Chase Merritt SENTENCED TO DEATH for murder of McStay Family POST TRIAL THOUGHTS

Ok, seriously, I don't think he needed to go into this much detail. This sounds just like the ruling he gave when there was a motion to dismiss after the State's case (wondering if he is actually reading that LOL)

Cathy Russon is saying in chat that if the sentencing is carried over to Tuesday, I don't think they will be streaming. They have other trials.

She said if it's a few weeks from now, they might be able to.

For the very first time ever, I can look at CM's face, and I see total hopelessness. He gets it now. This judge, who has the ultimate control over his fate, KNOWS he is a lying, thieving killer.

He has seen all of the evidence, has it all in his head and has contemplated and weighed it, and is now publicly calling him out for who and what he is and for what he has done. As is his job.

Ok, seriously, I don't think he needed to go into this much detail. This sounds just like the ruling he gave when there was a motion to dismiss after the State's case (wondering if he is actually reading that LOL)
I loved all the detail. He was just matching what Maline tried to do earlier today, with all the detailed stuff and the slides and graphs.

The judge batted that down and brought forth his own details. ;)

Whoa, court going beyond 4:00. I hope the judge wraps this up this evening. The weekend and MLK holiday Monday would be a hardship for the families.
I bet the McStay families are enjoying this input from the judge. He is showing the strength of the case and breaking Chases's delusional trance that his future includes freedom.

Except this time it includes reasons why the defense arguments didn't withstand scrutiny. I think the way he dismantled the DK defense was masterful.

Brian Rokos‏Verified account @Brian_Rokos 22m22 minutes ago
Judge Smith listed numerous examples of accounts being accessed and checks being written to Merritt from McStay accounts after family vanished on Feb 4. “All of that corroborates the financial motive made by the People.”

Brian Rokos‏Verified account @Brian_Rokos 21m21 minutes ago
More evidence: The bodies were buried sometime between Feb 5-11, 2010, and cell phone tower records show Merritt was in the area.

Brian Rokos‏Verified account @Brian_Rokos 19m19 minutes ago
Merritt’s DNA found on steering wheel and gear shift of McStays’ abandoned SUV near Mexico border, Smith said. Also, detectives noted that in an interview before McStays had been found dead, Merritt referred to them in the past tense.

Brian Rokos‏Verified account @Brian_Rokos 16m16 minutes ago
Merritt had photos of Joseph McStay’s phone records and other evidence on his phone.

Brian Rokos‏Verified account @Brian_Rokos 8m8 minutes ago
The judge is shooting down defense theories and explanations one by one.

Except this time it includes reasons why the defense arguments didn't withstand scrutiny. I think the way he dismissed the DK defense was masterful.

I have kind of zoned out... not even listening anymore, this is brutal. Just make a friggen ruling and move on. It's like the judge likes to hear his own voice. I know a lot here say Merritt has delayed this trial, etc.... but with this judge, nothing has happened quickly. A terrible example of the justice system.

I have kind of zoned out... not even listening anymore, this is brutal. Just make a friggen ruling and move on. It's like the judge likes to hear his own voice. I know a lot here say Merritt has delayed this trial, etc.... but with this judge, nothing has happened quickly. A terrible example of the justice system.
I think the judge is trying to get his own thoughts on record, as he knows this case will be appealed. He is putting on the record his many evidentiary reasons for denying the motions filed this morning. JMO

It's necessary for the record because of the motions brought. Maline was determined to keep talking, so he has to respond.

I think the judge is trying to get his own thoughts on record, as he knows this case will be appealed. He is putting on the record his many evidentiary reasons for denying the motions filed this morning. JMO

He doesn't have to do this though. If he has legal grounds to deny the ruling, deny it and move on. The more the judge talks, the more he gives for appeals.

I cannot recall ANY trial that I have watched that the judge goes on and on like this... anyone else?

The Mitchley video...what a coincidence that it stopped recording. Things that make you go "hmmmmm..."

He doesn't have to do this though. If he has legal grounds to deny the ruling, deny it and move on. The more the judge talks, the more he gives for appeals.

I cannot recall ANY trial that I have watched that the judge goes on and on like this... anyone else?
I have seen some long winded judicial findings. But he is one of the longest. on this particular day.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back