with his expelled breath, and there wasn't enough airflow to circulate the air and replenish the oxygen? I'm not even sure if this is a feasible explanation (especially when assuming that the flue hole would only help circulate the air). So what are the other options? Dehydration or hypothermia (not sure how cold it was in there) are really the only other two that I can think of.
So why would the authorities lie about his cause of death? Well, I can think of several reasons. First, what ever way he went was undoubtedly unpleasant, it just seems easier to accept (for everyone) to believe that he went relatively quickly as opposed to living that horror for four or five days, or so. Second, it also avoids the criticism and negative public sentiment where people could have said that the police COULD have saved him if they were better at their jobs. Third, I think it should prevent any kind of lawsuit from the family. It just makes things so much easier on the police if they can claim that he was already dead before he was even reported missing.
That being said, most likely the official cause of death is true. I'm generally an advocate of truth, but I wouldn't blame them if they were trying to cover this up to prevent bankrupting the town with a frivolous lawsuit. I personally don't feel that law enforcement screwed up. Again, it was just a freak accident with freak circumstances. Very sad.

Expert explains chimney design to surmise how Harley Dilly's coat, glasses were on 2nd floor of house

A local chimney expert agreed to talk to us anonymously about chimney design in order to shed light on the situation. Not knowing the exact layout of the house's chimney, or if there was even a fireplace opening, at 507 Fulton St., he agreed to talk in general terms.

The home on Fulton Street in Port Clinton was built in 1850, according to property records. According to police, there is a flue on the second floor. Police said that Harley climbed an antenna tower on the side of the home to access the roof. Once on the roof, he made his way to the chimney - near the center of the roof.

The home’s chimney is 9 inches by 13 inches, small but not too small for a teen who weighed about 100 pounds to squeeze into.

According to the expert, looking into the opening, the smoke shelf can be seen and that would appear to be the bottom of the chimney. However, the opening then takes a sharp twist.

The flue, which could be angled in the open position, is located there. If the glasses and coat were dropped, they would be deflected onto the floor. Besides the chimney opening twisting at that site, it also narrows to roughly six inches, making it impossible for anyone of any size to squeeze through that area.

Video at link:
Expert explains chimney design to surmise how Harley Dilly's coat, glasses were on 2nd floor of house

"ALLEGEDLY" They decided to re-cavnass all the homes in the area. NOW, idk if it was the lockbox that caught their attn OR, the window on the crawl space. IF you notice that in one of the pictures it looks like one of the windows on, what looks to be a basement window, was pushed in or broken. It was shown in one of the many MSM broadcasts, but I can't find it currently, I will continue looking.

HOWEVER, the fact that it took 41 hours for him to be called in as Missing negates any and everything in this case. This is just a boy who had a misadventure as much as our hearts don't want to accept it. The police had dogs around the house, BUT brick conceals a LOT especially when it's cold and above where they are searching.

The 1 thing that gets me is....how clean the coat looked when it was hanging up, BUT that could be due to the fact that the chimney hadn't been used in 10+ years and they were renovating.

Remembering Harley

continued at link

DBM double post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members