Chase Merritt SENTENCED TO DEATH for murder of McStay Family POST TRIAL THOUGHTS

There seemed to be a disagreement between the judge and Maline over when McGee first said he might have to withdraw from the case (ie. they first knew about these issues). Maline thinks it was later.

which is interesting... if McGee and the judge discussed something without Maline/Merritt's knowledge....

I think it just came down to Merritt and Maline wanting to bring up the cell tower stuff in post conviction motions... McGee stood by his decision not to do that, I wish the judge would have allowed testimony only so we could hear from McGee, because I'm nosey like that and want to know if that was the reason. :confused:

A Marsden motion is the only means by which a criminal defendant can fire a court-appointed attorney or communicate directly with a judge in a California ... A prosecutor may not be present during a court hearing on a Marsden Motion.

Could see this coming... as someone just listening to Maline this morning, I wanted to say "spit it out", uh uh uhhhh...

but I was thinking this would be an appeal lawyers grounds for "ineffectiveness of counsel".

A Marsden motion is the only means by which a criminal defendant can fire a court-appointed attorney or communicate directly with a judge in a California ... A prosecutor may not be present during a court hearing on a Marsden Motion.

I think this is what they did back in September? With McGee, when defense and Merritt went back into chambers.

Will that postpone the sentencing now?:eek::mad:

I don't know, I'm guessing it will. And I may not agree 100% with the verdict in this case or all the evidence, but one thing that I can say is that the families should NOT have to be put through all of this. These hearings should have been held BEFORE the sentencing hearing, and that is on the judge IMO They knew when the verdicts were reached that there would be motions filed. Get them filed, deal with them, and sentence Merritt. Let it play out in appeals later.

This is horrible for the family.

I think this is what they did back in September? With McGee, when defense and Merritt went back into chambers.
Right. But Maline was still onboard. NOW WHAT?
Could this could derail the entire proceedings and make them start some of this all over again?

I think CM thinks firing Maline now strengthens his appeal chances.
....and this case has only been going on for, what, 10, 11 years now? And skippy decides to fire his attorneys AFTER the verdict but BEFORE the sentencing. I guess next he'll be hiring Jose Baez on the State's dime?o_O

I think CM thinks firing Maline now strengthens his appeal chances.

I don't know what he's thinking. But I do know that I was reading comments while Maline was talking this morning, and everyone was saying he was stumbling, can only imagine how the death row client must have been hearing that as well. Regardless of how we feel about Merritt, part of the justice system is having competent representation for a defendant... did Maline sound competent this morning? (at one point Merritt had to correct him with a tower or azmuth or something)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back